PDA

View Full Version : JENNINGS...MORENCY...INJURY UPDATES

Bretsky
09-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Help wanted
Koren Robinson's return can't come a minute too soon, given the state of the Packers' receiving corps.

Starter Greg Jennings (hamstring) is iffy for the game Sunday against the New York Giants after experiencing soreness Thursday. The Packers thought they were over the hump with Jennings because of how well he practiced Wednesday, but the hamstring tightened and it's now possible he'll miss a second straight game.

In the meantime, No. 4 receiver Carlyle Holiday did not practice because of a sore left knee and remains highly questionable for Sunday.

If neither player can go, the Packers would have three receivers and two tight ends on their 45-man active squad.

"The wide receiver depth is a concern," coach Mike McCarthy said. "You're one play away from being out of some personnel groupings. That's what you try to avoid in game-planning. That's the reality of where we'll be. We have some backup plans."

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said he wasn't counting anyone out yet and that the worst-case scenario isn't a sure thing.

More soreness
Running back Vernand Morency will be shelved another week.

Morency continues to have pain in his right knee and isn't able to make it through an entire practice. The coaches have been getting rookies Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn and first-year pro Ryan Grant all the work they can with the No. 1 offense and are letting Morency run plays with the scout team as part of his rehabilitation.

"It's frustrating," Morency said. "You just get out there and do what you have to do to get back on the field as soon as possible and get through the full practice instead of limited practice."

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 12:42 AM
There's a certain peace of mind that comes with having a rag-tag group of running backs. If one gets hurt, try some of the others, no biggie.

DannoMac21
09-14-2007, 02:07 AM
"The wide receiver depth is a concern," coach Mike McCarthy said. "You're one play away from being out of some personnel groupings. That's what you try to avoid in game-planning. That's the reality of where we'll be. We have some backup plans."

I can think of 4 letters that could've solved that. *Cough* M-O-S-S *Cough*

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 02:15 AM

He would have? We'd still only have 3 active WR assuming the injured do not play, they'd just be a different three. How does Moss solve that? "Driver, Moss, Martin" vs. "Driver, Jones, Martin" would make an amazing difference in our offense?

the_idle_threat
09-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Driver/Moss/Jones might (and I mean might because there is no way of knowing for sure) have been a more dynamic trio than Driver/Jones/Martin, but Moss was dinged up a lot in Oakland and had some hammy problems of his own this summer. There's no guarantee that he would have been available at all. I like Driver/Jones/Martin better than Driver/Jones/nobody.

mmmdk
09-14-2007, 02:23 AM

Oh no! You said the M word. :shock:

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Jennings = David Martin :shock:

Fritz
09-14-2007, 05:20 AM
I think it's too early to say that Jennings is David Martin. If he sits out this one and comes back fine, then there will be no reason to compare. Don't blow the guy up too quickly.

As for Moss, you can argue - if you still want to go down that road - that not getting Moss was a mistake. However, having him here would not change the fact that the Packers are currently having some injury problems at wide receiver. Having Moss doesn't stop other players from being hurt.

And if you're still bummed about Moss, well, that's cool, but at some point you'll just have to let it go. Me, I just got over the John Hadl trade about two years ago.

Freak Out
09-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Help wanted

If neither player can go, the Packers would have three receivers and two tight ends on their 45-man active squad.

Sets it up nicely for the defense of the Giants.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 12:00 PM
The injuries to our skill players on offense have been ridiculous. Morency, Pope, Wynn, Herron, Jackson briefly, Grant briefly, Driver briefly, Jennings, Holiday, Lee.

packers11
09-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Were going onto week 6 with Morency... WHAT THE HELL IS TAKING SO LONG...

I know its his knee, but come on... He wants to be the "work horse" well maybe if he starts a damn game he can get his chance...

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I think it's too early to say that Jennings is David Martin.

The Packers miss Martin badly.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 12:23 PM

I know its his knee, but come on... He wants to be the "work horse" well maybe if he starts a damn game he can get his chance...

Dumb

If you want to beleive that players choose to miss games, go ahead and indulge yourself. I think its probably killing him that he can't play.

Zool
09-14-2007, 12:27 PM

Dumb

If you want to beleive that players choose to miss games, go ahead and indulge yourself. I think its probably killing him that he can't play.

I would agree with this. I believe this is the last year of his rookie contract. I could be wrong on that.

Merlin
09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
There's a certain peace of mind that comes with having a rag-tag group of running backs. If one gets hurt, try some of the others, no biggie.

I agree with the try someone else. But my take would be "how much worse could it really get?". The peace of mind part kind went right out the window when we didn't pick up anyone decent since last season.

Deputy Nutz
09-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Harlan, some guys can just deal with pain better than others, but at the same time you're mostly right, if Morency could be healthy I am sure he would choose to be and play, rather than be inactive and hurt.

If it doesn't get any better he is probably going to need surgery.

deake
09-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Looking on the bright side, injuries always result in opportunities for others.
Looks like we get a chance to see the new guy Sunday, do you think he will be our 3rd down back? Would like to see Wynn get a few more carries too. Didn't MM say that Jackson ran good routes? Could always use him in the 4 reciever set.

gbpackfan
09-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Jennings' injury is the one that irks me. MM's training camp was as light weight as it gets in the NFL and he stills ends up pulling a muscle before the first game. Now, he can't even get back on the field after two weeks? I'll tell you this, Driver would be on the field. Come on Greg, get your ass out there!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Let's see. Jennings badly sprained his ankle last year, and gutted it out for the rest of the year. I seriously doubt that the dude is milking his injury. Every team gets injuries. That's football.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Let's see. Jennings badly sprained his ankle last year, and gutted it out for the rest of the year. I seriously doubt that the dude is milking his injury. Every team gets injuries. That's football.

He's probably not milking it, but he starting to look pretty soft. This used to always happen with David Martin, he would leave the game fine, somehow get injured in practice and then miss a couple weeks. Talent means nothing if you can't stay healthy. I know its still early in his career to label him as injury prone, but these type of injuries he is getting worries me. As gbpackfan said, if this were Driver I don't see him missing more than a week or even getting these fluke injuries to begin with.

Bretsky
09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Fanball.com reports Jennings did not practice Friday and is very unlikely to play again this week

BallHawk
09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Looks like I'll be starting JJ.

4and12to12and4
09-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Well, the key to winning this game is running the ball and defense. I think the Giants are overrated, and without Tiki or Brandon back there, are almost are softer than us offensively. At least we have #4. The only reason they scored against the Cowboys is because the Cowboys defense isn't very good with all the injuries, etc.

I never would've expected to beat the Eagles last week. That was an amazing feat. We SHOULD beat the Giants. We have a far superior defense, and our offenses are similarly unspectacular. If we win the special teams and turnover games, we could rout them.

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Only guard Tony Palmer, who suffered a neck injury this past week against the Giants, was absent from this morning's practice. End Michael Montgomery made his first appearance since tearing the MCL in his right knee in the second preseason game, and running back Vernand Morency (knee) appeared to be fully participating.

Hopefully, Morency doesn't have any swelling tomorrow. I'm afraid that if he doesn't get healthy in the next week or two, they may shut him down for the season. Apparently, he has the same injury that has slowed Abdul Hodge.

PackerTimer
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Only guard Tony Palmer, who suffered a neck injury this past week against the Giants, was absent from this morning's practice. End Michael Montgomery made his first appearance since tearing the MCL in his right knee in the second preseason game, and running back Vernand Morency (knee) appeared to be fully participating.

Hopefully, Morency doesn't have any swelling tomorrow. I'm afraid that if he doesn't get healthy in the next week or two, they may shut him down for the season. Apparently, he has the same injury that has slowed Abdul Hodge.

There is no mention of Jennings. Did he practice? Earlier in the week, I had heard that he was being held out until Friday.

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
There is no mention of Jennings. Did he practice? Earlier in the week, I had heard that he was being held out until Friday.

Still the plan. Same with Clifton. Both missed practice.