View Full Version : Nice Aricle on Grant-Packers New RB

Bretsky
09-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Packers' Grant a mirror image
Back conjures up images of Levens
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 13, 2007

Green Bay - It isn't the reason the Green Bay Packers traded a sixth-round pick for a former undrafted free agent without a single play of experience in the National Football League, but Ryan Grant's resemblance to a certain former Packer certainly hasn't gone unnoticed around here.
Asked if he picked up on the similarity the first time he saw Grant, running backs coach Edgar Bennett spit out a replay before the question was even completed.

"Dorsey Levens," Bennett said. "In fact, I told him, 'You're wearing 25 but you also kind of favor the guy that used to wear 25. Don't have Dorsey call me to get on you because you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing.' "

Bennett should know a Levens look-alike when he sees one. They were part of the same backfield for three seasons in the mid-1990s and were a one-two punch that led the team to a Super Bowl XXXI victory.

"You can see some similarities, you really can," Bennett said of Grant. "The only thing is that Dorsey was fuller in his pads; he was a bigger guy. He was about 230. Ryan is about 220, 218. But as far as style, you see it. I like his running style. He's a slasher, he has good body lean, he has power and he has burst. I like his running style. He can catch the ball.

"His opportunities will come."

Grant was preparing to be an integral part of the New York Giants' offense after rushing 18 times for 90 yards and a touchdown in the exhibition season, when unbeknownst to him the Packers were meeting the Giants' demands for a trade. Figuring they had veterans Derrick Ward and Ruben Droughns and seventh-round pick Ahmad Bradshaw to back up starter Brandon Jacobs, the Giants couldn't pass up a chance to get a draft pick.

They held out until the Packers were forced to send a sixth-round selection with no conditions tied to it on Sept. 2.

"They were going to keep all of them," Grant's agent, Alan Herman, said of their running backs. "(Assistant general manager) Kevin Abrams told me over Labor Day that it was too good of a deal to pass up. They got a guy they signed as a free agent and they were getting a sixth-round pick. As much as they liked him there was too much value.

"They told me Green Bay was jumping up and down when they did it."

Grant, a straight-A student at Notre Dame, went mostly unnoticed in the 2005 draft, lasting all seven rounds without a sniff. Herman suspects it had to do with him playing second fiddle to Darius Walker, a sophomore the Fighting Irish thought had star potential but is currently without a job in the National Football League.

Grant started nine games but had just 515 yards rushing as a senior. No one was looking to spend a draft pick on a backup.

General manager Ted Thompson and Bennett kept an eye on Grant, whose career took a little bit of a detour last year when he slipped on a nightclub dance floor and hit his hand on a nearby table while breaking his fall. A glass broke and Grant suffered a serious gash in his hand.

"He almost bled to death," said Herman, who said alcohol was not a factor in the accident. "It severed an artery. He was not too far off from not making it. He had nerve damage in that hand, but he came back 100% this year. He did a great job coming back."

The Packers are so enamored of Grant that they activated him for the first game despite his lack of experience in the offense. This week he is receiving some repetitions with the No. 1 offense and it wouldn't be surprising to see him move ahead of Jackson or Wynn on the depth chart as the season goes along.

At 6 feet 1 inch, he's strong and lateral, much like Levens. The key to his success will be whether he can consistently run with his pads down.

The Packers have been picking Grant's brain this week about the Giants, allowing him to help adjust the scout team defense for the benefit of the offense's preparation. But that contribution has been minor, much less than what the Packers are expecting of him down the road.

Grant thinks he can help the Packers right away on Sunday. He said he felt as confident catching the ball as running it and was ready to contribute on special teams.

"I feel like I'm a match-up problem for a lot of defenses," he said.

packers11
09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
:glug:

pass the kool aid... 100 yard game for grant ! :)

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, we can dream, can't we? Levens wasn't much of a prospect coming out of college either. He played second fiddle in college also.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
The following is taken from a blog by one of the writers on the New Jersey Star-Ledger. Kind of interesting. Hopefully, this kid is good some day.

I'm told by a source who asked to remain nameless that RB Ryan Grant will be ready to go against his former mates on Sunday. That should make for an interesting storyline, especially if the Don Bosco grad rips off a few long runs.

The source also said the Giants' locker room was stunned when the Grant trade went down and the players believe he's going to be a successful NFL running back. Grant will get the chance to prove it on Sunday.

HarveyWallbangers
09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Kind of an interesting stat. It would be nice to have a breakout rushing game--like the Arizona game last year. Green Bay averaged 115 under Sherman, 94 under Ray Rhodes, and 91 under Lindy Infante.

Green Bay is averaging 100.53 rushing yards per game under McCarthy...

McCarthy's numbers aren't much worse, though, than Mike Holmgren's. With Holmgren in charge from 1992-'98, Green Bay averaged 101.95 rushing yards per game.

Joemailman
09-13-2007, 11:36 PM
We have this Grant Thread. We have the Wynn Thread. Why, it's an embarrassment of riches at RB! :D :glug: :cow: :wave:

MadtownPacker
09-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Yeah but which no name RB is gonna get his own fan club?

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, we can dream, can't we? Levens wasn't much of a prospect coming out of college either. He played second fiddle in college also.

Levens had a messed-up college career. He transfered schools. Got injured. But you could see Levens was a real talent as a rookie.

well, we haven't seen Grant play, but based on his pedigree, he's probably competing with Wynn to remain on the roster.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm not so sure. A 6th round pick is a lot to give up for a guy that they consider cut material. I'm betting they think pretty highly of him. Not sure, at this point, if it's warranted. I'm interested in seeing how he looks.

Bretsky
09-14-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm not so sure. A 6th round pick is a lot to give up for a guy that they consider cut material. I'm betting they think pretty highly of him. Not sure, at this point, if it's warranted. I'm interested in seeing how he looks.

Me too; I think TT thinks he can come in and contribute immediately. Otherwise he would not give up his most fondest blood relation via a trade to get him

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 01:05 AM
I think TT thinks he can come in and contribute immediately.

The Packers were staring into the oblivion. Morency out indefinitely. Jackson looked unimpressive, plus a concussion. Wynn out all preseason, nothing to count on.

Thompson's back was against the wall. HE had to get a guy who was able to play. But that doesn't mean he's better than Wynn or Jackson or Morency.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Grant - Grant - Grant! I'm all for it! Diamonds in the rough are a Packer fans best friend.

Fritz
09-14-2007, 05:25 AM
There's another way to see this comparison to Dorsey Levens. Now please, don't get me wrong, I really liked the Levster - he worked hard, knew what to do, got the yards, caught the ball, blocked. A good back.

But he was a system back - he was what the Packers needed from that position. And as I said, that's all cool, and if Ryan Grant could be a Dorsey Levens I'll be happy. At the same time, I knew Ahman Green, and Dorsey Levens was no Ahman Green.

Levens was good. Green was - and can still be for stretches - special.

Joemailman
09-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Yeah but which no name RB is gonna get his own fan club?

Fritz is leaning toward Wynn.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
This guys is NFL big at 6'1" 218
According to what I read out of NY, he's in prestine shape
He's NFL fast, clocking in the 4.4's in the 40 yd dash
He's very smart

If he runs high, he might be injury proned, but the guy has everything you look for physically. I've never seen him run. Maybe he's not natural, but he's not going to flop because he's not gifted enough. His stat line looks like Ahman Greens (with Green probably running 4.5's at this point in his career). I'm not saying he's A Green but he's got the physical ability. Let's see him play before we rule him out as a good player.

KYPack
09-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I really like Grant's size. He's bigger and 6'1". An RB must take a pounding. Our inital group was pretty smurf-like. Grant gives us a bigger guy hitting up in there and providing a target for Brett on swings.

I don't like all the TT bashing, but i don't think he's assembled a good group of RB's and TE's. Grant seems like a step in the right direction.

Bretsky
09-14-2007, 07:55 AM
We have this Grant Thread. We have the Wynn Thread. Why, it's an embarrassment of riches at RB! :D :glug: :cow: :wave:

Is it too late to add an Eric Torkelson and Whisper Goodman thread ?

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Favre says James Jones reminds him of Sterling Sharpe. Now, Edgar sees Dorsey Levens in Ryan Grant...

TT needs to search the wires for another Ron Kramer or Mark Chmura. Or how about another Forest Gregg or Jerry Kramer?

(If only it were that easy.)

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 09:04 AM
They are young. Who knows where they will be at in a couple of years. There are obviously things to really like about Jones. Physically, he does resemble Sharpe a bit. He's way behind in the mental aspects though. He should be a good player. I've never seen Grant. I keep going back to that scout's report at the time of the trade. The scout said that Grant was non-descript coming out of college, but thinks the guy looked great in the preseason, and thinks the Packers could have found a real sleeper. Now, there are these reports from the Giants locker room that his former teammates think he's going to develop into a good NFL player. We'll see, but it's better than hearing nothing about him.

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Just goes to show that NFL talent evaluation and scouting is an art as much or more than a science.

Yeah, I don't think TT would give up a 6th rounder if he was going to cut him. Otherwise, why not just do a waiver wire deal? I wish we could have had a shot at Antonio Pittman.

Badgepack
09-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Gant sounds like the real deal. He will be keyed up against his old team this week and gets 100+ yards plus 70 through the air. Dual threat just like Leven's was.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I have to bump one that I responded to.
:D

Bretsky
01-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Me too; I think TT thinks he can come in and contribute immediately. Otherwise he would not give up his most fondest blood relation via a trade to get him

"fondest blood relation"

What type of dumb ass would use that comment ?

I wonder where the thread is where about six of us argued who was first on board Gang Grant ?

Guiness
01-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Too funny digging these up!

Although it is interesting to look back at how Grant came about. Wasn't even on the radar early, 3rd on the depth chart, and expected to move to 4th when Morency came back. Then he had that fumble that put him in the doghouse...he certainly didn't have an easy route!

Bretsky
01-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Too funny digging these up!

Although it is interesting to look back at how Grant came about. Wasn't even on the radar early, 3rd on the depth chart, and expected to move to 4th when Morency came back. Then he had that fumble that put him in the doghouse...he certainly didn't have an easy route!

The injury to Wynn was huge blessing to Packer fans looking for a tough and legit back

Fritz
01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Brestsky, how can you say that? You clearly will not qualify for the DeShawn Wynn Fan Club.

He would have been better than Ryan Grant if he hadn't gotten hurt! He's a Wynner!

Bretsky
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Brestsky, how can you say that? You clearly will not qualify for the DeShawn Wynn Fan Club.

He would have been better than Ryan Grant if he hadn't gotten hurt! He's a Wynner!

Wynn = :cry: