PDA

View Full Version : Scout's Inc GB/NYG Prediction

Packnut
09-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Take 2: Packers vs. Giants
By Scouts Inc

Friday, September 14, 2007

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Packers and Giants. Now they're back with a second look.

Matchup to watch
Green Bay DE Aaron Kampman vs. NY Giants OT Kareem McKenzie
This should be a great matchup between two veteran players that bring experience, technique and toughness to this contest. Kampman was once thought to be an over-achiever with a great motor, but not athletic enough to be an impact player. He had 15.5 sacks in 2006 and is now considered one of the tougher edge-rushers to block in the league. Kampman brings a variety of pass-rush moves and counters to attack upfield. Plus, he uses his hands well to disengage effectively.

McKenzie is the typical right tackle in the NFL with more power and punch than athleticism. He has an effective initial kick-step and usually wins early in the play if he can engage defenders before they get going. He uses his hands well and has great strength to control edge-rushers if he keeps good body position. This will be a key individual matchup as Lorenzen, who is left-handed, will need to keep his backside clean to be effective in the passing game.

If Eli Manning is unable to play, can the Giants beat the Packers with Jared Lorenzen?
There is a good chance that Manning will be out this week because of a shoulder injury he suffered against Dallas. And if he can't go, Lorenzen will take over the reigns for a beat up New York team. Lorenzen, who was a college free agent in 2004, has jokingly been referred to as the "hefty lefty". He is 6-foot-3 and pushing 300 pounds. However, he has good feet and agility in the pocket. Lorenzen also has a strong arm with a solid release, possesses a good grasp of the game and tends to read coverages well. Plus, he has the tools to execute a somewhat-reduced game plan.

The Giants put up 438 yards and 35 points on a very good Cowboys defense in Week 1, but this week New York is shorthanded with the loss of power back Brandon Jacobs and probably Manning. However, it has a chance against a Green Bay team that offensively stumbled out of the blocks in it's opener. If Lorenzen takes care of the ball, this should be a defensive struggle. Look for Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride to get the ball to their playmakers by using only high-percentage passes. And if they can establish some type of ground attack versus a stingy Packers front four, it will make it a lot easier for the inexperienced Lorenzen to get the ball to TE Jeremy Shockey and WR Plaxico Burress.

Can the Packers offense get on track after their dismal outing in Week 1?
Green Bay's offense marked up only 46 rushing yards on top of QB Brett Favre's poor performance (58.2 QB rating) versus the Eagles. The Packers continue to search for an effective ground attack with the loss of Ahman Green in the offseason and starter Vernand Morency's health in question. Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin called just 16 running plays in Week 1 and will likely force-feed the running game versus a defense that gave up 164 yards on the ground in its opener.

Favre should also improve on his dismal outing against a Giants defense that yielded 314 yards in the air. Look for head coach Mike McCarthy to incorporate a more-balanced game plan and get both phases of the Packers offense on track.

The Giants only generated one sack in Week 1 and without DE Osi Umenyiora, who is their leading edge-rusher, they will likely bring pressure from different areas on the field. But taking too many chances versus Favre may be costly if he can get the ball out quickly. Look for Philbin to be creative with his play-calling by inserting some quick-hitters in the running game and some three-step drops in Green Bay's air attack. The Packers should be much more productive this week versus a struggling New York defense.

Can an injured Al Harris be effective in coverage versus the perimeter receivers of the Giants?
The Packers' 10-year veteran cornerback Harris played well in Week 1, but he is going to draw a tougher assignment this week. Plus, he will do this with his right arm mostly immobilized. Harris finished the opener after injuring himself on a special teams play. He won't play on special teams this week, but he will be on an island often against the 6-3 Amani Toomer or 6-5 Plaxico Burress. Both players create matchup concerns for the limited Harris. Look for Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders to play some combination coverages that would give Harris some help over the top, but there will be times when he will have to man up one-on-one.

Gilbride will likely use different formations and motions to create one-on-one matchups with Harris, especially for Burress. The Packers can hide Harris versus the running game by using a safety as the primary support defender, but the size disadvantage coupled with an injury is cause for concern.

Scouts' Edge

The Scouts Inc. Position Advantage
QB RB WR OL DL LB DB ST Coach

Both teams are somewhat shorthanded on both sides of the ball, but it appears that the Giants' losses will hurt more, especially if Manning is unable to play. If Manning were playing, we would give the Giants the slight edge to win at home. However, he is a game-time decision and even if he does play, he will be limited and only one good hit away from being knocked out. Plus, it's highly unlikely that Favre will have back-to-back dismal outings, so we believe the Packers will win on the road.

Prediction: Packers 20, Giants 17

RashanGary
09-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't remember being favored in one game last year. Maybe we were against the Lions and I don't remember.

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Since when does Philbin call the plays?

Maxie the Taxi
09-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Other questions that occur to me...

The Giants put up 438 yards and 35 points on a very good Cowboys defense in Week 1,

1. How can the Cowboys' defense be "very good" when it gives up these kinds of numbers? The Cowboys defense is good in the estimation of experts and gurus, not by week in and week out performance.

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin...will likely force-feed the running game versus a defense that gave up 164 yards on the ground in its opener.

2. Why would the Packers "force-feed" the run just because the Giants gave up 164 yards on the ground considering that they also gave up over 300 yards in the air? McCarthy's history is to force-feed the pass, not the run, when an opponent shows a weakness against the pass.

Look for head coach Mike McCarthy to incorporate a more-balanced game plan and get both phases of the Packers offense on track.

3. This prediction is based on what? Newspaper accounts? Actual on-site scouting reports? Inside information? If not based on hard, inside information, i.e., information we as fans couldn't know, why is their expert prediction any more reliable than that of an average fan?

Can an injured Al Harris be effective in coverage versus the perimeter receivers of the Giants?

4. Why assume Harris will play injured? He'll either be good enough to perform satisfactorily or he'll sit the bench.

Plus, it's highly unlikely that Favre will have back-to-back dismal outings, so we believe the Packers will win on the road.

5. Why put it on Favre? This is a different team than last year. Put it on the Packer defense. If our D has back-to-back solid games, the Packers are likely to extend their sterling road game record regardless of who is the Giants' QB.

Harlan Huckleby
09-14-2007, 09:18 PM
I was listening to Troy Aikman on the radio yesterday, he is doing the broadcast of the Packer-Giants game. He sounded like he was being dragged to his own funeral, pissed at being stuck doing a game between two non-contenders.

Maxie the Taxi
09-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I was listening to Troy Aikman on the radio yesterday, he is doing the broadcast of the Packer-Giants game. He sounded like he was being dragged to his own funeral, pissed at being stuck doing a game between two non-contenders.

Poor Aikman.

I'd give anything to see this game, but I can't. I'll be working.

It figures to be one of the best games of the weekend. Giants at are home, trying to rebound from a tough loss in Dallas and trying to stay competitive in their division.

Packers are good on defense, good on the road and a confident bunch of youngsters.

With all the injuries and unknowns it's too close for me to call. It boils down to who wants it more than the other guy. My advice to our players: Don't be too full of yourselves. My advice to McCarthy and gunslinger Favre: Be patient. Pick your spots carefully. A poorly executed "gamble" could mean the difference in this one.

LL2
09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
The way I look at it if the Pack win this weekend and win one of the next two they will be 3-1. Now, when is the last time we saw that? It can happen.

4and12to12and4
09-15-2007, 10:14 AM
If the Giants beat us, we're in trouble. I know it's a road game, but our defense is FAR superior to their's. Watch, Philly will score 30+ this week. They are overrated, the East is a two team division this year, the Cowboys and the Eagles. Their offense isn't much better than ours. They have NO run game, and with our front 7, they are going to be pass happy. That plays right into what we want. I predict 3 interceptions for the Packers, if Eli plays, 3 sacks, if doughboy plays, 6 sacks. 23 pressures either way.

The final score will be 28-13, Pack. The Giants suck. So does Eli. Done.