PDA

View Full Version : How else to explain it, other than disgusting?

PackerBlues
09-12-2007, 10:54 PM
After reading the recent JSonline article:

Coston may start for Spitz
Unit seeks major improvement

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=661637

I find myself wanting to blame someone....... but I don't know who to blame, and I don't know what to blame them for. In 2005, the Packers entered the regular season with 3 new guys on the O-line. Clifton and Tauscher, were the two guys left over from a Pro bowl caliber line. Here we are, it's the regular season in 2007, and the O-line did not look any better than it did in 2005. 3 players were replaced on the O-line two years ago, and now we are talking about starting Coston over Spitz.

WTF?

Is it Thompsons fault for bringing in guys who either cannot learn the system, or do not have the talent to play in it?

Is it the players fault for not trying hard enough, or not putting in enough effort?

Is it the coaches fault, did they just not do a good enough job of teaching these guys?

Is this Offense just to damned hard to learn?

What in the hell is going on in GB, that in over two years time, we have not been able to get an O-line that can function worth a shit?

Why do we still have questions about who the starters should be after this damned long?

Is it as simple as asking, do we have the right players? do we have the right coaching staff? do we have the right Offensive scheme? Or is it a combination of all of these things?

Sorry for the little rant, but seeing that we still have questions about who should start on the O-line after two years, is........ disgusting! :x

HarveyWallbangers
09-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Could be that a talented, young player finally worked his ass off this offseason and "got it". Maybe he worked to earn a shot at starting--while the other guy has plateaued. I commend them for doing whatever they think is best for the team. Hopefully, the new guy does well. I think a lot of us (e.g. Bretsky) felt Spitz's upside was limited, so I'm not surprised that he's the one that they are looking to replace. This OL isn't as bad as they were in the first game, so I expect better results in the future.

Deputy Nutz
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Here is the deal Spitz and Colledge were high round rookies drafted to take the place of two veteran guards. Almost every college system runs some version of the zone running scheme. There so far has been no continuation from the progressive play that we saw at the end of last season.

Both played different positions in college. Colledge was a left tackle, and Spitz was a center. this isn't an excuse, but just a fact that neither Colledge or Spitz has proven anything over the last season or so that leads the team to believe that they are the long term answers. They both have talent, but it takes time to build an NFL linemen, Spitz broke out of the gate last year, but injuries have slowed his progress.

Lets not take anything away from the Eagles defensive line, they played balls out and the Packers have always had problems adjusting to Jim Johnson's scheme.

Like I said, Spitz is dealing with a nagging injury, and this might be a bit of a media trick to make it look like they are trying to fix the problem, but in reality Coston could replace anyone on the line if it was based on their play last Sunday.

This zone system takes time to run cleanly. It isn't functioning on at any level right now, the backs are new to the system, and the offensive line has taken a step back in their progress. You could possibly blame the coaching staff and their work in the preseason not preparing these guys properly.

I still think it will get cleaned up, it may take a few weeks, and that sort of sucks, but for the zone to work everyone needs to be on the same page.

cheesner
09-12-2007, 11:22 PM
WTF?!?

What do you think of the youth and talent at safety?

What do you think of the youth and talent at LB?

What do you think of the youth and talent at DT?

What do you think of the youth and talent at DE?

What do you think of the youth and talent at WR?

What do you think of the youth and talent at backing up our QB?

Is that all you have for TT is criticism? His fixes for the positions above seem to be working out - and looking very promising. Yet all you can focus on is the OL and the problems there. You complain that he trades down and gets extra picks, then you bitch that he hasn't gotten enough players.

I have news for you. OL take longer to develop. You know, the players you are bitching about TT loosing - Wahle and Rivera, SUCKED their first several years with the players. Rivera couldn't start. Wahle started and was a disaster - he got benched for a year.

How many OL start as rookies and are good? NOT many.

Give it a frick'in rest already.

BallHawk
09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Cheesener's right, if you want to build a solid unit like Denver has, it takes longer than a year.

How long did it take to get the whole Rivera, Flanagan, Whale, Tauscher, Clifton going? It didn't happen over night.

All in due time, my friend. :D

Scott Campbell
09-12-2007, 11:39 PM
I find myself wanting to blame someone......

Whenever I feel that way, I find it helps to post this:

http://tarapfeifer.com/albums/stuff/mike_sherman_sleeping.jpeg

MadtownPacker
09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
As long as they keep winning I dont give a damn how ugly it is. There is another thread discussing football and how the OL is making some changes so it is being addressed. Now we have to see if there is improvement.

The Shadow
09-13-2007, 08:43 AM
After reading the recent JSonline article:

Coston may start for Spitz
Unit seeks major improvement

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=661637

I find myself wanting to blame someone....... but I don't know who to blame, and I don't know what to blame them for. In 2005, the Packers entered the regular season with 3 new guys on the O-line. Clifton and Tauscher, were the two guys left over from a Pro bowl caliber line. Here we are, it's the regular season in 2007, and the O-line did not look any better than it did in 2005. 3 players were replaced on the O-line two years ago, and now we are talking about starting Coston over Spitz.

WTF?

Is it Thompsons fault for bringing in guys who either cannot learn the system, or do not have the talent to play in it?

Is it the players fault for not trying hard enough, or not putting in enough effort?

Is it the coaches fault, did they just not do a good enough job of teaching these guys?

Is this Offense just to damned hard to learn?

What in the hell is going on in GB, that in over two years time, we have not been able to get an O-line that can function worth a shit?

Why do we still have questions about who the starters should be after this damned long?

Is it as simple as asking, do we have the right players? do we have the right coaching staff? do we have the right Offensive scheme? Or is it a combination of all of these things?

Sorry for the little rant, but seeing that we still have questions about who should start on the O-line after two years, is........ disgusting! :x

I thought we won and were tied for the division lead......

PackerBlues
09-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I find myself wanting to blame someone......

Whenever I feel that way, I find it helps to post this:

http://tarapfeifer.com/albums/stuff/mike_sherman_sleeping.jpeg

LOL, that picture is gonna haunt Sherman forever.

Hey Cheesner, I am not blaming Thompson, hard as that may be for you to believe. I accept the fact that Wahle and Rivera are gone. My problem is that the Packers had 3 guys to replace on the O-line, while keeping two very good O-linemen in Clifton and Tauscher. The Packers have had the entire 2005, and 2006 seasons to replace those 3 guys, and I am troubled by the fact that not only do they not have the starters settled, but from what we saw against the Eagles, they still cannot function as a unit to Pass protect, or open running lanes. If anything, it looked like the unit as a whole has taken a step backwards.

I am not worried about the other young guys on the team. No other position/unit on the team looks as bad as the O-line, and so much of our offense as a whole depends on them. I didn't enjoy seeing Favre running for his life, as we saw him doing for the entire 2005 season, and I am upset by how long it is taking for the unit to "gel".

The Eagles threw everything but the kitchen sink at our O-line, and I am willing to wait and see how the O-line does against lesser Defenses. If the poor play of the O-line continues though, somebody is going to have to step up and take the blame, cause we have been hearing about the "fundamentals" excuse for to long now.

VegasPackFan
09-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Packer Blues,

My goodness dude, you can find the one nugget of crap in a bowl full of gold nugget cereal.

Try to look at life just a tad bit more positive.

GBRulz
09-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I actually think the mix up is a good idea. If players aren't doing their job, put someone else in. Remember when KGB lost his starting job, look how positive that turned out to be?

The thing about the OL line though, is last week the two poorest players were our veterans...the ones that I didn't think we'd have to worry about.

Brohm
09-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Coston could come in and kick ass and Spitz could become the next Packer Pro-Bowl center :shock:

One can dream....

Bretsky
09-14-2007, 12:26 AM
I actually think the mix up is a good idea. If players aren't doing their job, put someone else in. Remember when KGB lost his starting job, look how positive that turned out to be?

The thing about the OL line though, is last week the two poorest players were our veterans...the ones that I didn't think we'd have to worry about.

I'm not sure they were the worst. I think Spitz probably was, and Wells was getting eaten up in the middle as well. Basically they are all between bad and terrible.

Fritz
09-14-2007, 05:31 AM
I guess my thing is that I don't know enough about football to be able to make a reasoned judgement about this zone-blocking scheme. All I know is that the Packers haven't run for crap since they implemented it, so my temptation is to say it ain't working.

And I get the thing about the o-line taking more time to jell than other units, so I'm willing to be patient (especially if the team wins in the meantime). But if this running game isn't getting the necessary west-coast numbers (you know, 20 rushes, 80 yards a game) by game six or so, I'm going to start muttering under my breath and kicking the garbage cans.

In the meantime, I'm doing what I think most of us are - hoping. That, and I might start a Deshawn Wynn fan club.

PackerBlues
09-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Packer Blues,

My goodness dude, you can find the one nugget of crap in a bowl full of gold nugget cereal.

Try to look at life just a tad bit more positive.

I have not tried Gold Nugget Cereal yet, where do ya get it? I looked for cereal with nuggets of crap, but this was all I could find:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/ds_fudge.gif

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/cereal.jpg

So then I looked for cereal with Gold in it, and this was all I could find:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/Pimp_My_Cereal_by_r_i_u.jpg

I dunno, I guess I should not have eaten this shit before my last post, it may have given me a bad attitude:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/CEREAL2.jpg

While looking for the Gold Nugget cereal, I did find some new stuff I wanna try though:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/captain-chronic-cereal.jpg

This has got to be the lamest post ever........maybe I should be eating this stuff:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/trickyblue/assclown2520cereal.jpg

VegasPackFan
09-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Gold Nugget cereal is not available to you. It's kinda like having a Costco membership. Right now you dont qualify. Drink some kool aid and then check back.

CaliforniaCheez
09-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Coston could come in and kick ass and Spitz could become the next Packer Pro-Bowl center :shock:

One can dream....

I recognize sarcasm because Coston has done nothing on the field to date.

At the time of the draft I thought he was in danger of being cut this year.

The obvious reason is Spitz is hurt and he won't get better playing on it.

We will see how Mr. Coston impresses against the D-line of the Chargers.
Now that dream will be _______.