PDA

View Full Version : In Other News, A Couple Newbies on the Practice Squad

vince
09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Fodder has been exchanged folks. It looks like the new TE signed previously (Ryan Krause) has given Clark Harris a big boot onto the tarmac, and Paul Thompson isn't the future.

Packers Sign QB Bell, G Stephenson To Practice Squad

posted 09/11/2007

The Green Bay Packers signed QB Dalton Bell and G Cameron Stephenson to the practice squad and released TE Clark Harris and QB Paul Thompson from the practice squad. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, made the announcement Tuesday.

Bell, a four-year letterwinner from West Texas A&M, finished his collegiate career with 7,779 passing yards and 62 touchdowns. He guided the team to back-to-back Lone Star Conference Championships the past two seasons and compiled a 20-4 record as a starter. He signed as a non-drafted free agent with the Carolina Panthers in May and was released in the team's final roster reduction.

Stephenson was a fifth-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2007 NFL Draft. A two-year letterwinner at Rutgers, Stephenson played on the defensive line as a 2005 junior before switching to offensive line as a senior. He started all 12 games at right guard in 2006 and earned second-team All-Big East accolades.

Willard
09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Is the signing of a RG to our PS another indication that Spitz is no longer enjoying the confidence of his employers? Enquiring minds want to know....

KYPack
09-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Is the signing of a RG to our PS another indication that Spitz is no longer enjoying the confidence of his employers? Enquiring minds want to know....

Spitz's benching is a helluva lot more indicative of his loss in status than the signing of a rookie guard to the PS. Spitz is athletic & all, but sheesh, he's playing bad.

Last year, all the young OLineman progressed real well, but this year, they are all screwin' up together.

I think the coaches like Coston's athletic skill and want to see if he can learn the job during actual games. That's risky, but that's also how bad Spitz played.

MasonCrosby
09-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Spitz's benching is a helluva lot more indicative of his loss in status than the signing of a rookie guard to the PS. Spitz is athletic & all, but sheesh, he's playing bad.

Last year, all the young OLineman progressed real well, but this year, they are all screwin' up together.

I think the coaches like Coston's athletic skill and want to see if he can learn the job during actual games. That's risky, but that's also how bad Spitz played.

yeah but spitz has to get another shot right? maybe he's just having a bad time right now. he did well last year. i want to see coston play too, but i think spitz can redeem himself.

Lurker64
09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Interesting they gave up on Thompson so soon, anybody know anything about Bell?

RashanGary
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I think it's Spitz' injury. If he were 100% I don't think this would be happening.

oregonpackfan
09-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Interesting they gave up on Thompson so soon, anybody know anything about Bell?

I am also surprised they gave up on Thompson. The guy was raw as he only played QB part-time at Oklahoma. Athletically, he is very talented.

Perhaps the Packers considered him to be too much of a "Project."

Harlan Huckleby
09-11-2007, 09:22 PM

I don't think PS means much. Those guys all are longshots to ever make a Packer roster. I expect they would have 8 centers on the practice squad if the best players available were centers.

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 10:21 PM
The Packers had no Guards on their practice squad. My guess is they want to have someone ready to take a place on the roster in case Spitz goes on IR.

Brohm
09-11-2007, 10:26 PM
The Packers had no Guards on their practice squad. My guess is they want to have someone ready to take a place on the roster in case Spitz goes on IR.

Wouldn't surprise me if he did eventually. His calf problem has been going on what? 2 years now? Get it fixed and get him healthy.

CaliforniaCheez
09-11-2007, 11:23 PM
For Ted Thompson the Practice Squad is used for intensive scouting.

Players come in, get looked at intensely, and then get cut. Next guys come in.

Harris and Thompson can get called back easily and will be happy to come.

All the guys who come and go are really trying for a roster spot in February.

Ted utilizes the practice squad well and much to his advantage.

The other on the practice squad should get the message that they could be gone at anytime. Right Mr. Clowney.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 08:13 AM

The same thing happened to Colledge last year, and his game picked up. Sometimes, you have to send a message. Spitz can be a capable player in this league, but some improvements need to be made.

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2007, 08:36 AM
this whole line rotation has me thinking "whatever". To me it is a media relations move and Spitz is just the scapegoat for the time being. There is no way Coston will continue to start over Spitz when healthy.

MadScientist
09-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I think they signed the OG to the practice squad so they would have someone big enough to play the Giants QB on the scout team.
:lol: