PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning WILL start on Sunday

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Per NFL.com

After being cautious this week with his injured right throwing shoulder during practices, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning will start Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said Manning looked capable in practice Friday.

"He seemed to throw the ball pretty good," he said. "But that is not for me to judge. That’s for others. If you really watch closely, he did the smart thing. He loosened up pretty good and started to get into the velocity throws a little bit later on."

Manning sprained his shoulder in Sunday night's 45-35 loss at Dallas when he was hit by linebacker Anthony Spencer on a failed two-point conversion attempt in the fourth quarter. Jacobs sprained his right knee in the first half and is considered week-to-week.

"I'm improving, but I still have some work to do," Manning said Thursday. "I know my body better than anybody. We'll just make a decision in the next couple of days. Hopefully, I can keep improving and get better. If I feel I can make all of the throws and help out this team and put us in a situation to win, then I will play."

Manning said he was mystified by initial media reports that he would be out for a month.

"I was surprised when I heard that, because I knew it wasn't going to be that long," he said.[/b]

Merlin
09-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Eli nor Payton scare me. The Giants receivers don't scare me. The Colts receivers do. Eli or no Eli, it just means that he will be easier to sack the ol' Mr. 285#'s is.

FritzDontBlitz
09-14-2007, 06:24 PM
they're bluffing. i expect a game day decision to sit him.

or, they rush him back to get their first win and makes the shoulder even worse. cant get much better if cullen jenkins is sitting on it, can it?

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 06:30 PM
they're bluffing. i expect a game day decision to sit him.

Agreed. The Packers will be preparing for the Pillsbury Throwboy.

Jimx29
09-14-2007, 06:50 PM
He won't play simply cause if he does and gets sacked (which is gonna happen) and effs up the shoulder worse, Coughlins arse is grass for playing him.

LEWCWA
09-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I think he'll play. Those Manning kids are some tough cookies! Must be Mississippi water!

MadtownPacker
09-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Best news Ive heard today! Bring on lil Manning!

The Shadow
09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Bring him on!
If we win against the backup, many will claim we're still not for real.
To be the best you've got to take on challenges.

mission
09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
i want him to play too... well, for the first quarter until he's getting the shit kicked out of him.

i just have a really good feeling about sunday... :gulp:

:D

gbpackfan
09-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Rotoworld.com now reports....

Despite reporting earlier Friday that Eli Manning would start on Sunday, NFL Network's Adam Schefter now reports he will be a game-time decision.

ESPN's John Clayton reported today that he didn't think Eli would play. If you own Manning, plan on not having him and check back around game time on Sunday to find out his status.
Source: nfl.com

So who the hell knows what is going on. I'll guess we'll see come Sunday.

esoxx
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't believe for a moment Manning will start or even suit up. Gamesmanship on Coughlin's part.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
If Manning starts, I hope they go after him. Knock him down, hopefully knock him on hsi shoulder. He shouldn't be in there. Make them regret it if they gamble.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 08:29 PM
If Manning starts, I hope they go after him. Knock him down, hopefully knock him on hsi shoulder. He shouldn't be in there. Make them regret it if they gamble.

Like when a guy plays with a damaged thumb? Knock him down, land on his hand...etc etc etc..... :wink:

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Like when a guy plays with a damaged thumb? Knock him down, land on his hand...etc etc etc..... :wink:

If they can get him. They haven't been able to in 16 years :shock:

Rastak
09-14-2007, 08:38 PM

If they can get him. They haven't been able to in 16 years :shock:

That's a fact.

Joemailman
09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
If Manning does play, look for New York to keep in extra blockers to protect him. Possibly a lot of 2 TE sets with Shockey going out for passes while the other TE stays in to block. Controlling Shockey could be a big key.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:53 PM
I want them to bring Hawk and/or Poppinga at Manning. All of our LB's seem to have bad intentions on game day. I think any/all of them would try to tackle Manning in a way that puts his health at risk. Damn, I love our defense. I can't wait for Adrian Peterson's collar bone :)

Rastak
09-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I want them to bring Hawk and/or Poppinga at Manning. All of our LB's seem to have bad intentions on game day. I think any/all of them would try to tackle Manning in a way that puts his health at risk. Damn, I love our defense. I can't wait for Adrian Peterson's collar bone :)

I'm sure they'll find it interesting as it runs by them.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Or as they snap it :twisted:

Rastak
09-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Maybe Fat Pat lands on Favres knee and tears his acl....what's up with you and injuries?

:shock:

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Alright, let's save this distaste for the Bears. I hope the best for the Vikings except on Packer week. Peterson is a stud. Sorry, Ras, I consider him a threat so I hope the worst for him on Packer/Viking day.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Alright, let's save this distaste for the Bears. I hope the best for the Vikings except on Packer week. Peterson is a stud. Sorry, Ras, I consider him a threat so I hope the worst for him on Packer/Viking day.

Hey I don't mind....it's natural. It's bad karma to wish injury on the opponents that's all. Shoot, I felt bad when Michael Irvin damn near broke his neck. I can't stand that idiot, but I felt bad.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't want anyone to hurt their neck. I hate seeing borderline players go out and end their careers before they start. Gusy like Manning or Peterson are going to make money in this league. I don't mind a broken collar bone on Peterson or a little shoulder damage on Manning. I acctually want our guys to attempt to hurt other players. Even if you don't succeed, guys are a little more tentative if they get nearly killed on a couple plays early in the game.

Like I said, life changing injuries bother me but good old fashioned painfull football injuries should be part of a defenses unconcious goals even if htey are not stated. If you don't play to hurt on Sunday, you shouldn't be playing defense.

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Seriously JH, don't hope for people to get hurt. The worst you can ever really justifiably hope for is a guy is knocked out of the game against you, but suffers no permanent ill effects. I mean, shouldn't the Everett situation convinced us that all of these guys are inches away from injuries that are not just career threatening but life threatening, so we before we hope for a win or a loss out of a game we should first hope that nobody is grievously injured or killed?

Tease a fan about an injury after it happens and after you know the guy's going to be okay eventually. Don't tease a fan about how your guy wants to cripple his guy, since I honestly doubt that many players want that.

I'm sure our linebackers would prefer to nail Peterson with a wicked hit as he goes across the middle for a pass, make him see stars and put fear into his heart and hesitation into his mind, but make sure he gets up afterwards or at the very least make sure can walk over to his Mom and give her a hug after the game. On defense you want the other guy to be playing scared of you, not "sitting on the bench because you maimed him previously."

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Look, I don't want permanent injury. I want healable football injuries. I've always hoped for our guys to hurt their guys. Again, I don't want anyone hurt permanently or their NFL careers to be cut short but I want our guys to hurt their guys and 4 week injuries or broken bones are my favorite because they don't have long lasting effects but they scare the shit out of the opponent.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
As far as Manning goes, he'll play again. If he suits up, you are not doing everything to win if you don't go after him and let him know that his arm is not safe. If they knock him out, even better. He'll be fine.

If they broke his neck, I'd probably shed a tear and feel horrible but if they reaggrivate teh shoulder tear and put him out for 4 weeks I'm excited becuase if gives us a better chance to win and it scares the next guy.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 09:29 PM
NEVER root for a player on another team to get hurt. It only brings bad karma to your team--which is probably why we are down a starting RB, starting WR, and starting TE.

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 09:57 PM
If we're going to waste our time wishing injury on people we don't know, how about we worry about Osama Bin-Laden, King Jong-Il, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad instead of Adrian Peterson?

I think Adrian's a much nicer person and he probably doesn't bear you any ill will.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 10:11 PM
If we're going to waste our time wishing injury on people we don't know, how about we worry about Osama Bin-Laden, King Jong-Il, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad instead of Adrian Peterson?

I think Adrian's a much nicer person and he probably doesn't bear you any ill wil.

I like the three you mentioned....to get injured that is....

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Defense is about hurting people and having bad intentions. If a guy is affraid of injury he'll drop balls or throw bad passes. I'm all about hurting guys. If a defense isn't knocking a few guys out every year, they are not a dominate defense and tehy will not scare anyone. You have to give concussions, break bones and put guys in awkward positions that causes injury. It is what it is. If you don't like it, you should probably find another sport because the great defenses have alwyas had bad intentions and have always hurt the opposition. There is no room in good defense for the Sharper courtesy push. This defense is mean and I love it. The way Hawk was punching that guys forearm in teh preseason to get the ball out, the way Barnett always hits instead of pushes on a blown up pass, the way Collins lights guys up, the aggressiveness and ill temper that Poppinga plays with, the nastyness of Kampman always knocking a QB down when he has the chance just after a completed pass. That's what it's all about.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Defense is about hurting people and having bad intentions. If a guy is affraid of injury he'll drop balls or throw bad passes. I'm all about hurting guys. If a defense isn't knocking a few guys out every year, they are not a dominate defense and tehy will not scare anyone. You have to give concussions, break bones and put guys in awkward positions that causes injury. It is what it is. If you don't like it, you should probably find another sport because the great defenses have alwyas had bad intentions and have always hurt the opposition. There is no room in good defense for the Sharper courtesy push.

First off, these guys don't fear a damn thing. Maybe wide outs over the middle after they get blasted ate the exception I think . Injuries do not scare anybody from what I see. One guy goes down, the other don't cringe. You might also consult your local nfl films on Sharper...I'm not sure if he was timid in Green Bay but he's been laying out solid hits in Minnesota. I'm serious too, not just talking the usual bullshit smack.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Guys do get scared. If a QB gets knocked around, he has happy feet and is not accurate for a few plays. If a RB gets blown up he's more likely to drop a pass on the next couple plays. A WR that gets lit up is almost sure to drop his next pass.

I see guys get lit and I know they are going to screw up. Tough defense gets in teams heads. Sometimes a big hit or a big sack on 1st down stops the offense from excecuting on 3rd down becuase of a drop where a guy hears footsteps or a QB with happy feet.

I don't beleive in just stopping the offense. I believe in hurting them and making them scared and yes, I believe they play worse after getting hit in the 1st quarter. The more consistant, the more errors you can expect IMO. There is no study on it, but I really believe taht the more physical a team is on defense, the more likely the opposition is to screw up on their own because the defense is in their head.

Rastak
09-14-2007, 10:31 PM
I think hitting guys in general makes the guy that got hit a bit hesitant. I don't think it translates to other guys who weren't hit but I'd be glad to have view disputed by an NFL player because high school football (freshman only) is as far as I got. I wasn't in the least concerned with someone else getting drilled, just me.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 10:34 PM
I think hitting guys in general makes the guy that got hit a bit hesitant.

This is what I meant. It has to be consistant though.

LEWCWA
09-14-2007, 10:45 PM
Wow-thats pretty strong stuff. I don't think most players have any intentions of hurting other players, beyond the big hard hit. If you go out with the intention of hurting someone you should be in jail not on the field!

falco
09-14-2007, 10:48 PM
i always thought it was general knowledge that football players were sadistic deviants who would be in jail if they couldn't let their homicidal tendencies out on the football field :roll:

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 10:50 PM
i always thought it was general knowledge that football players were sadistic deviants who would be in jail if they couldn't let their homicidal tendencies out on the football field :roll:

If this were the case, people like Pac-Man Jones and Tank Johnson would be sentenced to more football instead of less football when they screw up.

"We're not going to suspend you, but you're going to have to play in the CFL this offseason."

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
One of my earliest memories of the NFL was 1982. Week 2. Monday Night Football. Green Bay at the Giants. The Pack was 1-0 going into the game, but everybody knew the strike was coming. They destroyed the Giants. James Lofton had a sweet 80-yard TD on a reverse. It was the first time in a long-time that the Packers seemed like a contender, but there was this gloomy feeling that it was all going to be spoiled by the strike.

The strike lasted for almost half the year. The Packers had a solid team that year. They made the playoffs. They crushed Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs. Then, they were within striking distance of the Cowboys in Texas Stadium. It was 30-26 in the 4th quarter. Packers were driving. Lynn Dickey threw an interception that was returned for a TD. Started another decade of losing until Wolf-Holmgren-Favre-White.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 01:47 AM
Rotoworld.com now reports....

Despite reporting earlier Friday that Eli Manning would start on Sunday, NFL Network's Adam Schefter now reports he will be a game-time decision.

ESPN's John Clayton reported today that he didn't think Eli would play. If you own Manning, plan on not having him and check back around game time on Sunday to find out his status.
Source: nfl.com

So who the hell knows what is going on. I'll guess we'll see come Sunday.

Comment woodbuck27:

This is where it is right now:

Adam Shef revised it to a game time decision.

Giants' Manning a game-time decision vs. Packers

NFL.com Wire Reports

After being cautious this week with his injured right throwing shoulder during practices, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning will be a game-time decision Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said Manning looked capable in practice Friday.

"He seemed to throw the ball pretty good," he said.

"But that is not for me to judge. That’s for others. If you really watch closely, he did the smart thing. He loosened up pretty good and started to get into the velocity throws a little bit later on."

Comment fr. a Giant fan:

Of course he did - Eli tooks a few snaps and threw a few balls, while Lorenzen has run with the first squad all week. This one is simple as Lorenzen gts his first start.

Putting Eli in to start would be hurting the Giants and himself.

Gotta salute Coughlin for continuing with the charade in his attempt to keep the Packers guessing.

cpk1994
09-15-2007, 03:05 AM

Maybe Fat Pat lands on Favres knee and tears his acl....what's up with you and injuries?

The only way Fat Pat gets to Favre is if Brett is holding a plate of nachos.

MadtownPacker
09-15-2007, 03:13 AM
I think I can understand what JH is saying here. I dont remember the bears worried about Favre's health in the game below. I do remember them smashing into him and wondering when they where gonna take him out of the game.
http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/NFL/Bears/favre_sacked_GI45.jpg

Him8123
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I say manning or no manning, neither QB they have is fast. Especially neither is fast enough to elude Jenkins or Kampman. Their gonna get a good tast of our D this weekend.

Scott Campbell
09-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I say manning or no manning, neither QB they have is fast. Especially neither is fast enough to elude Jenkins or Kampman. Their gonna get a good tast of our D this weekend.

Agreed. All those near misses on Donavan last week should turn into actual sacks with these slugs.

mission
09-15-2007, 09:44 AM
... and I'm gonna try to take a shot on every one, Scotty.

(i don't plan on driving)

:lol:

Rastak
09-15-2007, 09:49 AM

The only way Fat Pat gets to Favre is if Brett is holding a plate of nachos.

True, other guys will be there sooner anyway. 6 sacks last week.

MadtownPacker
09-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Cmon man, that was against Joey H. I know the purple D is good but lets see it against an actual NFL QB.

Rastak
09-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Cmon man, that was against Joey H. I know the purple D is good but lets see it against an actual NFL QB.

He is horrible.

falco
09-15-2007, 11:41 AM
the way our run game is, Minnesota's run d will force us to pass all day long...

and the way our pass protection is, I could see 6 sacks...

we need to get the run game going fast.

outflow
09-15-2007, 11:57 AM

Agreed. All those near misses on Donavan last week should turn into actual sacks with these slugs.

Right on, if its not the hefty lefty, Mannings slight mental hesitation on the downfield passes will give the D that added second.

I wouldn't be shocked to see 5-6 sacks by the Pack. I also find comfort in the fact Hawk was almost non-existent in last weeks game (they should blitz him more as I still think he is green with coverage in the breakdown passing game).

BEARMAN
09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
I think I can understand what JH is saying here. I dont remember the bears worried about Favre's health in the game below. I do remember them smashing into him and wondering when they where gonna take him out of the game.
http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/sports_photos/NFL/Bears/favre_sacked_GI45.jpg

GREAT pic of lord farve ! Tommie sure is slow this season, he never recovered from his serious injury, man what are we gonna do ? :roll:

MJZiggy
09-15-2007, 12:10 PM
... and I'm gonna try to take a shot on every one, Scotty.

(i don't plan on driving)

:lol:

Evidently you don't plan on consciousness or remembering the 4th quarter either...

packinpatland
09-15-2007, 12:26 PM

GREAT pic of lord Favre ! Tommie sure is slow this season, he never recovered from his serious injury, man what are we gonna do ? :roll:

Hey there Bearman, amazingly good, your timing is! You comment on 'lord Favre',.......................but where you been? Let's hear your theory on last weeks loss.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't want anyone to hurt their neck. I hate seeing borderline players go out and end their careers before they start. Gusy like Manning or Peterson are going to make money in this league. I don't mind a broken collar bone on Peterson or a little shoulder damage on Manning. I acctually want our guys to attempt to hurt other players. Even if you don't succeed, guys are a little more tentative if they get nearly killed on a couple plays early in the game.

Like I said, life changing injuries bother me but good old fashioned painfull football injuries should be part of a defenses unconcious goals even if htey are not stated. If you don't play to hurt on Sunday, you shouldn't be playing defense.

Ever hear of Karma JH?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

Do we want other teams defenses purposely going out of their collective ways otherwise to concentrate on tossing Favre on a stretcher for possibly a long or season / career ending injury?

JH you need some serious HELP. I really fear for you JH.

It's that or doom on YOU for your attitude.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Guys do get scared. If a QB gets knocked around, he has happy feet and is not accurate for a few plays. If a RB gets blown up he's more likely to drop a pass on the next couple plays. A WR that gets lit up is almost sure to drop his next pass.

I see guys get lit and I know they are going to screw up. Tough defense gets in teams heads. Sometimes a big hit or a big sack on 1st down stops the offense from excecuting on 3rd down becuase of a drop where a guy hears footsteps or a QB with happy feet.

I don't beleive in just stopping the offense. I believe in hurting them and making them scared and yes, I believe they play worse after getting hit in the 1st quarter. The more consistant, the more errors you can expect IMO. There is no study on it, but I really believe taht the more physical a team is on defense, the more likely the opposition is to screw up on their own because the defense is in their head.

Did you get beaten up a lot growing up JH?

Answer that question to yourself.

GOD forbid that anyone like you ever gets the chance to instruct our youth.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 04:03 PM
There is high drama here.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09152007/sports/giants/comeback_kid.htm

Starting Eli Manning only two games into this season given the damage he suffered could be a huge error.

Oh well. Time tells all. :)

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Fr. the Brett Favre Web Site:

Week 2

Green Bay at NY Giants

Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers play the New York Giants on Sunday Sept. 16 at 12:00 p.m. CDT.

It is nationally televised and will be on FOX.

This will be the Packers first road game this season. Brett Favre needs only one more win to break the all time NFL win record by a starting quarterback which could happen this Sunday!

He will have an opportunity to get a little closer to Dan Marino's touchdown record too; Brett is only 7 away from the record!

Be sure to tune in and watch the Packers strive to begin the 2007 season at 2-0.

GO Pack GO!

BallHawk
09-15-2007, 08:44 PM
It is nationally televised and will be on FOX.

Be sure to tune in and watch the Packers strive to begin the 2007 season at 2-0.

GO Pack GO!

Of course, living in Florida, the game on TV, instead of the Pack, is the Bucs.

Now I have to go to a Patriots bar to watch the game. Not happy memories from the last time I went to a Pats bar. Got into a shouting match with this drunk 20-something from Boston. If I would of been a few years older he probably would of swung at me. :lol:

BEARMAN
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM

GREAT pic of lord Favre ! Tommie sure is slow this season, he never recovered from his serious injury, man what are we gonna do ? :roll:

Hey there Bearman, amazingly good, your timing is! You comment on 'lord Favre',.......................but where you been? Let's hear your theory on last weeks loss.

Didn't you watch the game, or see any of the post game reports ? Rex, well Rex was Rex, ... FOUR turnovers and Benson not coming of age yet gave us our first and only loss this season. Da BEARS "D" did what Da BEARS "D" does ! Shut down the #1 RB in all the NFL ! Kept him to 27 yards ! More importantly we lost a good SS and a DT for the season.

From what I saw, of the pack game, folks dropping passes, missing tackles, how did they win ? Cheat ? :roll: :duel:

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
That game should have been 21-3, but the Bears cheated and the refs let them get away with it.

BallHawk
09-15-2007, 09:20 PM
That game should have been 21-3, but the Bears cheated and the refs let them get away with it.

I still can't believe the refs didn't get that call. Somebody watching from the stands could of seen it.

The Shadow
09-15-2007, 09:25 PM

I'm not sure.
You ARE 0-1, however.
Winless.
Better do SOMETHING fast.