PDA

View Full Version : Bush Love

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Jarrett, that is. From the hometown newspapers anyways.

Bush looks like a different player
By JASON WILDE, Wisconsin State Journal

GREEN BAY -- When Jarrett Bush arrived in town a year ago, his coaches weren't exactly sure what to make of him.

Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson had picked Bush up on waivers from the Carolina Panthers, and while the undrafted rookie free agent cornerback had impressed the Panthers' coaching staff, Bush didn't exactly make a good impression on his new employers.

"We got him the week we played Chicago, the first week of the season," special teams coordinator Mike Stock said. "And if you looked at that performance in that first week, you'd say, Jeez, is he going to stay on the team?'

"But every week from that point on, he worked hard to improve in the elements he needed to. And if you watched him play in the last four games of the (2006) season, and then you watched Sunday's performance -- he played more on defense, too -- you'd say, 'Wow, this kid has grown up big-time.' ' '

While cornerbacks coach and legendary nice-guy Lionel Washington is a little more forgiving in his initial assessment of Bush -- "It's been a process," Washington said -- he sees Bush 's improvement the same way Stock does.

"Since that (first) day, he's a kid who's worked extremely hard. And as a result, things are starting to come a little easier for him," Washington said. "He's a guy that you can tell him something and he takes it to the field with him. In that sense, Jarrett has really stepped his game up."

Never was that more evident than Sunday, when Bush was arguably the Packers' MVP in their 16-13 season-opening win over Philadelphia. While rookie kicker Mason Crosby kicked three field goals, including the winner with 2 seconds left, Bush set up that field goal by recovering a muffed punt with 59 seconds to go.

That play capped a productive day for Bush, who also forced a fumble on a first-quarter punt that led to the Packers' only touchdown and played 52 snaps on defense -- 38 as the No. 3 cornerback in the nickel and dime defenses and 14 while filling in for Al Harris after Harris suffered an elbow injury.

Harris said Bush's role is "very important, because whoever the third corner is, he's going to get a lot of balls thrown at him. If you 've got a weak link, in passing situations, they 're going to try to exploit that third corner."

While Bush wasn't perfect from scrimmage -- his worst play came early in the fourth quarter, when he gave up a 14-yard completion -- he appears to be a vast improvement over last year 's third cornerbacks, Ahmad Carroll (cut last October) and Patrick Dendy (cut at the end of camp).

"I'm real pleased with the way he played," Washington said. "You lose a guy with the experience of Al Harris, and (while) Jarrett is in his first time of really playing significant time -- last year total he might 've had 15 plays (from scrimmage) -- it didn't bother me for one second."

He's come a long ways

That's saying a lot given where Bush was last season, when he played primarily on special teams because, while more athletically gifted than Dendy, he didn't know the defense as well. To make sure that wasn't a problem this year, Bush spent virtually the entire offseason in Green Bay rather than going home to Vacaville, Calif.

"That gave me time to sit down and watch film with my coaches plus a minicamp and the OTAs (organized team activity practices) to go through the defense again and learn it from A to Z," Bush said. "Because when we came in, I learned it from, what, R on? Now that I know the base of the defense, I can play fast now. I don't have to worry about the playbook. It comes naturally. Instead of thinking, I'm just playing."

And playing well. Thompson actually liked Bush leading up to the 2006 NFL draft, but only had two sixth-round picks (which he used on defensive tackle Johnny Jolly and safety Tyrone Culver) and one seventh-rounder (defensive end Dave Tollefson, since released) to spend.

"We didn't like him enough, nor did anybody else, apparently," Thompson said. "But then we watched some tape on him in Carolina."

What they saw from the Panthers' preseason games impressed them. Although Bush had never played on a winning team -- Utah State went 3-8 his two years there, and American River (Calif.) Junior College went 0-10 his freshman year and was below .500 his sophomore season -- he competed and made plays.

A guy who competes

But because the Panthers already had three veteran corners (Chris Gamble, Ken Lucas and Reggie Howard) and used a second-round pick on Fresno State's Richard Marshall, there wasn't any room for Bush. Carolina wanted him for its practice squad, but the Packers, Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers claimed him after he was waived, and he went to the Packers by virtue of their 4-12 record in '05. Thompson said it was Bush's potential that intrigued him.

"We liked the way he looked and we liked the way he played the game," Thompson said. "I think he's one of those guys -- and we have several on our team -- that has greatly improved his whole physical makeup and his play over the offseason and all the OTAs and the minicamps. We think he's a result of a lot of that, and he's a prime example of it.

"(Cornerback) is a very difficult position to play, so it doesn't mean he's going to be flawless and he's not going to get beat from time to time. But he's played very well."

Added defensive coordinator Bob Sanders: "He's been very, very solid. He's advanced an awful, awful lot since he first came on (the roster)."

And the Packers expect those advancements to continue. While the 6-foot, 197-pound Bush adds something the Packers sometimes lack -- personality and flair, as he showed when he picked off two passes in the Aug. 18 preseason game against Seattle -- he also realizes he can't get complacent and has to be reliable to further expand his role.

"I'm just looking at it as, this business is anything goes. At Carolina, I thought I was going to make the roster and I didn't. So that hurt, when I got cut. I can't take it for granted like I did there," Bush said.

"What they're looking for is consistency. If you're up-and-down, you're not consistent, you might give up big plays, and they're not certain of what they're going to get this week. Al, you know what you get from Al every week. That's why he's a great player. That's what they want, and that's what I want to be."

HarveyWallbangers
09-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Hurdling expectations
By Lori Nickel, JSO

Green Bay - Jarrett Bush's passion used to be the 110-meter hurdles.

It was so important to the Green Bay Packers' cornerback that when Texas A&M, Illinois and Kansas offered him scholarships out of junior college, he turned every one of them down because those schools would only let him play football.

So the Californian signed on with Utah State, a school best known for aerospace research, because the Aggies would let him tackle and run. In Logan, he posted a personal best 13.8 seconds in the hurdles and also ran the relay events in the winter and spring while he suited up for football every fall.

"Track is about finesse," said Bush. "It's a break from the hard-pounding, barbaric football."

But even with that perfect setup, he eventually had to give up his dream of competing in a U.S. Olympic Trials because National Football League scouts discovered him his senior year in 2005.

"I thought I had a future in track but I needed a couple more years to develop and get coached by a professional trainer," said Bush. "And I was thinking, well financially, football is the way to go. Track, it's not so much for the money, it's for the love. And now I love them both equally."

Picking football over track isn't an uncommon move.

Ted Ginn Jr. was a terrific hurdler in high school but chose to play at football at Ohio State and was drafted by Miami this year as the ninth overall pick (it was the pick that drew boos from fans who wanted the Dolphins to select Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn).

Two decades ago, Renaldo Nehemiah was a world record holder, the top-ranked hurdler in the world for four years and the first man ever to run the high hurdles under 13 seconds. Even he went on a track hiatus to play wide receiver for three seasons for legend-in-the-making Bill Walsh in San Francisco, catching 43 passes for 754 yards and four touchdowns and contributing a small, but noticeable, part to the 49ers' Super Bowl championship season in 1984.

Bush would have had a way to go in track. The United States is dominant world wide in the hurdles and Bush would have needed a time of about 13.15 to even consider Olympic qualifications.

So that senior season at Utah State, he finished the year ranked fifth among the NCAA leaders with 13 broken-up passes. An All-Western Athletic Conference selection, he earned his degree in sociology, with a minor in psychology, and waited patiently for the NFL to come calling.

It took a while.

Bush's name was not called in the draft. He he ended up signing with Carolina in the summer of 2006 as a free agent. And was promptly cut.

But . . . a day later, Sept. 3, Green Bay claimed him on waivers. Thrilled to land on a roster, Bush quickly found out that he was surrounded by other young talented defensive backs, just like him. Not only that, he was playing behind Al Harris, who has played in 155 straight games in addition to 98.5 percent of the defensive snaps last season.

Still, Bush was one of four rookies to play in all 16 games (A.J. Hawk, Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll were the others). He was third on the team in special teams with 13 tackles. By the end of the year, he had also moved up the depth chart to backup corner and with that, knew he would get to work in the off-season.

"I told myself that was my time to get ready for the season," said Bush.

After he was done training at the Packers' facility, Bush would head over to the indoor turf at the Bellin Health Center, where he worked out with Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was out of football serving a one-year suspension.

Bush's track discipline was ingrained; he couldn't sit still.

"I love to compete, I love working out for something, getting ready for something, training for something," said Bush, who said his track experience helps him even now with explosiveness and flexibility.

It's early, but if the season-opening victory over Philadelphia on Sunday is any indication, his work is paying off. Bush was the nickel corner and when Harris left the game for a quarter with an injured elbow, Bush took Harris' spot at right cornerback. The Packers remained confident in Bush.

"Sure. That's the expectation level, if a guy goes down, the next guy steps in," said Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders. "We didn't change anything, we just kept playing."

Bush's big play in the game was on special teams when he pounced on an attempted fair catch by the Eagles' J.R. Reed.

"The returner went up and tried to field the ball, but there was a lot of traffic," said Bush. "He kept getting hit from side to side. I don't know why he went for it but since he went for it, you better catch it. He didn't and with so many people around you, if you drop it, someone is going to jump on it immediately. He paid for it because I jumped on it."

The play helped set up the winning field goal by Mason Crosby in the final six seconds of a taut, defensive battle. Bush also felt he held his own against Eagles wide receiver Kevin Curtis, also a Utah State product.

"He's done a real nice job, pays attention to detail, works extremely hard in practice, so his progression is on schedule," said Sanders. "He is still a player that is moving up. (Sunday) was a big stepping stone; he really did a nice job."

This season, the Packers have not only kept 11 defensive linemen, they've got 10 defensive backs as well. Four - Woodson, Harris, Nick Collins and Frank Walker - are veterans. Atari Bigby, Will Blackmon, Charlie Peprah, Aaron Rouse, Tramon Williams and Bush have two or less years of experience but great upside, so it wasn't easy for Bush to distinguish himself.

Said Peprah: "Hopefully, they'll stick with the young guys."

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Jarrett, that is. From the hometown newspapers anyways.

Bush looks like a different player
By JASON WILDE, Wisconsin State Journal
To make sure that wasn't a problem this year, Bush spent virtually the entire offseason in Green Bay rather than going home to Vacaville, Calif.

This isn't much of a sacrafice. Vacaville is just a cow town anyway.

Bush was unblockable on speacial teams at the end of last year. He was all over the place as a gunner. It was only a matter of time before really good things started happening. He had a lot of 'near misses' last year.

Brohm
09-12-2007, 01:03 PM
"After he was done training at the Packers' facility, Bush would head over to the indoor turf at the Bellin Health Center, where he worked out with Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was out of football serving a one-year suspension."

Thought that was a bit interesting. Kudos on the extra work to both Bush and Robinson (getting any work at all).

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2007, 01:08 PM
I liked Bush last year, although he wasn't able to contribute on defense he gave it all on special teams and picked things up real quick considering he wasn't even considered good enough to draft.

Well he beat the odds as is, a non-drafted player making an impact on a defense in a key role as the nickel back.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 05:04 PM
:roll: i thought this was another of the list of long articles stating how great the little rb from New Orleans is :shock:

LL2
09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
:roll: i thought this was another of the list of long articles stating how great the little rb from New Orleans is :shock:

I thought it was a GC thread.

Bretsky
09-12-2007, 06:22 PM

I'd still take him over mini Mario :lol:

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I'll wait till years end to make my judgement but off of last season, the little wr wins easily. Most overrated player in football.

Bretsky
09-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I'll wait till years end to make my judgement but off of last season, the little wr wins easily. Most overrated player in football.

That's :bs2:

Nobody in hear tried to argue he's a star so I have a hard time believing he's overrated. Maybe overrated by the Kiper hype, but nobody who understands football. I'd just say I'd rather have him in GB that your Super Mario

MasonCrosby
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM

That's :bs2:

Nobody in hear tried to argue he's a star so I have a hard time believing he's overrated. Maybe overrated by the Kiper hype, but nobody who understands football. I'd just say I'd rather have him in GB that your Super Mario

reggie bush??? oh heck yes i'd rather have him here than mario. bye bye run game issues. hello new offensive weapon for years to come...

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
bye bye run game issues, a 200lbs back will open the holes that aren't already there, give me a break. he is a wr not a rb. Totally overrated by the football media. He has done more than Mario but Mario has this season before I call him a bust. After week one, he is doing very well. He almso had as many tackles as some lb's :wink:

Bretsky
09-12-2007, 08:43 PM
bye bye run game issues, a 200lbs back will open the holes that aren't already there, give me a break. he is a wr not a rb. Totally overrated by the football media. He has done more than Mario but Mario has this season before I call him a bust. After week one, he is doing very well. He almso had as many tackles as some lb's :wink:

You must have been impatient waiting 18 regular season games before starting an I told you so thread about Da SuperMario; fortunately the wait was not nearly as long for AJ
:wink:

Bush is a hybrid; he's not a true RB or WR and NO will find ways that allow him to make plays. MM would do the same

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 08:58 PM
a HYBRID WHO IS OVERRATED. If you want to go back to the draft debate, I also stated that Hawk wouldn't be much better than some of ther other lb's drafted in that class. I was way off base on Carpenter but might of hit a bulleye in regards to Sims and Greenway. Time will tell but Hawk as I posted has done more than Mario but this is a new year and hopefully they both will do well. Mario has had two or three good games in 17 games, bad for the firsdt overall pick but as of now, his 2007 season looks as though he is starting to see what he needs to do or maybe he just got lucky, we'll see. Overrated.......overrated........overrated..

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I think Bush is a talent. He's definitely a difference maker, but he's not a superstar--yet some put him in that class. So, in a way, I agree with bulldog.

Now, if he'll just accept that fact that he's overrated Ernie Sims because it somehow justifies he's lukewarm attitude on A.J. Hawk, we'll be cool.

I'd wait until Mario Williams wasn't dominating Kyle Turley or Will Svitek before jumping on his bandwagon.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 09:07 PM
As I stated it was only one game. i do like Hawk but I think the masses in here have overrated him but since he is a Packer, that's fine.

Bretsky
09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
a HYBRID WHO IS OVERRATED. If you want to go back to the draft debate, I also stated that Hawk wouldn't be much better than some of ther other lb's drafted in that class. I was way off base on Carpenter but might of hit a bulleye in regards to Sims and Greenway. Time will tell but Hawk as I posted has done more than Mario but this is a new year and hopefully they both will do well. Mario has had two or three good games in 17 games, bad for the firsdt overall pick but as of now, his 2007 season looks as though he is starting to see what he needs to do or maybe he just got lucky, we'll see. Overrated.......overrated........overrated..

I don't get the overrated; By whose measurables are you using to determine that ? Your own ? Your own judgment based on certain members of the media ?

You keep chanting overrated, and maybe I'm the only one, but I think you are arguing in another language because nobody in here is trying to argue he's a superstar. Just constantly stated I'd take him over Mario.

And I think you said you'd like Carpenter over Hawk; way off. The other three, time will tell.

Honestly I really don't care if I'm right or wrong about any of this; being a Packer fan I just hope Hawk turns out well.

Bretsky
09-12-2007, 09:10 PM
As I stated it was only one game. i do like Hawk but I think the masses in here have overrated him but since he is a Packer, that's fine.

NFL ready :wink:

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 09:11 PM
i did say that about Bobby C as I stated above but the overrated thing is totally a national thing as I stated above. Time will tell on Mario,Reggie and all of the LB's.

Badgerinmaine
09-13-2007, 08:18 AM
I have to admit my first thought when I saw this was that this was a Bretsky post for the Garbage Can. :P

I have to admit I've been impressed with how well the Saints have used Reggie Bush without taking away many touches for Deuce McAllister.

Lurker64
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't see how anybody could argue that Reggie Bush isn't overrated. This is the guy who was anointed as the heir to Gayle Sayers before he ever played an NFL down, based on his production in college in a suspect defensive conference. The ratio of his face time to performance is off the charts, considering that NBC was framing the Colts vs. Saints game as "Manning vs. Bush", when last year Bush got 9 touchdowns and 1352 yards from scrimmage. Those are good stats, and Bush is a talent, but they don't in any way justify the amount of coverage and attention he gets.

Nobody's saying he's not good, it's just that "the amount of attention he gets" far outstrips his production, which is pretty much the definition of "overrated."

Jarrett Bush on the other hand...

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Bush is an excting player to watch, what more do you want? I guess if you put him up on the Gale Sayers pedestial you can knock him off.

Bush is overrated in the minds of the dumb fucks who bought into the Gale Sayers hype.

b bulldog
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Intelligent reply :oops:

Partial
09-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Bush changed the game the same way Michael Vick changed the game. He didn't really at all.

He's a rich man's Desmond Howard.

Badgerinmaine
09-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Bush changed the game the same way Michael Vick changed the game. He didn't really at all.

In a way, but Howard was a different variety of player since he never lined up at running back nearly as much as Bush already has. Howard only had a couple dozen carries in his whole career:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/HowaDe00.htm .
I'd bet most or all of those few carries he had were on reverses/end arounds.

I'd agree on the broader point that he hasn't changed the game in large part because he's only been playing in the NFL for a little more than a year and it's too soon to say. If there's a bunch of teams using a guy that way five years from now, that'll be a different story.

Partial
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM

In a way, but Howard was a different variety of player since he never lined up at running back nearly as much as Bush already has. Howard only had a couple dozen carries in his whole career:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/HowaDe00.htm .
I'd bet most or all of those few carries he had were on reverses/end arounds.

I'd agree on the broader point that he hasn't changed the game in large part because he's only been playing in the NFL for a little more than a year and it's too soon to say. If there's a bunch of teams using a guy that way five years from now, that'll be a different story.

You're starting to see the "athlete" in college have a place on the team. Be it Noel Devine, Percy Harvin, Ted Ginn, Devin Hester, etc.