PDA

View Full Version : Silverstein: Wynn may give GB best chance to win

motife
09-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Wynn may give Packers best chance to win
Posted: Sept. 12, 2007

Tom Silverstein

Green Bay - Forty-six rushing yards into the 2007 season, the Green Bay Packers are fortunate to be 1-0 and headed to New York for a matchup against an injury-depleted Giants team.

Sounds like a good time to play it safe. You know, carry your cash in a money belt, stay out of the subway, buy your theater tickets at a box office. And most of all, don't buy the meat-on-a-stick from a street vendor.

While all of that might be good advice for those Packers who venture into Manhattan on Saturday, it wouldn't hurt to take a chance on Sunday. It's as good a time as any to find out whether rookie running back DeShawn Wynn can make it big on Broadway.

It's time to turn him loose.

Right now, Brandon Jackson, another rookie, is a safe choice to be the starting halfback. He has more plays in the offense this season than Wynn, Vernand Morency and Ryan Grant combined, has better hands than the others and has no noticeable character flaws that would make you question his effort level.

But safety is sometimes a dangerous thing in the NFL and if you don't take a chance with your most talented players you're cheating your football team. Wynn, by far, has the best combination of speed (4.47 seconds in the 40-yard dash), size (5-10½, 232 pounds) and natural running ability of any of the other running backs.

What you saw on the 18-yard pitch and run Wynn executed against the Philadelphia Eagles in the season-opener was the type of vision and cutting ability the Packers need while their offensive line tries to figure out the zone-blocking system. Wynn not only had the instinct to get upfield after quarterback Brett Favre underhanded him the ball, he used his blockers to get the necessary yards for the first down and put the Packers in field goal position.

When the Packers drafted Jackson in the second round, they envisioned Morency being their starter and Jackson a complement who could fill the third-down position and offer a little more power to Morency's flashy style. That all went to pot when patellar tendonitis shelved Morency on the first day of training camp and Jackson was thrust into the starting lineup.

Wynn, meanwhile, was a flier the Packers took in the seventh round out of Florida. Had he not come with a reputation for being lazy and unwilling to play through injuries, he would have been a much higher pick. The Packers took him with the 18th pick in the seventh round, which means he was pretty close to not being drafted at all.

And for awhile, the Packers saw glimpses of why he didn't deserve to be.

He missed all but one day of the rookie mini-camp in May with a pulled calf, missed all of the full-team mini-camp later that month and later missed a portion of the organized team activities in June. He reported to training camp with a stomach virus and missed four practices and then just as he was getting back in shape hurt his right thigh and missed nine practices and three exhibition games.

He made the team simply based on the lack of depth at his position and the little bit he flashed in practice and the final exhibition game. After he made the team, McCarthy sat down with him and told him flat out that he'd have to start playing through minor injuries and display some toughness if he wanted to stick around.

Since that time, Wynn hasn't missed a practice and played approximately 15 plays in the 16-13 victory over the Eagles. All of his action came as a third-down back, which limited his ability to touch the ball because often he was staying in to help block against the Eagles' blitz.

Jackson, meanwhile, touched the ball 19 times (15 runs, four catches) and generated 75 yards. His longest play from scrimmage was a 15-yard reception. Wynn surpassed that total on one of his two touches. His other play was an 8-yard run.

You can see the speed and power in Wynn's legs. He is built low to the ground with thick thighs and lean calves. Sometimes he dances too much when he gets near the line of scrimmage, but you can tell he has been toting the ball since he was young (he was one of the nation's highest-rated running backs coming out of Cincinnati's Reading High School) and played in a pro-style offense at Florida.

Whereas Jackson dropped the first pass Favre threw to him on what looked to be a substantial gain and seemed to lose confidence, Wynn plays with the swagger of someone who expects to break a big gain the next time he catches a ball.

Jackson got stronger as the game wore on and ran with more authority late in the game. But as the coaches studied tape, they saw that he lost his way on a number of running plays, running outside of the designed path. It's part of the inexperience Jackson brings to the position after starting just 11 games and rushing 291 times at Nebraska.

In the coming weeks, Wynn could see more time as the lead back in the offense, but right now McCarthy faces difficulty in bringing him along for these reasons:

Jackson is further along in the offense than Wynn because he was healthy most of training camp and was receiving the majority of snaps.

McCarthy has to get Morency carries in practice so that he can continue to come back from the injury and get to the position where he's ready to play more than just a few plays.

Committing to Wynn at this point would be a risk because Jackson's development would be slowed and he would be less ready to handle the starting job if Wynn got hurt.

McCarthy also has to get Grant, the back the Packers acquired from the Giants for a sixth-round pick, into the mix. The coaches and scouting department are very high on Grant and they think he could be someone they can rely upon.
In practice, McCarthy has set up a halfback-by-committee format where he sets aside plays for each of the backs and makes sure they are well-schooled in them. All of them can run other plays, but they are more prepared to run their particular packages.

With Wynn, the Packers are still finding out what he does best.

"We don't have a ton of information because he hasn't practiced, but we feel like we have a very good handle on what DeShawn's strengths are and we're giving him opportunities to play in those situations. We have a good feel for Brandon. Brandon is the one back that has benefited from all the injuries because he's got reps in everything. We're just kind of projecting in some sense and playing each guy in certain categories."

The bottom line, however, is that the running game needs someone who can turn a 1-yard gain into a 4-yard gain. It needs an athlete with power and explosiveness, a back with a knack for using his blockers and avoiding tacklers.

Now is as good a time as any to find out whether Wynn is that guy.

There is plenty of risk with him, but the Packers have had all camp to find out about Jackson and what they've discovered is that he's not ready to be a lead back. Now it's Wynn's turn at bat. They shouldn't waste any more time and should start getting him the practice time he needs to vie for the starting job.

He can't do much worse than 46 yards.

BallHawk
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I still think B-Jack should be the starter, but Wynn definitely needs to get more involved. He follows his blocks and doesn't hesitate, which is one thing Jackson needs to work on.

Packnut
09-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Neither Jackson or Wynn are ready to start in the NFL. They have been thrown into the fire with no time to learn. Our best chance is for Morency to come back and hope he can stay healthy while the other 2 learn the NFL.

Freak Out
09-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Neither Jackson or Wynn are ready to start in the NFL. They have been thrown into the fire with no time to learn. Our best chance is for Morency to come back and hope he can stay healthy while the other 2 learn the NFL.

..and when is Morency going to come back? Wynn has to get some carries so we can see what he's got.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
After he made the team, McCarthy sat down with him and told him flat out that he'd have to start playing through minor injuries and display some toughness if he wanted to stick around.

If McCarthy really said this, it's reasonable to assume that the only people in the room were McCarthy and Wynn. It's unthinkable that either would repeat it to the press. This smells like a crock of doo-doo that Silverstein cooked up.

They shouldn't waste any more time and should start getting him the practice time he needs to vie for the starting job.

I would say that the coaches ought to be open-minded in evaluating Wynn, Jackson & Morency. It is not at all clear which will be the best player. I hope and expect that Jackson won't be given priority because he was the highest draft pick. The cream will rise to the top.

RashanGary
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
I would say that the coaches ought to be open-minded in evaluating Wynn, Jackson & Morency. It is not at all clear which will be the best player. I hope and expect that Jackson won't be given priority because he was the highest draft pick. The cream will rise to the top.

With the way Harrell, Rayner, Manuel and Ferguson got treated, I'd say this coaching staff is pretty open to keeping the best player over the established guy or the higher pick.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2007, 08:10 PM
ya, I agree JH, I think the back will emerge and be named the starter by midseason. I won't be surprised if it is any of the three.

Joemailman
09-13-2007, 08:11 PM
After he made the team, McCarthy sat down with him and told him flat out that he'd have to start playing through minor injuries and display some toughness if he wanted to stick around.

If McCarthy really said this, it's reasonable to assume that the only people in the room were McCarthy and Wynn. It's unthinkable that either would repeat it to the press. This smells like a crock of doo-doo that Silverstein cooked up.

Here is Wynn's version pf the conversation:

Wynn, meanwhile, said Thompson and McCarthy made it clear to him that his roster spot is tenuous.

``Basically, (they said) I've got to prove myself and work hard, and if they see any decline in my work ethic or my mentality, I probably won't be here long,'' said Wynn, who rushed 21 times for 54 yards against Tennessee. ``Some people may feel like I don't deserve to be on the 53-man roster. The message is pretty much to earn my keep.''
While the position would appear just as clouded as it was entering camp, Thompson maintained the stance he's held throughout: He's not concerned.

Harlan Huckleby
09-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Here is Wynn's version pf the conversation

ya, thanks for the quote. I've read that before. And the quote from McCarthy that Wynn should "not get to comfortable."

Silverstein made-up the "injuries and toughnes" part to make a good story.

Deputy Nutz
09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
I honestly think that Wynn has more natural talent than any back on the Packers roster, and if he can turn that Talent into skill than I have no doubt he will be the starter by season end.

Joemailman
09-13-2007, 08:55 PM

ya, thanks for the quote. I've read that before. And the quote from McCarthy that Wynn should "not get to comfortable."

I think they call it poetic license.

MJZiggy
09-13-2007, 09:10 PM

I think they call it poetic license.

THERE IS NO POETIC LICENSE IN JOURNALISM!!!!!

VegasPackFan
09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
There are players that play far better than they practice. I dont know what it is, but there is something that clicks in them when they get into game-time situations. Lets not forget that Jerry Rice was considered slow..... But how often did you ever see him get caught from behind in a game-time scenario? NEVER (Rarely).

Its something called game time speed and you cannot measure it empirically. Thats why I actually think that Greg Jennings is a legit deep ball threat. Early last year he was BF's choice for down the sideline deep routes. I think Wynn may be the same type player.

Give him a shot at some more touches and see what happens. So far it has been so good.

Fritz
09-14-2007, 05:54 AM
I am getting ready to start the official DeShawn Wynn fan club. He is that player that I have latched onto as my dream/hope/fantasy player who comes out of nowhere for no real reason and develops into an NFL star.

However, in order to get this baby off the ground, I need to know more about the guy, so I'm asking for your help. First of all, I'm too lazy to look it up, so what's his jersey number? I want to get a Wynn Packer jersey. Second, in order to be a true fan club I - and the myriad members who will flock to it - need to know more about this guy.

Okay, he was lazy and all in college. That we know. And that's cool, because Americans love "the light went on" success stories. But we need to know more. For example, does he have cool hair like Al Harris or Atari Bigby? Has he ever done anything really interesting or quirky, like poop in somebody's laundry basket? Does he sound illiterate, and if so, can we say that it's just his street background and that in fact he's street smart AND football smart? Is he a wild clubber, or does he go home and play Halo 3? Does he have any illegitimate children? Any lawsuits pending? Does he eat too much junk food? Does he secretly read Jane Austen novels? What kind of car does he drive? Does he call Brett Favre "pops"?

the_idle_threat
09-14-2007, 06:06 AM
I am getting ready to start the official DeShawn Wynn fan club. He is that player that I have latched onto as my dream/hope/fantasy player who comes out of nowhere for no real reason and develops into an NFL star.

However, in order to get this baby off the ground, I need to know more about the guy, so I'm asking for your help. First of all, I'm too lazy to look it up, so what's his jersey number? I want to get a Wynn Packer jersey. Second, in order to be a true fan club I - and the myriad members who will flock to it - need to know more about this guy.

Okay, he was lazy and all in college. That we know. And that's cool, because Americans love "the light went on" success stories. But we need to know more. For example, does he have cool hair like Al Harris or Atari Bigby? Has he ever done anything really interesting or quirky, like poop in somebody's laundry basket? Does he sound illiterate, and if so, can we say that it's just his street background and that in fact he's street smart AND football smart? Is he a wild clubber, or does he go home and play Halo 3? Does he have any illegitimate children? Any lawsuits pending? Does he eat too much junk food? Does he secretly read Jane Austen novels? What kind of car does he drive? Does he call Brett Favre "pops"?

Wynn's Wynners?

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Wynn might be OK this year, but he seems to have a ton of upside and an off seaon of working his ass off will make his explosion and power go through the roof.

He's naturally strong. He's naturally explosive. He's naturally quick. He's naturally fast. He just needs to work hard at it and he can go from being just naturally strong to being unaturally strong and from being naturally explosive to being unaturally explosive. This year he's probably just a guy. If he works his ass off next year, I think he could be a very good starting RB for us.

PackerBlues
09-14-2007, 08:04 AM
There are players that play far better than they practice. I dont know what it is, but there is something that clicks in them when they get into game-time situations. Lets not forget that Jerry Rice was considered slow..... But how often did you ever see him get caught from behind in a game-time scenario? NEVER (Rarely).

Its something called game time speed and you cannot measure it empirically. Thats why I actually think that Greg Jennings is a legit deep ball threat. Early last year he was BF's choice for down the sideline deep routes. I think Wynn may be the same type player.

Give him a shot at some more touches and see what happens. So far it has been so good.

Excellent point VegasPackFan, a few perfect examples are Kampman and Jenkins. How long did we sit back and watch Kampman play great, while the whole time, people kept saying that he was a nobody that played with good effort? Pretty much the same with Jenkins, until he got to start, nobody seemed to think to highly of him. I am looking forward to seeing more of Wynn

LL2
09-14-2007, 08:17 AM
After seeing Wynn put together that 18 yard play Wynn should get as many carries as Jackson. Neither one has proven anything yet, so each should get a chance to prove themselves until we see who clearly is the better player.

KYPack
09-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Well Fritz you got me off my butt. I know a little about DeShawn Wynn. enuff to say that I don't understand the kid, but he does have potential. Wynn played HS football in Cincy at Reading High. Cincy is a prep football hotbed and college recruiters flock to grab these prospects. the top HS's send dozens of players to the top college programs in the country.

Reading is a top program and the coach Ken Minor is highly respected. DeShawn was one of the most highly rated players in Cincy history. the player he was often compared to is Shaun Alexander from nearby Boone county. Like Alexander, Wynn is well spoken, from a good family, and universally well liked.

Wynn was recruited by everybody and went to Florida, where he starred in the national championship game with Ohio State. But in general, his college career was a flop. He played some and had small successes, but nothing like his potential indicated.

He played for Ken Minor and put on his hard hat, packed his lunch bucket and worked his ass off and was a national prep star. Then he disappeared at Fla.

Next thing I know, we got him. I've been intrigued by him. Which Wynn do we get?

The hard working blue collar good kid from Reading High, or the shirking malingerer from Florida?

I'm hoping that Green Bay mystique will awaken Wynn's better instincts and get him playing at the star level again. I hope.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
This could end up being a 4 back committee before it's all over.

Jackson + Morency = platoon on 1st and 2nd downs
Wynn + Grant = platoon on goalline and 3rd downs

AV David
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM

I think Wynn mentioned this briefly in an interview about a week ago.

Like Dennis Miller though, I could be wrong.

run pMc
09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I've read some reports that he was miscast in Urban Meyer's system at FL and was also in his doghouse. My guess is the kid came out of HS and was a little full of himself, which didn't help him out in the effort department. It's also possible that he hit a plateau in college, but if he's as talented as they say, I think it's an attitude issue. I'm hoping being a R7 pick and barely making the roster (plus some tough-love from M3) might change that. I'd like to see what the kid can do.

LaFours
09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Wynn we need an rb to step up to get us the Wynn, Wynn just might be our guy.

Freak Out
09-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Wynn we need an rb to step up to get us the Wynn, Wynn just might be our guy.

Its a Wynn Wynn situation if Wynn goes out and has a great game and is part of a big Wynn.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm prepared to play an active & passionate role in Fritz's Wynn Fan Club.

We may be grasping at straws. But Wynn looks like a Wynner.

Badgepack
09-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I think that Wynn will shine this week. He really showed some awareness on the broken play for a key first down. Wynn gets the carries and gets 100 + yards this weekend.

KYPack
09-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I've read some reports that he was miscast in Urban Meyer's system at FL and was also in his doghouse. My guess is the kid came out of HS and was a little full of himself, which didn't help him out in the effort department. It's also possible that he hit a plateau in college, but if he's as talented as they say, I think it's an attitude issue. I'm hoping being a R7 pick and barely making the roster (plus some tough-love from M3) might change that. I'd like to see what the kid can do.

That's what I heard. Wynn got out of step with Meyer, who made him an example. That program has a ton of backs & Wynn took the fall.

Coach Mac is a traditional hard ass coach that may fire Wynn up & get him going.

Hopefully, Edgar will teach the kid a trick or two and open his eyes to the pro game. He's not an asshole, he just needs a boost and may blossom in our program. I assure you, he's Packer people, but does he have pro talent. That's the million dollar question.

KYPack
09-16-2007, 05:49 PM
All the Wynn fans are winners today.

I'll bump this one in light of our good ass victory today.

rbaloha1
09-17-2007, 12:28 PM
So far, Wynn displays the best speed, reading the running lanes, power and cutting ability. Jackson will get better once he gains more confidence and understands where the running lanes exist. Grant shows promise catching the ball and is similar to Levens. The group including Hall is talented and starting to make plays.

I would trade Morency for a draft pic and release Herron.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Herron is on IR. I still think we're going to need Morency before the year is out. He looked better last year than any of the RBs have looked this year.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Hopefully Wynn can keep this up.

Fritz
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm prepared to play an active & passionate role in Fritz's Wynn Fan Club.

We may be grasping at straws. But Wynn looks like a Wynner.

We need a name. Here's a thought: Wynn's True Fans - then we can be the WTF Club.

I like your other piece of wordplay. Everyone's a Wynner, baby.

GrnBay007
09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
We need a name. Here's a thought: Wynn's True Fans - then we can be the WTF Club.

:tup:

ND72
09-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Gotta be honest...I've never liked Wynn. People are NOT seeing things fully. YES, he has been somewhat impressive. He had 10 carries for 50 yards. His 2 Touchdowns were on Draw plays...2 plays, 46 yards, 2 TDs.....his 8 other carries went for 4 yards. His 9 total other carries have gone for 12 yards. I think he is a great change of pace, or 3rd down back. But he's not a starter. He doesn't catch the ball very well, never has.

Yes, I do like Brandon Jackson...Do I think he's been doing amazing, no. But I also question the run calls, and in general, the run scheme. I think he'll find his niche and go with it. Jackson has a lot more talent and growth than Wynn does.

If Jackson had gotten any hole like Wynn did on his 38 yard TD (draw play), I'm sure Jackson would be looking a whole lot better also. Jackson catches the ball very well though, and reads very well.

I also think Ryan Grant is going to show something as well that many of us haven't seen yet. He's a very fluid zone runner. I do like what McCarthy is doing by shaking things around a lot with Jackson & Wynn.

I DO think however, that Jackson & Wynn are a perfect compliment to eachother. Jackson is a finese, read and react runner, and Wynn is a "bigger" run down hill runner.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
If Jackson had gotten any hole like Wynn did on his 38 yard TD (draw play), I'm sure Jackson would be looking a whole lot better also. Jackson catches the ball very well though, and reads very well.

We've seen Jackson extensively for 6 games. People are entitled to their impressions. Hey, including you!

Ya, the blocking has sucked. But the other backs are dealing with the same situation.

This is a contest that will be easy to evaluate. All 4 backs are going to get some carries, we'll see who can play. You can only say "Wynn got all the breaks" for so long.

And although I pull for Wynn, I actually expect Morency to rise to the top of the heap in about a month from now.

ND72
09-17-2007, 07:30 PM

We've seen Jackson extensively for 6 games. People are entitled to their impressions.

Ya, the blocking has sucked. But the other backs are dealing with the same situation.

This is a contest that will be easy to evaluate. All 4 backs are going to get some carries, we'll see who can play. You can only say "Wynn got all the breaks" for so long.

And although I pull for Wynn, I actually expect Morency to rise to the top of the heap in about a month from now.

It isn't that I think Wynn has gotten the breaks...wynn has ran 3 Draw plays for 54 yards. He's ran 8 zone plays for 12 yards. Our base is zone...so take what you want from that.

And Jackson has ran nothing but zones so far.

mission
09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
"Gotta be honest...I've never liked Wynn. People are NOT seeing things fully."

you guys are hilarious. how is the rational that the remainder of wynn's runs only netted 8 yards valid at all? did you see wynn juke the hell out of the defender and leave his jock on the ground? and then outrun everyone else? ive yet to see jackson put a move on ANYONE.

does that make barry sanders an average running back, because, take away his long runs, he was always getting stopped behind the line?

"Yes, I do like Brandon Jackson...Do I think he's been doing amazing, no."

based on what? he's done nothing. even on draws... hasnt made anyone miss. hasnt outrun anyone. i think he has a lot of potential (to stay in the league). and if the kid is gonna be a finesse runner, he better start running with a sense of urgency.

i like them both but you talk so definitively as if it's soooo obvious that it just makes me chuckle. you base your support of jackson on a bad running scheme yet don't apply that same logic to the lack of wynn production in normal running situations.

how about M3 stop calling run plays on first down like it's religion and we might have a chance.

ND72
09-17-2007, 07:43 PM
"Gotta be honest...I've never liked Wynn. People are NOT seeing things fully."

you guys are hilarious. how is the rational that the remainder of wynn's runs only netted 8 yards valid at all? did you see wynn juke the hell out of the defender and leave his jock on the ground? and then outrun everyone else? ive yet to see jackson put a move on ANYONE.

does that make barry sanders an average running back, because, take away his long runs, he was always getting stopped behind the line?

"Yes, I do like Brandon Jackson...Do I think he's been doing amazing, no."

based on what? he's done nothing. even on draws... hasnt made anyone miss. hasnt outrun anyone. i think he has a lot of potential (to stay in the league). and if the kid is gonna be a finesse runner, he better start running with a sense of urgency.

i like them both but you talk so definitively as if it's soooo obvious that it just makes me chuckle. you base your support of jackson on a bad running scheme yet don't apply that same logic to the lack of wynn production in normal running situations.

how about M3 stop calling run plays on first down like it's religion and we might have a chance.

no, you're taking this wrong. Yes, I do like Jackson, and Yes, I didn't like Wynn in college, or WYNN (ok it's catchy) we drafted him, or anytime since then. But, I'm excited to see someone take the bull by the horns right now.

All I'm saying is we aren't looking at this fully. In his 9 zone plays, which is 99.9% of all running plays we've called, he's had 12 yards. In his 3 draw plays, which is what they call as a change of pace, catch them off guard play...he's done VERY WELL. Why does that make sense to everyone else I've talked to but nobody on here?

I do want to see Jackson do well, that doesn't mean I don't want Wynn to do well. I see a lot more potential in Jackson, than I do in Wynn...that's my opinion. Everyone keeps saying the Wynn thing is there opinion...ok great, this is my opinion. But, I am also giving some statistical FACT...in our base running plays, Wynn has 9 carries - 12 yards (1.3 ypc), Jackson has 32 carries - 75 yards (2.3 ypc)...that's just our zone plays. Yes, Wynn has 12 total carries for 64 yards (5.3)...

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree with ND. Wynn has had a few nice runs, but Jackson hasn't had the blocking that Wynn had on those two TD runs. Right now, both guys are below average. If I had to pick who will be the best long-term player in the NFL, I'd probably still choose Jackson. Neither look as good as Morency did last year. I wouldn't count Grant out either. Apparently, if you get a huge holes on a couple of runs, the dropped passes, false starts, and the unimpressive running for the rest of the three games are forgotten. Right now, I'd say it's still a crapshoot on who rises to the top.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 11:51 PM
I'll take back my comment on the second Wynn TD. The middle was stuffed, and he showed good awareness to take it outside and did well with it. I'd like to see what Jackson (and Grant) can do if he got a little blocking. Jackson is tentative at times, but I wonder if some of it is because he's thinking too much and is struggling with not having any room to run. I have seen him make people miss when he has room--especially on some of the pass plays. Even if you go back to his Steelers and Seahawks highlights, he had some nice runs. He almost seems to be getting more tentative with each game (and each game with more putrid run blocking), so he's probably thinking too much. He doesn't look as decisive as he did at Nebraska.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 12:21 AM
I was impressed with Wynn even in the preseason game where the blocking was horrible and he struggled. He is a fluid runner, good instincts and some power. Its still just a hunch that he can be good.

I'll tell ya who Jackson reminds me of: Leshon Johnson or Darrell Thompson. And he's not as fast as either of those guys. He's a little stiff like those two undistinguished backs.

But I don't know where Jackson is going to go. He could still pan out. If he can become a good pass reciever, that will help a lot.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 12:37 AM
I was impressed with Wynn even in the preseason game where the blocking was horrible and he struggled.

I don't know if you were even around, and I stated that he kind of impressed me in that game--while some others thought he should be cut. I'm kind of in between. I think he belongs in the NFL, but I don't think he should be a team's #1 RB.

Jackson doesn't remind of Leshon Johnson or Darrell Thompson. Totally different running styles, in my book. Thompson was a big dude with limited cutting ability. Leshon wasn't tentative. He just never had any instincts. I think it's too early to tell on Jackson. Leshon was a great athlete. Jackson reminds me more of Travis Jervey--without the speed. Travis ran tentatively.
:(

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Jackson resembles Darrell Thompson in his mechanical, Forrest Gump-like leg action. "And I was RUNNING."

KYPack
09-18-2007, 07:53 AM
I agree with a lot of this. There is one aspect, tho. Wynn did make his yards on a gimmick play, but he made the play. I don't think any of our other lads could have broke that play off as sucessfully as Wynn.

I also wanted to add a little to my previous post re:Wynn. About 4 weeks ago, I was in a popular rib joint in Cincy. An old friend of mine came up to me to hang out. One of his first words were that the Packers have drafted a sure fire NFL star. I was thinking Harrell or somebody when my pal came out with the name DeShawn Wynn. My buddy is the principal of the high school next to the one (Reading) that Wynn attended. My pal tried to get Wynn to go his high school instead of Reading when Wynn was in 8th grade.

Wynn eventually refused, but he wrote my pal an articulate, well thought out 2 page letter explaining his reasons for going to the rival high school Wynn made the right choice, he gained over 2000 yards for 3 seasons and was one of the top 15 college prospects. My pal Willie has always been impressed with Wynn, you don't gets lots of thoughtful 2 page letters from 8th graders.

Then came Wynn's decision to go to FLA. Both Wynn and his family feel he got royally screwed by Urban Meyer and the Fla coaching staff. Willie told me flat out that Wynn wants to succeed with a burning desire so he can show the Fla coaching staff what a mistake they all made.

if all this is true, I love it. Give me a young athlete with a case of the ass and something to prove every time. Wynn sounds like Packer people, let's see if he can't be a Packer star.

the_idle_threat
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
WTF!!!!!!

:cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: :cow: