PDA

View Full Version : Packers Barnett to be charged with disorderly conduct

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Allegations stem from June bar fight in Appleton

By Joe Knaapen
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett will be charged with two misdemeanors in connection with a June altercation at an Appleton tavern, according to Door County District Attorney Ray Pelrine.

Pelrine, serving as a special prosecutor in the case, confirmed early today that the formal complaint will be filed in Outagamie County Circuit Court.

The exact date of the filing, Pelrine said, depends on the simple logistics of clearing his local calendar sufficiently to allow him to travel to Appleton and complete the details with the Appleton Police Department and Outagamie County court clerks.

Barnett will be charged with two misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct, Pelrine said. If convicted, Barnett could be sentenced to serve up to 90 days in county jail and pay up to a $1,000 fine on each count.

Barnett, 26, is being accused of the criminal acts in connection with two separate incidents of pushing or shoving the night of June 16-17 at the Wet Night Club in Appleton, Pelrine said. The separate incidents occurred about an hour apart and involved a woman.

After the incident, Barnett was jailed and released after posting bond.

Pelrine agreed in July to handle the matter as a special prosecutor at the request of Outagamie County District Attorney Carrie Schneider, who wanted to avoid any appearance of a conflict of interest because her husband works at a company where Barnett has had business dealings.

-- Knaapen writes for the Door County Advocate

packinpatland
09-12-2007, 10:34 AM
What will Goodell do with this?

MJZiggy
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Roll his eyes like the rest of us?

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I think Barnett is screwed. He is gonna get suspended on top of any jail time, the commissioner is not going to say "it was no big deal." He has to be consistent.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Barnett wasn't caught with any videotaping equipment, was he?

Freak Out
09-12-2007, 11:13 AM
I think Barnett is screwed. He is gonna get suspended on top of any jail time, the commissioner is not going to say "it was no big deal." He has to be consistent.

He was charged not convicted plus there was no gun play like the Pacboy debacle so I think Goodell will have to sit tight and see what plays out with this. If I remember weren't there witnesses that said it was overblown?

BlueBrewer
09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Im no lawyer but im pretty sure you don't get jail time for disorderly conduct. It is likely less serious than the Briggs leaving the scene. Goodell will tell him this is your one warning.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I think Barnett will have to be found innocent to avoid a suspension.

Even tho the incident was overblown.

BlueBrewer
09-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I think Barnett will have to be found innocent to avoid a suspension.

Even tho the incident was overblown.

No way will he be suspended, its like getting a speading ticket. He was not charged with assault and battery.

Disorderly conduct is one of the most common offenses in the United States, and is often the result of unreasonable police officers giving someone a hard time until they lose their cool. Disorderly conduct generally includes most kinds of unruly or disturbing behaviors, which acts to provoke a disturbance.

Disorderly conduct laws exist in every state, and are often used as a “catch-all” charge for minor offenses. It is important to note that disorderly conduct is a prosecutable offense, which can lead to fines, jail time, and other punishments upon conviction. The best way to protect yourself after being charged with disorderly conduct is to seek the early advice of a criminal defense attorney. Please contact us to speak with a legal professional who can look out for your best interests.

Examples of disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct offenses vary widely by state. Here are some of the most common acts that are considered disorderly conduct offenses:

Public drunkenness
Inciting a riot
disturbance of the peace
loitering in certain areas
fighting / physical altercations
obstructing traffic
use of extremely obscene or abusive language
loud or unreasonable noise
and more.
Given the wide range of behaviors that could constitute disorderly conduct, a person may be arrested for this crime without proper cause. Virtually any socially offensive or disruptive conduct may be prosecuted as disorderly conduct. If you have been charged with disorderly conduct, it may be possible to get out of trouble with the help of a qualified attorney. Please contact us to find an attorney near you.

Consequences of disorderly conduct

While disorderly conduct may seem like an insignificant charge at first, individuals with a disorderly conduct conviction on their record may have a difficult time pursuing educational, career, and other opportunities in the future. In addition, a disorderly conduct conviction may influence the outcome of any subsequent bout with the law.

Disorderly conduct charges might be dropped after an arrest or may be prosecuted as misdemeanors. In some more serious cases, disorderly conduct can be prosecuted as a felony, which may result in significant jail time. A disorderly conduct conviction can bring significant punishment, including fines, community service, compulsory counseling, and jail time. A judge sentencing someone for disorderly conduct will often consider that person’s criminal history.

A first-time offender's disorderly conduct sentence is typically very light. This sentence may be even be suspended if certain conditions are met. Repeat offenders or those with more serious criminal backgrounds may experience harsher repercussions.

Rastak
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm with Blue....no suspension.

MadtownPacker
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
See this is what I like about having "friend". All it would take is a "friend" convincing the witnesses that it really wasn't a big deal and they would be best served letting it go. Total crap and he better not get suspended!

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
[b]Disorderly conduct is one of the most common offenses in the United States, and is often the result of unreasonable police officers giving someone a hard time until they lose their cool.

Larry Craig just resigned his Senate seat over a disorderly conduct conviction.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
what happened to Gilbert Brown when he was busted for pushing his girlfriend?

swede
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I thought the police report said that the woman was upset at being ignored or blown off by Barnett and threw a drink in his face, which led to some "get out of my space" scuffling.

Cops are capable of brave and heroic action bu they're pretty much universally dinks when it comes to how they handle this stuff. This charge is meant to save the faces of beat cops who probably should have arrested the woman instead.

And this is not Barnett's first offense.He perpetrated some hideously blatant jaywalking in Green Bay a while back and was written a ticket for that brazen act against society. (See "dink" above)

retailguy
09-12-2007, 12:09 PM

Burger King named a hamburger after him...

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
[b]Disorderly conduct is one of the most common offenses in the United States, and is often the result of unreasonable police officers giving someone a hard time until they lose their cool.

Larry Craig just resigned his Senate seat over a disorderly conduct conviction.

Actually, he said he intended to resign at the end of September. Now I'm pretty sure he intends to get his toe-tappin' self exonerated. Maybe he and Nick could go out clubbin together.

BTW, if being gay is no big deal, then why does Chris Matthews call Craig a pervert? Wouldn't toe tapping another guy in the bathroom be about the same as winking at a girl in a bar? Is Chris Matthews a homophobe?

mraynrand
09-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Burger King named a hamburger after him...

actually, Gilbert shoved his girlfriend and she tumbled over the couch. Gilbert got a warning and the couch was given 90 days. Gilbert didn't retrieve it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Is Chris Matthews a homophobe?

no, he is a homosexual. He was obviously spurned by Larry Craig.

I thought we were talking about the Patriots stealing signals.

Merlin
09-12-2007, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't blame Barnett if he demanded a trade so he could get away from this obviously bias BS. Is the woman who threw the drink getting any kind of charges brought against her? Probably not. This prosecutor needs to be fired for ignorance.

mission
09-12-2007, 02:49 PM
this is a perfect example of what i was talking about in an earlier thread about nightlife in the area for a young black man.

why the hell is barnett down in appleton? talk about sticking out... these guys need to setup bars in their basements and party amongst themselves. it's way too dangerous.

I wouldn't blame Barnett if he demanded a trade so he could get away from this obviously bias BS. Is the woman who threw the drink getting any kind of charges brought against her? Probably not. This prosecutor needs to be fired for ignorance.

i thought *i* smoked a lot of weed... you make me feel so intelligent every time i read your posts. thanks!

MJZiggy
09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
this is a perfect example of what i was talking about in an earlier thread about nightlife in the area for a young black man.

why the hell is barnett down in appleton? talk about sticking out... these guys need to setup bars in their basements and party amongst themselves. it's way too dangerous.

i thought *i* smoked a lot of weed... you make me feel so intelligent every time i read your posts. thanks!

Barnett wasn't down in Appleton, but the DA in Green Bay had a conflict of interest so the Appleton prosecutor took over.

Merlin
09-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Apparently your intelligence doesn't extend very far. Appleton is not a "white" town by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the night life there is very active with many exclusive clubs.

If reading my posts makes you feel more intelligent then I applaud you, I didn't know someone with an IQ of 60 could read.

mission
09-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Apparently your intelligence doesn't extend very far. Appleton is not a "white" town by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the night life there is very active with many exclusive clubs.

If reading my posts makes you feel more intelligent then I applaud you, I didn't know someone with an IQ of 60 could read.

im pretty sure a 60 IQ individual can't read very well. if at all. so yeah, you're right.

apparently living in the 'chip' makes you think that appleton is the big city. im not talking about white or black -- im talking about partying in a tiny city where everyone knows who the hell you are regardless of your skin color. you obviously missed the point about me saying they needed bars in their basements. it was a joke, but i was referencing a previous thread about "nightlife" in and around green bay and how that may factor into our inability to play a huge role in the free agent game.

oh and... "exclusive clubs" ... that's hilarious.

regardless, this is a sad day. you know, with the imminent trade request of nick barnett. he was playing so well too! there goes our year, big mer'!

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 03:53 PM
This is gonna disappear faster than it appeared. The chicks dude works for Barnett. It's all about money baby. This chick is already regretting her drunken stupor and kissing Barnett's ass.

Freak Out
09-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Who the hell is Chris Matthews? The Patriots were stealing signals just like Larry Craig was.

BallHawk
09-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Who the hell is Chris Matthews? The Patriots were stealing signals just like Larry Craig was.

He's talk show host in MSNBC. You've never seen Hardball?

motife
09-12-2007, 08:42 PM
"charged with"...

Isn't it against the constitution to charge a Green Bay Packer with a crime when he's travelling to and from Lambeau field on official business?

Was there any foot tapping, or staring through door cracks for long periods?