PDA

View Full Version : Team Stats

Partial
09-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Green Bay hasn't won an opener since 2004 against Carolina.

They haven't started a season going 2-0 since 2001.

What a boost that would be to start the year out 2-0.

Realistically, I think RG's chances of them going 6-10 get muff-punched right then and there if they win this Sunday. I think they clinched 7 wins on Sunday with their win.

Likewise, those wins are against two teams that have been competing for the playoffs year in and year out for the past several years. This is a very good thing because in the event our records are tied, we will win by virtue of tie-breaker.

Call me crazy, but I think we start the season out 4-1. Who would have ever thought that?!?!?!?!?

Looking at weeks 8-11 after the bye, they have 2 road games (@ denver, @ kc) and 2 home games. They should win at least 2 of those games, and if they are hitting their stride then they should win three. @Denver will be a beast of a game. This would put them at 7-2 or 6-3. I would gladly take 6-3 at that point in their season.

Merlin
09-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I think you are putting the cart before the horse. If memory serves me correctly, even in our good years, we have always struggled in New Jersey. For whatever reason, it just isn't a friendly place for us to play. I think we can beat the Giants, I am just not sure that we can do it in their house. The Giants have been a bubble playoff team and inconsistent at best the past few years. Losing Manning won't hurt them very much as he has been the reason they are inconsistent. The playoff ramification are huge only if the Eagles make it that far (and we do also). The Eagles were picked to go 8-8 by a lot of analysts so we will have to see how their season shakes out. I don't think the Giants will be looking at the playoffs this year, even so we need the win. I don't know how we will beat the Chargers because their offense is amazing. We should fair better then the Bears but who knows. We should beat the Vikings but if our offense can't move the ball or score then we very well could lose that one. The Bears is another tossup. They have no offense and we have no offense. 4-1 would be great but they will be the ugliest 4 wins in the history of the Packers I am sure. Realistically, I expect us to open up 3-2 or 2-3.

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I think you are putting the cart before the horse. If memory serves me correctly, even in our good years, we have always struggled in New Jersey. For whatever reason, it just isn't a friendly place for us to play. I think we can beat the Giants, I am just not sure that we can do it in their house. The Giants have been a bubble playoff team and inconsistent at best the past few years. Losing Manning won't hurt them very much as he has been the reason they are inconsistent. The playoff ramification are huge only if the Eagles make it that far (and we do also). The Eagles were picked to go 8-8 by a lot of analysts so we will have to see how their season shakes out. I don't think the Giants will be looking at the playoffs this year, even so we need the win. I don't know how we will beat the Chargers because their offense is amazing. We should fair better then the Bears but who knows. We should beat the Vikings but if our offense can't move the ball or score then we very well could lose that one. The Bears is another tossup. They have no offense and we have no offense. 4-1 would be great but they will be the ugliest 4 wins in the history of the Packers I am sure. Realistically, I expect us to open up 3-2 or 2-3.
Where did you see Philly at 8-8? I never saw that and most places had them as either the division winner or a WC team.

Partial
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM

I expect the Chargers to kill us but the Giants are too banged up to run with us. Losing Umenyiora(sp) should not be understated. He's a fantastic DE who imo has played better than Strahan the last two years. Our DLine will Tee-off against their OL if hefty lefty is their QB. We will literally destroy their offense.

However, looking at GB@Minn, how can you not expect us to win that one? I realize Favre always sucks in the dome, but our defense is good enough to shut down Peterson and without Peterson that offense won't score at all.

Chicago@GB will be a battle. Who knows how it play out? We shall see. We also may see a new look Bears with Mr. Griese and Mr. Peterson starting for them in place of Grossman and Benson.

Washington@GB will be an easy game that we should walk away from with a win. Especially with Jansen out for the year.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Losing Manning won't hurt them very much as he has been the reason they are inconsistent.

I'm not sure which game you were watching Sunday night, but Manning was pretty much the only thing keeping them in that game against Dallas. Their defense isn't what it has been, and without Barber at RB the Giants count even more on Eli. He may be inconsistent, but he's talented. Losing him would be a major loss.

I'm not so sure on the 4-1 start. Our offense managed to get us THREE POINTS on Sunday. That ain't winning squat...and we aren't going to get multiple special teams turnovers every week. Our ground game will be very fortunate to have 400 yards gained after week 5...which is an abysmal 80 yards a week.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 10:00 AM
However, looking at GB@Minn, how can you not expect us to win that one?

Uhh...it is a road game in the baggie dome. That was hardly a guarantee when our team was clearly more talented.

You are off the deep end if you think Green Bay can chalk up any victories as cake with their atrocious offense. It is going to take an effort every week to get a W.

Partial
09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Uhh...it is a road game in the baggie dome. That was hardly a guarantee when our team was clearly more talented.

You are off the deep end if you think Green Bay can chalk up any victories as cake with their atrocious offense. It is going to take an effort every week to get a W.

I agree. It won't be an easy win but they will be the favorites and they likely will win.

Tarvaris isn't going to be able to score on our D. He is probably the worst starter in the league this year. At least until Brodie Croyle takes over the reigns in KC. He is a great athlete who I think could be pretty darn potent in a year or two, but right now he is greener than Chicago on St. Patties day.

We won't be able to run on them. They don't have a secondary so we will be able to pass on them. With a healthy Driver, Jennings, and Jones they'll be just fine and put up enough to win.

When we were more talented, so was Minnesota. I would say they are more talented but a far worse team than us right now.

Rastak
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM

I agree. It won't be an easy win but they will be the favorites and they likely will win.

Tarvaris isn't going to be able to score on our D. He is probably the worst starter in the league this year. At least until Brodie Croyle takes over the reigns in KC. He is a great athlete who I think could be pretty darn potent in a year or two, but right now he is greener than Chicago on St. Patties day.

We won't be able to run on them. They don't have a secondary so we will be able to pass on them. With a healthy Driver, Jennings, and Jones they'll be just fine and put up enough to win.

When we were more talented, so was Minnesota. I would say they are more talented but a far worse team than us right now.

Check out the QB ratings from the North. No secondary? Hardly...but you'll find that out soon enough.

Freak Out
09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Partial I like all the optimism but we have a tough fucking road ahead of us and if someone goes down on either side of the ball were circling the drain fast.
The D played fantastic last Sunday but unless we get the O going it's going to be a LONG season. I think we can beat the Giants on the road if Eli is out but at the Dikes and SD at home is going to be rough.

That said........ :cow: :cow: :cow: :bump: :bump: :wave: :clap: :clap:

Merlin
09-12-2007, 02:31 PM

Yes but Manning is inconsistent as I already stated. Sure, he plays well one week then the next he tanks.

Merlin
09-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Where did you see Philly at 8-8? I never saw that and most places had them as either the division winner or a WC team.

I saw more people picking the Giants then the Eagles. Also, 8-8, 9-7 may be enough to win any of the NFC divisions.

Merlin
09-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Rastak, MN doesn't have a secondary. That has been their achilles heel for several years now. Don't go getting all hyper because they held the woeful Falcons in check. Outside of Alge Crumpler, who was there to cover????

Rastak
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Rastak, MN doesn't have a secondary. That has been their achilles heel for several years now. Don't go getting all hyper because they held the woeful Falcons in check. Outside of Alge Crumpler, who was there to cover????

Pass rush the makes secondary much better alone. Add the upgrade at nickle and depth at safety and I think they are MUCH improved. Hell, even last year they were fine in scoring defense. They gave up more yards than they should but teams were throwing all game long because they couldn't run.