PDA

View Full Version : Crosby - Player of the Week

vince
09-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Crosby was Week 1's NFC Special Teams Player of the Week.

Kicker Crosby is a humble hero

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Back in Georgetown, Texas, they say the Crosbys are simple folks. Quiet, humble, hard-working people from the heart of Texas.

So, perhaps it should have been no surprise that the day after Mason Crosby, the Green Bay Packers' rookie kicker, booted the game-winning field goal to beat the Philadelphia Eagles, that his younger brother, Rees, a senior at Georgetown High School, barely mentioned a word of it to anyone as he walked the halls on Monday.

"I saw Rees in the hallway, said hello to him, but he really didn't say anything about the kick," said Frank Ibarra, the freshman football coach at Georgetown High, the only high school in the town of about 40,000 people. "That's just how Mason was. He also was very quiet and never said much. Everyone knew who he was, but he kept to himself a lot. He wasn't one to brag or boast."

To be sure, the entire school — and the entire town — knew about Crosby's latest exploits. It was splashed on the sports pages of the newspaper from nearby Austin and all over the local news.

But, from the sound of things, it would be unlike anyone in the Crosby family to act like anything unusual had happened — at least outwardly.

"That's how we were raised," Rees Crosby said. "If something good happens, that means you prepared well for it, you were focused and determined and you created your own luck. It's not something you go bragging about."

Humbleness rarely is exciting, but such is the first glance into the personal life of the Packers' newest star, who in his first NFL regular-season game lifted the Packers to a 16-13 victory over the Eagles with a 42-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining. The sixth-round draft pick, who beat out incumbent Dave Rayner, also made kicks of 37 and 53 yards to complete his perfect debut.

Crosby's father, Jim, attended Sunday's game at Lambeau Field, but his mother, Karen, stayed behind to watch Rees, a senior linebacker and punter, play a game in San Antonio on Saturday.

"We have a real supportive family like that," Rees said. "If one parent was going to see Mason play, the other would stay and see me play."

The Crosby boys come from an athletic family. Jim played fullback at UTEP, and one of their grandfathers ran track at Marshall University. In high school, Mason not only was a standout kicker and punter, but he earned accolades as a free safety. He also was a standout soccer player and plays to a single-digit handicap in golf.

Yet from the day the Packers selected Crosby at No. 193 overall in the draft, it has taken prodding to get much personal information out of him. His special teams coach, Mike Stock, admitted on Monday that "I don't really know him that well."

"He's a pretty balanced guy," said Brian Cabral, an assistant coach at the University of Colorado, where Crosby kicked for four years. "Even with all the success he had here, he was pretty even-keeled. He's just a humble guy who goes out and does what he does. He was never in trouble. He was a good kid and an all-around good guy. You're not going to find any stories here other than how far he can kick it."

Stock used some of those same words to describe Crosby, who was the third of three kickers selected in April's draft.

"He's reserved," Stock said. "I think he's balanced. He's never going to be too high, and he's never going to be too low. He's human. He's going to miss some kicks, but he didn't miss any (on Sunday). We're just one game into the season, so let's not put anyone into the Hall of Fame yet."

Crosby said he and Rees get their demeanor from their father, who works as a salesman for a chemical company in Texas.

"His personality and temperament is the same as ours," Crosby said. "Don't get too high. Don't get too low. That comes from my dad."

Knowing full well that Rayner was popular among his teammates, Crosby said little during the preseason other than the typical kicker clichés about trying to make every kick and win the job. Always polite but rarely exciting, the 23-year old slowly has made friends on the team. On Monday afternoon, receiver Donald Driver approached Crosby in the locker room and asked him to be a guest on his TV show, but Crosby already had committed to appearing on tackle Mark Tauscher's radio show.

"I usually don't say too much," Crosby said. "I just do my job when I'm on the field."

It helps that Crosby comes from a football background. Though he played soccer like most kickers, he could have played small-college football as a safety, too. He showed some of those skills on the final kickoff of Sunday's game, when he threw his body to make a tackle.

"I don't know if you saw who made the tackle on the last kickoff cover, but you might get a better idea what he's all about," Stock said. "Take a look at it. He didn't go down there and waddle. He went right after him. You need to take a look at that if you want to be impressed by what he's all about."

vince
09-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Crosby Gets A Kick Out Of Win

by Nathan Hager, Packers.com
posted 09/09/2007

Making the team out of training camp.

Check.

Making a 53-yard field goal on your first NFL attempt, long enough for second all-time in team history.

Check.

The first rookie kicker in club history to kick a game-winning field goal since Chris Jacke on Dec. 3, 1989, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and the first rookie in the entire NFL to kick a game-winning field goal on opening day since Matt Bahr did it in overtime for the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sept. 3, 1979.

Check, and check.

One might go a whole career in order to achieve the aforementioned feats.

It took Mason Crosby one game.

It's hard to say what's next for the first-year player out of Colorado, but after Sunday's 16-13 win over the Eagles, it's difficult to imagine it being topped by Crosby's debut.

After edging incumbent Dave Rayner in training camp, you probably couldn't have blamed Crosby if he felt a sense of relief heading into Sunday. As it turns out, he had a very busy day and it got started with just over five minutes gone by in the first quarter when he booted a 53-yard field goal to give the Packers an early 10-0 lead.

Crosby would later add another field goal near the end of the third quarter, but as impressive as his day had been to that point, it wouldn't come close to matching the excitement that his final kick of the day possessed.

After Jarrett Bush raced down on a punt return and recovered a fumble at the Eagles' 31-yard line, the Packers pounded the ball three times on the ground to the 25. As if Crosby didn't already have a pressure-packed afternoon, it got a whole lot more interesting when he marched out to attempt a 42-yard field goal.

Despite a high snap from Rob Davis, punter Jon Ryan got the ball down, and Crosby's kick snuck in for the Packers first home-opening win since 2002.

Needless to say, Crosby had been anticipating his first real action as an NFL player, but even he didn't dream of how things transpired Sunday.

"I visualized this whole week, just having a good game and making kicks," Crosby said. "But the thing I'm most happy about is how this team fought through everything. We got a chance to win it and I was very happy I could perform and make the kick to finish it off for everybody."

Davis, the consummate professional, admitted he didn't snap the ball as well as he should have. But then again, it got the job done according to both Ryan and Crosby.

"The snap and hold was perfect," Crosby said. "The protection was great. That made it a lot easier whenever I can just go and not have to worry about that.

"As soon as I saw the ball, everything seemed perfect to me. I just went after it and it felt great off my foot."

Ryan said even if the snap were high, he didn't notice because that's not part of his job. Getting it down and helping Crosby put it through the uprights was first and foremost on his mind.

"Once you get out there, you're not thinking, you're just going," Ryan explained. "I just reacted and really when it comes down to it, that's what I'm paid to do.

"I probably take 150, 200 holds a week. Once you get in the game, you don't really think about it."

Something people have been thinking about a little bit, on the other hand, is how Crosby would respond once the game was on the line. He proved himself in training camp, but he'd be the first to admit that the regular season is a whole new beast.

Certainly, he distinguished himself Sunday, and Head Coach Mike McCarthy was very pleased with what he saw out of his strong-legged kicker.

"He's a talented young man," McCarthy said. "Just seeing the way the ball comes off his foot, and the lift he gets is something that is uniquely special that way. His focus, concentration...He nailed it."

Ryan echoed those sentiments and added that Crosby couldn't have fared much better in his regular-season debut as a Packer.

"That's big-time," Ryan said. "Coming in as a kicker, you have a lot of pressure on you. To kick a 53-yarder and come back in the fourth quarter with the last kick is unbelievable."

This heroic effort wasn't lost on Brett Favre either, a man who has seen his fare share of pressure situations.

"He better make them all now," Favre joked. "I'm sure there was a lot of pressure and he handled it obviously. No matter what he does in the future, I wish him well obviously, but he will remember that one.

"What a way to start of your career. The way our game was going, that was great. We know now he can handle the pressure, now we will see if he can handle the conditions as they get worse."

Those questions will clearly be answered later in the season. For now, just as Favre said, Crosby had a performance he'll probably think back upon quite often.

Yet, answering questions in the media auditorium after the game, Crosby acknowledged Sunday's win was a total team effort and he was just happy to contribute.

"It's great being a part of this team," he said. "It was a great feeling to get the win today, it was great to make the team and be able to do this on my first time out.

"I kind of got thrown into the fire on the first test and that's kind of how I like it. It's exciting."

Exciting?

You can add that to the checklist, too.

Kiwon
09-12-2007, 07:28 PM
You can't have a better confidence booster than being selected "Player of the Week."

Good start to hopefully a long career.

CaliforniaCheez
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
If Jones or Jackson isn't rookie of the year then hopefully Crosby gets it.

Noodle
09-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Dad gummit, this confirms what I saw on the last KR -- Mason went human torpedo on the returner and put his ass down!

My worry at the time was that now other teams might assign a guy to knock him down on kick-offs, since NOBODY wants to get whacked by the kicker. But dang he looked good on that last play.