PDA

View Full Version : Love the excuses

HarveyWallbangers
09-16-2007, 11:27 PM
The injury riddled Giants? They were missing Jacobs and lost their 3rd wideout, rookie Steve Smith, during the game. How is that injury riddled? Is that more injury riddled than Green Bay playing without their best RB and starting WR? From ESPN:

The Green Bay Packers got an impressive road win over the injury-riddled Giants. Surprisingly, QB Eli Manning not only played with a second-degree shoulder separation, but he delivered the ball well, for the most part. It wasn't necessarily the offense that led to the Giants' second loss, however. Instead, it was a marginal effort by the Giants defense that was costly. Head coach Tom Coughlin was willing to take some chances to try to pressure Brett Favre and slow down the Packers. They used a variety of blitz packages, but Favre was excellent at getting the ball out quickly vs. man coverage. He avoided the pressure, was patient in the pocket and got the ball in the hands of his playmakers. Wide receiver Donald Driver and tight ends Bubba Franks and Donald Lee each scored against underneath linebacker coverage that appeared to be outmanned.
-- Ken Moll, Scouts Inc.

BF4MVP
09-16-2007, 11:58 PM
If there's a way to take credit away from the Packers after a win, the national media usually finds it...

P.S. I agree..I've never thought Brandon Jacobs was anything special, and Ward filled in nicely..And it's not like Steve Smith has done anything...Manning didn't really show any ill-effects from his shoulder either.

PlantPage55
09-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Let's see...they are from New York, which is RIGHT near ESPN headquarters and every other national media outlet sucks on them, because their teams always provide them the highest fanbase.

Therefore, no credit for the little, upstart, piss-ant team from the boonies. :roll:

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Favre getting the record for most wins was about 1/2 hour into Sportcenter, after Thome's 500 HR, what a joke.

Jimx29
09-17-2007, 12:28 AM
I...Manning didn't really show any ill-effects from his shoulder either.What are you talking about? Dude has a second degree (WTF?) separated shoulder :roll:

Oh yeah.....I also have a third degree ass ache from sitting in my lazyboy all day watching football. You don't hear me whining.....

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 06:29 AM
Favre getting the record for most wins was about 1/2 hour into Sportcenter, after Thome's 500 HR, what a joke.

NFL GAMEDAY mentioned Favre after 20 secs.

PlantPage55
09-17-2007, 07:50 AM
NFL GAMEDAY mentioned Favre after 20 secs.

Probably because why would they mention Jim Thome on NFL Gameday? :lol:

TheRaven
09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
500 homers > Most wins by an NFL QB

Not that I don't love Favre has more wins than any other QB in NFL history, it just isn't considered to be a big record is all. Thome's record is completely an individual feat. Favre's is not.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:07 AM

I don't think so. 500 homers is watered down. What have we had 7 guys pass that in the last 2 years?

Zool
09-17-2007, 09:14 AM

Not that I don't love Favre has more wins than any other QB in NFL history, it just isn't considered to be a big record is all. Thome's record is completely an individual feat. Favre's is not.

But no one has EVER had as many wins. Plenty of people have hit 500.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 09:21 AM
After watching all the tv sports stuff and reading everything this morning, Favre is getting his props everywhere. It's pretty sweet reading all the love for Brett today.

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 09:29 AM
After watching all the tv sports stuff and reading everything this morning, Favre is getting his props everywhere. It's pretty sweet reading all the love for Brett today.

I was saying before the season that Brett would get more credit than he deserves this year just like he got more blame than he deserved the last couple years.

Bretts played well, but so has the team. How many years did we have WR's who would just drop the ball. If our WR's were dropping balls like in the past, Favre would never have the success.

I'm very anxious to get Jennings back. He could really open up this offense. Jones is a 4.6 guy and he got separation two weeks in a row on deep routes. Jennings runs 4.4 and runs great routes with great hands. He could open it up.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2007, 09:33 AM

I don't think so. 500 homers is watered down. What have we had 7 guys pass that in the last 2 years?
That would be 3 in the last 2 years, 5 in the last 4. Manny and Sheffield likely will top the mark themselves next season. There's only 5 guys that have a legit shot at making that mark in the next 4 years in Delgado, Chipper, Andrew Jones, Vlad and Pujols. It's going to be quite a while until anyone approaches it after Pujols makes it there. It's a fairly elite hitters group in that area, all but 2 of them are HOF (Bonds, McGwire).

I agree that 149 wins is amazing, I have to agree with Raven that 500 HR's is a better individual achievement.

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 09:44 AM
The 149 wins is a all time record, 500 HR's is like 15th best

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
The 149 wins is a all time record, 500 HR's is like 15th best

Agreed. When 12 guys in 100 years achieves it, it's impressive. When 5 more guys do it in 4 years (steroids?) and possibly 10 in 8 years, it's not nearly as impressive.

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 10:16 AM

I was saying before the season that Brett would get more credit than he deserves this year just like he got more blame than he deserved the last couple years.

Bretts played well, but so has the team. How many years did we have WR's who would just drop the ball. If our WR's were dropping balls like in the past, Favre would never have the success.

I'm very anxious to get Jennings back. He could really open up this offense. Jones is a 4.6 guy and he got separation two weeks in a row on deep routes. Jennings runs 4.4 and runs great routes with great hands. He could open it up.

JJ isa 4.6 guy but he sure plays faster. Did anyone see the highlight from Jets at Ravens game? Major dropped passes by the Jets (to tie the game) - I know for sure JJ would've had'em.

Fritz
09-17-2007, 01:42 PM
No I didn't see the Jets game, but I did see Robert Ferguson drop a very catchable ball on a big third down play.

Fergy is really not a very good receiver. I wonder if that Darrius Donovan hit messed him up.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:46 PM

Who's Favre?

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:48 PM
No I didn't see the Jets game, but I did see Robert Ferguson drop a very catchable ball on a big third down play.

Fergy is really not a very good receiver. I wonder if that Darrius Donovan hit messed him up.

What do you really think?

Yup that's right.

Patler
09-17-2007, 02:28 PM

That would be 3 in the last 2 years, 5 in the last 4. Manny and Sheffield likely will top the mark themselves next season. There's only 5 guys that have a legit shot at making that mark in the next 4 years in Delgado, Chipper, Andrew Jones, Vlad and Pujols. It's going to be quite a while until anyone approaches it after Pujols makes it there. It's a fairly elite hitters group in that area, all but 2 of them are HOF (Bonds, McGwire).

I agree that 149 wins is amazing, I have to agree with Raven that 500 HR's is a better individual achievement.

I disagree. There was a time when 40-50 home runs a year was big and 50 or more was HUGE. Ever since just before McGuire and Sosa, all of a sudden about 50/year was not that big of a deal. 30/year is not a big achievement at all any more, and if you play like that for 15-16 years you have a shot at 500. Throw in a couple big years and the time shortens dramatically. At one time 500 was a key to the HOF, it will not be in the future. Heck, even 15-16 year MLB baseball careers are more common than they used to be.

15 years as a starting QB is still a long time, and to catch Favre you have to average 10 wins per year over 15 years. Yes, a lot of it is based on your team, but the individual accomplishment of playing very well for that long in football is not insignificant.

4and12to12and4
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
I think that Favre has gotten more love than you want to admit. In fact, I think that ESPN, Madden, etc. have gotten shit on for giving him so much love, that they want to back up a bit. I have HBO and am interested in how much love Marino and Co. give him on Inside the NFL. Last week, they didn't show either of the amazing throws when he avoided sacks for completions. But ESPN was showing the Romo throw for a touchdown while he was being sacked a hundred times. I watched that live (NFL ticket) and the announcers were saying how you can tell that he has a ton of "Favre" tendencies in his movements and the way he plays and accredited it to the fact that Romo was a huge Favre fan growing up. It is amazing the similarities of the two. Their body language, just everything the way he plays is so much like Brett. It almost makes me like the Cowboys. OMG, I can't believe I just said that.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I think he used to get a lot of love, and I think he still gets a lot of love from guys like Berman and Madden. However, that's just made many others jealous. Now, he gets a lot of hate for a guy that doesn't deserve much of it. My only issue is the people that think he should have retired a couple of years ago. Do they watch the games? I'm betting most don't watch most of them. They look at his passer rating the last two years and the 4-12 season in 2005, and then he becomes an easy target. Like he's to blame for most of that. He's still a top 10 QB, top 12 at worst, in the NFL.

Cleft Crusty
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I remember when it was a huge deal that Gorge Foster was knocking out 30 or so. What was it, 29, 52, 40, and 30 HRs 1976-1979. I think he even made the cover of SI with the 40 HRs. And he was considered a GREAT power hitter. I think he ended up with less than 350 homers. I think it might be worthwhile for 'Ole Clefty to write a column about numbers and records. I think I will get most of my stats and arguments from that Deputy Nutz guy. He won't mind.

the_idle_threat
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I remember when it was a huge deal that Gorge Foster was knocking out 30 or so. What was it, 29, 52, 40, and 30 HRs 1976-1979. I think he even made the cover of SI with the 40 HRs. And he was considered a GREAT power hitter. I think he ended up with less than 350 homers. I think it might be worthwhile for 'Ole Clefty to write a column about numbers and records. I think I will get most of my stats and arguments from that Deputy Nutz guy. He won't mind.

If you're going to do it right, make sure to call him a "nobody" and a "lowlife" and a "lower primate" after you rip off his stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: