PDA

View Full Version : Hurray UM wins finally

b bulldog
09-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Um is awful we all know that but imo, the conference is very weak! UW, O St have some glarring issues. My choice is Penn St. The Big Ten rep in the BCS will have two L's at least.

digitaldean
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Um is awful we all know that but imo, the conference is very weak! UW, O St have some glarring issues. My choice is Penn St. The Big Ten rep in the BCS will have two L's at least.

So is ND going to treat Charlie Weis the same way they did Ty Willingham after his 3rd season?? :roll:

Highly doubt it.

-14 total rushing yards for the season. Boy, the Pack's RB's are a juggernaut compared them!

BallHawk
09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
-14 total rushing yards for the season. Boy, the Pack's RB's are a juggernaut compared them!

I'm sure they wish Darius Walker was still there.

CaliforniaCheez
09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
The University of Minnesota lost today, Bulldog.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Gophers (my alma mater) lost to Florida Atlantic today--after losing to Bowling Green two weeks ago and barely beating Miami (Ohio) in OT last week.

I thought North Dakota State (a very good small school) had a chance to beat the Gophers. Now, I'm thinking if they do beat them, it won't even be worth bragging about.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I don't care that UM won, but I sure am glad to see Notre Dame lose.

I have mixed feelings about ND. I want them to join the Big Ten, it makes perfect sense. But as long as they are running their own selfish show, I wish a plague of locusts upon them.

Charles Woodson
09-15-2007, 10:36 PM
i knew mallet was going to be way better than clausen... Then again i hated clausen from the beginning

ND72
09-15-2007, 10:50 PM

I'm sure they wish Darius Walker was still there.

I'm willing to be HE wishes he was there.....it's painful for me right now...my beloved Irish are as ugly as I predicted.

ND72
09-15-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't care that UM won, but I sure am glad to see Notre Dame lose.

I have mixed feelings about ND. I want them to join the Big Ten, it makes perfect sense. But as long as they are running their own selfish show, I wish a plague of locusts upon them.

It's not selfish, it's smart. They have 6 "rivalries"...USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, Stanford, Boston College...if they had the Big 10 schedule, they couldn't get all their rivalries. I consider those 6 games their "conference" schedule....the problem is that this is the first year ND decided to actually schedule pancake teams, just like all other top teams do. Otherwise ND always schedules an entire schedule of hard games....AND, they are making money, which is EVERYTHING the BCS does, so why not capitalize?

Partial
09-15-2007, 10:55 PM
Gophers (my alma mater) lost to Florida Atlantic today--after losing to Bowling Green two weeks ago and barely beating Miami (Ohio) in OT last week.

I thought North Dakota State (a very good small school) had a chance to beat the Gophers. Now, I'm thinking if they do beat them, it won't even be worth bragging about.

I thought you went to ND State?

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2007, 10:57 PM
They could play three of the rivalries in the Big 10--which would leave the other three for the non-conference schedule. Is Notre Dame-Stanford really that big of a rivalry anymore? They could play a 12 game schedule. The Big 10 schedule and four non-conference games. Two could be an annual meeting with USC and Boston College. They could rotate the likes of Stanford, Navy, Air Force, etc. for one game. Then, play a different team in the other game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2007, 10:58 PM
I thought you went to ND State?

Nope. I'm from North Dakota. I always rooted for NDSU football and Sioux hockey. If you aren't from Fargo or Grand Forks, you can do that.
:D

ND72
09-15-2007, 11:00 PM
They could play three of the rivalries in the Big 10--which would leave the other three for the non-conference schedule. Is Notre Dame-Stanford really that big of a rivalry anymore? They could play a 12 game schedule. The Big 10 schedule and four non-conference games. Two could be an annual meeting with USC and Boston College. They could rotate the likes of Stanford, Navy, Air Force, etc. for one game. Then, play a different team in the other game.

That is where the selfishness comes in....I read yesterday that if ND joined the big 10, they'd lose around $15 million dollars a year...Personally, I don't give a crap where they play, but that's a lot of money to lose out. If they joined the league, they'd have to give 80% of their TV income to the Big 10.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2007, 11:01 PM
It's not selfish, it's smart. They have 6 "rivalries"...USC, Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, Stanford, Boston College...if they had the Big 10 schedule, they couldn't get all their rivalries.

Well ya, they are sitting pretty. They have their own TV contract. they get most of the benefit of being in the Big Ten by scheduling 3 or 4 Big Ten Schools every year - without having to share revenues.

I say screw Notre Dame. I don't hate them because they are good - they've had crappy teams for years. I hate them because they have unfair economic advantages that get them in bowls they don't deserve to be in.

I'll be happy to like Notre Dame if they join the Big Ten adn give-up special advantages. They'll have to sink a little more before that becomes an attractive option to them. So sink away, boys!

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2007, 11:03 PM
BTW, I was watching Barry Alvarez on the Sidelines TV Show . He said he doubted ND would ever agree to join Big Ten. Too bad, it's a perfect fit in so many ways.

ND72
09-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Notre Dame makes big bowls, because they bring lots of people with them. So when they go 10-2...which, won't be anytime soon as of now...BCS & Bowl hosters know that ND will for sure sell their tickets, and then some. Again, that's not ND's fault...that's just simple economics.

HarveyWallbangers
09-15-2007, 11:06 PM
A lot of teams draw really well for bowl games (Wisconsin and all of the upper echelon Big Ten teams included).

ND72
09-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, but BCS rules state no more than 2 teams from a single conference can be in the BCS.

Harlan Huckleby
09-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I like Big 10 football, and would like to see the league enhanced by a high profile team. And hell, ND already play the Indiana & Michigan teams regularly. Its an unholy situation that they aren't in the league.

Partial
09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but BCS rules state no more than 2 teams from a single conference can be in the BCS.

And there should be a rule a team cannot play in a BCS game unless they are IN a conference. ND plays a tough schedule but they are exploiting other teams and cheating the system. I say make them join a conference or no post season. Clearly, they did not deserve it last year.

ND72
09-15-2007, 11:14 PM

And there should be a rule a team cannot play in a BCS game unless they are IN a conference. ND plays a tough schedule but they are exploiting other teams and cheating the system. I say make them join a conference or no post season. Clearly, they did not deserve it last year.

It's not cheating the system, it's exploiting the system. And they clearly haven't deserved a big bowl game in years, that team was carried by Brady Quinn. Argue all you want, but without him the past 2 seasons, they're a 4-8 team.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Yours truly, Scott Campbell, watched the Utes destroy #11 UCLA today - 44-6. That's the biggest upset I've ever been at.

cpk1994
09-16-2007, 04:21 AM

It's not cheating the system, it's exploiting the system. And they clearly haven't deserved a big bowl game in years, that team was carried by Brady Quinn. Argue all you want, but without him the past 2 seasons, they're a 4-8 team.

You can call it exploiting the system, but the conference commissioners agreed to the setup, so you can't blame ND.

BallHawk
09-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Yours truly, Scott Campbell, watched the Utes destroy #11 UCLA today - 44-6. That's the biggest upset I've ever been at.

When I saw that score on the bottomline I had to see it come by again to believe it.

Utah outscoring the #11 team by 38 points?

Damn. That's a beating.

KYPack
09-16-2007, 09:29 AM

Plus, Scott took all his wives to the game, so it was a sellout!

falco
09-16-2007, 09:30 AM

Plus, Scott took all his wives to the game, so it was a sellout!

hey, it could have been all his kids playing in the game... (and in the stands)

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't want ND in the Big Ten. There's enough big ego schools in the Big Ten already.

If this is a start of a multi-season ND swoon, NBC would be hard pressed to keep showing them. How much longer is the ND TV contract with them anyway?

falco
09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
speaking of which, is anybody else pissed you can't watch the badgers at 10:30 on a saturday night on pbs??? i mean come on

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 09:54 AM

When I saw that score on the bottomline I had to see it come by again to believe it.

Damn. That's a beating.

It was the first time they've beaten a top 15 team at home since 1973.

SkinBasket
09-16-2007, 09:58 AM
speaking of which, is anybody else pissed you can't watch the badgers at 10:30 on a saturday night on pbs??? i mean come on

No. I love the idea of the Big Ten Network buying the sole rights to broadcast games and then holding those rights hostage for leverage against the cable companies. It's awesome when the only broadcast of the #7 team in the country is unavailable to a majority of that team's market. Who says college sports is about money?

falco
09-16-2007, 10:03 AM

No. I love the idea of the Big Ten Network buying the sole rights to broadcast games and then holding those rights hostage for leverage against the cable companies. It's awesome when the only broadcast of the #7 team in the country is unavailable to a majority of that team's market. Who says college sports is about money?

you would you sick son of a bitch

Partial
09-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Damn. That's a beating.

??? didn't they run the table in 2003? I recall that they were quite good when Urban Meyer was there.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 10:14 AM

??? didn't they run the table in 2003? I recall that they were quite good when Urban Meyer was there.[/quote]

I think it was 04. They weren't good, they were great. But they didn't play a top 15 team at home that year. Mountian West schools have difficulty scheduling top flight non conference games. Though this year the Utes play(ed) Oregon State, UCLA and Louisville, and that's a solid non conference schedule. When Meyer left for Florida, Texas dropped the Utes from their schedule like a hot potato. They were fortunate to get UCLA as a replacement. Next year the Utes open the season in Ann Arbor.

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2007, 10:17 AM
??? didn't they run the table in 2003? I recall that they were quite good when Urban Meyer was there.

I think it was 04. They weren't good, they were great. But they didn't play a top 15 team at home that year. Mountian West schools have difficulty scheduling top flight non conference games. Though this year the Utes play(ed) Oregon State, UCLA and Louisville, and that's a solid non conference schedule. When Meyer left for Florida, Texas dropped the Utes from their schedule like a hot potato. They were fortunate to get UCLA as a replacement. Next year the Utes open the season in Ann Arbor.

I wish the Badgers would schedule some tough teams like that.

BallHawk
09-16-2007, 10:21 AM
The guys in Madison really need to start scheduling some tough games. From 2008 to 2010, you know who are toughest Non-Conference teams we play? Hawaii and ASU.

Give me a freakin' break. If you want to play the top teams in the country in January, you gotta beat them in September, October, and November. Scheduling the Citadel isn't going to get you to Pasadena.

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2007, 10:40 AM
The guys in Madison really need to start scheduling some tough games. From 2008 to 2010, you know who are toughest Non-Conference teams we play? Hawaii and ASU.

Give me a freakin' break. If you want to play the top teams in the country in January, you gotta beat them in September, October, and November. Scheduling the Citadel isn't going to get you to Pasadena.
They do still have 2 open weeks in each of those seasons and hopefully they can put a tough school on them. I'd love to see us schedule an SEC or Big 12 opponent.

falco
09-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Especially if you have a hard time beating them.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 10:59 AM

It's not as important for teams in BCS conferences like the Big 10, because their conference schedules are brutal. But I agree, Wisconsin needs to schedule some decent non conference teams.