PDA

View Full Version : "People are throwing dirt on us too early" Ted Tho

No Mo Moss
05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I just finished Listening to a nearly 1/2 hour interview with Ted Thompson on Sirius NFL Radio.

This was by far the most candid interview TT has ever done.
Here is a breakdown of the conversation he had with Adam Shine and Soloman Wilcox.

About he draft:

"If you told me we would come out of the draft with the players we did at the spots we did I would have been extremely happy prior to the draft. Now we actually got them, we're all really excited about these players. These are all tough guys who are very smart football players. That was our vision for this draft."

About trading down:

"We all thought this was a really deep draft and if the opportunity presented itself we would consider it. We were all set to take a player at 36 in the second. The phone was ringing alot. Denver called while we were on the clock at 36 so we knew we were getting 37 also. So I thought 2 good 2nds and 2 good thirds in addition to what we already had was a great deal for us so we pulled the trigger on about 5 trades in 2 and a half minutes so I have my staff to thank for that, working very hard."

About the 5th pick in the draft and Vernon Davis:

TT: "I think Mike Nolan and the 49ers got a great player in Vernon Davis."

SW:"How much discussion was there about taking him there at the 5 spot?"

TT:"Not much. I decided about three weeks prior to the draft that Hawk was our guy. I just didn't want to take any chances with that pick. We had to suffer through a 4-12 season to be in that position and I thought this was our guy. Our concern was whether or not he would be there at #5. A lot of teams were interested in him, but the way the draft developed fortunately he was there. We're real real excited about that one."

About some of the other first day picks:

"Colledge is a big brusier and very smart guy. He's projecting at OT but we think we can also move him inside to G if we want to. Really tough guy. Spitz is a really smart football guy also. He is going to start out at G. Jennings is going to be really good we believe. I'll never forget when I worked here with Jon GRuden. He always said the key thing about receivers in the west coast offense is YAC and Jennings can certainly do that. He can also make an impact on special teams. Hodge is a great player. Him and Greenway were the leaders of that Iowa defense. I don't think he ever left the field. Kirk Ferentz raved to us about the guy and his locker room presense. He's a legitimate knock you down guy. In the early 90's we used to take a QB on the second day every year and many of them are still in this league. Martin has all the ingredients to be really good in this league."

On the recoveriing RBs:

"We believe Ahman might be ready for training camp. You guys know what kind of a injury rehab guy Ahman is so he's right on track, but it was serious injury so we'll see. Same with Najeh."

On Favre holding the team hostage and making statements about his disatisfaction with offseason moves:

"He wasn't holding me hostage. We went about things same as we would have. It made for some anxious moments around here but he's back and we're glad to have him back. How does that affect Aaron's developement, Rodgers is going to be with the first offense a lot of the time. We'll dial back Favre's reps since he's a little older. One of the big reasons Mike McCarthy is here is because of his ability to coach young QBs. Rodgers s going to get plenty of snaps."

"I was in constant contact with Favr ethroughout the offseason. Thos ecomments didn't offend me or this orgnization. I'm a grown man and I've told BRett this is a big boys league and you aren't going to hurt my feelings."

On the division:

"Obviously you start by looking at the champions, Lovie smith and the bears. We play them in the opener and everyone around here is really looking forward to that game. I'm not going to go through each team and break them down for you but as far as our chances I think people are dumping dirt on us too early. Almost to a man last year people didn't have a good year. The veterans are going to need to get better. I need to do a better job. And the young guys need to contribute. We'll be a better team."

Scott Campbell
05-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow. That didn't sound like the Thompson we've come to know. It looks like he's enjoying the moment - having the draft behind him.

No Mo Moss
05-04-2006, 05:13 PM
AS:
"I've been very critical od TT and the Packers this offseason, but I think TT played that draft like a fiddle."

SW:
"Absolutely, Hodge is a great real deal pick-up. Jennings might be the best wr in this draft. VEry impressive draft by TT. You have to be impressed by him and the direction this team is going.

AS:
"Absolutely displayed his talent this past weekend."

MJZiggy
05-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Wow. It looks like he's enjoying the moment - having the draft behind him.

He deserves his moment here. He took a lot of grief this offseason and had a spectacular draft. He deserves to shine a little.

gbpackfan
05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I totally agree. TT has taken heat all offseason and he put together a kick ass week last week. Favre, C-Wood and the draft. He deserves some major "props!"

Now, I am getting greedy. I want one more offensive weapon. Then, it all depends on if our RB's can stay healthy.

Do it TT!

No Mo Moss
05-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I agree. I've always been in his corner, but it seemed that the entire city of green bay was going to show up at Lambeau with torches in hand seeking his resignation at one point.

He took a lot of grief. Not getting good enough FA last year while letting our gaurds and Sharper go. A 4-12 season. The Sherman Firing. Bates not getting the job. Mike McCarthy hired. Walker unhappy and traded. Favre taking so long.

There has been a lot of adversity for this guy and I think he goes with his gut and has made the right choices so far.

GoPackGo
05-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I totally agree. TT has taken heat all offseason and he put together a kick ass week last week. Favre, C-Wood and the draft. He deserves some major "props!"

Now, I am getting greedy. I want one more offensive weapon. Then, it all depends on if our RB's can stay healthy.

Do it TT!

Has anyone signed Stephen Davis yet?

RashanGary
05-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I cannot believe the hell-fire Thompson recieved after one year. I really believe in Thompsons strategies and thought process. He doesn't give direct info but he does give insight into his general philosophy.

Looking ahead one year, I really hope Favre comes back for one more. I think this team could send Favre out on a very good note with one more year of experience and I think Favre can work himself into good enough shape to play at a high level for 2 more years.

RashanGary
05-04-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks for the over view no mo

BooHoo
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Good reading. I am hopeful our late round picks turn out to be gems. You know we need it.

As far as TT taking heat this off-season for the 4-12 record: this is normal. He is the GM so the buck stops with him. The first losing record in years earns some negative comments.

No Mo Moss
05-04-2006, 09:00 PM
It seems that TT handled the pressure, I don't ever remember seeing him looked the least bit stressed. Sherman on the other hand you coul dread like a book. You could tell when it was getting to him.

ecwiscott
05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
[quote="No Mo Moss"]I agree. I've always been in his corner, but it seemed that the entire city of green bay was going to show up at Lambeau with torches in hand seeking his resignation at one point.

I couldn't agree more and I think some of the people on the JSonline board would have definatly shown up with torches.

Thanks for posting this thread and for your insight.

Tarlam!
05-05-2006, 12:21 AM
It is TT's job to run the team and deal with the pressure. It is the press's job to report on his progress and add commentary. It is the fan's job to be fanatical about this team!

Heading down to 1265 Lombardi with torches in hand is the fans' prerogative!

Now, we might go 4-12 again this year, but the difference will be, the fans have finally understood there is a method to TT's madness. I think we all comprehend rookies will struggle at times. But the quality of Collins's play, Murphy and Poppinga though injured, have given us reason to give TT some leeway.

It will certainly be an interesting season. The Bears clash on opening day will be significant. We may lose, just as long as we go down swinging, I will be happy.

GrnBay007
05-05-2006, 12:30 AM
I like that he said:
"The veterans are going to need to get better. I need to do a better job. And the young guys need to contribute. We'll be a better team."

He includes himself....part of the team.

RashanGary
05-05-2006, 12:33 AM
I liked that too 007....

No Mo Moss
05-05-2006, 12:50 AM
It is TT's job to run the team and deal with the pressure. It is the press's job to report on his progress and add commentary. It is the fan's job to be fanatical about this team!

Heading down to 1265 Lombardi with torches in hand is the fans' prerogative!

Now, we might go 4-12 again this year, but the difference will be, the fans have finally understood there is a method to TT's madness. I think we all comprehend rookies will struggle at times. But the quality of Collins's play, Murphy and Poppinga though injured, have given us reason to give TT some leeway.

It will certainly be an interesting season. The Bears clash on opening day will be significant. We may lose, just as long as we go down swinging, I will be happy.

We just might win too. We gave the Bears and the Vikings all they could handle last year. The Vikings beating us by only a field goal both occasions. The Bears, we gashed them on the ground with a bad line and back-up RB. Then Shermy thought Brett should throw the ball 56 times. We were one play away from victory in most of our losses. We finished the year with one of the smallest margins of loss ever. I think adding two or three playmakers will make a hell of a difference.

Tarlam!
05-05-2006, 03:03 AM
I am also optimistic. I am optimistic that Brett goes for two years longer. I think he will soon come to the conclusion the buzz in the locker from all these great rookies, the overall defense and the simplified play-calling make for an extremely attractive work environment.

I am hoping he realizes this TEAM is not far off, and that with one more draft and a couple of the right FAs, we could really challenge for the SB under his leadership in the 07/08 season.

Gimme more of that Green Juice!

Fritz
05-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been in Ted's corner since the beginning. He's a fanatic about scouting and I trust him in that area. He also handled the Favre thing as well as could be expected. No, TT hasn't been perfect - if he could've finagled a way to bring Wahle back that would have been a good move - but he's on his way to establishing himself.

Now let's see if he has the ability to recognize coaching talent as well. McCarthy is crucial. I've watched Millen in Detroit here hire the wrong coach twice so far. Most GM's don't get the chance to hire three.

packrulz
05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I like TT's drafting skills the most, he was on the phone with 6 teams & picked up 5 picks & still got the players he wanted. I also like the way he brings in undrafted FA's & obscure players you never heard of, like Gado. Very Ron Wolfish. Always seaching for talent.