PDA

View Full Version : RB Poll Question

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Which RB do you think we'll end up relying on this year? Yes, there could be an answer of none of the above, but I'm not adding it. I want to see which of the RBs most people are favoring at this point.

MadtownPacker
09-14-2007, 02:15 PM
I have to say Wynn. Not sure why as he really hasn't shown much but he just seems to look more like an NFLer out there. If not him then Grant. Jackson showed some good stuff last Sunday on a few plays but he doesn't seem to have any zip.

LL2
09-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I vote for Wynn. Since we don't have an established RB give someone else a start to see what they can do.

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Hopefully the ZBS and running game will start to gel soon. If Favre has to throw much more than half of the offensive snaps, that could be tough.

Badgepack
09-14-2007, 02:32 PM
This week BJack will show us what he's got, 100+ yard game. By the way, how many times as BJack fumbled in his 5 games so far? I thinking only once but I didn't see all the pre-season games.

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm going out on a limb...of the four mentioned I'm gonna say Grant, even though I've never seen him play.

Morency is a good back, but can't stay healthy.

Jackson is next best, but way, way too green.

Wynn has promise but he's got to prove he has heart and the right attitude.

Grant (according to everything I've heard and read) is smart, fast, big and a hardworking, solid character. Plus, if Edgar sees Dorsey in him, that's good enough for me.

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Harvey, just an example of how these things go...

I started the 1967 season rooting for the gold dust twins in the backfield, Jim Grabowski and Donny Anderson. Then Grabowski got injured. Then Elijah Pitts went down. Travis Williams was a rookie with promise, but green as grass. We finished the season with two guys know one even heard of in September, Big Ben Wilson and Chuck Mercein. Those two came up big when it mattered. So you never know.

By the way, that year the Pack barely won their division. Bart Starr was 33 years old and plagued with injuries. He wound up the year with 9 touchdown passes and 17 interceptions. Still, that year they beat Dallas in the Ice Bowl and smoked Oakland in Super Bowl II.

Of course, lest anyone make too many comparisons with today's Packers, the '67 team had the best OL in the game, Boyd Dowler, Carrol Dale and Marv Fleming as receivers, and probably the best shut-down defense I've every seen before or since.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Man, you are old school. I like it. Starr had 9 TDs and 17 interceptions (in 14 games no less), and they still won the Super Bowl? I didn't know that. Crazy.

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Man, you are old school.

Ain't that the truth. Probably got less hair on my head than you have on your elbow.

By the way, despite his season Starr was the MVP in Super Bowl II.

I keep hoping -- knock on wood -- that the same miracle happens to Brett.

FritzDontBlitz
09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
i think jackson is a little too soft to be a reliable nfl back. wynn is still raw as hell but at least he takes advantage of his opportunites.

jackson has pretty much been the starter by attrition since the start of training camp, has he made ONE play that was even half as exciting as wynn's improvised catch and run last week?

swede
09-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Looking at that list I could make a coherent argument for any of those backs:

Morency was looking okay last year and he might play well when healthy;

Brandon Jackson still has upside and gains positive yardage when he a) gets a hole and b) hits it;

Wynn showed some firepower in that shovel pass run against Philly;

and Grant seems to have everything except success--this could be the team and the system that works for him.

I didn't say the arguments were persuasuve--just coherent. As a matter of fact I can't say that any one of those arguments is more likely to come true than the others, but chances are at least one of those story lines will pan out, right?

I voted for Wynn simply because I like his storyline the best. I'm a sucker for the screw-up redeems his life plot.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM
jackson has pretty much been the starter by attrition since the start of training camp, has he made ONE play that was even half as exciting as wynn's improvised catch and run last week?

I think so. He hasn't been great (or even good yet), but when he's had room to run (seldom) and gotten in the open field, he has broken some tackles and made some people miss. He did a nice job on those dumpoff passes last week. Am I the only one that wasn't that impressed with Wynn's run on the Favre play? It wasn't that special to me. He had an open field and a blocker in front of him. He had room on his other run too. It was a 3rd and 11 play, and he got 8 yards. He also had a false start. I thought he looked decent in the last preseason, but most people felt he should be cut after that game. He dropped a couple of balls and his stats were miserable. People are jumping on the Wynn bandwagon, but right now I still like Jackson a little more. I don't care who it is though, let's just hope one of these four RBs starts playing well.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 04:19 PM
we'll be lucky if one of the four pans out to be starter quaility.
well, with four chances, maybe "lucky" is the wrong word.

Here's the order I have them in likelyhood of success:

1 Morency - he showed potential last year
2 Wynn - just a hunch
3 Jackson - not very anything
4 Grant - who knows? But he was at bottom of Giants' list.

Pulling names out of a hat is probably just as reliable.

Freak Out
09-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Harvey, just an example of how these things go...

I started the 1967 season rooting for the gold dust twins in the backfield, Jim Grabowski and Donny Anderson. Then Grabowski got injured. Then Elijah Pitts went down. Travis Williams was a rookie with promise, but green as grass. We finished the season with two guys know one even heard of in September, Big Ben Wilson and Chuck Mercein. Those two came up big when it mattered. So you never know.

By the way, that year the Pack barely won their division. Bart Starr was 33 years old and plagued with injuries. He wound up the year with 9 touchdown passes and 17 interceptions. Still, that year they beat Dallas in the Ice Bowl and smoked Oakland in Super Bowl II.

Of course, lest anyone make too many comparisons with today's Packers, the '67 team had the best OL in the game, Boyd Dowler, Carrol Dale and Marv Fleming as receivers, and probably the best shut-down defense I've every seen before or since.

The gold dust twins. :lol:

They may have lost some RBs but that was a hell of a set of receivers.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd put them in this order.

Morency- If he stays healthy, he can put up 750 and 5 TDs. I really liked what I saw from him at the end of the season.

Jackson- He has potential, but he seems way too hesitant a lot of the time. Just pick a hole and run hard, your not going to get the perfect gap too often with this OL.

Grant- I've heard nothing but good things about him. I really hope we get to see this kid on Sunday because it sounds like he just needs an opportunity. Smart kid, too. Like Samkon Gado 2.0.

Wynn- I agree with Harv, his run against Philly wasn't that special. The play had collapsed and he did what any competent back would do, follow his blocks. It wasn't like he made people miss or anything, he took advantage of a favorable situation. I don't see him as any more than a #3.

Bretsky
09-14-2007, 04:47 PM

I think so. He hasn't been great (or even good yet), but when he's had room to run (seldom) and gotten in the open field, he has broken some tackles and made some people miss. He did a nice job on those dumpoff passes last week. Am I the only one that wasn't that impressed with Wynn's run on the Favre play? It wasn't that special to me. He had an open field and a blocker in front of him. He had room on his other run too. It was a 3rd and 11 play, and he got 8 yards. He also had a false start. I thought he looked decent in the last preseason, but most people felt he should be cut after that game. He dropped a couple of balls and his stats were miserable. People are jumping on the Wynn bandwagon, but right now I still like Jackson a little more. I don't care who it is though, let's just hope one of these four RBs starts playing well.

No, you were not the only one. I don't see it in Wynn.

My votes would be
1. Jackson
2. Grant

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I voted Grant. I just don't know but I don't think Wynn is ready. I don't think Jackson is ready. I don't trust Morency's health. I don't know anything about Grant, but it's better than what I know about the rest so I voted him. I guess I like Grants size, I like him being in the NFL for a full off season, I like his speed and I like his smarts. I have no clue how he'll play though. I guess TT giving up a 6th makes me believe in him a little as well.

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I hope your correct but as of now, my answer would be none of these guys.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I hope your correct but as of now, my answer would be none of these guys.

The question is "who is most likely" not "who is going to". With the who is most likely part, it's just who you think has a better chance than the rest. It doesn't even have to be a good chance.

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 04:58 PM
i STAND BY MY ANSWER, I don't like any of these but if you masde me choose, I'd begrudgingly say Wynn.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 05:02 PM
1. Grant
2. Wynn
3. Morency
4. Jackson

Jackson just goes down way to easy for my taste. He needs to get stronger.

PackerBlues
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Considering that the ZBS is supposed to involve the RB making a cut, and considering how naturally shifty Wynn looked on that screwed up play, I am going to go with Wynn as our best RB towards mid season.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me, that Jackson hesitates at the line, looking for a lane to develop......then again, it might just look that way because there was no lane to run into, lol.

I guess in all fairness, Wynn also had one of the O-linemen grab him and point him in the right direction on that play.......... time will tell I guess.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 05:23 PM
I see that with Jackson as well, PB. He sort of sits there, wondering what to do. Just go left or right, make a decision and fucking hit it. Worry about whether the decision was wrong after the game and find ways to make ti better. During the game, it's goes too fast to sit and think about it. Just go.

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Why do we need to swear in here? My 8 year old doesn't need to read this garbage.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Why do we need to swear in here? My 8 year old doesn't need to read this garbage.

Agreed.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 06:17 PM
My 8 year old doesn't need to read this garbage.

It's a forum for adults, not 8-year-olds.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
My 8 year old doesn't need to read this garbage.

It's a forum for adults, not 8-year-olds.

Still, I don't see it as necessary to curse. Maybe in the RR and definitely the GC, but there's a way to get your point across without cursing.

And now the flames begin.... :satan:

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I think cursing in expressive. If you can't curse, it's like taking some of the colors out of your box of crayons. And there is no substitute or cursing, it sets a tone that "fudge" just doesn't hit.

The sad thing is we are all at the mercy of one moron to decide these matters.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 06:32 PM
I think cursing in expressive. If you can't curse, it's like taking some of the colors out of your box of crayons. And there is no substitute or cursing, it sets a tone that "fudge" just doesn't hit.

I don't think posters should be told what to do; if they want to curse they can, that's one thing that makes PR different from JSO or PC. However, I'm saying that it shouldn't be used just for the hell of it.

But I'm not the authority here, that's just my opinion. Posters can do what they want.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 06:38 PM
BallHawk, I'm not afraid to express MY opinion: you should curse more.

Bulldog, put that 8-year-old on for a minute, Uncle Harlan has some advice to share.

Carolina_Packer
09-14-2007, 08:30 PM
http://media.www.ndsmcobserver.com/media/storage/paper660/news/2004/11/12/IrishInsider/Ryan-Grant.Picking.Up.Where.He.Left.Off-803467.shtml

On the eve of the ND/Michigan game, here's a picture of our newly acquired RB.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
BallHawk, I'm not afraid to express MY opinion: you should curse more.

Bulldog, put that 8-year-old on for a minute, Uncle Harlan has some advice to share.

If I had an 8 year old boy, I'm not sure I would let him near you :)

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep07/tgrant0913.jpg

For what it's worth, the guy looks more physical than anyone we have. We'll have to see him run, but the guy isn't going to fail becuase he's not strong enough or fast enough. He's got measurables and he looks to be in tip top shape. I'm very curious to see him play.

As far as Wynn goes, I think he could be a really good player for us after and off season of strength and conditioning.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 08:48 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/sep07/tgrant0913.jpg

For what it's worth, the guy looks more physical than anyone we have. We'll have to see him run, but the guy isn't going to fail becuase he's not strong enough or fast enough. He's got measurables and he looks to be in tip top shape. I'm very curious to see him play.

As far as Wynn goes, I think he could be a really good player for us after and off season of strength and conditioning.

With Reuben in the doghouse, why did the Giants trade the guy for a 6th?

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Good question. Atlanta traded Favre for a first. Seattle traded A. Green for an average DB.

I don't know the answer, but I'm very curious to see him run. He's big, fast and smart. Does he know how to tote the rock? That is the big question right now. I guess we'll find out.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Good question. Atlanta traded Favre for a first. Seattle traded A. Green for an average DB.

I don't know the answer, but I'm very curious to see him run. He's big, fast and smart. Does he know how to tote the rock? That is the big question right now. I guess we'll find out.

Sounds like he'll get a few carries then? Should be interesting to see what he can do.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey, I'm not sure of anything yet :). I've never even seen the guy run the ball. He's got intriguing skills. He was a 4.0 student at ND. I wonder if his school took precident sometimes and now that he's really focused on football, he's reaching his potential.

YOu never know. I just want to see him run becuase I don't like Jackson/Wynn yet. They might be OK next year and beyond but I don't have much confidnece in those two right now. Maybe I'm just being hopefull.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Is Reuben in the doghouse or did they just have others RBs that they like more than him? Serious question. Ward looked like he had some talent in that last game. Bradshaw and Grant both had very good preseasons. For what it's worth, Grant was going to make the team--as the FIFTH HB. They must have liked him a bit--like the extra DL and CBs making the Packers despite it being a position overload. We'll see. Hard to judge a guy you've never seen play before.

Personally, I still think it all depends on the OL. If they block, they'll find a RB or two among this group who can get yards.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Is Reuben in the doghouse or did they just have others RBs that they like more than him? Serious question. Ward looked like he had some talent in that last game. Bradshaw and Grant both had very good preseasons. For what it's worth, Grant was going to make the team--as the FIFTH HB. They must have liked him a bit--like the extra DL and CBs making the Packers despite it being a position overload. We'll see. Hard to judge a guy you've never seen play before.

Personally, I still think it all depends on the OL. If they block, they'll find a RB or two among this group who can get yards.

Truth be told, I think they liked the guys in front of him. And I agree on the OL thing. Big holes == yards for almost any back.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 04:17 AM

The way this off season,TC and now, start of the season have gone, might have drawn up a ton of cursing but it hasn't gotten to that.

I believe that the fact that we have prominant Ladies here and some younger Packer fans with solid manners is largely responsible for the exemplary conduct on behalf of posters generally.

Which RB will evolve to offer some pride in our running game amongst the ones we have at present?

We don't have enough information and NFL experience looking at our RB's as a whole to answer that question objectively.

I just hope that whoever evolves also knows as a first requirement what emphasis and success is necessary from not missing a blocking asignment or Brett Favre is not going to last much longer. It is just unbelievable (sickening) to me that he suffered 5 sacks against the Eagles and another Houdini escape fr. a sixth.

If Favre goes down because of a missed block then I promise this forum that it will take all my strength not to exclaim in filth. :)

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 04:22 AM

That's right. It's hard for a RB to gain yards straight ahead if a man 70 pounds heavier than him is getting shoved under his chin.

esoxx
09-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I have a gut feeling that Ryan Grant turns out to be the saving grace of the Packers run game this year.

Get ready to be pleasantly surprised. 8-)

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
the guy that's shown the most is Morency, and he's a distant last in the poll.

I think this poll is measuring wishful thinking.

RashanGary
09-15-2007, 10:48 PM
the guy that's shown the most is Morency, and he's a distant last in the poll.

He seems feeble.

He was a 3rd down back last year too. He racked up yards on unsuspecting defense. I don't trust him carrying the ball on 1st and 2nd. Him and Jackson are similar players. Both are good situational guys. Wynn/Grant seem more like the typical #1 backs (assuming either lives up to the most optimistic hype)

It's not a good situation. I think it's understandable that people doubt Morency, esspecially after the injury that everyone was worried about before it even happened.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2007, 10:52 PM
He seems feeble.

Maybe. I read last spring that he put on some weight in anticipation of being a featured back.

the situation is simply messed up.

Morency and Wynn gone all preseason. All the wasted carries on Heron this summer.

Only good news is we still got 4 rolls of the dice left.

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Only good news is we still got 4 rolls of the dice left.

This is exactly how I look at it. I just keep hoping one guy steps up.

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 08:25 AM
double post. tried to edit

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
double post. tried to edit

Gosh I too am having a terrible time debating on these running backs.
Today in fantasy football I'm trying to get a gut for who will have more yardage, Derrick Ward from the Giants or Brandon Jackson from GB and I don't have much of an idea which way to go. To boot I just picked up Patrick Crayton from Dallas and since it's a Flex I might go his way as well.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 09:18 AM

Yeah, life was so much better when this was your fourm. :bs:

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 10:26 AM
It's a joke. Nice attempt to insert some ugliness. back to your old tricks.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Harlan wants his red jersey back.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't see a discussion forum as a test of manhood.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't see a discussion forum as a test of manhood.

LOL Well neither do I Harlan.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
ok, well I suggest we design a Festivus-like competition outside the forum to settle our longstandng differences.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 11:11 AM
ok, well I suggest we design a Festivus-like competition outside the forum to settle our longstandng differences.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds fun. Be gentle, I'm a virgin.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 11:32 AM
There will be an an "airing of grievances" dinner,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Festivus_airing_of_greivances_screenshot.png

followed by a "feats of strength" where an attempt is made to pin the head of the household.