PDA

View Full Version : Packers ratings vs. Brewers ratings

the_idle_threat
09-12-2007, 10:20 AM
There was a debate in last Sunday's game day thread regarding whether the Packers or the Brewers are the more popular team in Wisconsin, or even in Milwaukee. Here's an article on the head-to-head TV ratings that shows it's not even close, even in Milwaukee ...
:pack: :cow: :pack: :cow: :pack: :cow:

Race is no ratings boon

Posted: Sept. 11, 2007

SportsDay by Bob Wolfley

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=660690

We're still waiting on the television ratings for Milwaukee Brewers games to match the drama of a team locked in a taut division race in September.

There is no evidence to be found in the television ratings that show the Brewers' division chase has captured casual fans who have given themselves over to Brewers fever.

There is no indication of a fever among television-viewing Brewers fans. And in the case of the viewing choices made on Sunday, the fever didn't amount to even a head cold.

If you want to mount the argument that Milwaukee isn't a terrific baseball town, then you had a good weekend, at least in terms of TV ratings.

Forget about comparing ratings for Brewers games with ratings for Green Bay Packers games.

That's silly.

Packers' exhibition games outdrew meaningful Brewers games in August.

In the past, we have not had an opportunity to make that kind of comparison because no one in the last few decades has had occasion to use the words "Brewers" and "meaningful games in August" in the same sentence. Ditto for "Brewers" and "meaningful games in September."

On Sunday, a Brewers game against the Cincinnati Reds went up against the Packers' season-opener against the Philadelphia Eagles.

In terms of a ratings comparison?

Pee Wee Herman vs. Mike Tyson in center ring.

There were 30,222 Milwaukee households tuned to Brewers-Reds, while 271,964 households watched Packers-Eagles. The Packers' opener was down 21% from their opener last season against the Chicago Bears, which drew 344,236 households.

Even though the fourth round of the BMW Championship PGA Tour event on Sunday wound up with more households (30,905) than Brewers-Reds, baseball outdrew golf from 1-3 p.m., when they went head to head. In that two-hour window, baseball had 37,969 households and golf had 19,426 households.

Football again demonstrated over the weekend it is the lord of the realm around here, or at least the lord of television realm.

The Bears at San Diego Chargers on WITI-TV (Channel 6) late Sunday afternoon had 181,898 households. The New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys Sunday night on WTMJ-TV (Channel 4) had 100,662 households.

The "Monday Night Football" game on ESPN, Baltimore at Cincinnati, had 69,757 households, compared to the Brewers at Pittsburgh Pirates game at the same time on FSN Wisconsin. Brewers-Pirates had 45,033 households. Even ESPN's second game on Monday night, Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers, which started at 9:15 p.m., had a bigger audience than the baseball game. Cardinals-49ers had 60,044 households.

The Wisconsin at Nevada-Las Vegas football game Saturday night on cable channel Versus drew 87,417 households. The Oregon at Michigan college football game on WISN-TV (Channel 12) Saturday afternoon had 49,448 households.

The Brewers at Reds game Saturday night on WMLW-TV (Channel 41), had the best rating of the four games the Brewers played from Friday through Monday. It had a 6.5 rating, or 57,395 households.

Partial
09-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't remember who was arguing but the outcome is exactly what I suspected it would be.

the_idle_threat
09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I think the Brewers would get better ratings if they were on regular TV rather than a cable channel. That's the reason I can't watch the Brewers---I refuse to pay money to those pirate cable/dish companies. But even if that happens, I think the Brewers are still miles away from competing head-to-head with the Pack, even in the Brewers' own hometown.

I wonder what the head-to-head ratings were in Brown county. :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
It's the NFL season opener against a rival. It was to be expected that the Pack would destroy the Brewers. I'd suspect that this next Sunday the Pack will still win, but it won't be as big of a gap.

The Leaper
09-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Forget it people.

The Brewers might have decent ratings, but they will NEVER approach the ratings of the Packers unless they reach the playoffs...and even then it is unlikely.

The ratings within Wisconsin for Packer games are some of the strongest ratings in the entire NFL. It is not unusual for upwards of 60% of all televisions in the state to be turned on to the Packer game on Sundays in highly meaningful matchups. That is a ridiculous number in an era where there are hundreds of channel choices out there.

BlueBrewer
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
The brewers would lose in a head to head even if it was game seven of the WS.

cpk1994
09-12-2007, 11:44 AM
I think the Brewers would get better ratings if they were on regular TV rather than a cable channel. That's the reason I can't watch the Brewers---I refuse to pay money to those pirate cable/dish companies. But even if that happens, I think the Brewers are still miles away from competing head-to-head with the Pack, even in the Brewers' own hometown.

I wonder what the head-to-head ratings were in Brown county. :lol:

Thats the point I was making in the game thread in why you can't compare ratings. You can only watch the Brewers on cable while all Packer games are over-the-air. Not a fair comparison.

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2007, 11:59 AM
The Packers are more popular than the Brewers. This is supposed to be news?

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 03:59 PM
In this day and age you just TVO one of them. These ratings are getting less and less meaningful as technology grows. I watched six football games and the my Cubbies Sunday. It's called satellite. To hell with Mr. Nelson, he's dated.

Jerry Tagge
09-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Packers got better ratings than the Brewers?

Who would have guessed?

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 04:49 PM
aS i TOLD THE POSTER THAT WAS TRYING TO TELL ME THE bREWERS ARE AS popular if not more so than the Packers, in WI, the Packers are number 1!

RashanGary
09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
aS i TOLD THE POSTER THAT WAS TRYING TO TELL ME THE bREWERS ARE AS popular if not more so than the Packers, in WI, the Packers are number 1!

Tell that to the Broncos fan and Bears fan that run the morning show on 107.5

They feed us Brewer shit for half of the damn program and try to say it's what everyone wants to hear.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 05:01 PM
IMO, that would be because the Packers only play the one game per week and the Brewers arer playing at least 4 per week. Usually half of their show is football and the other half is baseball and other misc things.

BallHawk
09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
IMO, that would be because the Packers only play the one game per week and the Brewers arer playing at least 4 per week. Usually half of their show is football and the other half is baseball and other misc things.

That and most people don't sit down and watch a whole baseball game. They might keep it on in the background or watch the last 3 innings if it's close, but they don't sit down and focus intensely on the game, mainly because it's much slower paced than football.

esoxx
09-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Playing 162 games in a year versus 16 also factors into it.

Why would I watch a Brewer game last Sunday instead of the Packers when I can just watch the Brewers the next day, and the day after, etc...

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Well, I'm a huge Cubs fan, and I have watched all but about 6 games in their entirety this year. So, there are diehard baseball fans out there. I love baseball. I grew up in Wisconsin amongst Brewers fans and I love this race this year. I TVO every game, I'm TVOing the Cubs game right now so I can watch it commercial free later tonight. I'm sure thousands TVO the Brewers as well, regardless of whether football is on or not. You guys do have satelite up there in Northern Wisconsin don't you? It is the 21st Century boys and girls.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
yes we have satellite in northern WI but we also have streets that you can walk at night without packing heat, and we can do this in the 21st century.

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow, must've pushed a button. I live in a neighborhood in which the average house is worth approx. 300,000 dollars, I love night walks. I just want to make the point that with TVOing and all the recording going on, there is no longer any way to REALLY know who's watching what, only who's watching what LIVE. I watch tons of sports TVO'd. I'm taping the Cubs game right now. No Nelson rating knows that. It's bogus. I do agree that the Packers are MUCH more loved than the Brewers, and why not, you're Brewer organization doesn't give a shit about winning. 40,000,000 dollar payroll is a friggin' joke. They will trade half the team this offseason. They are a step away from the Pirates. I'm glad my stepdad was a Cubs fan in Wisconsin growing up. They never win, but at least they spend money and try, and I get to watch some badass superstar players everyday. Sorry Brewers fans. Yount's not coming back. You may never win a World Series again unless you start keeping your players when they become stars. Fielder will be gone in two years. Guaranteed.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Sad part is, the Brewers will win the division this year and the loveable losers will be ....well, losers!

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Are you on Prozac? I wouldn't bet my mortgage on that one.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
i would, they are called losers for a reason, correct?

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 08:23 PM
All right, Bull Dog, I respect you're love for the Brew Crew, I just grew up in Wisconsin as a Cubs fan, and heard shit my whole childhood, so I like to argue with you Brewer fans. I actually admire that with such a low payroll your guys are doing so well. The fact the the Cubs can't put you guys away with 200 million dollars worth of players is sick. But, we are cursed, I almost hope we win it next year, the 100th year anniversary. It would be more special. If the Brew Crew make the playoffs I will be rooting for them simply because I am a Wisconsinite at heart, and I'd rather them win it then the Mets or Yankees, or Boston. Two years ago I had to deal with a bunch of my Chicagoland buddies who are White Sox fans. That sucked. I don't even hate the White Sox, I wasn't born here. The Brewers and Cards were my mortal enemies.

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I am not really a Brewers fan, I like them but I also like the Cubs. Truth be told, I'm not much of a baseball fan, I find it too long and boring. The last baseball team I really liked was the Sandberg led Cub's. Ryno was my favrite player and I always liked the Bull and the Sarge also. Those days were really the last time that I really followed baseball but now with the Brewers doing somewhat well, I root for them to win. Both teams are not very good although the Brewers have some nice young talent but as you posted, they will most likely leave when they can cash in. The best thing about baseball is that this means that football is right around the corner.

4and12to12and4
09-12-2007, 08:39 PM
I LOVE baseball. I watch it all the time, although, football is obviously my passion, or I wouldn't be posting at PackerRats while the Cubs are playing!! :lol:

If you are as much of a Cubs fan as a Brewers fan, than WTF? I got enough stress with a wife and two teenage daughters. Now I got you talking shit about the Cubs and you're a "fan"? You got issues buddy.

As a true Cubs fan, I watch them, and will one day cheer as they win a World Series. Hopefully sooneer than later. But I would trade 25 World Series trophies to see even ONE more SuperBowl win in GreenBay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b bulldog
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm a guy who wil root for either of these two teams if they make the playoffs. Neither of them derserve to be in the playoffs in my opinion but one will get lucky and get in.

esoxx
09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I do agree that the Packers are MUCH more loved than the Brewers, and why not, you're Brewer organization doesn't give a shit about winning. 40,000,000 dollar payroll is a friggin' joke. They will trade half the team this offseason. They are a step away from the Pirates. I'm glad my stepdad was a Cubs fan in Wisconsin growing up. They never win, but at least they spend money and try, and I get to watch some badass superstar players everyday. Sorry Brewers fans. Yount's not coming back. You may never win a World Series again unless you start keeping your players when they become stars. Fielder will be gone in two years. Guaranteed.

I'll say this much, you are pretty much a typical fan of a Chicago sports team. You have no clue on your facts.

Step away from the Pirates? Umm, no. Check the standings lately?

They will trade half their team this offseason? No.

Payroll numbers you cited are off.

But who cares about details.

For your information, their talent, that they developed in their own system, are years away from free agency. Fielder, Braun, Gallardo, Weeks, Hardy, Hart, among others, will be here for a while and will only get better.

2002 called and they want your outdated views on the Brewers back.

Zool
09-13-2007, 12:28 PM
I do agree that the Packers are MUCH more loved than the Brewers, and why not, you're Brewer organization doesn't give a shit about winning. 40,000,000 dollar payroll is a friggin' joke. They will trade half the team this offseason. They are a step away from the Pirates. I'm glad my stepdad was a Cubs fan in Wisconsin growing up. They never win, but at least they spend money and try, and I get to watch some badass superstar players everyday. Sorry Brewers fans. Yount's not coming back. You may never win a World Series again unless you start keeping your players when they become stars. Fielder will be gone in two years. Guaranteed.

I'll say this much, you are pretty much a typical fan of a Chicago sports team. You have no clue on your facts.

For your information, their talent, that they developed in their own system, are years away from free agency. Fielder, Braun, Gallardo, Weeks, Hardy, Hart, among others, will be here for a while and will only get better.

Drop some knowledge on em Esoxx.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2007, 12:29 PM

Nice. I still like the Cubs, but this year made me realize I'm a much bigger Crew fan than Cubs fan. I didn't know this because the Crew haven't been in contention since the first year I started "watching" baseball (in 1982). I say "watching" lightly--because in those days I never got any news on the Crew. I did come home to the Cubs every day. They were on WGN. The only other team on TV, the Braves, were on at night. By that time, Dad had control of the remote, and he hasn't been a baseball fan since the Braves left Milwaukee. Because of guys like Ryno, the Hawk, and Shawon Dunston, I'll always have a soft spot for the Cubs. But not when they are battling the Crew.

Cheesehead Craig
09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/168/70showmichaelkelsoburn8fd.jpg

cpk1994
09-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Wow, must've pushed a button. I live in a neighborhood in which the average house is worth approx. 300,000 dollars, I love night walks. I just want to make the point that with TVOing and all the recording going on, there is no longer any way to REALLY know who's watching what, only who's watching what LIVE. I watch tons of sports TVO'd. I'm taping the Cubs game right now. No Nelson rating knows that. It's bogus. I do agree that the Packers are MUCH more loved than the Brewers, and why not, you're Brewer organization doesn't give a shit about winning. 40,000,000 dollar payroll is a friggin' joke. They will trade half the team this offseason. They are a step away from the Pirates. I'm glad my stepdad was a Cubs fan in Wisconsin growing up. They never win, but at least they spend money and try, and I get to watch some badass superstar players everyday. Sorry Brewers fans. Yount's not coming back. You may never win a World Series again unless you start keeping your players when they become stars. Fielder will be gone in two years. Guaranteed.

Im going to have to clue you in on a few things:

1.Fielder is under contract until 2010 and is up for arbitration. Going nowhere.

2. The Brewers payroll was $40 million...... IN 2005. Mark A. has DOUBLED the payroll, to $80 million in two seasons.

You want badassed players? The Brewers have:

1. Ryan Braun, he of the .344 average and a lock for NL Rookie of the year. Cubs havae no serious candidtate.

2. Prince Fielder, he being the leader in home runs with 44, and a candidate for NL MVP. Cubs have no candidate

2. Francisco Cordero, he of the 40 saves, also a pretty good bet for Relief Man of the Year. Cubs have Ryan Dumpster. Yawn.

BTW, I hope you are enjoying Zambrano choking on that $90 Mil right now. WHile you are doing that you need to get out of the 90's and into 2007. You might learn something.

Freak Out
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Im going to have to clue you in on a few things:

1.Fielder is under contract until 2010 and is up for arbitration. Going nowhere.

2. The Brewers payroll was $40 million...... IN 2005. Mark A. has DOUBLED the payroll, to $80 million in two seasons.

You want badassed players? The Brewers have:

1. Ryan Braun, he of the .344 average and a lock for NL Rookie of the year. Cubs havae no serious candidtate.

2. Prince Fielder, he being the leader in home runs with 44, and a candidate for NL MVP. Cubs have no candidate

2. Francisco Cordero, he of the 40 saves, also a pretty good bet for Relief Man of the Year. Cubs have Ryan Dumpster. Yawn.

BTW, I hope you are enjoying Zambrano choking on that $90 Mil right now. WHile you are doing that you need to get out of the 90's and into 2007. You might learn something.

..and the Clubs are tied.