PDA

View Full Version : Players missing Minicamp

MJZiggy
05-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Green, Clifton will miss first minicamp

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

It’s only the first minicamp, but the Green Bay Packers will be without at least two key starters on offense.

Left tackle Chad Clifton and running back Ahman Green will be among the players held out of workouts when practice begins on Friday afternoon. Coach Mike McCarthy said on Wednesday that Clifton won’t practice because he’s still recovering from offseason knee and ankle surgeries.

“Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ll probably hold him out this camp just to be safe,” McCarthy said.

That means the Packers’ new-look offensive line won’t be intact until at least the next minicamp, May 19 to 21. It’s unclear who will work at left tackle with the No. 1 offense, but it’s not likely to be second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge. Though Colledge played tackle at Boise State, the Packers are hoping he can win one of the starting guard spots, so they’ll almost certainly put him there right away.

Green still is several months away from returning from his torn quadriceps tendon. It’s unlikely he’ll participate in any of the offseason practices, and it’s not even a given he’ll be ready for the start of training camp in late July.

McCarthy said backup running back Najeh Davenport (broken leg) also is unlikely to practice, but Samkon Gado, the running back who came out of nowhere last year only to have his season cut short by a knee injury, is expected to practice.

McCarthy also said he hasn’t decided how much quarterback Brett Favre will do in the four practices this weekend.

“I want to visit with Brett tomorrow,” McCarthy said on Wednesday. “He gets into town tonight.”

Others not expected to practice this weekend include safety Jeremy Thornburg (shoulder), linebacker Brady Poppinga (knee) and linebacker Kurt Campbell (knee). McCarthy said the following players could practice if they get clearance from team doctors during today’s physical exams: punter B.J. Sander (leg), cornerback Jason Horton (shoulder), running back Chaz Williams (ankle), tight end Bubba Franks (neck) and receiver Robert Ferguson (knee).

Sixth-round draft pick Johnny Jolly, a defensive end from Texas A&M, also could be held out. He has a sprained ankle, which the Packers knew about when they drafted him, and will be re-examined today.

“Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s basically a high ankle sprain with some loose bone chips,” said Jolly’s agent, Brian Overstreet.

KYPack
05-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm always amazed at the number of guys still hurt in the spring from the last season.

Surprised they woulds run Gado this early, I thought his knee was pretty bad.

Let Klemm cover for Clifton, he's the back-uo LT, let him get the reps.

Put Daryn Colledge at LG and let him get all the reps he can handle. He needs to learn that Zone scheme. Somebody posted that Boise State ran the Zone. Colledge will need to work on his pass protection. These are NFL tackles he'll be blocking now, not the WAC guys. I hope this kid gets comfortable, he can make a huge difference in our offense.

MJZiggy
05-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Gado was saying it was such a minor tear that if the season were one week longer he'd have been back. He's been itching to get started all offseasn. I love this kid.

MadtownPacker
05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah I dont think Gado was hurt too bad. I have high hopes for him and look forward to seeing him prove he wasnt a fluke. I think he will be getting a lot of the dirty work with Green coming in for pass plays and 3&1s. Ahman was the sheeze on screens when the Oline was clicking. Always went for big yardage.

What is Najeh's status?

MJZiggy
05-04-2006, 11:04 AM
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports Najeh Davenport (ankle) and Ahman Green (quadriceps) won't be available to participate in the Packers' upcoming minicamp.
(Updated 05/01/2006).

Will offer more when I dig it up.

packrulz
05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Packers without RBs for first minicamp

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (May 4, 2006) -- New Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy won't have his top two running backs for his first minicamp as Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport continue to recover from last season's injuries.

Offensive tackle Chad Clifton, who is recovering from offseason knee and ankle surgeries, also is expected to miss camp.

Brett Favre, who told the team last week he would return to play next season, is expected to participate in the minicamp, which runs May 5-7.

Green ruptured his right quadriceps tendon in the Packers' game at Minnesota Oct. 23. Davenport broke his ankle at New Orleans Oct. 9.

FritzDontBlitz
05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
this first mini-camp is actually the extra camp alloted to new head coaches in their first season, so not to worry. i'm sure most of the players held out will be ready to go by the start of training camp.....

Fritz
05-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Had Walker not been traded he would not have been able to attend the minicamp, anyway, as his ego was bruised.

Fosco33
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I always wondered why folks here called Najeh 'Davenpoop' until I read the USA Today yesterday. He took a dump in some girl's room in college - :lol: