PDA

View Full Version : Do the Packers break the top 10 Power rankings with a W?

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm going to vote no. I think they'll average about 11th. I'm sure one or two will rank them in the top 10 but for the most part I think they'll be right on the brink.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Depends how the teams in the top 10 do, but I'd most likely say no.

HarveyWallbangers
09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/sigs/bh.gif

Nice! Except the Ballhawk thing.
:D

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 04:53 PM
If we blow them out 27 - 10 and our offense plays well, I could see it. If our offense plays poorly or if it's a close game, I don't see it.

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't see it happening unless the Packers win in impressive fashion against the Giants, say 28-3 or so. I'm happy to win 4-3, and the power rankings don't really matter to me.

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but who cares

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I think the polls in college and now the NFL at this early in the season are meaningless, ever heard of the Michigan Wolverines?

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 04:59 PM
I think the polls in college and now the NFL at this early in the season are meaningless, ever heard of the Michigan Wolverines?

That was before the season began. After you see teams, it gets a little more clear. The Wolverines aren't rated very highly now. That's becuase they were exposed. The Packers weren't rated very high in the off season, but now they get a chance to let their play speak instead of know nothing experts. I'd say two games is a lot more accurate of a ranking than before the season begins. Just look at UM's ranking and I think you can see how people can see them for what they are now.

MTPackerfan
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I voted No also, I don't think the people that make the power polls have that much confidence in the Pack.

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Last week was a win but all mus agree, it was far from earned. Philly paid us back for the packer playoff loss in Philly.

]{ilr]3
09-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I say, no. But if they beat the Giants and then the Chargers Top 5 Baby!

Chargers are going to be a huge challenge that I do not think the Packers will win :cry:

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 05:53 PM
{ilr]3]Chargers are going to be a huge challenge that I do not think the Packers will win :cry:

I really don't think there is one person on here that things we're going to beat the Chargers.

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 06:00 PM
I really don't think there is one person on here that things we're going to beat the Chargers.

I don't think they will beat the Chargers, but I certainly think they are capable of beating the Chargers. They'd need to put on an effort like the 1995-96 playoff victory against the defending-champion 49ers though. Long drives, turnovers, capitalization on any chance to seize the momentum, etc. I don't think this squad is likely to do that, but it's not unthinkable that they have that in them.

BallHawk
09-14-2007, 06:03 PM

I don't think they will beat the Chargers, but I certainly think they are capable of beating the Chargers. They'd need to put on an effort like the 1995-96 playoff victory against the defending-champion 49ers though. Long drives, turnovers, capitalization on any chance to seize the momentum, etc. I don't think this squad is likely to do that, but it's not unthinkable that they have that in them.

Yeah, we are "capable" of beating the Chargers. If we play like we did against Philly, though, it's going to be ugly. Teams like the Chargers don't make stupid mistakes.

When we play the Chargers, if we can stop LT, which is a BIG if, and can make Rivers pass, our chances of winning increase tremendously. We match-up extremely well against Rivers and Co.

However, if our offense doesn't show improvement this week, we have no chance.

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I think we'd win one out of ten against the Chargers. We have a VERY slight chance of winnign that game. If we do win that game, I agree that we are top 6 and probably top 2 in the NFC.

I highly doubt we're that good though. I think this team is between 4th and 7th in the NFC.

oregonpackfan
09-14-2007, 06:16 PM
It is WAY, WAY too early in the season to even think of the Packers in the top 10 Power rankings. :shock:

wist43
09-14-2007, 06:16 PM
That offense is a disaster...

They'll have a shot b/c of the defense, and the fact that the NYG defense is as inept as the Packers offense; but, you can't be considered an elite team with absolutely no offense.

When the Ravens and Steelers won their SB's... their offenses were mediocre, but they could run the ball. The Packers can't move the ball running, OR passing.

oregonpackfan
09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
{ilr]3]Chargers are going to be a huge challenge that I do not think the Packers will win :cry:

Beating the Chargers would be an upset in the same category as App. St upsetting Michigan!

Q: How do you shock a Michigan Wolverine?

A: with one AA battery! :)

packers11
09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
I Vote yes!!! Once the packers put up 30+ points this weekend, we will finally get to see this offense at work...

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 06:22 PM
That offense is a disaster...

They'll have a shot b/c of the defense, and the fact that the NYG defense is as inept as the Packers offense; but, you can't be considered an elite team with absolutely no offense.

When the Ravens and Steelers won their SB's... their offenses were mediocre, but they could run the ball. The Packers can't move the ball running, OR passing.

Top 10 isn't elite though. I think the top 10 is where great defenses with no offenses, top offenses with no defenses and good overall teams with nothing special reside. I doubt this offense is going to be good this year just becuase of how bad they played last week and how bad they ran in the preseason. That said, I think they can be a playoff team and be thought of as a top 10 team without an average offense.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 06:34 PM
I expect the PAckers to fall around 18 in the AP poll, somewhat lower in the Coaches poll. It will take a miracle to get them into a BCS bowl.

Lurker64
09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
I expect the PAckers to fall around 18 in the AP poll, somewhat lower in the Coaches poll. It will take a miracle to get them into a BCS bowl.

But do you think our offense could move the ball against the Wolverines?

b bulldog
09-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I think the sisters of the poor nuns academy could move the ball against the UM D.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 04:53 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-power-rankings.htm

NFL power rankings tie up Patriots, Colts at top

Updated 3d 7h ago

Rankings as of Sept. 11. USA TODAY's NFL power rankings will update Wednesday mornings throughout the season.

1 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS — 282 points (tie)
Notes: Randy Moss looks like the steal of the offseason after Week 1. Despite injuries (Richard Seymour), suspension (Rodney Harrison) and a controversy (were the Patriots taping Jets coaches' signals?), New England appeared as strong as advertised. (Five first-place votes)

1 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS — 282 points (tie)
Notes: The Colts' defense staged an eye-popping effort on opening night against the Saints. The knock on Indianapolis during the regular season last year was the run defense. If they can perform all season like Week 1, there will be few holes on this team. (Three first-place votes)

3 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS — 272 points
Notes: Minus LaDainian Tomlinson's normal rushing output, the Chargers still handled the defending NFC champions. The defense remains stout after limiting the Bears to three points. And in L.T. (who now has seven career passing TDs), they may also have a secret weapon under center. (One first-place vote)

4 DALLAS COWBOYS — 246 points
Notes: Good: They scored 45 points in Week 1 and Tony Romo (345 yards passing) showed no letdown from the disappointing end to his first season as starter. Bad: They surrendered 35 points to the Giants, and their secondary was similarly scorched for four touchdown passes.

5 BALTIMORE RAVENS — 233 points
Notes: Injuries threaten to derail this club on both sides of the ball. Witness: Steve McNair (groin) couldn't finish Monday night's loss to the Bengals and Ray Lewis (triceps) was dinged in the effort. Still, if the team can correct the offensive stumbles, they could be a power.

6 PITTSBURGH STEELERS — 230 points
Notes: A bit of a surprise climber to No. 6. The Steelers looked extremely strong in the 34-7 defeat of the Browns. But, let's be real — it was the Browns. A win against a more competitive club will prove they belong.

7 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS — 226 points
Notes: So far, they look experienced instead of old. But the potential pratfalls remain for an aging club that has won the NFC west the past three seasons.

8 DENVER BRONCOS — 224 points
Notes: The last-second win in Buffalo was a huge sigh of relief for the Broncos. But is that a sign of good luck to come or of a disappointing season ahead?

9 CAROLINA PANTHERS — 213 points
Notes: Surprising win in St. Louis launches season with a bounce. But they need their health to keep pace with their talent if they're to overcome the Saints in the NFC South.

10 CHICAGO BEARS — 208 points
Notes: Losing Mike Brown — again — really hurts the defending NFC champs. The offense struggled in San Diego. The defense looked OK. A positive: San Diego is the toughest team they should face this year.

11 CINCINNATI BENGALS — 206 points
Notes: The offense was sharp against Baltimore. And if the defense can maintain its opportunistic ways, the playmakers on offense could turn the Bengals into a major threat to the AFC powers.

12 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS — 189 points
Notes: A shocking fall for the team many expect will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Now, was Week 1 an aberration or a worrisome harbinger that the Saints were a one-shot wonder in 2006?

13 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES — 158 points
Notes: Last-second losses are not part of the plan to win the NFC East. But with more time to get back in the groove, Donovan McNabb should have the Eagles in contention before long.

14 GREEN BAY PACKERS — 150 points
Notes: Brett Favre's team has won five straight games dating to last season. There may be a lot of questions about who will score the points, but No. 4 could have a squad he can take to the playoffs.

15 WASHINGTON REDSKINS — 149 points
Notes: Beating the Dolphins in overtime is not really something to get excited about. But it's a step forward for a team that went 5-11 last season. Jason Campbell continues to show promise under center.

16 HOUSTON TEXANS — 139 points
Notes: No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams looked brilliant in the opener — even if it is his sophomore season. But Matt Schaub was clearly in command of the Texans' offense. There's reason to believe in Houston.

TIE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS — 137 points
Notes: The opening-week win is a boost to a team that beat division champ Seattle twice last season. If Alex Smith can settle down with TE Vernon Davis as a dependable weapon, and if Patrick Willis continues to impress at linebacker, then watch out for the Niners.

TIE MINNESOTA VIKINGS — 137 points
Notes: Is there a more exciting rookie in an NFL jersey than Adrian Peterson? Chester Taylor, take note: Peterson should become the face of the Vikings' offense before long. And that's welcome news to second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

19 TENNESSEE TITANS — 133 points
Notes: Super, they beat the Jaguars in Week 1. But are they legitimate contenders? The lack of receivers suggests no. And can anyone expect Chris Brown to repeat his dominating Week 1 rushing performance?

20 DETROIT LIONS — 121 points
Notes: Getting a road win, even in Oakland, is a good start. The Lions are now 10% of the way to Jon Kitna's win guarantee. A Week 2 date with Minnesota makes a 2-0 start very possible.

21 ST. LOUIS RAMS — 110 points
Notes: A humbling loss to the Panthers in Week 1. The offense will awaken, but it will become more difficult with left tackle Orlando Pace lost for the season.

22 ARIZONA CARDINALS — 108 points
Notes: The opening loss to the 49ers notwithstanding, the Cardinals will steadily improve as the season moves on. This may not be the year they're ready, but good things are coming to the desert.

23 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS — 99 points
Notes: The craziness in Jacksonville — releasing their starting quarterback one week before the season began — got worse after the embarrassing loss to the Titans. Who would have thought this team would surrender 282 rushing yards?

TIE NEW YORK JETS — 98 points
Notes: A punishing opening two weeks continues when the Jets travel to Baltimore (to face a hungry Ravens squad). The catcalls to dump Chad Pennington will only intensify if this team stumbles further.

TIE NEW YORK GIANTS — 98 points
Notes: The 35 points they scored in Dallas were impressive. But the rash of injuries is scary. Who will run the ball? Better yet, who will play quarterback if the injury to Eli Manning keeps him out for a while?

26 BUFFALO BILLS — 83 points
Notes: Victory was in the Bills' grasp until Jason Elam's walk-off field goal. That was a deflating, sobering opener after the injury to Kevin Everett. Here's what's worse: The Bills travel to Pittsburgh and New England the next two weeks.

27 MIAMI DOLPHINS — 67 points
Notes: The loss in Washington hurt, but there were positive signs. The decision to go for a touchdown instead of a field goal at the end of the first half was gutsy and paid off. That could be an indication of some exciting football in Miami this season.

28 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS — 47 points
Notes: All those quarterbacks Tampa had on its roster this summer and who ends up playing in the second half at Seattle: Luke McCown. The Bucs may not have the right mix of young talent and veteran savvy right now.

29 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS — 33 points
Notes: The offense was ugly in the opening 20-3 loss at Houston. The Damon Huard era may not last much longer if the Chiefs perform as poorly against a tough Chicago defense this week.

TIE OAKLAND RAIDERS — 31 points
Notes: Yes, they lost. But Josh McCown charged up the Black Hole when they grabbed a 21-20 lead in the fourth quarter. If nothing else, the offense didn't look anemic — as it did for most of 2006.

TIE ATLANTA FALCONS — 31 points
Notes: Joey Harrington didn't look anywhere near as good in Week 1 as he did in his final preseason contest. The 24-3 thumping from the Vikings could portend a loooong season in Atlanta.

32 CLEVELAND BROWNS — 12 points
Notes: Ugh. For everyone's sake, the Brady Quinn era cannot start soon enough.

About the rankings: Nine NFL staffers at USA TODAY ranked all 32 teams. Thirty-two points were assigned to the first-place team, thirty-one points to second place, etc.

MadtownPacker
09-15-2007, 11:19 AM
They would have to destroy the giants which can happen if the O has a good game. The giants are missing jacobs and have a more half ass then usual Eli who might start. Now that I think about it they probably wont be in the top 10 unless the score is like 50-3.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 12:51 PM
If one were to accept this USA TODAY Poll as accurate? and looking here:

9 CAROLINA PANTHERS — 213 points
Notes: Surprising win in St. Louis launches season with a bounce. But they need their health to keep pace with their talent if they're to overcome the Saints in the NFC South.

10 CHICAGO BEARS — 208 points
Notes: Losing Mike Brown — again — really hurts the defending NFC champs. The offense struggled in San Diego. The defense looked OK. A positive: San Diego is the toughest team they should face this year.

11 CINCINNATI BENGALS — 206 points
Notes: The offense was sharp against Baltimore. And if the defense can maintain its opportunistic ways, the playmakers on offense could turn the Bengals into a major threat to the AFC powers.

12 NEW ORLEANS SAINTS — 189 points
Notes: A shocking fall for the team many expect will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Now, was Week 1 an aberration or a worrisome harbinger that the Saints were a one-shot wonder in 2006?

13 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES — 158 points
Notes: Last-second losses are not part of the plan to win the NFC East. But with more time to get back in the groove, Donovan McNabb should have the Eagles in contention before long.

14 GREEN BAY PACKERS — 150 points
Notes: Brett Favre's team has won five straight games dating to last season. There may be a lot of questions about who will score the points, but No. 4 could have a squad he can take to the playoffs.

15 WASHINGTON REDSKINS — 149 points
Notes: Beating the Dolphins in overtime is not really something to get excited about. But it's a step forward for a team that went 5-11 last season. Jason Campbell continues to show promise under center.

16 HOUSTON TEXANS — 139 points
Notes: No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams looked brilliant in the opener — even if it is his sophomore season. But Matt Schaub was clearly in command of the Texans' offense. There's reason to believe in Houston.

TIE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS — 137 points
Notes: The opening-week win is a boost to a team that beat division champ Seattle twice last season. If Alex Smith can settle down with TE Vernon Davis as a dependable weapon, and if Patrick Willis continues to impress at linebacker, then watch out for the Niners.

TIE MINNESOTA VIKINGS — 137 points
Notes: Is there a more exciting rookie in an NFL jersey than Adrian Peterson? Chester Taylor, take note: Peterson should become the face of the Vikings' offense before long. And that's welcome news to second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

19 TENNESSEE TITANS — 133 points
Notes: Super, they beat the Jaguars in Week 1. But are they legitimate contenders? The lack of receivers suggests no. And can anyone expect Chris Brown to repeat his dominating Week 1 rushing performance?

We are presently sitting in position NO. 14.

Some questions that members of the forum may ask themselves:

With the present state of our OL and no smell of a running game. With Favre being sacked 5 times last week by Philly and Favre being called to pass 42 times.

Are we based on the strength of a good 'D' going to shunt past the likes of the Eagles,Saints, Bengals or Bears all season little less in one game?

A decent possiblity of another victory of convenience, of another nature over the NY Giants looms in anticipation for Packer fans this Sunday? Forget just the hope of playing better in the Red Zone. Hopes of that despite no offensive TD's Vs the Eagles?

Coach Mike McCarthy and the offensive Co-Ordinator can't seriously design a game plan of effectiveness unless the OL gets in the game. We need to see the veteren tackles (Clifton and Tauscher) step up. Lead the middle of the OL by example. Inspite of that and anything else we must magically gain yards via the run. We don't have enough talent or great fortune at WR to carry our "O".

After Donald Driver. . . . who will step up?

The NY Giants are hurting. A team that like the Packers now has problems in their running game. Who can carry the ball effectively with B.Jacobs down? The Giants have the question of a crippled starting QB (Eli Manning) that by the way played extremely well against the Dallas Cowboys before he went down last week?

By the way my take is that it would be desperation and possible suicide in the press for HC Tom Coughlan to start Eli tomorrow, and that, lead to worse for Eli Manning.

We have a real chance a certain opportunity to seize the moment and open this season 2-0. Who would have seriously imagined that to reality? The Eagles and Giants made the playoffs in 2006.

Setting tomorrows match aside.

What magic suddenly materilized, or happened to our team to even imagine that we are superior to the Eagles,Saints, Bengals or Bears?

Are we really stronger than the likes of the Texans (16) and Titans (19)?

Are the Texans a superior team to the Titans? :)

The Titans split their games last season with the Colts and lost one of those contests by a single point. Since Vince Young took over as the starting QB they have been on a tear. The Titans are a scary team in the AFC.

The Houston Texans finally look alive. Winning a franchise record three straight games. They face off with the Panthers this weekend and the result of that matchup is very much in doubt today.

Have the Vikings gone away and jusy maybe ( just maybe :) ) the Lions will roar in 2007. That match-up tomorrow really interests me. I want to see respect return ti the NFCN, to see the return of the Black and Blue.

The main point I want you to consider here is the accuracy of this POWER Ranking. How creditable is it as any real basis to establish one teams superiority over any other team. I believe that the goal of the coaching staff is to treat each game (match-up) seperately. As a unique challenge at any point in the seasons schedule.

Adversity and timing factors in the schedule lend themselves often to a fortunate situation.

The Packers may be 2-0 tomorrow evening because the Packer GODS smiled on them. :)

We are NOT suddenly and by magic means going to enter the higher echelon of the NFL elites with any victory tomorrow over the Giants.

GO PACK GO !!

RashanGary
09-15-2007, 01:20 PM
I'd argue that the Packers have been closing the gap between average and good over the course of off season growth that came from within.

We did not thrust from 20th to 10th overnight, we were 10th when the season started and we are soon to be recognized as such.

The question you asked as to whether or not the "power ranking" has any merit or relevance is a good question. I would say that it does. Those who make the power rankings are using the games that have been played this season as evidence. I think the games that have been played this season are reliable evidence. Would I consider week 2's power ranking the bible of the NFL 2007 season? Not really but I'd say it's better than any ranking up to this point. Plus, it's getting closer the the 10th best team that I think they are so I have to agree with the experts moving the Packers up. They're just starting to see the Pack for what they are, a good, accending team with too many holes to win the SB.

Cheers to the polar bear :glug:

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I'd argue that the Packers have been closing the gap between average and good over the course of off season growth that came from within.

We did not thrust from 20th to 10th overnight, we were 10th when the season started and we are soon to be recognized as such.

The question you asked as to whether or not the "power ranking" has any merit or relevance is a good question. I would say that it does. Those who make the power rankings are using the games that have been played this season as evidence. I think the games that have been played this season are reliable evidence. Would I consider week 2's power ranking the bible of the NFL 2007 season? Not really but I'd say it's better than any ranking up to this point. Plus, it's getting closer the the 10th best team that I think they are so I have to agree with the experts moving the Packers up. They're just starting to see the Pack for what they are, a good, accending team with too many holes to win the SB.

Cheers to the polar bear :glug:

The only thing I can trust is my own ability to rate a teams effectiveness to defeat an opponent on the basis of the match-up at hand.

That analysis involves a lot of parameters. :)

That involves a dedicated self involvement in what each team has as weakness's and strengths Vs the opponent.

It's my present analysis that the Packers are overranked in the 14th position in the NFL overall.

In the end.

I have little faith in the USA TODAY Power Ranking as being a sound or legitimate source of comparing NFL teams as a whole.

Other sources (and there are too many :) ) and my personal knowledge of the Packers as a dedicated fan, and fan of the NFL , lead me to that conclusion JH.

JH are you still wondering if I'm Tank?

If you are. You are so deluded. :) If you imagine that I'm Tank (and among his alias's Anti-Polor Bear). Smarten up PLEASE.

Having honestly stated ( again to YOU JH ) that I am, and only have been woodbuck27 posting here or on any other Packer or NFL forum.

I do miss that impetuous, often incorrigible in his immaturity, yet dedicated young Packer fan. :)

RashanGary
09-15-2007, 02:58 PM
If you are not Tank, you most certianly are one "angry little girl"

Tell me the truth, Woodbuck, this is you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aPNi3y75-ZI

Lurker64
09-15-2007, 03:25 PM

No, her critical thinking abilities and epistemic honesty exceed Woodbuck's, from what I've seen.

woodbuck27
09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
If you are not Tank, you most certianly are one "angry little girl"

There is a wealth of help available to YOU JustinHarrell.

You can accept the challenge of yourself or fall.

RashanGary
09-18-2007, 04:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking Packers 12, Bears 6

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings Packers 10, Bears 4

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/12/power.ranks.part2/index.html Packers 11, Bears 10

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-power-rankings.htm Packers 9, Bears 7

Bears average = 7
Packers average = 11

Looks like we were right. They got close, but no cigar.

RashanGary
09-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I think the Bears will lose this week to the Cowboys. If we win this week against SD and they lose to Dallas, I think we pass them in the minds of the experts.

Lurker64
09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
I think the Bears will lose this week to the Cowboys. If we win this week against SD and they lose to Dallas, I think we pass them in the minds of the experts.

I don't think that's really a hard call to make. Supposing we beat San Diego and Dallas beats Chicago, to say "hmm... Green Bay has 2 more wins than Chicago and has defeated one of the teams that Chicago lost to, probably put the Packers ahead of the Bears if only provisionally."

Beating the Chargers is a tall order for us though.