PDA

View Full Version : Bedard: post game chat NYG (Cliff's replacement)

motife
09-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Q: Jeff of Tampa - Greg, How good are the Eagles and Giants? That seems to be the best way to judge a 2-0 start.

A: Greg Bedard - I think Jeff's is a good question to end on. I think the Eagles will be better than they showed and I think the Giants are exactly what they showed: good offensively and terrible on defense. 2-0 is 2-0. I wouldn't get too excited or too down. Figure it this way. You usually need nine wins to get into the playoffs. The Packers have two and need to play .500 ball over the final 14 to get into the dance. They can definitely do that. And I think this is a team that will get better the more they play. So far so good. I don't think you can ask any more at this point. Let's see what happens against one of the power from the AFC, which is clearly superior to the NFC. The Packers are as good as anybody in the NFC. Just take it week by week and this team may surprise you and me. See you around the blog.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Todd of Combined Locks - Uh...Sharper wasn't a RB. Think Brockington.

A: Greg Bedard - Maybe I misread the question, but I didn't think he was being position specific. Just the last good rookie to wear 42.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Jeff of Tampa - Greg, please read this as someone who is not speaking with a critical tone, but one who is really asking a question to learn. What has Thompson done that well? He paid for a bad safety last year. He took an injured DT (GBP's deepest position) in the first round when the team had needs elsewhere that could have been filled without reaching. Which is what he did with his second pick. He took a good but overrated and limited LB with the 5th pick the year before. He did go out and get a top notch CB and got a DT (for fair value). His offensive line is servicable, but not stellar, despite putting all the picks into it last year. He signed a mediocre DB this year and sent a 6th rounder for another mediocre back. Did I miss things? Am I expecting too much?

A: Greg Bedard - I think you are expecting too much. This team has won six straight games, is stocked with young talent and is in great salary-cap shape. Not too many teams can say all three of those things.
Q: John of Columbia City - Greg, What is it with the fans and all thier Ted T. Hatin'? The Pack has won 6 straight. Are 2-0 this year. He has built a heck of a "D" and he's got some young talent on "O". Its working folks! Its not perfect and he sure could use a few more talented young offensive players but give the guy a break. He's no idiot or we would be 0-2. Give him time. Am I right or wrong?

A: Greg Bedard - John, I'd agree with you. It's one thing to complain when your team loses, but this team has won six straight. I'd just ride the wave.
Q: Lisa Kay of Lewisville, TX - Hi Greg, So far I'd say that Bigsby is a nice step up from Manual, Bush is a step up from Dendy, and both have more upside than the players that they are replacing. Of course, both are reaping the benefits of a strong defensive front line. Regardless, how would you assess their performane and progress so far? Thanks, Lisa

A: Greg Bedard - So far so good on Bigby and Bush. This was a big test for them and they passed after a shaky first half.
Q: bruce of sylvania, ohio - Greg-Comment on the lack of discipline displayed by the Giants, who are coached by a supposed task master. Plaxico Burress ran his mouth the entire first half and didn't have the guts to stay in the game late in the fourth quarter. I hope Green Bay never employs anyone like him or Shockey>

A: Greg Bedard - Bruce, you read my mind. You can read a story on that very angle later tonight or tomorrow.
Q: Michael G Mullendore of Ellicott City, Md - Thanks for the chat and taking my question. On the play when the Giants failed to get called for delay of game when the clock ran out, I don't understand how the refs managed to nail Al Harris for PI when he was chucking the receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimage which he is allowed to do. What gives?

A: Greg Bedard - You have to remember when the clock goes to 0, it's really at 0.9, so you have a beat to get the play off. Seems the refs give leeway there. I've seen that happen a lot.
Q: Mark of Green Bay - Greg, What's the deal with Ryan punting today??? It seems as though he can punt it well in practice, but when the lights come on, he just isn't getting it done! Do you think TT and MM have something to worry about?

A: Greg Bedard - I think they might. Ryan has definitely been blow average so far. At least he can say Troy Aikman likes his build. He commented on Ryan's guns a couple times today.
Q: Cliff McCristle of Flordia - Whats the status on Bush? Looked like he took an akward step on the last defensive play should be nothing but looked like a similiar over stride that Javon took a couple of years ago that popped his ACL. I hope he is okay! Keep up the hard work

A: Greg Bedard - I talked to Bush after the game and he seemed fine to me.
Q: C'Bear of Oviedo, Fla - Greg, Wynn (our FLA boy) is showing signs of being the man to step up and be the featured back. Where is Morency at and is it possible he is injured more seriously than what we are led to believe? Should he be shelved and Pack looks to bring in a replacement?

A: Greg Bedard - He should not be shelved. He's the only back with starter-quality tools. They won't be able to find a guy to bring in until after the season. What they've got is what you're going to have.
Q: Bill Nelson of Washington, DC - I don't want to be too negative after a win, but after watching the first two games a big concern seems to be that the 2nd year lineman have regressed, and Tauscher and Clifton are starting to slip, and that is the main problem with the run game, well along with inexperienced RB's, just wondering your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - I think Senator Bill Nelson hit the nail on the head. Didn't know you were a Packers fan, Senator. Thanks for checking in.
Q: Brad of Los Angeles - Hey Greg, Is it just me, or did the running game look better than the numbers bear out? I realize Jackson only average 2 yards per carry, and that the bulk of Wynn's yardage came on one run. That said, I still had the feeling that the Packers had a much more balanced attack today. We got stuffed at the line too many times, but we also had several nice runs, some of which were drive-sustaining. Time of possession was also much improved. Your thoughts? -B

A: Greg Bedard - I will say this about the run game: it's good to see some big plays there. And that's a start. What you want to see is a few big plays sprinkled in, which the Packers had today. The next step is some consistency between the RBs and OL. Once they can do things on a consistent basis, that's when we can really start to talk about this team.
Q: Nicholas Romanov of La Mirada CA - Good win against a team that has a defense that has given up. What a great shot when Pam Oliver was talking about the lack of fire on the NYG defense and the players were shown in a stupor. 2-0 is as good as you can do, but the lack of a running game is obvious. Is that what keeps this team from being a serious contender in the miserable NFC?

A: Greg Bedard - That and consistent line play, which leads us into the next question...
Q: Thomas of Charleston SC - Wow, kind of reminded me of the 94 team? Greg, do you think we have a chance to take the division & or playoffs this year? Thanks for your hard work!! Go Pack Go!!!!

A: Greg Bedard - Not the division. The Bears are too good. This team will definitely compete for a playoff spot. It will all depend on how much the line play improves, and whether Jennings and Morency get stay in the lineup. The other thing is at just about every place except the defensive line, the Packers are very thin. Injuries could hurt this team in a hurry, if they crop up.
Q: PJ Fuller of OKC, OK - What are the chances that Alan Barbre, Juice Coston, or some other JAG replaces Daryn Colledge at LG? On a related note, it seems as though the Packers OL, as a unit, is simply not executing this zone blocking scheme. How likely are they to stick with it next year if it doesn't improve, and how much of a personnel purge would that entail?

A: Greg Bedard - Not good. I think Colledge has talent, it's just that his fundamentals aren't good. It would take more of a purge to go the other way. I'd say the zone blocking is here to stay, much to my chagrin and yours. To me, it's too much finesse in a place where there's not much room for that.
Q: Jonathan of Minneapolis - There was a pass interference call on Al Harris against Plaxico Burress when it looked as though they were not beyond the 5 yard jam zone. Al Harris ended up planting Burress on his back what looked like within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Was this a missed call? Or is there an aspect to the rule I do not understand?

A: Greg Bedard - You may have missed a part of that rule, Jonathan. You can jam all you want within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage until the ball is in the air. Once the ball is in the air, you can't touch the receiver. Harris obviously did that. It was a good call.
Q: Stephen Anthony of Btown - Greg, I know based off what they have accomplished in their careers Shocky doesnt even compare to Bubba, but I can honestly say Im glad that cancer isnt on this team. Their isnt a guy in the league I would like to see more get his bell rung then Shockey! Great win today!

A: Greg Bedard - Stephen, I think a lot of people around the league share your opinion of shockey. When the heck is he going to grow up and learn to keep his mouth shut? He kills his team week after week. Too bad. He's really good.
Q: Jef of Lake Elsinore, CA - Hi Greg: It's obvious that Wynn and Grant, at this point, are better backs than Jackson. Why is Mike sticking with BJ, who looks like he's looking for a place to fall?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't think you can fault McCarthy for starting Jackson again. Let's see what happens this week. Jackson is obviously the type of guy who needs to be brought along slowly. Just not very instinctual.
Q: Dave of Austin - Greg, as nice as it was to see the offense put big points on the board, the coaching staff just cannot be happy with the complete lack of run blocking. I know the Eagles and Giants are supposed to have good D-lines, but the ones in the NFC North aren't any worse. Unless things pick up, I suspect we'll see a lot of what we did in the second half, which is a return to the ball control passing attack of the west coast offense. But against a better set of linebackers and secondary, that isn't necessarily going to work as well as it did today. Given that this is supposed to be a question, what do you think their options are of getting a running game going? Is Morency going to be able to help?

A: Greg Bedard - I wish I had an answer for that, but I don't. But judging from Morency being shut down on Thursday after pushing it on Wednesday this week, he's obviously not close to being ready.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Greg, Glad for the win. But I was really surprised the defensive line did not put more pressure on Manning in the first half. They didn't look particulary stout against the run either early on. Did you see any reason for this?

A: Greg Bedard - I was surprised. But they got after him in the second half.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Greg, Glad for the win. But I was really surprised the defensive line did not put more pressure on Manning in the first half. They didn't look particulary stout against the run either early on. Did you see any reason for this?

A: Greg Bedard - I was surprised. But they got after him in the second half.
Q: John of Iowa City - Greg, the offense looked much better...at least with the passes. The defense did well, but was shaky at times. The special teams did well, too (tough to improve on a game like last week). But does the Pack have enough to win down their first real test in the Chargers?

A: Greg Bedard - It's a very good question, and I think we'll be exploring it all week long. All things being equal, no, I don't think the Packers can hang with the Chargers. But after opening with a physical game against the Bears, playing Sunday night across the country in what is sure to be another physical game against the Pats, and then having to drag themselves to Green Bay, I think the Packers are catching the Chargers at the perfect time and can get away without being perfect. If that makes any sense. I think it does.
Q: Steven Schaub of Phoenix Arizona - Bret Favre saved the day again. Is the defense really as good as was stated the last week? I do not think so. This was all Bret saving the day.

A: Greg Bedard - I wouldn't say Favre saved the day. This was a good game for the defense, special teams and passing game. A solid team effort. You have to be fair, Steven. This is a talented Giants team offensively. IN Manning, Burress, Toomer and Shockey, the Giants have some very talented tools in the passing game. I thought the defense gave a little bit too much respect to the Giants offense, to be honest, in the first half. They came out in the second half and really tightened things up. I would like to see more blitzing done by the Packers. But that's the way this defense goes. Bates did the same thing in Miami, and Sanders learned under him. My concern is in the second half of the season. Those defensive linemen are going to get worn down have to get all the pressures. That's why TT kept 11 on the line. They need all of them for a full season in this defense.
Q: John Brockington of La Jolla - Time to start No. 42, don't you think, Mr. Bedard? The last time a rookie RB wore that number...

A: Greg Bedard - John, that would be Darren Sharper. You trying to trip up the rookie writer? Hey, I'm quick with the media guide. Not a bad player, that Sharper.
Q: Andy of Fort Worth - Is there any chance we can pick up some offensive playmakers and better offensive linemen before the trade deadline?

A: Greg Bedard - That will help the Packers this season? There's zero chance of that. This isn't baseball.
Q: Tom of Brodhead - What did you think of DeShawn Wynn? It appeared that he had a little shake and a good burst.

A: Greg Bedard - I do think Wynn was a steal in the sixth round, but he's not a starting NFL back. He's not quick enough. Good in spurts, certainly.
Q: Newbold of STL - Greg, what do you do with the running back situation? Wynn has earned a spot in this rotation and Grant looks solid. BJ is a rookie and Im not ready to pull the plug by any means but what do you do when/if Morency comes back?

A: Greg Bedard - You read my mind, Newbold. At some point when everyone's healthy and up to speed, I think you'll see Morency as the starter, Wynn will spell him and Grant will be the third-down back. I could see Jackson as being inactive a lot. TT certainly won't cut a second-round pick.
Q: Tony M of Ashland, WI - I mentioned Deshawn Wynn last week in a question and will again. This guy seems to be able to make big plays and with such little time in training camp he's looking like he might be the guy to get the ball as far as having a RB who's making plays...your thoughts.

A: Greg Bedard - Boy there are a lot of DeShawn Wynn fans out there. I wouldn't say he makes a lot of big plays, he just took advantage of his opportunities. I'd like to see Grant mixed in more. What's going to be interesting is to see how playing time is handled once Morency comes back.
Q: monica of brookfield - Wondering if you could discuss the possibility of Mangini the Jets coach (who perviously worked with Belichick) could have know about this "spying"? The last Packer - Jets game was suspious? Maybe Mangini tipped someone off this season on his own turf???

A: Greg Bedard - He definitely knew. I doubt he tipped the Packers off. A lot of teams were suspicious about what Belichick was doing. I know that the Dolphins thought the Patriots stole their signals two years ago and used the Tom Brady audiotapes against them as revenge. There have been rumors about the Patriots going around the league for a long time.
Q: Dennis Draeger of Fargo, ND - What happened to the left guard Colledge? Costen came in for him in the second half. Was it an injury or was it performance?

A: Greg Bedard - There was a lot of switching around up front because Chad Clifton hurt an ankle at some point and that caused a lot of shifting. Palmer came in and he got hurt. Both should be fine.
Q: Jim S. of Baraboo - I caught just a few plays on the radio before getting to my TV. Larry McCarren said that Junius Coston and some other OL made contact with their opponents but just walled them off--no movement. Is this typical of what is going on during all these failed running plays?

A: Greg Bedard - That's typical of this blocking scheme, which I'm not a big fan of. I'd like to see a little more movement and misdirection in the running game with pulling guards and trap plays. You hardly see of that with the Packers.
Q: George of Chapel Hill - Greg, Good win today. The offense and Brett did alot with not alot of offensive firepower. Did Justin Harrell dress and play today? As well as the season has started, its concerning when your first round pick isn't even dressed for the game. Our D-line has been great and not an area of need. What's your opinion of the pick now?

A: Greg Bedard - For the second-straight week, the Packers' first-round draft pick was inactive. While I'm not a big fan of reaching to fill needs, I don't think it would have been a stretch to add one of the safeties that was available there. TT was love Harrell. But how he could draft him there coming off a serious injury, I'll never know.
Q: David Bykowski of Tulsa OK - Good Afternoon Greg, First a statement to all the people who were crying to have Brett Favre benched, what do you think now? Second, after watching the first 2 games what are some of your conclusions at this point?

A: Greg Bedard - I must have been in the wrong chat room last week because I don't recall anybody asking for Favre to be benched. Some conclusions: the Packers are average on offense right now and are 2-0 on the strength of defense and special teams. That could change once Jennings and Morency come back. But I would really like to see one, nasty, road-paving guard on this team. They don't have one right now.
Q: Joy Chu Matella of Mansion, Illinois - I got a beef and a question. Which is worse, our linemen or our running backs? It would seem finding linemen who can block in this scheme shouldn't be that hard to find. Yet, our guys can't master it. This win will cover up the flaws for this week, but San Diego cannot be faulted for looking past next week. Our running game stinks. Shame on TT for leaving it soooo pitiful.

A: Greg Bedard - I'd have to say they're about even. The Packers don't have a whole lot of talent at either position. Of course, we haven't seen Morency out there. Or Tony Moll on the offensive line. Those two appear to have some talent.
Q: Daren of Milwaukee - Do you think this performance markes the end of BJackson as the starter?

A: Greg Bedard - I think it should. He'd be much better as the third-down back.
Q: Matt of Chicago - Greg...continues to be too much penetration from the offensive line and there continues to be no room to run to the left side. Darryn College was taken to school again today. How long can the packers survive with this scenario?

A: Greg Bedard - The Packers may be 2-0 and should get a tired Chargers team next week, but I shutter at the thought of that Chargers defense going up against this Packers offensive line. It could get ugly.
Q: John dickmann of Bremerton, WA - I tried to watch the offensive line in the 1st half to see where the repeated breakdowns were occuring. Conston had his problems, but as a whole, where do you see the weak link(s)? Normally, I think GB has to go for a RB in next year's draft in the 1st round. Though after watching this game, maybe OL is a bigger need. What do you think, Magic 8-Ball ?

A: Greg Bedard - I'm a big believer in building up your lines and then going from there. I think the weak links are the two guard spots. But I must say, Colledge was much more sound fundamentally in the second half. Of course, after how bad he was in the first, it wasn't that hard to show improvement. He was really terrible.
Q: Jeff of Uxbridge, MA - Greg, nice job so far. Thanks for the good work. Two quick things for you, first I'm shocked at the poor play of the offensive line in the first two games, particularly in the run game. What are the chances they scrap the zone blocking scheme and go with a more traditional scheme? Second, Wynn seems to have a LOT more potential than Jackson, do you think we'll start seeing more of him?

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks for the nice comments, Jeff. Nice to hear them from a fellow native of the Commonwealth. I think you might see Wynn start against the Chargers. The coaches have to be seeing what we're seeing.
Q: Craig Danula of Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota - Obvious difference between the first half and second. Is it fair to say the play of Chad Clifton has slipped? He appeared to get beat multiple times throughout the game. The Packers O-line still did not have a good day overall.

A: Greg Bedard - It certainly looked like somebody lit a fire under the defense at halftime. They were much more physical in the second half. I thought Clifton did OK today (I'll have to watch the film to be sure). But I think you could say his play has slipped a little bit. It doesn't help that his supporting cast is less than stellar.
Q: Mark from ABQ - keeping the Packer Budha happy of Albuquerque - Greg, I wasn't able to see the game today - sounded good from the 2nd half on! Was the paucity of the Packer's running game production due more to poor line play or poor running - or both?

A: Greg Bedard - Both, but more towards poor line play. Jackson still show poor instincts but both backs often got the ball and had a huge guy (normally "blocked" by Colledge or Coston)immediately in their face.
Q: Jamie E. of Milwaukee of thee Wisconsin - Greg, what's your take on A.J. Hawk? I know he's being referred to as a star in this league, but to me, it still seems like most of his work isn't reflected on the stat sheet or in highlights. Especially in this Giants game, time and time again, I either see his number around the ball when the tackle is made, or he was in the quarterback's face at least 5 times but just missed the sack. What needs to happen in his development so he's not always a second short?

A: Greg Bedard - Jamie, to be honest, I've never been a big Hawk fan going back to college. I thought he was kind of overhyped in college. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he needs to be moved inside. Actually, he would make a great ILB in the 3-4. Not sure if he can cut it at MLB in the 4-3, but I'd like to see the Packers try that. Barnett is way to active and has become too good to waste his speeed at MLB in this defense. He'd blow things up as a will.
Q: Mike H. of Ankeny, IA - EVERYTHING else aside, Wynn needs to start. End of story. I don't need to be more than a passionate fan to see that he was a steal. Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - I've thought that from the get-go, but he did miss a ton of training camp. It's really hard to blame the coaching staff if they didn't exactly have a ton of confidence in the kid. But I definitely like him. I would, maybe before next season, like to see Wynn drop about 10 or 15 pounds. That should give him the half step of quickness he needs to really open some eyes.
Q: john of Naples, Fl. - No doubt about it, Farve is washed up. Like all of those that wrote in last week said. No one to throw too. Line soft. We really do have a lot of problems. Oh yes, Packer 2 wins 0 losses. Next

A: Greg Bedard - John, I think a few people had that opinion, but they were definitely in them minority. Favre was great today, but let's face it: that Giants secondary is terrible.
Q: Todd of Wauwatosa - I'm just curious as why you think our offensive line can protect Brett so well today, but can't seem to open up any holes for the running game... Thanks..

A: Greg Bedard - The pass protection was OK today. Not great. Decent. The Packers obviously think they are weak there because some of the things you saw today (quick drops, getting to the line quickly) was designed to keep the Giants from getting set on defense and to cover for the offensive line. The zone blocking scheme, in my opinion, works fine in pass protection but not quite as well against active fronts like the Giants have.
Q: Elvis M. Lock of Milwaukee, WI - Is it possible that our Off. line was just O.K. last year, and Ahman Green made them look good? Has Teddy T. decimated our Off. with his blunders on this side of the ball?

A: Greg Bedard - Welcome back to the post-game blog. Just got back from the locker room, saw Grey Ruegemar and his wife hug just about every Packer as they left Giants Stadium. Both Josh and Elvis start things off with the same question most packers fans are asking themselves. TT obviously has a plan. Nobody seems to know what that is outside of him. His team is 2-0 right now and scored 35 points on the road today. Maybe you guys should give him a little more time to see if his plan is genius or stupid.

swede
09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm inclined to root for Hawk but I'm getting impatient for some play that makes a difference. Bedard's answere here is from the category of good ideas that will never happen.

Q: Jamie E. of Milwaukee of thee Wisconsin - Greg, what's your take on A.J. Hawk? I know he's being referred to as a star in this league, but to me, it still seems like most of his work isn't reflected on the stat sheet or in highlights. Especially in this Giants game, time and time again, I either see his number around the ball when the tackle is made, or he was in the quarterback's face at least 5 times but just missed the sack. What needs to happen in his development so he's not always a second short?

A: Greg Bedard - Jamie, to be honest, I've never been a big Hawk fan going back to college. I thought he was kind of overhyped in college. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he needs to be moved inside. Actually, he would make a great ILB in the 3-4. Not sure if he can cut it at MLB in the 4-3, but I'd like to see the Packers try that. Barnett is way to active and has become too good to waste his speeed at MLB in this defense. He'd blow things up as a will.