PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Bring Back Returner

Joemailman
09-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Eagles bring back Mahe

By Sports Network
The Sports Network

The Philadelphia Eagles re-signed running back/kick returner Reno Mahe to a one-year contract on Tuesday.

In a corresponding move, the team released safety/kick returner J.R. Reed.

Mahe, a reserve running back for the Eagles from 2003 to 2006, led the NFL with an average punt return of 12.8 yards in 2005. During his career, he has returned 64 punts for the Eagles, averaging 9.4 yards per return.

The move comes to shore up the Eagles punt return squad as a pair of fumbled punts contributed to Philadelphia's 16-13 loss at Green Bay on Sunday.

Reed muffed a punt that was recovered by the Packers at the Eagles' 31-yard line with 59 seconds remaining in the game. The Packers won the game on a Mason Crosby 42-yard field goal with just six seconds left. In the first quarter, Greg Lewis fumbled a punt that the Packers recovered in the end zone for a touchdown.

I wonder if Mahe was cut this summer, or if he was a free agent who did not get signed. Either way, the importance of considering special teams when putting together a roster was proven again.

mmmdk
09-12-2007, 02:17 AM
ST do win football games, heck one ST guy is a SB MVP!!!

Badgerinmaine
09-12-2007, 09:11 AM
[I wonder if Mahe was cut this summer, or if he was a free agent who did not get signed. Either way, the importance of considering special teams when putting together a roster was proven again.

They didn't offer him a contract, and made the decision immediately after the season ended:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/99-09122007-1406260.html

I sure do like the Eagles' timing :mrgreen:

One of the Pennsylvania papers I saw on this had as a headline "Reno 9-1-1" :)

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Looks like it might be a week late, don't ya think?

MJZiggy
09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Looks like it might be a week late, don't ya think?

No.