PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here, A theory on our passing game problems.

PackerBlues
09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Somebody help me out here with a different theory that came to mind. I was thinking about an article I had read in the preseason that I have been unable to dig up, that said something about Jones being trained exclusively at the same WR position as Driver. Now I understand the difference between the flanker and slot receiver, but I am just not really sure of what the difference would be with Donald being in the left flanker position, and Jones in the right flanker position. Hell, I don't even know if thats the right way to word it. I know that a lot of times the offense has mirrored routes, but I am wondering, since Jones was trained or prepped to run Drivers flanker position (according to the article that I cannot find to quote), would it have made any difference for him to have been playing opposite of Driver against the Eagles?

KYPack
09-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Whoever wrote that article didn't know what they were talking about OR that was true at the time. Right, Jones and DD are on the field at the same time

With Jennings out, Jones plays the flanker position, Driver plays split end on the other side.

When they run trips, Jones plays the flanker wide and DD plays split end, on the line & on the same side. Martin was the other split end on the opposite (weak) side.

A lot of time, mis-information happens when the coaches are "playing" with young sportswriters. Coaches will run sets at an open practive and have rookie writers ask 'em what they just saw. The coaches blow 'em shit because they know the young scribes don't know any better.

Packnut
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Somebody help me out here with a different theory that came to mind. I was thinking about an article I had read in the preseason that I have been unable to dig up, that said something about Jones being trained exclusively at the same WR position as Driver. Now I understand the difference between the flanker and slot receiver, but I am just not really sure of what the difference would be with Donald being in the left flanker position, and Jones in the right flanker position. Hell, I don't even know if thats the right way to word it. I know that a lot of times the offense has mirrored routes, but I am wondering, since Jones was trained or prepped to run Drivers flanker position (according to the article that I cannot find to quote), would it have made any difference for him to have been playing opposite of Driver against the Eagles?

The problem with our pass game is no threat of a run game. Philly's line was just teeing off.

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
The problem with our pass game is no threat of a run game. Philly's line was just teeing off.

Exactly. As some people said, it wouldn't matter if we had Randy Moss, if you can't establish the run you're not going to be able to pass the ball effectively.

FritzDontBlitz
09-11-2007, 05:26 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=659613

from today's jso, a paragraph that may help:

What's more, Jones is pretty much limited to a certain number of positions on the field because of his inexperience in the system, narrowing some of the creativity the coaches have with their offense. As a result, Driver had to fill in for Jennings in certain plays rather than work at his normal position.

Fritz
09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Jennings ought to be back next week. I wonder if he could block Mikey Strahan.

FritzDontBlitz
09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
regardless of how well versed james jones is in the different positions, ruvell martin (6'4") and carlyle holiday (6'2") have experience in the offense and both are tall with great hands. m3 needs to start putting more trust in them, especially with the injury situation being what it is. at the very least martin and holiday should see much more action in the red zone.

its just a thought but i kinda get the feeling that tt may actually be entertaining the thought of bringing k-rob back into the mix. how much longer before k-rob is even able to apply for reinstatement?

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
its just a thought but i kinda get the feeling that tt may actually be entertaining the thought of bringing k-rob back into the mix. how much longer before k-rob is even able to apply for reinstatement?

K-Rob, I think, is either available for reinstatement on Sept. 18th or Oct 18th, I can't remember which.

I know that some are worried whether K-Rob will be reinstated, but I really don't see how he wouldn't. He's done everything he's been asked to do by the league and the courts. Goodell is a hardass, yes, but I don't see how he could justify not admitting Robinson.

I'd welcome K-Rob back with open arms. I'd cut someone and add him so that we'll have 6 WR, at least until we realize who is expendable.

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Now, this is the way to be critical. Well done. Normally, you would have written something like this "The problem with our pass game is no threat of a run game because Thompson is such a failure. Philly's line was just teeing off and it's all Thompson's fault. Anybody that knows anything knows this. I told you this is the way it would be."
:D

BTW, I agree with you. More because of the run blocking than the runners--for this game anyways.

FritzDontBlitz
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
LOL

Freak Out
09-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I think if we had Mike Sherman as our offensive coordinator everything would be groovy. :smk:

FritzDontBlitz
09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
pass me some of that

Willard
09-11-2007, 07:42 PM

K-Rob, I think, is either available for reinstatement on Sept. 18th or Oct 18th, I can't remember which.

I know that some are worried whether K-Rob will be reinstated, but I really don't see how he wouldn't. He's done everything he's been asked to do by the league and the courts. Goodell is a hardass, yes, but I don't see how he could justify not admitting Robinson.

I'd welcome K-Rob back with open arms. I'd cut someone and add him so that we'll have 6 WR, at least until we realize who is expendable.

I just suggested the same remedy (KRob) in the Jennings/Injury thread. Best case scenario is he shows up in great shape and ready to go. I know he was signed to a 2 year contract. I don't know how the suspension affects contract length, but he is under contract with the Pack at least for this season when he is reinstated, provided TT gives him a roster spot.

Packnut
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Now, this is the way to be critical. Well done. Normally, you would have written something like this "The problem with our pass game is no threat of a run game because Thompson is such a failure. Philly's line was just teeing off and it's all Thompson's fault. Anybody that knows anything knows this. I told you this is the way it would be."
:D

BTW, I agree with you. More because of the run blocking than the runners--for this game anyways.

All I'm gonna say my esteemed friend is that it's:

HARD WORK BEING RIGHT SO OFTEN!

Scott Campbell
09-11-2007, 09:28 PM
All I'm gonna say my esteemed friend is that it's:

HARD WORK BEING RIGHT SO OFTEN!

I dunno about that. You do have a memory like a cornerback though. :lol: