PDA

View Full Version : Giants vs. Packers post game thoughts.

PackerBlues
09-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Is it to late to take back all the bad things I have said about Thompson, lol. Embarassed

I am thinking Morency is going to get cut as soon as he comes back from his injury, cause these young guys of Thompsons are looking great!

Good job getting the TE's involved!

All the talking heads that bashed Favre after last week, can have fun eating their words after today. Twisted Evil

MasonCrosby
09-16-2007, 03:04 PM
i'm glad deshawn wynn stepped up today with that nice td run, knocking over the would be giants tackler...

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 03:12 PM
I am thinking Morency is going to get cut as soon as he comes back from his injury, cause these young guys of Thompsons are looking great!

Unlikely. I expect they'll keep all four for a while. Morency may even rise to the top of the heap. Hard to say.

The Shadow
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Pam Oliver is a sow.

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Morency is better than jackson imo although they won't cut neither.

cpk1994
09-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Pam Oliver is a sow.Oh, come on. You are giving sows a bad name. :D

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 03:23 PM
If the Packers would have sucked, I would have said the same thing, PB.

I believe in the way TT does things but I could have been wrong. He might not have been able to find good talent. I'm just glad it worked out. I think is approach is very good. This game just felt good.

GBRulz
09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Brett was damn near perfect today!

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
The running game will be needed next week and also in Minny.

MadtownPacker
09-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Is it to late to take back all the bad things I have said about Thompson, lol. EmbarassedlIts never too late. Glad to see you are enjoying the win this week.

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 03:26 PM
I just want to play SD tough, similar to the way the Bears played them. I'm expecting a loss next week, but if they play strong against the NFL's most physical team, I'll be pretty excited.

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 03:27 PM
I think it will be close but this game the running game needs to show up.

Brandon494
09-16-2007, 03:30 PM
TT is destroying this team! If he would have traded for Moss we would have scored 45 points instead of 35. :evil:

mmmdk
09-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Packers were the better team - thank god - 'cos the Giants suck.

Favre was flawless today; Int. not on Favre.

D stepped up in second half; whole team stepped up in the second half.

Cheesehead Craig
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
TT is destroying this team! If he would have traded for Moss we would have scored 45 points instead of 35. :evil:
OK, that's funny.

Just a great 2nd half by the Packers. It's simply a joyous, nay, magical feeling to watch Brett in the zone like he was in the 2nd half. Almost didn't seem fair. Almost.

gbpackfan
09-16-2007, 04:04 PM
The Packers played well. But that O line and the running game need to improve, still. I'll say this, the Packers O played better then I thought they would. We still need a deep threat but I'll eat some crow on this one.

Brandon494
09-16-2007, 04:09 PM
The Packers played well. But that O line and the running game need to improve, still. I'll say this, the Packers O played better then I thought they would. We still need a deep threat but I'll eat some crow on this one.

Once Jennings comes back that will just open up JJ more against the #3 CBs. I also think Morency can give our running game a boost once he returns.

BallHawk
09-16-2007, 04:12 PM
If this is our offense without our #2 WR and #1 RB from last year......

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Once Jennings comes back that will just open up JJ more against the #3 CBs. I also think Morency can give our running game a boost once he returns.

Could not agree more

I called this an easy win earlier this week, and most would consider me to be anti TT bias.

We're not going to win next week; getting Jennings back is very important to us long term.

I hope he sits out next week and then comes back week 4 full strength for the rest of the season.

gbpackfan
09-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I am VERY, VERY, VERY HAPPY that the Packers O played better then I thought they would. A great win and a great day to be a Packer fan!!!!

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I am VERY, VERY, VERY HAPPY that the Packers O played better then I thought they would. A great win and a great day to be a Packer fan!!!!

The Giants D is terrible; they did what they should have. It will be interesting to see what we do against the Chargers, Bears, and Vikings

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Let's see...Dallas beat NY 45-35 at home.

Green Bay beat NY 35-13 in NY.

Can I conclude that Green Bay's offense is a shade worse than the Cowboys' but Green Bay's defense is about 3x better than Dallas'?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Could not agree more

I called this an easy win earlier this week, and most would consider me to be anti TT bias.

We're not going to win next week; getting Jennings back is very important to us long term.

I hope he sits out next week and then comes back week 4 full strength for the rest of the season.

Come on B, your calling for a loss already? I for one think we can win this game. And I really hope Jennings is back next week, we need him if were going to win the game. Also, for Jennings to miss three weeks with a minor injury doesn't say much about his toughness.

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 05:05 PM

Could not agree more

Come on B, your calling for a loss already? I for one think we can win this game. And I really hope Jennings is back next week, we need him if were going to win the game. Also, for Jennings to miss three weeks with a minor injury doesn't say much about his toughness.

I was calling this game a win since last Monday :lol:
I don't think we can beat SD unless they play terrible and we play great.
Plus, an AFC loss, in the big picture, hurts us the least in tiebreakers.
If there is any doubt at all I hope Jennings rests next week and comes back full strength the week afater

Lurker64
09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, we're capable of beating San Diego. This is the NFL, everybody is capable of beating everybody else. It's just not likely, and it won't really reflect that much on this team's potential if they don't. San Diego is a veteran team that's stacked with proven talent on every side of the ball and has very few question marks. We're an improving team with young guys who could be good but we don't really know yet. They're supposed to beat us.

Two years ago we were a bad team. Last year we were an average team. This year we're trying to be a good team. Good teams have to win the games they're supposed to win, and about half of the games that are pretty even. Good teams don't have to win the games they're supposed to lose, that's what great teams do and I don't think we're there yet.

But they game for a reason, and anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday.

Partial
09-16-2007, 05:06 PM
You called it an easy win with Eli Manning and Osi Umenyoira out. Let's be honest here. This was a good win just like last week. Last year we would have lost this game.

It also should be noted that both teams we have beaten this year were in the playoffs last year and are likely to be in contention for them again this year. Having that tie-breaker will pay dividends later on.

The Giants are a pretty decent team and this game has huge ramifications because last year the Giants (0-2 in conference) took the last playoff spot by virtue of conference record tie-breaker (we're 2-0 so far in conference).

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 05:13 PM
You called it an easy win with Eli Manning and Osi Umenyoira out. Let's be honest here. This was a good win just like last week. Last year we would have lost this game.

It also should be noted that both teams we have beaten this year were in the playoffs last year and are likely to be in contention for them again this year. Having that tie-breaker will pay dividends later on.

The Giants are a pretty decent team and this game has huge ramifications because last year the Giants (0-2 in conference) took the last playoff spot by virtue of conference record tie-breaker (we're 2-0 so far in conference).

whether they had Manning or not did not matter to me. I fully expected our defense to terrorize Manning and thought he'd have a very poor game because of it.

And their defense, it's just pathetic. I saw that against Dallas last week.

Jacobs was the key player who I thought they'd miss; regardless I thought our defense matched up very well and would control their offense....and I thought our offense would be respectable against their defense.

GBRulz
09-16-2007, 06:01 PM
One thing I really like about M3 is his ability to make halftime changes when necessary. That was Sherman's greatest fault as a coach IMO.

Not sure what M3 said to those guys in the locker room, but they came out fired up. Most notably, the OL.

The biggest disappointment in the game today, for me, was our lack of pass rush. Isn't that why we drafted a DL with our first pick? Eli had all day back there to throw.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 06:12 PM
The biggest disappointment in the game today, for me, was our lack of pass rush. Isn't that why we drafted a DL with our first pick? Eli had all day back there to throw.

You have to give credit to the NY OL. It's a good, tough, veteran group.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Oh, we're capable of beating San Diego.

I agree. The best thing about having a bunch of young guys on your team is that they don't know there're things that they can't do...If you know what I mean.

motife
09-16-2007, 06:44 PM
for his career, Mason Crosby's only 75%.

He's misses 1 out of every 4 FG's.

That's not Hall of Fame in my book.

motife
09-16-2007, 06:56 PM
post game thoughts :

I know it's James Jones catching a pass without looking at the numbers. On his long pass, he didn't even reach for it. He's got like super eyes and super quick, strong hands. I've never seen anyone catch in a crowd like he does without being 6-5 and a leaper.

Bubba Franks has taken it to a level I've never seen in his entire careeer. He's playing quicker, and he's really trying for RAC. He's also becoming very reliable.

DeShawn Wynn still reminds me of Brockington, number and all. Edgar Bennett said earlier this week Ryan Grant reminds him of Dorsey Levens. He sure looked like it on that swing pass.

Donald Lee earned his keep somewhat today, for the first time.

Donald Driver plays SO fast its incredible. I don't know what his 40 time is, but he's like a speed machine in cuts and with the ball.

The OL gave Brett protection today.

Favre was AWESOME. The pick was a tipped ball. 14 completions in a row to start the 2nd half. Even Troy Aikman, who's never been a Favre fan, was praising his play.

The Defense has caved in the 2nd quarter 2 weeks in a row.

Aaron Kampman's strip was AWESOME...

Corey Williams is too good to not get a big number of snaps.

I loved how Poppinga, Jenkins and Barnett stood up for Hawk.

Hawk had a couple good blitzes, even though he didn't get a sack.

Atari Bigby made a he man stop of a RB today, looked like Dick Butkus, stopped the guy in his tracks.

Harris and Woodson bring so much stability to the DB's. Even when things look bad, they'll eventually even things out.

What's the deal with all the fumbles the special teams are getting? Tracy White and Charlie Peprah are a takeaway team on kick coverage.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM

What was said/done? Don't know what you're talking about.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the post-game thoughts by the way. Much appreciated because I didn't see the game.

GBRulz
09-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Actually, Favre's INT bounced off Driver. He most certainly should have caught that pass. I didn't see that it was tipped, maybe it was, but the ball still hit DD in the numbers.

motife
09-16-2007, 07:04 PM

Plaxico Burress blindside blocked A.J. Hawk, who wasn't even near the play. INSTANTLY, the 3 above were in Burress's face. Poppinga gave him a shove and Plaxico just FLEW into the air.

Poppinga got a personal foul, but it was worth it.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 07:07 PM

Plaxico Burress blindside blocked A.J. Hawk, who wasn't even near the play. INSTANTLY, the 3 above were in Burress's face. Poppinga gave him a shove and Plaxico just FLEW into the air.

Wish I could have seen it. I know it's early but, damn, I like what McCarthy's doing with these young guys. He really gets them to react like family, especially on the road.

GBRulz
09-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Wish I could have seen it. I know it's early but, damn, I like what McCarthy's doing with these young guys. He really gets them to react like family, especially on the road.

Burress was getting away with cheap shots almost the whole game.

motife
09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Wish I could have seen it.

Get Directv. Then get NFL Sunday ticket. $149 for Sunday ticket. Less than $40 per month on Directv for the basics.You'd pay at least that for cable.

Even when I was a penniless college student, I NEVER missed a Packer game after I had a car. I drove up to bars in LaCrosse from Cedar Rapids.

While you're at it, get Tivo.

retailguy
09-16-2007, 07:13 PM

75%!!!!! We should WAIVE HIS ASS!. LOL.

the guy has got a chance to be special. It'll be fun to watch him this year.

Good luck to Rayner. Liked him too, but we probably kept the right guy, EVEN IF, Crosby takes the BJ Sander path next season.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I'd have to get Tivo.

I work every Sunday till 4PM.

If not working, I can usually catch game at a Sportsbar down here.

I was gonna have my brother in Wisconsin tape the games and send them to me, but procrastinated.

Willard
09-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Actually, Favre's INT bounced off Driver. He most certainly should have caught that pass. I didn't see that it was tipped, maybe it was, but the ball still hit DD in the numbers.

From what I saw the DB tipped it (barely) at the last second. It redirected the ball slightly causing it to bounce off DD's back shoulder pads. DD had no time to readjust to the tipped ball. It was a solid defensive play.

PackerBlues
09-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Burress was getting away with cheap shots almost the whole game.

It was a big time cheap shot by Burress, that immediately reminded me of Warren Sapps Cheap shot on Clifton years ago. It was the kind of cheap blindside hit that could injure a guy. While I think Pops should have thought twice about retaliating on Burress, I have to give him credit for holding back, had it been me, after shoving Burress to the ground, I would have followed up by kicking the shithead in the balls, lol. :twisted:

The Leaper
09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
The OL has a lot of work to do. There were far too many plays where DL players penetrated the backfield without being blocked. We were lucky that our average TEs could find room to operate against their lackluster LBs.

Our offense next week needs to do exactly what New England is doing to SD right now...pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass. We aren't going to get anything on the ground against them.

Great game by Favre. Green Bay looks like the best team in the NFC North right now. Detroit and Minnesota both looked horrible...and Chicago didn't exactly look great against a weak KC squad.

oregonpackfan
09-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Some of my thoughts were:

1. To critics who think Favre is washed up, please watch a replay of this game. It will show you one game example why he is bound for the HOF.

--he made quick, precise passes.

--he passed to 8 different receivers.

--he displayed tremendous leadership and still loves playing the game.

2. The DL had trouble giving a pass rush in the first half. The pass rush was better in the second half. It supports the idea of moving fresh bodies in and out during the game. I think our DL just wore down the Giants OL in the fourth quarter.

3. Wynn displays excellent open field running ability. He cuts well and explodes off of his cuts.

4. Packers' coverage was good but there were too many interference penalties, including Harris and Hawk.

5. Packers' OL still needs much improvement in run-blocking. There were half a dozen plays where the Packer runner just received the handoff only to be met by a Giant who had penetrated the line.

6. Bubba Franks is back! He made several good catches, including one for a touchdown.

7. As GBRulz mentioned, I liked how McCarthy makes excellent adjustments during the game, both on offense and defense. He is head and shoulders above Sherman in this quality.

8. I like the team's overall intensity and spirit.

VegasPackFan
09-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Wynn shows a few flashes last week and this week again. He looks like a powerful runner with some moves and speed to boot. Maybe he will get a few more touches and see what happens.

Defense has an attitude and the Popinga personal foul I thought was warranted. These guys are truly a unit with pride.

Favre was great and more importantly played a very controlled game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2007, 09:25 PM
whether they had Manning or not did not matter to me. I fully expected our defense to terrorize Manning and thought he'd have a very poor game because of it.

And their defense, it's just pathetic. I saw that against Dallas last week.

Jacobs was the key player who I thought they'd miss; regardless I thought our defense matched up very well and would control their offense....and I thought our offense would be respectable against their defense.

Their defense is below average--although not as bad as they've looked the last two weeks. They have some talent. Blame it on learning a new scheme. However, their offense is good. I don't think they missed Jacobs that much. That RB they had to replace him looked good. Really, Jacobs hasn't proven anything in the NFL. Not much more than the kid they started. He's had back-to-back good weeks. Jacobs has more power, but they could do more with this kid. Moved him around a lot. Much like Brian Westbrook last week.

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2007, 09:29 PM
2. The DL had trouble giving a pass rush in the first half. The pass rush was better in the second half. It supports the idea of moving fresh bodies in and out during the game. I think our DL just wore down the Giants OL in the fourth quarter.

Actually, they came out with a good pass rush. The first three series they pressured Manning a lot, but Eli still made some plays. Then, for some reason, in the second quarter they got little pressure and the Giants ate us up. That's a pretty good offensive football team though. In the second half the pressure was back. Glad Sanders did something to mix it up. I saw more blitzes early in the second half. Eli was getting too comfortable. The Giants had 70 yards total offense in the first quarter (average), and then they ate us up for nearly 170 yards in the second quarter. From halftime until garbage time, they had around 20 yards of offense--before getting like 50 yards on their final drive.

Noodle
09-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Folks, this was a HUGE win. The NY media were making this sound like a must win for the Giants, how they couldn't possibly allow themselves to go 0-2. It's their home opener, they're angry about getting licked by Dallas, Eli toughs it out to make the start, and we're coming off a really poor offensive performance in week 1.

So what happens? We played tough and smart. Favre was as good as I've seen him in a long time. Superb decisionmaking, threw the ball away when nothing was there, kept his cool when the running game was tanking, and his accuracy was unhuman.

The coaching staff did a good job at halftime adjustments. The D bent against some really talented players like Shockey and Burress, but they refused to break, and they were bringing the wood. It looked to me like Shockey just didn't want any more a the licking he was taking.

This was just a terrific win. Sure, the Giants aren't world beaters, but they had a ton of incentive and motivation to get the win in their own house, and the Pack stoned 'em.

Plus, I'm with the others who were proud as hell of Pop for cracking on Burress after his cheap shot. Wish someone would've done the same to Sapp.

gbgary
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
1-i thought brett was great today
2-they ran the ball in the first half but the giants made the adjustments to really slow it down in the second. morency coming back will make a difference cuz he'll hit the gaps rather than run into the lineman's asses
3-donald was donald...again. it was really good to see the tight end position used again. it's been the forgotten position for several years. jones was pretty good too.
4-won the turn-over ratio again
5-the defense had a few lapses but was stout for the most part
6-pam oliver all but called the giant defense a bunch of pussies...lol

i hope they're watching the game tonight. GO PACK GO!

MJZiggy
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Folks, this was a HUGE win. The NY media were making this sound like a must win for the Giants, how they couldn't possibly allow themselves to go 0-2. It's their home opener, they're angry about getting licked by Dallas, Eli toughs it out to make the start, and we're coming off a really poor offensive performance in week 1.

So what happens? We played tough and smart. Favre was as good as I've seen him in a long time. Superb decisionmaking, threw the ball away when nothing was there, kept his cool when the running game was tanking, and his accuracy was unhuman.

The coaching staff did a good job at halftime adjustments. The D bent against some really talented players like Shockey and Burress, but they refused to break, and they were bringing the wood. It looked to me like Shockey just didn't want any more a the licking he was taking.

This was just a terrific win. Sure, the Giants aren't world beaters, but they had a ton of incentive and motivation to get the win in their own house, and the Pack stoned 'em.

Plus, I'm with the others who were proud as hell of Pop for cracking on Burress after his cheap shot. Wish someone would've done the same to Sapp.

What he said...('cept remember that Sherman almost did do the same to Sapp--may go down as the best moment of his coaching career)

cheesner
09-16-2007, 10:06 PM
This is the second game in a row that the LS had a snap that wasn't perfect. We have absolutely NO DEPTH at LS. TT has been on the job now for 3 years and he hasn't gotten some depth at LS. Enough is Enough. FIRE TT if he isn't going to do his job!

LEWCWA
09-16-2007, 10:24 PM
I like that! :P

Kiwon
09-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Brett was awesome. I haven't seen him play that well in a few years. He made good decisions and it's a shame that he had the one pick off a deflection.

Great win! Now to fix the running game......

the_idle_threat
09-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Oh, we're capable of beating San Diego. This is the NFL, everybody is capable of beating everybody else. It's just not likely, and it won't really reflect that much on this team's potential if they don't. San Diego is a veteran team that's stacked with proven talent on every side of the ball and has very few question marks. We're an improving team with young guys who could be good but we don't really know yet. They're supposed to beat us.

Two years ago we were a bad team. Last year we were an average team. This year we're trying to be a good team. Good teams have to win the games they're supposed to win, and about half of the games that are pretty even. Good teams don't have to win the games they're supposed to lose, that's what great teams do and I don't think we're there yet.

But they game for a reason, and anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday.

QFT

We'll have to be at our best, and the Chargers will have to underachieve, but a win could happpen.

If the OL can get Favre any time at all, the defense can be had with the pass, and if the defense can somehow contain LT and make Rivers beat them, I don't think he is good enough to do it. If, if, if .... :D

cpk1994
09-17-2007, 02:29 AM

Plaxico took a dive worthy of the Brazillian soccer team.

cpk1994
09-17-2007, 02:35 AM

Hes actually 4/5 for 80%, but I know what you getting at. :D

EDIT: Whoops, seems I missed counted by thinking he had 4 FG's last week. Nevermind. He is 75%

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Haha, my eldest brother living in Wimbledon (London), just called and invited me to the first NFL regular season game played in Europe. Good grief, it the Giants vs. Dolphins, not quite that elite a game but Wembley is a pretty special stadium - especially the new Wembley. I went to the NFL pre-season game in 1991 at Wembley between Eagles and Bills - damn good atmosphere as always. I saw Reggie White; stood at one point 5 feet from Bruce Smith during pre-game (I was hunting autographs). British spectators are awesome. I also went to European soccer championships in 1996 - same thing - super!

That seals it, for this year that is, I won't go to Lambeau until 2008. But I will hunt down a playoff ticket, like a mad man, should the Packers get a home playoff game this season.

Don't laugh at the Euro NFL game - it's going to be big - I'll wear my authentic Hawk jersey and GB cap. But boy, Eli & co. better shape up or they'll get plummeted all season long.

Jerry Tagge
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Brett Favre is better than Tom Brady any day of the week.

Favre at 37 still plays better with less talent than the overrated Tom Brady and Favre doesn't need his coach to cheat to win games.

Congrats to Favre on being the winningest QB of all time.

swede
09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Like the rest of you, one thing that kind of jumped out at me was how well McCarthy called plays in the second half. By the second series in that half I thought someone different was calling the plays. WHAT? you mean a coordinator can call plays that play off of one another and take advantage of weaknesses on the opposing defense?

In particular, the sexploitation of the Giants linebackers in coverage was sweet.
You like that Baby? Let me do it again!

Prior to the Pop-Barnett-Hawk era it was our linebackers that used to get abused by TE's, RB's and the occasional WR looking for a mismatch.

Green Bud Packer
09-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Brett Favre is better than Tom Brady any day of the week.

Twice as good on Sundays.

Stepping up in the 4th quarter is what jumps out at me. The Pack's "D" line wore out the Giant's "O" line. Quality and quanity can't be beat.

mission
09-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Like the rest of you, one thing that kind of jumped out at me was how well McCarthy called plays in the second half. By the second series in that half I thought someone different was calling the plays. WHAT? you mean a coordinator can call plays that play off of one another and take advantage of weaknesses on the opposing defense?.

i largely agree with you but we can't do the sherman play calling of '1st down is a run play' and then we pass out of that... he got predictable for a few series. luckily the boys made a bunch of key conversions.

it ended up working out because our D was so stiff late in the game but i hate that 'hybernation, protect the lead' offense. dance with the date that broughtcha M3.