PDA

View Full Version : Barnett Stepping Up His Game after Re-upping His Contract

vince
09-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Barnett Active And On The Attack

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 09/11/2007

A middle linebacker generally is expected to make a lot of tackles, simply because of the position he plays and where he lines up on the field. He's right in the middle of the action, but off the line of scrimmage and not immediately engaged by a blocker.

But Nick Barnett's 14-tackle performance in the season opener on Sunday against Philadelphia wasn't just a matter of the fifth-year pro being in the right place at the right time.

Barnett was seemingly in every place at every time. He was plugging the middle, knifing into the backfield, running down ballcarriers to either sideline or sticking with them in pass coverage. The press box statisticians credited Barnett with 13 tackles, including nine solo stops, and those numbers were upped to 14 tackles with 11 solo (one shy of his 2006 season highs in both categories) after the Packers coaching staff reviewed the film.

"He was outstanding in a lot of different areas -- in coverage, his assignments, his communication to the front, getting everybody lined up, as well as the impact tackles, chasing the ball, eliminating big runs," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "Just a lot of positive plays on Nick's part."

Barnett was a force the entire day, making impact plays both early and late in the game.

In the first quarter, on Philadelphia's second possession, Barnett dropped into coverage and leaped to intercept a Donovan McNabb pass intended for do-everything running back Brian Westbrook.

The turnover, which set up a field goal, showed not only a great reaction by Barnett to turn his body quickly while the ball was in the air, but also tremendous hands to snatch it cleanly without a bobble.

"That was a tough play for him," Sanders said. "He caught it at its highest point, he clamped down and assured the catch. That was a big play for us."

A few series later, Barnett also helped hold the Eagles to a field goal after a long drive. On third-and-goal on the Green Bay 5, Westbrook caught a short pass in the flat and was looking to turn the corner, but Barnett beat him to the edge and pushed him out of bounds for no gain.

Then in the fourth quarter, Barnett was a key player on the defense's biggest stop of the game. The score was tied at 13, and Philadelphia had just recovered a Brett Favre fumble for a first down on the Green Bay 38, already on the edge of kicker David Akers' range.

But on first down, Barnett used the initial backfield penetration by defensive tackle Johnny Jolly to stuff Correll Buckhalter for a 4-yard loss. Then another strong push by the defensive line helped Barnett and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett stop Westbrook for a 2-yard gain on second down.

"Just like I shared with the guys, I can't say enough about the play up front, which really allows Nick to do those types of things," Sanders said.

After a holding penalty on third-and-long pushed the Eagles well out of field-goal range, the defense had preserved the tie and gotten the ball back for the offense, which is exactly what Barnett told Favre the unit was going to do as the quarterback walked off the field following the crucial turnover.

"That's the type of defense we want to be," Barnett said.

It's almost imperative for Barnett to be so active for the defense to live up to that. Overall, the unit had a strong day against the Eagles, limiting a dangerous scrambler like McNabb to just nine yards rushing and less than 50 percent completions (15-of-33).

Even on Philadelphia's lone touchdown, Barnett had decent coverage on receiver Jason Avant on a crossing pattern, but McNabb's throw was perfect.

The Eagles finished with 283 yards, but Barnett felt it could have been much lower, a comment that reflected both the leadership role he has on this defense and the confidence and potential he believes it has.

"If we clean a couple of mental mistakes up, I don't think they get more than 200 yards," Barnett said. "But that comes with the first game, growing pains."

Barnett has certainly grown into a more recognizable figure on the defense with each passing season. He faces an uphill battle in that regard in the NFC North, playing the same position as Chicago Bears perennial Pro Bowler Brian Urlacher, but Head Coach Mike McCarthy has said several times that the more the Packers win, the more Barnett will be noticed for what he does on the field.

Like defensive end Aaron Kampman last year and cornerback Al Harris and defensive end Cullen Jenkins this year, Barnett is proving the multi-year contract extension he received this past offseason was a good investment by the Packers.

A 2003 first-round draft pick, Barnett has averaged 10.2 tackles per game throughout his career, and has recorded double-digit tackles in 33 of 63 career games, missing only two contests. He now has double figures in tackles in four of his last six games since missing last season's game in Seattle with a broken hand.

And since that didn't exactly slow him down, there's no reason to think he will now.

"He plays extremely hard, he gets himself in good position," Sanders said. "The thing about the defense is, when your number is up, that you're in position, and he made the plays he was supposed to make, and he made them in an impactful way."

vince
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Barnett is obviously benefitting from the front four, which is the way this defense is supposed to work, but you still got to hand it to him for being as active as he was this week.

That was a very nice pick going back against his momentum to snag that ball early in the game.

It's refreshing to see guys like Barnett and Kampman pick up their play after getting big dollars, as opposed to turds like Cletidus Hunt.

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 07:38 PM
The LB's should have monster years. That might have been the best game of Barnetts career.

Brainerd
09-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Something isn't right. The article praises Barnett, Kampman, Harris and Jenkins. These are all Sherman signings. They can't be any good. :shock:

vince
09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Something isn't right. The article praises Barnett, Kampman, Harris and Jenkins. These are all Sherman signings. They can't be any good. :shock:
All have come up big. There is a core of Sherman guys - veterans - that are leading this young team toward the next level. The fact that their talents are recognized, they're put in positions to succeed, and are amply recognized when they do so kind of shoots the "TT only likes his own guys" conspiracy theory right in the ass, doesn't it?

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Barnett is the 2nd best player on this team, IMO (behind Harris)

He is easily a Pro-Bowl caliber LB. Look at his stats from previous years. Every year he's had 100+ tackles. His stats improved from 2003-2005 and they probably would of continued to improve in '06 if it wasn't for his injury.

I know a few people say that he is an athlete playing football, he has no instincts, etc. That's BS.

He, for the most part, shut down Westbrook on Sunday. Westbrook has burned us in the past, but Barnett stuck it to him.
And to say he doesn't have instincts? Remember the play in preseason, against Jacksonville, when it was 3rd and 1 and the RB bounced outside the tackles and Barnett was right there? Yeah, that's instinct.

Barnett will make the Pro-Bowl this year, I guarantee it. He will also be our Defensive MVP. I guarantee that.

And for my best prediction.

Nick Barnett will statistically have a better season than Brian Urlacher. I guarantee that.

oregonpackfan
09-11-2007, 09:04 PM
This is a very interesting and complimentary article about the value of Barnett to the team.

Let's contrast those accolades with the scapegoating we have heard from BarnettBasshers, Inc. the past few years:

"Barnett is constantly out of position."

"He takes poor angles to the ball carrrier."

"Barnett cannot fight off blockers."

"He constantly overruns the play."

"Whatever tackles Barnett makes are at least 5 yards downfield."

"Most of Barnett's tackles are assists where he just piles onto the tackle that is already being made."

Charter members of BarnettBashers, Inc. are encouraged to add any quotes to the above which I have missed.

vince
09-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Barnett is the 2nd best player on this team, IMO (behind Harris)

He is easily a Pro-Bowl caliber LB. Look at his stats from previous years. Every year he's had 100+ tackles. His stats improved from 2003-2005 and they probably would of continued to improve in '06 if it wasn't for his injury.

I know a few people say that he is an athlete playing football, he has no instincts, etc. That's BS.

He, for the most part, shut down Westbrook on Sunday. Westbrook has burned us in the past, but Barnett stuck it to him.
And to say he doesn't have instincts? Remember the play in preseason, against Jacksonville, when it was 3rd and 1 and the RB bounced outside the tackles and Barnett was right there? Yeah, that's instinct.

Barnett will make the Pro-Bowl this year, I guarantee it. He will also be our Defensive MVP. I guarantee that.

And for my best prediction.

Nick Barnett will statistically have a better season than Brian Urlacher. I guarantee that.
The BallHawk - makin' a statement!!!! :P

So let me make sure I got this BallHawk. You think Barnett's gonna do OK this year?

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 09:07 PM
There is just one thing that I'm not very clear about after reading post, ballhawk. How good of a year do you think Barnett is going to have?

:)

BallHawk
09-11-2007, 09:17 PM
It's hard when you're a guy like Barnett who just does his job extremely well to get really noticed. Merriman gets noticed because he's in a blitz happy defense (and he uses steroids....and he has tattoos)

However, I think this is the year when Nick Barnett is counted among the top MLBs in the league.

Stat wise, it's tough to really judge a LB strictly off stats. Ben Taylor had 100 tackles with the Browns, but that's just because there was nobody else and it was a bad defense. To the records, a tackle 10 yards downfield is the same as a stuff on 4th and 1.

If I had to estimate, though, I'd say

150 total tackles, 100 solo, 3+ INTs, 3+ sacks, and at least 1 FF.

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Barnett's an absolute beast. He's playing a tough, visceral kind of linebacker. He's as nasty as a guy in a bar brawl. It's clear he's been practicing.

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2007, 07:33 AM
He needs to continually make plays in coverage like he did last week, and he needs to finish tackles like he did last week. He might have played his best game as a pro.

All that being said, he was a player that ran around contact in the past and his only escape from blockers was dodging them and then having to make tackles way to far way from the line of scrimmage.

Winston Moss may have helped with the turn around in his play, but I would also credit the effective bodies on the line for keeping blockers off Barnett so he can just scrap and make the play.

Barnett is relatively young player and when he came into the league was an outside linebacker that used to play safety. He was dropped into the middle linebacker positiion. He used what skills he had to survive for those first couple of years, hopefully he has developed into a this Pro-Bowl Linebacker you all keep talking about.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 08:02 AM

The problem was that Sherman traded away too many picks. In terms of finding quality players, he wasn't any worse than average IMO...but when he continually gave up multiple picks to move around in the draft, it limited the number of quality players he could get. This reduced the quality of depth on the team and impacted special teams very negatively.

Barnett is a solid player who is starting to benefit from actually playing in the same system for several years instead of constantly swtiching schemes.

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Lets not turn this into another Sherman thread. He made some good moves, and some not so good moves. I think the later won out since he is no longer GM or Coach.

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 08:56 AM
But I liked Sherman. SHERMAN SHERMAN SHERMAN!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/855000/images/_859417_klump_150.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
All that being said, he was a player that ran around contact in the past and his only escape from blockers was dodging them and then having to make tackles way to far way from the line of scrimmage.

He isn't the type of LB that is built to take on blocks. There aren't that many of those LBs left. Hawk isn't one of those guys either. Teams think that's the biggest relative weakness of Brian Urlacher. Run right at him because he isn't great on taking on blocks.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
I can't think of many LBs who can easily shed blocks from OL players. Urlacher was practically invisible at times a few years ago before the Chicago defense came of age. I've seen Ray Lewis get demolished numerous times when he isn't protected by his DL.

The fact of the matter is that all LBs in the NFL today need to be protected by their DL...that is why the DL is so important. Barnett is a talented player who clearly shows a comfort level in the system and is starting to let his natural abilities take over.

wist43
09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Barnett played ok... even took proper angles most of the time - hell has, in fact, frozen over.

As Leaper and others have correctly pointed out, he's benefitting from the improved DL play. Also, in watching tape of the game, Hawk was doing a lot of the dirty work, i.e. taking on the pulling G, maintaining outside leverage, etc, while Barnett was free to run to the ball.

To his credit, Barnett didn't screw anything up... I'll never like him, but as long as he keeps his mouth shut, and doesn't start up with the samarai crap, I'll ignore his presence on the field, and hopefully remain blissfully unaware that he's on my beloved team.

Partial
09-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Barnett played ok... even took proper angles most of the time - hell has, in fact, frozen over.

As Leaper and others have correctly pointed out, he's benefitting from the improved DL play. Also, in watching tape of the game, Hawk was doing a lot of the dirty work, i.e. taking on the pulling G, maintaining outside leverage, etc, while Barnett was free to run to the ball.

To his credit, Barnett didn't screw anything up... I'll never like him, but as long as he keeps his mouth shut, and doesn't start up with the samarai crap, I'll ignore his presence on the field, and hopefully remain blissfully unaware that he's on my beloved team.

:lol: you crack me up wist! That was the most positive post on a pretty good player that you've ever made! I think Wist is becoming a believer!! Soon he'll be admitting that Barnett is slightly above average!!

MJZiggy
09-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Soon he'll be admitting that Barnett is slightly above average!!

Don't get carried away... :shock:

Merlin
09-12-2007, 02:57 PM
This is a very interesting and complimentary article about the value of Barnett to the team.

Let's contrast those accolades with the scapegoating we have heard from BarnettBasshers, Inc. the past few years:

"Barnett is constantly out of position."

"He takes poor angles to the ball carrrier."

"Barnett cannot fight off blockers."

"He constantly overruns the play."

"Whatever tackles Barnett makes are at least 5 yards downfield."

"Most of Barnett's tackles are assists where he just piles onto the tackle that is already being made."

Charter members of BarnettBashers, Inc. are encouraged to add any quotes to the above which I have missed.

Did anyone catch Urlacher's performance last weekend? Looks like you could substitute his name in for any one of these fallacies. My favorite one:

"Hodge is a much better MLB then Barnett will ever be..."

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 04:09 PM
This is hilarious. If you go back to a thread that was started about the "unsung hero" of the game Sunday I sang the praises of Nick and he was my choice. He was every bit as dominating as any MLB I've ever seen. He may not have murdered someone or have tons of tatoos, but he IS a badass out there, and is probably faster than Urlacher. He is finally getting to show his skillset because they haven't changed defensive coordinators like they did every other year up until now. He's a beast, underrated, and is BETTER than Hawk. Period. I get shit for comparing them, but we all know that everyone here wants Hawk to be the man, and he just isn't as good as Barnett. Not saying he can't eventually be, (although with his lack of speed, I doubt it), but he right now isn't even close. Barnett is the staple in this defense. So, all you haters need to recognize his talent, and quit whining about the couple of tackles he misses every once in a while due to his speed.

RashanGary
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
My DVR recorded, but for some reason I can't play it back. I can't watch the game like I want to. Wist said Hawk was taking on Blockers and pushing things to Barnett. If Wist says it happened, I believe it happened becaue he's had a very accurate view on a lot of things football related.

Barnett was/is set up to make plays in this system. For all of hte room Barnett was given, he didn't make one WOW play (other than the INT). He's just not going to hurt you or scare you. Hawk will.

Hawk is the better player IMO and it's because he is more imposing and physical but equally fast and athletic.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree with the assertion that 56 is better than Hawk at this time in their careers. Nick plays super fast and totally baited McNabb into throwing that pic. Whatever opinion you have on this, it is a great thing that we have two strong lb's who are worthy of having this discussion. I know that I dissed AJ before last seasons draft and some last season but some in here have him as one of the leagues best already and his play definitely hasn' t shown that. Barnett is an experienced vet, he should be better at this time, Hawk will keep getting better while Barnett is now in his prime. Good thing we have both on our D.