PDA

View Full Version : Players to Watch Next Year - NFL Wide

Partial
05-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Who is poised to make a huge jump in performance this upcoming year? I will start things off with a Packer :)

Nick Collins - Safety, GB
Has everything you want from a perennial pro-bowl safety in a league that is continually shifting from toughness to speed and finess

Byron Leftwich - Quarterback, Jax
If he could only stay healthy, he'd be really great. He is one tough mofo. I've never seen a man stand in the pockets and take the hits like he does. I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing, but it is what it is. He will be a pro-bowler next year. Marcedes Lewis is underrated and will contribute as a rookie.

Derek Johnson - OLB, KC
Very, very good player at outside linebacker. Took a year to learn the system and the speed of the game. This year he will be a candidate for defensive player of the year. If only they had some good players around him.

Odell Thurman - MLB, CIN
Tough mofo but dumb as a box of rocks. He let his instincts for the game guide him last year. Now that he will have a great feel for how the system works, his game will go to the next level. He is this generations Ray Lewis. How this guy went to the second round in the world's biggest mystery (just ask Bretsky)

Phillip Rivers - QB, SD
San Diego has to know something we don't. You do not let a pro-bowl QB walk. Simple as that. This kid obviously has shown plenty in practice or Brees would still be the starter. I think he has a big year. I don't know why, I just think he does.

Partial
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
I am tempted to add Ahmad Carroll to the list. He will be 22 now and in his third year. I think he is going to realize the best way to make money in the league is longevity. The best way to do that is workout with the team and be a team player. I think he becomes one of the premier nickelbacks in the league next year, and is a starter by 2007-2008 at one of the two corner spots.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Good thread. Don't add Ahmad Carroll.

I'll add a couple of more:

CB Antrel Rolle
LB Thomas Davis
LB David Pollack
WR Braylon Edwards

FYI - It's Derrick Johnson.

RashanGary
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I liked Carroll to make a big step as well but after his run in with the law I wonder if he's one of those guys who is not taking his oppertunity seriously.

He was horrible in his first year. He was a ton better last year but still below average IMO. I was thinking he could be an average starter in his 3rd year which would have been pretty impressive considering where he started. I don't know if that is going to happen anymore and Thompson has been quoted as looking for good ball skills in his DB's. That makes me think they're not too high on Carroll. *big surprise*

Murphy37
05-04-2006, 03:54 PM
The whole Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees thing is puzzling to me also. I'm gonna take the opposite stance. I say this deal comes back to bite them in the rectum. The fans in San Diego must be pulling the hair outta their heads. Brees has been very good the last two years in a very tough AFC. He also seems to have a very solid attitude. What more do you want from a guy? Rivers must have shit that smells like roses and fresh baked chocholate chip cookies. If the SanDiego brass is right on this gamble, more power to em'. I'm leaning the other direction.

Partial
05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't think they would have done it unless they knew they would come out ahead. It is suicide for a team to take a risk like that. I mean look at how much the Randy Moss trade is criticized today. It will be like that if it doesn't work out. Dumb Dumb Dumb move either way. They should have kept him and traded him for something atleast!!

oregonpackfan
05-04-2006, 07:01 PM
The whole Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees thing is puzzling to me also. I'm gonna take the opposite stance. I say this deal comes back to bite them in the rectum. The fans in San Diego must be pulling the hair outta their heads. Brees has been very good the last two years in a very tough AFC. He also seems to have a very solid attitude. What more do you want from a guy? Rivers must have shit that smells like roses and fresh baked chocholate chip cookies. If the SanDiego brass is right on this gamble, more power to em'. I'm leaning the other direction.

Murphy,

I have to agree with you about my surprise with the Chargers letting Brees to the Saints. I have been very impressed with Brees since he was with Purdue. He is a quality QB.

Oregonpackfan

GoPackGo
05-04-2006, 08:11 PM

CB Antrel Rolle
LB Thomas Davis
LB David Pollack
WR Braylon Edwards

I heard Antrell Rolle might be looking at more surgery

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2006, 07:17 AM

CB Antrel Rolle
LB Thomas Davis
LB David Pollack
WR Braylon Edwards

I heard Antrell Rolle might be looking at more surgery

Routine artho surgery though. Players rebound in 2-3 weeks nowadays from that. I like the Cards this year, but they need Rolle in there.

Guiness
05-05-2006, 09:43 AM
The Brees thing is weird, no two ways about it.

It reminds me of what the Bills did with Flutie and Johnson a few years back. Flutie was the starter, and playing not too badly, but apparently Johnson was tearing it up in practice.

They put Johnson in for the final (meaningless) game of the season, and he played very well. That was all the excuse the Bills coach (Wade Phillips, I think) needed. He started Johnson in the playoff game, and let Flutie go in the offseason!

Flutie at that point in his career was no Brees, but Johnson didn't exactly light 'em up after being handed the starting job.

At least the Bills had someone with a couple of starts under his belt when they released the incumbent starter. That's what makes NO's decision so much stupider - they let a Pro Bowler get away, and have a question mark left!

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I have to agree with Derrick Johnson, he is going to be awesome.

I think I will go with a reciever,

Larry Fitzgerald from Arizona, he already had a great rookie year, and with a healthy Kurt Warner(hee hee) or a NFL ready Leinart throwing him passes, he will have 95 catches for 1400 yards adn 12 touchdowns.

Look for a Lamont Jordan to have a big year in Oakland.

And also look for the the New York Manning to have a pro bowl year based on numbers and not his name.

Tarlam!
05-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I hope you're wrong about Manning - I have this hate thing going for him since he was drafted and acted like a wuss.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Larry Fitzgerald from Arizona, he already had a great rookie year, and with a healthy Kurt Warner(hee hee) or a NFL ready Leinart throwing him passes, he will have 95 catches for 1400 yards adn 12 touchdowns.

Nutz, Fitzgerald's in his third year, and he had 102 catches for 1409 yards, and 10 TDs last year. This would have been a great prediction if it was made a year ago.
:D

Charles Woodson
05-05-2006, 03:30 PM
I hope you're wrong about Manning - I have this hate thing going for him since he was drafted and acted like a wuss.

I agree big time.

Also I am going to make a big prediction and say the Cardinals make the playoffs

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
I am tempted to add Ahmad Carroll to the list. He will be 22 now and in his third year. I think he is going to realize the best way to make money in the league is longevity. The best way to do that is workout with the team and be a team player. I think he becomes one of the premier nickelbacks in the league next year, and is a starter by 2007-2008 at one of the two corner spots.

:lol:

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Phillip Rivers - QB, SD
San Diego has to know something we don't. You do not let a pro-bowl QB walk. Simple as that. This kid obviously has shown plenty in practice or Brees would still be the starter.

Interesting.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Phillip Rivers - QB, SD
San Diego has to know something we don't. You do not let a pro-bowl QB walk. Simple as that. This kid obviously has shown plenty in practice or Brees would still be the starter.

Interesting.

That's awesome.

Zool
08-18-2008, 02:58 PM

CB Antrel Rolle
LB Thomas Davis
LB David Pollack
WR Braylon Edwards

Harv might just know what he's talking about.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 03:00 PM

CB Antrel Rolle
LB Thomas Davis
LB David Pollack
WR Braylon Edwards

Harv might just know what he's talking about.

Not really. Edwards is sweet. Pollack got injured. Rolle and Davis are okay, but neither have broken out like you'd expect a top pick to break out. I'm disappointed in my predictions here. I did keep him from adding Carroll though.

Zool
08-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Pollack is supposed to break through past the injuries finally. There's lots of teams who would take Rolle as a starter. Davis is OK, and Edwards is a bonifide stud. You're prolly 2/4 on first round picks. I'm guessing lots of NFL GM's would like a 50% success rate.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Pollack is supposed to break through past the injuries finally. There's lots of teams who would take Rolle as a starter. Davis is OK, and Edwards is a bonifide stud. You're prolly 2/4 on first round picks. I'm guessing lots of NFL GM's would like a 50% success rate.

Really? Is he coming out of retirement? :oops:

Rolle: Agreed, but not at CB where he was drafted to play, so that makes him a disappointment.

RashanGary
08-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Phillip Rivers - QB, SD

Interesting.

That's awesome.

lmfao :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Phillip Rivers - QB, SD

Interesting.

That's awesome.

The irony is stultifying. :lol:

Zool
08-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Rolle: Agreed, but not at CB where he was drafted to play, so that makes him a disappointment.

I totally missed this. I remember some chatter about him making his comeback.

"On April 22, 2008 Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis announced that Pollack was "not completely comfortable where he [was] medically" and that he expected to retire.[2]"

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 05:09 PM

I totally missed this. I remember some chatter about him making his comeback.

"On April 22, 2008 Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis announced that Pollack was "not completely comfortable where he [was] medically" and that he expected to retire.[2]"

That is 3 for me in about a week.

Slowly you are falling under my power. Smoke the rock..smoke the rock. :wink:

RashanGary
08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Phillip Rivers - QB, SD

Interesting.

That's awesome.

It's acctually a very good prediction with sound reasoning. It's a perfect example of how differently we think when we take baseless emotion out of the equation.

gex
08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Phillip Rivers - QB, SD

Interesting.

That's awesome.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 1 for each

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
It's acctually a very good prediction with sound reasoning. It's a perfect example of how differently we think when we take baseless emotion out of the equation.

I agree. I just want to be there when Partial's head explodes trying to explain the difference tween the two situations. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Can't expect more from you. Don't think you even understand the concept of irony.

RashanGary
08-18-2008, 05:17 PM

Can't expect more from you. Don't think you even understand the concept of irony.

:lol: Normally it's not funny because it's just usually a sarcastic insult, but in this case I think it's just brutally honest and very funny.

gex
08-18-2008, 05:29 PM

It was for the fact that 4 posters (who have made their dislike for Favre well known)in a row, quote each other just to PUT DOWN another poster.

SAD

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
It was for the fact that 4 posters (who have made their dislike for Favre well known)in a row, quote each other just to PUT DOWN another poster.

SAD

What insults are you speaking of?

RashanGary
08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I thought the only insult here was the guy rolling his eyes at other posters. Tyrones case was just honesty, not insult although I guess it could be both.

TravisWilliams23
08-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I actually hope Partial is correct in this matter.

Breeze went to NO and took them deep into the playoffs. Rivers developed into a pretty good qb. If that happens in Green Bays case, the Packers get a higher draft pick for Favre and Rodgers develops into a top notch qb.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 06:03 PM

Breeze went to NO and took them deep into the playoffs. Rivers developed into a pretty good qb. If that happens in Green Bays case, the Packers get a higher draft pick for Favre and Rodgers develops into a top notch qb.

Is Rivers really a top notch QB in this league.. boy I sure hope not or the standards for QB's has dropped a lot in the past decade

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 06:06 PM

Is Rivers really a top notch QB in this league.. boy I sure hope not or the standards for QB's has dropped a lot in the past decade

He got his team just as far as Brett did.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 06:08 PM

He got his team just as far as Brett did.

That's not what I was saying one bit... Eli Manning won it and he can't hold Brady or Favre's jock... I'm sayin that River nor Manning should be in the top tier of QB's in this league..

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:23 PM

SAD

What is sad is that you can't figure out that they aren't putting down another poster.

THey are just merely pointing out the hypocrisy of his statements. Has nothing to do with Favre.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM

He is about as top notch as you are as a poster. If you could read and comprehend you might find others less inclined to combat you.

The poster said, "pretty good QB"...and, he certainly is that.

gex
08-18-2008, 06:35 PM

SAD

What is sad is that you can't figure out that they aren't putting down another poster.

THey are just merely pointing out the hypocrisy of his statements. Has nothing to do with Favre.

Me no understand,Tyrone, please explain.

Bretsky
ROBERT MEACHEM will greatly improve this year

Take it to the Bank

Pacopete4

He is about as top notch as you are as a poster. If you could read and comprehend you might find others less inclined to combat you.

So I'm a pretty good poster?... thanks Ty :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:37 PM

So I'm a pretty good poster?... thanks Ty :wink:

Sure you are...but, the standards for pretty good posters has declined quite a bit in the last month or so...basically when you started posting.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:39 PM

SAD

In order for that joke to work it has to be substantially different from the rest of your posts.

I see no difference.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:39 PM
ROBERT MEACHEM will greatly improve this year

Take it to the Bank

If he gets on the field that is great improvement. Not setting the bar high. :wink:

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Pacopete4 wrote:
Tyrone Bigguns wrote:
Pacopete4 wrote:
TravisWilliams23 wrote:

So I'm a pretty good poster?... thanks Ty Wink

Sure you are...but, the standards for pretty good posters has declined quite a bit in the last month or so...basically when you started posting.

I'm almost positive I started posting in 2005.. sorry to disappoint

again with the personal attacks though.. its very classy!... Maybe this is the reason the forums have went down hill because someone else cannot say something that does not suit you?... just a thought

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

again with the personal attacks though.. its very classy!... Maybe this is the reason the forums have went down hill because someone else cannot say something that does not suit you?... just a thought

Since 05..geez, so you have been making stupid posts since then? One would hope you woulda improved by now.

Class: Pot, meet kettle.

No, the forums are going downhill because douchebags like you can't stop trying to take pot shots at arod, like your last attempt or bringing it into other forums like the brewers, and continue to whine and bring down the forum because favre aint' on the team.

Grow up. Favre is gone.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Since 05..geez, so you have been making stupid posts since then? One would hope you woulda improved by now.

No, the forums are going downhill because douchebags like you can't stop trying to take pot shots at arod, like your last attempt or bringing it into other forums like the brewers, and continue to whine and bring down the forum because favre aint' on the team.

Grow up. Favre is gone.

What did you just do? Oh, brought up Favre... K.

I made one factual statement in the Brewers forum about Favre after he was already brought up... no need to try to be a know it all

gex
08-18-2008, 06:48 PM

SAD

In order for that joke to work it has to be substantially different from the rest of your posts.

I see no difference.

No, really,
Please explain in detail( pretend I was a conservative) what the hypocrisy was and how exactly its going to come back to haunt Partial?
I know you can break it down good sir, for us simpiltons.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 07:01 PM

Grow up. Favre is gone.

I made one factual statement in the Brewers forum about Favre after he was already brought up... no need to try to be a know it all

Favre: Are you kidding me? You brought him up...into the discussion of Rivers. You bring him up all the time.

Guess you don't wanna talk about your potshots at Arod though. :roll:

Brewers forum: Right. The posters were talking about the brewers...you didn't contribute to that at all. NOT ONE POST ABOUT THE BREWERS IN THAT THREAD.
Harv made a post that the crew hadn't lost since favre was traded...and boom, you gotta come out with "wish it could be the same for the packers." kinda bs. You take an innocuous statement and turn it into another favre whinefest.

It is the fucking pre season and you are whining.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
No, really,
Please explain in detail( pretend I was a conservative) what the hypocrisy was and how exactly its going to come back to haunt Partial?
I know you can break it down good sir, for us simpiltons.

First, don't bring politics into it.

Here is partial's statement

Phillip Rivers - QB, SD

Now, let's insert Arod into that equation..because it is the same situation (of course, not exactly, but pretty darn close)

Aaron Rodgers - QB, GB
Green Bay has to know something we don't. You do not let a pro-bowl QB walk. Simple as that. This kid obviously has shown plenty in practice or Favre would still be the starter.

Get it. It is hypocritical to use that type of logic on Rivers but not Arod.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 07:06 PM

Grow up. Favre is gone.

Favre: Are you kidding me? You brought him up...into the discussion of Rivers. You bring him up all the time.

Guess you don't wanna talk about your potshots at Arod though. :roll:

Brewers forum: Right. The posters were talking about the brewers...you didn't contribute to that at all. NOT ONE POST ABOUT THE BREWERS IN THAT THREAD.
Harv made a post that the crew hadn't lost since favre was traded...and boom, you gotta come out with "wish it could be the same for the packers." kinda bs. You take an innocuous statement and turn it into another favre whinefest.

It is the fucking pre season and you are whining.

It is a true statement isn't it?... The whinefest was not for Brett but more for the Packers because I want to see them win no matter if its preseason or not... but instead you took it as I want Brett back and are tryin to turn it into that...

I don't think I've made any bad remarks about Arod the person. About his football play, yes.. TT definetley, he is a snake.. but Arod, no..

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
You can pretend that it isn't about Favre, but you and everybody else knows it is.

As for Arod...hmm, you just posted about his character/lack thereof..for not talking with the fans after the game.

You just make it too easy.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 07:22 PM
You can pretend that it isn't about Favre, but you and everybody else knows it is.

As for Arod...hmm, you just posted about his character/lack thereof..for not talking with the fans after the game.

Thats no shot at him.. its the truth once again..

He can't give his 10 mins of time for his home state people?.. I think its very sad as do a few others I can imagine.. but you back your boy up, its cool

Partial
08-18-2008, 07:30 PM

I agree. I just want to be there when Partial's head explodes trying to explain the difference tween the two situations. :lol:

Gladly.

At that point, Brees had one good year, and one average year. He was nowhere near the 2nd most valuable player in the league. With that said, they drafted Phil essentially #1 after the trade. Quite a bit different than 24, don't you think?

Phil Rivers is an ok quarterback. It helps to have the most athletic tight end ever and the best running back ever. He's borderline pro-bowl, and borderline top 8 in the NFL. We'll be fine if A-Rod can emulate his success.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Thats no shot at him.. its the truth once again..

He can't give his 10 mins of time for his home state people?.. I think its very sad as do a few others I can imagine.. but you back your boy up, its cool

Truth: It is one person's account of what happened. That ain't truth.

He has given autographs many other times. I guess every athlete has this flaw since I guarantee you that they don't autograph everytime.

And, not signing autographs isn't a character flaw.

But, more importantly, you said you didn't attack him personally..now you have just been caught in a lie.

And, lying is definitely a stain on your character.

HarveyWallbangers
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM

SAD

Waiting for a response.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 07:45 PM

SAD

Waiting for a response.

I think he is talking about these 4 people as Favre haters and that they put down other posters who disagree with what they think is correct...

Tyrone Bigguns, JustinHarrell, HarveyWallbangers,Chevelle2

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 07:48 PM

Gladly.

At that point, Brees had one good year, and one average year. He was nowhere near the 2nd most valuable player in the league. With that said, they drafted Phil essentially #1 after the trade. Quite a bit different than 24, don't you think?

Phil Rivers is an ok quarterback. It helps to have the most athletic tight end ever and the best running back ever. He's borderline pro-bowl, and borderline top 8 in the NFL. We'll be fine if A-Rod can emulate his success.

It would be nice if you could actually get your facts straight.

1: Brees had been in SD for 5 years before trading him.
2: He started 16 his second year with 60 percent completion rate.
3: He had a crappy year in 03, followed by a pro bowl and then another solid season..64%, 24 tds, etc. THAT IS 4 YEARS OF STARTING.

Interesting that a certain older Qb was crappy and then also pro bowl.

4: Rivers wasn't drafted after the trade. He sat for 2 years behind brees...hmm, kinda like another QB.
5: Brees..ok? LOL I guess if 2 pro bowls and one all pro in the past 4 years is Ok..then our standards are off the charts.
6: rivers..hm, helped by TE and RB..funny, isn't that what we are saying about Favre..he sucked cause he had no weapons, but once he got them he was good again. :oops:
7: Borderline pro bowl for rivers. Mite wanna talk with the pro bowl..as they had him in the game 2 years ago.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 07:49 PM

SAD

Waiting for a response.

I think he is talking about these 4 people as Favre haters and that they put down other posters who disagree with what they think is correct...

Find one post where I hate on Favre. This ought to be good.

Nobody has EVER accused me of that. If anything i've long been accused of being a Favre apologist.

GBRulz
08-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Harvey doesn't hate Favre. Heck, he made me drive by his house last year to stalk the man :lol: Tyrone is just our forum know-it-all, but not a Favre hater.

The other two..well, I'll give you half points for your answer.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 07:56 PM

Harvey doesn't hate Favre. Heck, he made me drive by his house last year to stalk the man :lol: Tyrone is just a know it all, not a Favre hater.

I was just guessing.. I don't think Harv is a Favre hater either, I think he just feels it was time for a change in some ways

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 07:57 PM

Harvey doesn't hate Favre. Heck, he made me drive by his house last year to stalk the man :lol: Tyrone is just a know it all, not a Favre hater.

I was just guessing.. I don't think Harv is a Favre hater either, I think he just feels it was time for a change in some ways

Id like to defend myself. I think Favre is a top 3 QB ever, I too, think it was time for a change.

Pacopete4
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Id like to defend myself. I think Favre is a top 3 QB ever, I too, think it was time for a change.

Alrighty... noted that you are not a hater... I was just going on what I figured he meant by it is all..

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Alrighty... noted that you are not a hater... I was just going on what I figured he meant by it is all..

No problem.

Tyrone Bigguns
08-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Harvey doesn't hate Favre. Heck, he made me drive by his house last year to stalk the man :lol: Tyrone is just our forum know-it-all, but not a Favre hater.

I've never been so hurt having my name cleared. :cry:

GBRulz
08-18-2008, 08:05 PM

You constantly throw him under the bus and start taunting threads. I would hate to see it when you actually disliked somebody.

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

You constantly throw him under the bus and start taunting threads. I would hate to see it when you actually disliked somebody.

Jarrett Bush. I don't talk about them.

GBRulz
08-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Well ok...maybe there is some hope for you, after all. :wink:

Chevelle2
08-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Well ok...maybe there is some hope for you, after all. :wink:

FWIW - My basement is filled with Favre memorabilia, so know, I dont hate him.