PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper chat - his thoughts on our draft

K-town
05-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Jason (Newark NJ): Good afternoon, Mel! What did you think about the Packer strategy of repeatedly trading back such that they wound up with 12 overall picks? Though the Packers certainly could use the volume, when you use hindsight do you think that the Packers passing on quality players higher to get to 12 overall picks was worthwhile?

Mel Kiper: As long as you don't lose out on players you need desperately it's okay to do that. I like moving down and coming out of the draft with 12 picks and guys who have character and toughenss like Hodge and Spitz. Colledge is a good pass blocker and WR Greg Jennings is an interesting guy in the second round. Overall, nine of the 12 probably have a future with the organization.

VegasPackFan
05-03-2006, 08:26 PM
9 out of 12 would be unreal!

gbpackfan
05-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, that is amazing. Especially considering we only started the draft with 7 picks! We may have 9 players that stick, which is 2 more players then we had picks on the Friday before the draft!

MacCool606
05-03-2006, 08:33 PM
I just wish I could think that Mel's opinion is worth something. I don't think he knows anything when I disagree with him, so I can't think he does when he says something I do.

billy_oliver880
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I don't know if I can trust anything from espn anymore! :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
05-03-2006, 09:01 PM
A.J. Hawk - Lock
Darryn Colledge - Lock
Greg Jennings - Lock
Abdul Hodge - Lock
Jason Spitz - Good bet
Cory Rodgers - Decent bet
Will Blackmon - Decent bet
Ingle Martin - Solid bet
Tony Moll - Longshot
Johnny Jolly - Longshot
Tyrone Culver - 50/50
Dave Tollefson - Longshot

I'd say the over and under on playrs that make the team is 8... maybe 7.5 if I can do percentages. It's possible it could be 9.

VegasPackFan
05-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Harv,

either way that would have to be considered a HUGE success if that happens. Any team would be happy with 4 or 5 starters/contributors out of 12 picks.

b bulldog
05-03-2006, 09:48 PM
I think Jolley will make the team at DT.

swede
05-04-2006, 07:42 AM
A.J. Hawk - Lock
Darryn Colledge - Lock
Greg Jennings - Lock
Abdul Hodge - Lock
Jason Spitz - Good bet
Cory Rodgers - Decent bet
Will Blackmon - Decent bet
Ingle Martin - Solid bet
Tony Moll - Longshot
Johnny Jolly - Longshot
Tyrone Culver - 50/50
Dave Tollefson - Longshot

That's a good list, Harv.

I'd only add that I think Cory Rodgers is closer to a decent bet as a return man and receiver. (I suspect here you may be thinking that the numbers are going to catch up with him in terms of how many receivers can be carried by the team,)

I'd also move Johnny Jolly and Tony Moll up to 50/50.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2006, 07:48 AM
That's a good list, Harv.

I'd only add that I think Cory Rodgers is closer to a decent bet as a return man and receiver. (I suspect here you may be thinking that the numbers are going to catch up with him in terms of how many receivers can be carried by the team,)

I'd also move Johnny Jolly and Tony Moll up to 50/50.

Yes, I think Cory Rodgers could be caught in a numbers game. He's the 6th wideout right now. Also, I think he was a reach. Some of these guys will disappoint, and I think he's one of the better candidates to disappoint--especially since Blackmon has a shot at usurping his return duties. Blackmon is probably closer to a solid or good bet. All he has to do is beat out Jason Horton or show that he can be the returner. Martin makes it because he only has to beat out Tom Arth. There is a severe logjam at DT, so any 6th round pick faces an uphill batttle. Culver has to beat out Roman or Underwood. I have Moll as a longshot for the roster (he's a good candidate for the practice squad). The Packers usually carry 9 OL, and I can't see Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Barry, Tauscher, Klemm, Spitz, or Coston being cut. That leaves one spot open for White, Whitticker, and Moll. I think the Packers will go with White. Whitticker doesn't seem to fit the scheme. Because both Barry and Klemm are pretty solid backing up the starters at OT, I can't see them carrying 3 backup OTs--even if Barry wins the RG spot. They'll figure if Tauscher gets, they can move Barry to RT and move Spitz, Coston, or White into the starting lineup.

Tarlam!
05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Letr's not forget if our 3rd string QB is Ingle and he punts, there's room for one more.