The vote before the game:

Vernand Morency 14% [ 7 ]
Brandon Jackson 37% [ 18 ]
Deshawn Wynn 25% [ 12 ]
Ryan Grant 22% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 48

MadtownPacker
09-16-2007, 03:21 PM
I jumped on the Wynn bandwagon as soon as Harlan said he was gonna be good. He is always right. :worship:

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I jumped on the Wynn bandwagon as soon as Harlan said he was gonna be good. He is always right. :worship:

good call.

I still think Morency might come back and be the starter, tho!

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I took Wynn last week and he is still my choice. BJack is the starter but I think he is our worst back AT THIS TIME!

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Great call on Wynn, HH. I didn't know what to think. You see a big guy that moves pretty well but he's shown running instincts too. He really looks like a player.

b bulldog
09-16-2007, 03:29 PM
bjACK IS WAY TOO INDECISIVE AND HIS HANDS ARE SHAKEY AND HE LACKS LEG DRIVE.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I apprecite the compliment, JH, but Mad went the extra mile with the http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/smiles/icon_worship.gif

would it have killed you to give a little extra something?

MasonCrosby
09-16-2007, 03:31 PM
morency needs to come back and be the shifty speed back to complement the power backs like bjack and wynn.

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 03:32 PM
:clap: GO H.H. :clap:

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 03:33 PM
morency needs to come back and be the shifty speed back to complement the power backs like bjack and wynn.

i agree. but to pile on a little, Jackson doesn't have much power, and he ain't shifty.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
aww shucks, thanks JH :oops:

I know it came from you heart.

RashanGary
09-16-2007, 03:36 PM
I agree with what you're saying about Jackson. He's not nifty. He's not strong. He's not fast.

He's got a little something about him that makes you think he can be a runner, but he seems more like a career #2. Maybe a really good #2 but I don't like him as a 1st down back.

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I agree with what you're saying about Jackson. He's not nifty. He's not strong. He's not fast.

He's got a little something about him that makes you think he can be a runner, but he seems more like a career #2. Maybe a really good #2 but I don't like him as a 1st down back.

Jackson's biggest flaw IMO is he stutter steps some when approaching the line of scrimmage instead of consistently hitting the hole hard. That can be improved. He's indecisive

I'm not completely sold on Wynn either, but he had a couple nice runs today.

Still intrigued by Grant.

None of these guys may be anything above average long term; it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Joemailman
09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
:clap: GO H.H. :clap:

H.H. is da man! :wow: :wave: :bump: :five: :flag: :glug:

BananaMan
09-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I honestly believe that Wynn will be starting next week. Jackson will be the 3rd down/passing back.

Jackson doesn't have anywhere near the natural running talent of Wynn.

Bretsky
09-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I honestly believe that Wynn will be starting next week. Jackson will be the 3rd down/passing back.

Jackson doesn't have anywhere near the natural running talent of Wynn.

Bananaman

Long time no see; where have ya been ? Glad to see you around

B

Joemailman
09-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Don't be such a stranger Bananaman. Your type is needed here. By the way, what's up with Carrot?

BananaMan
09-16-2007, 04:43 PM
B-

I've been around here, just haven't been posting much.

My general thoughts are this: We have a solid team. It says a lot when you win the games you're supposed to win, and it says even more when you win the games you aren't supposed to.

If the offensive line can get on track (especially with the run blocking), we have a playoff team. The defense is capable of winning us games, and the offense is capable of not losing them. Morency & Jennings will be a nice shot in the arm for the offense as well.

And since we have the youngest team in the NFL (once again), we will only get better as the season progresses. By December we should be hitting on all cylinders.

I wasn't this optimistic a few weeks ago, but 2-0 will do a lot. :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks Joe, you fruity guy. I mean, welcome back, Banana, you fruity guy!

swede
09-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Wynn...

I know a groundswell of support when I see it.

Welcome back, Banana. You're another dude with swelling support.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/8_k_SigFreudBuchach_sm.jpg

MadScientist
09-16-2007, 06:45 PM
I like Wynn as the 3rd down back. His notable runs came off of draws, not the standard blocking (not like Barry Sanders could have done anything with that blocking).

Grant looked good on the screen. Maybe there is a bit of Dorsey Levens in him.

BallHawk
09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Man, talk about jumping on the bandwagon....

I like Wynn, I do. He runs well and seems to have good vision. However, you can't just declare him the best RB after 2 good TD runs. Apart from those runs he played just as mediocre as Jackson.

I wish we would run Grant more, he sounds like a good ZBS back. Shifty, smart, and quick.

I look forward to the return of Morency. IMO, he is currently the best RB on this roster.

AtlPackFan
09-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Jackson's biggest flaw IMO is he stutter steps some when approaching the line of scrimmage instead of consistently hitting the hole hard.

What hole(s)??? All I saw was a swarm of blue shirts pushing back or streaking through a swarm of white/green shirts? How many times was a back hit in the backfield today before he really got started? I'm not defending Jackson or any of the backs for that matter but we had a pultry 80+ yards today and probably 30 of that came on Wynn's two runs. This running game better improve quickly or when we get up against a really good defense we are going to be toast.

Carolina_Packer
09-16-2007, 07:22 PM
That's strange that we are seeing something more special (at this point) from a 7th rounder, than a 2nd rounder. Jackson was supposed to have great footwork, according to the coaching staff. Perhaps it's just being out of synch with the O-line.

Honestly, I think they will all contribute, and I sure hope that one emerges as being the hoss. They are all so young, we'll see how they develop.

Maxie the Taxi
09-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Jackson's biggest flaw IMO is he stutter steps some when approaching the line of scrimmage instead of consistently hitting the hole hard.

What hole(s)??? All I saw was a swarm of blue shirts pushing back or streaking through a swarm of white/green shirts? How many times was a back hit in the backfield today before he really got started? I'm not defending Jackson or any of the backs for that matter but we had a pultry 80+ yards today and probably 30 of that came on Wynn's two runs. This running game better improve quickly or when we get up against a really good defense we are going to be toast.

As long as they keep calling rushing plays around 30 times a game, the running game will improve every Sunday.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I look forward to the return of Morency. IMO, he is currently the best RB on this roster.

It's really hard to say, and Morency hasn't played football for a long time, it may take several weeks for him to get his groove back. But I will not be surprised if he turns out to be the best.

One back will have to be inactive every week. Could we see the #1 and #2 draft picks in street clothes before the season is out?

Willard
09-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Man, talk about jumping on the bandwagon....

I like Wynn, I do. He runs well and seems to have good vision. However, you can't just declare him the best RB after 2 good TD runs. Apart from those runs he played just as mediocre as Jackson.

I wish we would run Grant more, he sounds like a good ZBS back. Shifty, smart, and quick.

I agree that a healthy Morency is a step up from Jackson and Wynn at this point in their careers. He seems to have better acceleration. I like Wynn's instincts/vision though.

Scott Campbell
09-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I think Jim Brown in his prime would have trouble running behind this line.

retailguy
09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I think Jim Brown in his prime would have trouble running behind this line.

I don't agree with much of what you post, but, BRAVO. :bclap:

The Leaper
09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Can't say that we have a single back that can carry the load. I would think we need to utilize the individual talents of each back to maximize potential at this point.

FritzDontBlitz
09-16-2007, 08:25 PM
i picked wynn on draft day to be tt's genius pick.

not pattin myself on the back, though...

i'll wait until he makes the all-rookie team. 8-)

MJZiggy
09-16-2007, 09:51 PM
i picked wynn on draft day to be tt's genius pick.

not pattin myself on the back, though...

i'll wait until he makes the all-rookie team. 8-)

So next week then... :mrgreen:

Freak Out
09-16-2007, 09:57 PM

TT drafted a career #2 in the second round? TT would never do such a thing. We have seen him play a few games with a line that has under performed...it's not like anyone else is tearing it up like the next coming of....? Levens?

Noodle
09-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I like the potential tandem of Jackson and Wynn, but no way can you really crack on Jackson. The run blocking was just pathetic. No drive, no sealing the back side, no creases, nothing.

We can't expect any human, even Favre, to keep repeating the kind of accuracy and precision short passing that No. 4 displayed today. Favre was critical in maintaining ball control, but he's going to need some help. At this point, I really don't think it's the backs. Maybe we should have burned a No. 1 pick on a stud OL.

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2007, 10:41 PM
I like the potential tandem of Jackson and Wynn, but no way can you really crack on Jackson.

It will take until midseason to sort-out the top 2 backs. The only guy we've seen enough of to make an evaluation on is Jackson.

My guess is the top two will be Wynn & Morrency. But Grant could be the best of the bunch for all we know.

I think it adds a bit of drama and interest to the beginning of the season to have this ongoing horse race among the four contenders. I suppose McCarthy could live without the drama.

Carolina_Packer
09-16-2007, 11:17 PM
So, help refresh my memory. The late season surge (hey, we've won 6 in a row, come to think of it) of last year; how did the O-line do then? Did they look like they were gelling (and I'm not trying to do the Dr. Scholl's ad on you)?

If so, how could they have regressed so badly? Is it scheme or is it the talent/inexperience?

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Not really. We struggled in the run game, and had solid pass protection--albeit with an extra blocker more times than usual. I'm disappointed in the run blocking. I expected better. The defense has been about what I expected--maybe better considering the opposition. Special teams have been better. The passing game is about what I expected. However, the run blocking has been horrible.

I keep thinking back to how much we struggled early last season. I hope this isn't a case of our OL working into form with the ZBS every year. For this year, I hope that's the case, but if it's going to take weeks before we are hitting on all cylinders every year, then it may have to go.

Badgepack
09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Our best running game is the short passing attack, if that makes any sense.

Noodle
09-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Short passing = running game does make sense, but it will be harder to pull off against a team with quicker LBs and safeties than the Giants.

The Pack's 3rd down efficiency was something around 55% today (wow!), and the vast majority of those (maybe every one) came on throws. We were throwing on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 2. It worked, but you can't expect anybody, even Favre, to be as consistently accurate as he was today.

But that's another day. Today was just a great game by Favre and a great win for the team.

MadtownPacker
09-17-2007, 02:07 AM
As long as they keep calling rushing plays around 30 times a game, the running game will improve every Sunday.M3 sticking to the run seems to be the key. Even when the run game is stalling he has stuck with it and kept a good balance.

The Leaper
09-17-2007, 08:07 AM
M3 sticking to the run seems to be the key. Even when the run game is stalling he has stuck with it and kept a good balance.

It would prove costly to maintain balance next week. As the Patriots clearly showed last night, the way to beat SD is to take to the air early and often and build a lead...because SD is a tough team to play from behind against.

Pats first drive...all pass plays, no runs...seven easy points.

If McCarthy tries to run at all against SD, the Packers will lose.

Carolina_Packer
09-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Since this is the one of the running back threads going that's getting a lot of play, I was wondering if anyone knew Morency's status? Some had him coming back against the G-men, but obviously he didn't play. When do you think we'll see him take the field, and beyond that, how many weeks (if at all) do you think it will take for him to contribute in an impactful way to the offense?

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say he will return this week but not play much. and won't be back in form for three more weeks.

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I just watched the 1st half of the game again and I'm going to watch the 2nd half tonight probably.

Anyway, upon further examination, Jackson wasn't that bad. I think he was met in the backfield twice for -5 each. That would bring his average down a little. I do think he ran worse in the 2nd half though. He seemed pretty decisive in the 1st half. It was the 2nd half that he pussy footed up to the line.

The thing that impressed me about Jackson was his knack for picking up extra yards in the open field. He had the ball a couple times in the flat and he would get 3 yards with a clever jive step and lunge. Wynn looked OK in the open field, but Jackson seemed a little better in that department.

Overall, when holes where there, Jackson hit them. He had a couiple nice 5 yd and 8 yd runs.

The line improved from last weeks pathetic showing, but they need to continue to get better. Hopefully we can be an average running team by the bye week.

A good STs, a really good defense, a good passing game and an average running game gets you in the NFC playoffs handily and might win the North. I don't see the running game ever being a strength this year, but you can see them being a missed block here or a bad cut there away from being average.

Noodle
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Interesting analysis, JH, and I agree. I think those early stuffs you identified were a big reason Jackson was a little more indecisive as the game went on. And that's my biggest worry with the run game.

The OL is so damn bad, our young 'uns aren't going to develop the confidence to cut and go. They're going to get bad habits, hesitate to hit creases because they close so quickly, and "sense" a breakdown even if the backside is clean. An experienced back would know how to weather the storm, but these kids are just getting started. I want them to get some swagger, but instead they're going to get shell-shocked.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
but instead they're going to get shell-shocked.

We got 4 backs, one for each down. they won't be out there often enough to get shell-shocked.

It's true we see a lot of running backs getting hit in the backfield. But they occasionally get some room, and we can evaluate how they do with those opportunities.

I don't think they are going to have a strong O-line this year. Just OK.

Bretsky
08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
bumperooski for old times sake; who'd have thought it would be Ryan Grant ?

Maxie the Taxi
08-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Ahem.........Apparently ME!!!!!

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8276&start=0&sid=46fd628e1cac831afe923e6d08a1595c

From Sept. 14, 2007 thread:

I'm going out on a limb...of the four mentioned I'm gonna say Grant, even though I've never seen him play.

Morency is a good back, but can't stay healthy.

Jackson is next best, but way, way too green.

Wynn has promise but he's got to prove he has heart and the right attitude.

Grant (according to everything I've heard and read) is smart, fast, big and a hardworking, solid character. Plus, if Edgar sees Dorsey in him, that's good enough for me.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2008, 12:28 AM

Ahem.........Apparently ME!!!!!

I wrote this.
:D

Am I the only one that wasn't that impressed with Wynn's run on the Favre play? It wasn't that special to me. He had an open field and a blocker in front of him. He had room on his other run too. It was a 3rd and 11 play, and he got 8 yards. He also had a false start. I thought he looked decent in the last preseason, but most people felt he should be cut after that game. He dropped a couple of balls and his stats were miserable. People are jumping on the Wynn bandwagon, but right now I still like Jackson a little more...

Ward looked like he had some talent in that last game. Bradshaw and Grant both had very good preseasons. For what it's worth, Grant was going to make the team--as the FIFTH HB... Hard to judge a guy you've never seen play before.

esoxx
08-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Eat hot death bicthzezz.....

Here's what I wrote Sept 15, 2007.

"I have a gut feeling that Ryan Grant turns out to be the saving grace of the Packers run game this year.

Get ready to be pleasantly surprised."

P.S.

Go fuck yourselves. 8-)

SnakeLH2006
08-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Thought this was current thread, and I thought this was the most retarded poll EVER till I looked at the post date.....In Grant's defense, WHO I mean WHO thought he'd get a $30 million dollar/4 year deal after one year when we drafted him? YA! I thought so...nor did I? :oops: :lol:

SkinBasket
08-24-2008, 08:54 AM
In Grant's defense, WHO I mean WHO thought he'd get a $30 million dollar/4 year deal after one year when we drafted him?

Well, no one did, because we didn't draft him.