PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release TE Stephen Alexander

Maxie the Taxi
09-15-2007, 07:41 PM
From http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

"Broncos released TE Stephen Alexander.

Quite a surprise at this point in the season. The Broncos already guaranteed Alexander's $1.425 million base salary by keeping him on the roster in Week 1. This should open the door for Tony Scheffler to see more action behind Daniel Graham, but Alexander's loss will hurt in the run game."

Will Broncos loss be the Packers' gain?

I got a hunch.

digitaldean
09-15-2007, 07:47 PM
From http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

"Broncos released TE Stephen Alexander.

Quite a surprise at this point in the season. The Broncos already guaranteed Alexander's $1.425 million base salary by keeping him on the roster in Week 1. This should open the door for Tony Scheffler to see more action behind Daniel Graham, but Alexander's loss will hurt in the run game."

Will Broncos loss be the Packers' gain?

I got a hunch.

Good God in heaven, I sure hope it does!!! Bubba's not that great, Donald Lee is banged up. Our WR corps lost a reserve and the starting #2 WR has got a hammy issue.

It's a no brainer to at least have him in for a tryout.

Maxie the Taxi
09-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Alexander is currently listed as the second team TE on the Broncos depth chart. I usually agree with TT on his reluctance to sign FA's. However, as long as Alexander is healthy, this could be the exception. Don't forget, Broncos run the same ZBS as the Pack so Alexander could pick up Pack system real fast.

gbpackfan
09-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Not trying to start an argument here, but can he still play. Really, I don't know. I do know that he is 32 but I'm one, of the few it seems, that wants some vets. on offense so I would be happy to sign him......IF he can still play. Anyone know?

MJZiggy
09-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Why'd they cut him?

Bretsky
09-15-2007, 08:05 PM
He might help, but as poor as our TE's are I would not get remotely excited about this

Maxie the Taxi
09-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Why'd they cut him?

Don't know. Probably a combination of other good guys on the roster and salary/age. He has been dinged up a bit too, but if he's healthy he's a better run blocker than anybody on Pack's roster.

Lurker64
09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Wouldn't hurt to bring him in for a visit, and this would certainly be an attractive option to him. A team without a lot of depth at TE that runs a system you're used to seems to be a good option for a guy who just got cut and wants to show he can make an impact.

That being said, and it's unlikely anybody else here has either. So I don't have any idea if he can still play. But if you sign him, who do you cut?

BallHawk
09-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Why'd they cut him?

I guess they really like Tony Scheffler....

Bretsky
09-15-2007, 08:42 PM
One thing that sticks out to me is the guy was hurt very very often

OKC PackerFan
09-15-2007, 09:44 PM
One thing that sticks out to me is the guy was hurt very very often

Hurt often and 32, I hope TT doesn't even think about it, he's better off bringing up the TE from the practice squad.

Spaulding
09-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Initially when I heard his name mentioned in this thread I got excited based on name recognition but reviewing his stats over the last few years, offensively his game definitely appears to be declining. On a side note, looks like the injury knock hasn't been that much of an issue over the last couple of years though based on games played. Not sure how his blocking has remained and given we only have two active TE's on the roster, still might be worth a stab but most likely won't have a bearing on the season results either way:

Season Games Games Started Receptions Yards TD's

2006 16 14 18 160 2
2005 16 15 21 170 1
2004 16 15 41 377 1
2003 3 0 0 0 0
2002 14 14 45 510 1

Can't think of anybody on the roster I'd like to see cut in order to sign him short of maybe moving Francis back to the practice squad.[/img]

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 08:32 AM
I remember looking at Denvers roster after the cut because they had so many TE's. I think this guy is also a long snapper so maybe he had value that way.