PDA

View Full Version : How to beat the Chargers

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2007, 09:39 AM
I understand we do not have the talent that the pats have, but last nights game showed that the Chargers are very beatable. If we are to beat the chargers our plan must be as follows:

1) Pass, Pass, Pass. While watching last nights game it was clear to me that the chargers defense is very good playing the run and blitzing. The pats, being the pats, knew this and attacked in the air accordingly. If we come out passing, and hopefully having another weapon in Jennings, we can break there defense and score a couple TD's. And am not saying don't run at all, but I think this is a game were you will have to set up the run with the pass.

2) On defense, stop LT period. Shadow him, put a saftey on him at all times, etc., just do whatever it takes to slow him down. There Wrs don't scare me in the least, Harris and Woodson will shut them down. Gates will be a problem and will probably get his yards, but your not going to stop everyone so we just have to make sure doesn't beat us deep.

There you go, if we do this......

Final score

Packers 20
Chargers 17

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
I hate to get my hopes up on this one, but we acctually could beat them.

I agree with you WR comment. Those guys can be shut out by Harris/Woodson.

As far as Gates is concerned, I think it will be important to be physical with him. He's a great weapon, but like Shocky or anyone else for that matter, it does wonders to light them up a couple times. Every hard hit seems to take a little bit out of a great players game.

We'll probably have to play LT similarly to how we played Westbrook. If we can keep the game close, I think we have the depth on the DLine to stay strong while the opposition wears down and we can etch out a close one in the 4th quarter.

cheesner
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
3. Hope Norv Turner remains the head coach.

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 09:50 AM
We has a slight edge on the time of possession heading into half time against the G-men. We were getting the ball at the half. I told my brother if we could get a time sustaining drive coming out of the half (even if we didn't score) that the game would be in our favor (even though we were down).

That is exactly what happened. The Giants ended up sitting on the ball for the last 5 minutes in the 4th quarter, but our team dominated the time of possession. The Giants were just wore down and couldn't do a thing in the 4th quarter while our deep Dline continued to impact the game right till the end.

I think the Packers are going to be a team that keeps it close in the 1st half and then walks away in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If we can keep it close with the Chargers, I think we have a good chance of taking it at the end of the game. As long as we're within 7 after the half and the time of possession is about even, I think our team can outlast any team in this league.

Lurker64
09-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Really, the Packers just need to worry about keeping within a score of the Chargers. Any game you're within one score of a lead or a tie, you can win. Crazy things happen, after all.

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Really, the Packers just need to worry about keeping within a score of the Chargers. Any game you're within one score of a lead or a tie, you can win. Crazy things happen, after all.

Right, but if you have a deep Dline, I think keeping it close until the 4th is that much more important. We have the depth up front to stay strong when most teams fade. I thought he had the Giants right where we wanted them even though we were down by 3.

The Chargers are a better team, but I believe the Packers are a 4th quarter team this year. More than any other team in the league, I think we're going to dominate the 4th quarter.

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Imagine that though, beating three playoff teams from a year ago in the first three games. It's a pretty exciting thought!!

Packnut
09-17-2007, 10:02 AM
The Charger's achilles heal is their secondary. I saw that last week when they allowed Grossman to go down field against them. A short quick 3 step drop pass game will move the ball against them.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Chargers just came out as a 4 point favorite. Damn, I thought it would have been 6. Look's like Vegas is starting to give us some respect. :cry:

Carolina_Packer
09-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Beyond boxing in LT, they have to create some hell for Rivers. If you saw what he did with pressure last night, he doesn't elude the rush well, holding the ball too long, and I think that's something we can exploit. LT did not have clean running lanes (we wouldn't know what that's like, huh?), and they do not appear to be getting him involved much in the passing game.

Lambeau is going to be rocking and that counts for something too. An early statement score either by the defense or a long, sustained drive against the their D would be a confidence builder for sure. Merriman is a beast, and so fast, I hope our blitz pickup is up to the task.

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 10:29 AM
The Chargers LBs are not the G-men LBs - Chargers LBs are elite. The Packers TEs will be a non factor other than help keep Favre standing. That leaves us DD & JJ in the passing game and BJ looks OK receiving out of the backfield - Mr. Hammy is not a given to be at 100% or even 75%. The run game can only get better but that's still too early - lot of work to do. Maybe after the bye!?

The Packers D should give Rivers different looks; he doesn't read well/fast enough (yet). LT is hard to contain and I don't like our D vs. the screen or a monster speedster with strength as LT - it's a miss match. LT wins 8 out 10 screens vs. our D. But hey, Chargers hired nitwit Norv Turner - so there's a chance :)

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 10:50 AM
The Chargers LBs are not the G-men LBs - Chargers LBs are elite. The Packers TEs will be a non factor other than help keep Favre standing. That leaves us DD & JJ in the passing game and BJ looks OK receiving out of the backfield - Mr. Hammy is not a given to be at 100% or even 75%. The run game can only get better but that's still too early - lot of work to do. Maybe after the bye!?

The Packers D should give Rivers different looks; he doesn't read well/fast enough (yet). LT is hard to contain and I don't like our D vs. the screen or a monster speedster with strength as LT - it's a miss match. LT wins 8 out 10 screens vs. our D. But hey, Chargers hired nitwit Norv Turner - so there's a chance :)

Westbrook is hard to contain too, but we got that done and Rivers isn't the flight risk that everyone still thought McNabb was. I also think there's a possibility of keeping Bubba back and letting Lee run a little bit.

mraynrand
09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
3. Hope Norv Turner remains the head coach.

That's the best thing the Packers have in their favor. What's up with Norvell? He was decent with a loaded roster in Dallas as an O coordinator, but when he puts on the head coach's headphones, he just sucks it up

wist43
09-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Some think that you have to stack up against Tomlinson in the passing game, but I think you need to play nickel against them a lot.

Spy Tomlinson with Bigby, Hawk, or Barnett... and scheme to hem him in. I'd rather do that and take my chances with Gates and Rivers.

On offense I think they need to have a quick rhythm passing game plan to have any chance of moving the ball effectively. If MM comes and just tries to run it down their throat - we'll be playing their game, and I'd give the Packers little chance of winning.

If MM shows a little moxie and comes out attacking thru the air, that may open up the running a bit, and ultimately give them a chance.

Tall order here for the Packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Beyond boxing in LT, they have to create some hell for Rivers. If you saw what he did with pressure last night, he doesn't elude the rush well, holding the ball too long, and I think that's something we can exploit. LT did not have clean running lanes (we wouldn't know what that's like, huh?), and they do not appear to be getting him involved much in the passing game.

Lambeau is going to be rocking and that counts for something too. An early statement score either by the defense or a long, sustained drive against the their D would be a confidence builder for sure. Merriman is a beast, and so fast, I hope our blitz pickup is up to the task.

Yes we have to pressure Rivers, but the Lbs have to be up to the task. I don't know what is wrong with Hawk but he has not been getting there when he's rushing the passer. If you blitz and still give Rivers time, Gates and LT will kill us.

Spaulding
09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Anything is obviously possible but I don't think you we continue to win games with zero running game.

I'd love to see a win here but until we shore up the offensive line play, I think against a team like Chargers the only way we win the game is with a turnover edge like we had against the Eagles.

As a betting man, I'd give the four and take the Chargers on the road. If they win, my pocket is lined and if they don't cover there's a good chance that means the Packers win and I'm sky high from them being 3-0.

Partial
09-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Chargers just came out as a 4 point favorite. Damn, I thought it would have been 6. Look's like Vegas is starting to give us some respect. :cry:

I would take the Chargers on that bet. No doubt. We will have to play an excellent game to win.

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 01:53 PM

Westbrook is hard to contain too, but we got that done and Rivers isn't the flight risk that everyone still thought McNabb was. I also think there's a possibility of keeping Bubba back and letting Lee run a little bit.

Westbrook had 20 carries for 85 yards and 6 catches for 46 yards (46,3% of Eagles offense). Westbrook was the Eagles Offense vs. Packers. McNabb was too but, and here's the key, he was held to a 45,5% comp. rate and 9 yards rushing, only 1 TD pass with 1 int...McNabb was contained and McNabb is normally a Packers killer. Westbrook did fine; as will all speed RBs with a good OL versus Packers D. LT (Westbrook etc.) is just not the Packer D cup of Thé.

Another thing; where is Hawk? I hope he shows up in week 3 and beyond. Hawk was doing great the last 10 games last season. Two weeks counting and a mere shadow of his rookie year. Should we worry?

Ballboy
09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
As poster prior said, much like Philly, use Barnett to shadow LT.

I'm not sure who is better at coverage, but wouldn't it be better to put Collins or Bigby on Gates? That would accomplish two things, one, having someone a little better at coverage than Brady on the all pro and two freeing up the LB to create pressure on Rivers and extra body to stop the run.

We can run the ball.....if you watched in the third quarter yesterday, NE ran the ball with Morris straight up the middle(Williams looked hurt with arm brace), gettting 5-7 yards at a crack. Quick dives will slow the quick LB's.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 02:12 PM
1. Kidnap L. Tomlinson.

2. Force every Charger player to read 12 hours a day. Just how scary a team we are on posts fr. all Packer forums. Maybe they will believe it and tighten up. :)

3. As soon as they get into town have Brett Favre meet then at the airport and invite them to his pad, so he can talk football to all the key players all night.

4. Force the Packer OL to watch game film of the second half of the Giant game until they really believe the fact that they can get it done. PROTECT FAVRE. Give Favre a real chance to get set and find a target.

Then suggest lesson two:

How to open a lane for a RB.

5. Remind Al Harris that it's really OK to get his feet off the ground to deflect a pass even though his wing is a tad sore.

6. Place AJ Hawk somewhere nice and safe from his wife.

7. Sign Cory Williams to an extention this week to show the team that the GM has the ability to get it done Nowwwwwww !!

GO PACK GO !!

BF4MVP
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Ever since before the season even started, I had this as my upset special. IT CAN HAPPEN!!!!!!

I just hope Tomlinson has one horrible game left in him..He's had two in the last two weeks..

oregonpackfan
09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
One big factor that aided the Packers win was a minimum of turnovers. The Packers had ZERO fumbles and just 1 INT-which should have been caught by Driver.

On the other side, the Packers had the INT by Williams and the fumble recovery on the kickoff return.

The Packers also had an improved time of possession. Having the offense on the field longer kept the defensive unit fresh.

Packers just have to get their running game gong. Though Favre was fantastic with his passing and decision-making, the Chargers' pass coverage will be greater than the Giants'.

I agree with the notion of putting Barnett, Hawk, or Bigby on Tomllinson.

Packers also need to keep penalties at a minimum. I thought there were too many coverage penalities against our defense.

Jerry Tagge
09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
How to beat the Chargers??

Just show up!!!

Packers 16-0 in 2007!!!!

Packers 844, Chargers -33.

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 03:26 PM
To start with, the Packers on defense need to play the run with a bend but don't break attitude. They should move Bigby up into the box and play eight inside. Simply man up the wide outs with Woodson and Harris, and then play the other safety over the top of Gates.

Poppinga needs to be physical on the line of scrimmage with Gates. Gates is a receiver in a tight ends body and although he has demonstrated that he can block, but he still can be warn out if you punish him at the line. This is Poppinga's only chance and the Packers only chance to contain him.

LT is still LT although he has gone against two very good defenses in the first two weeks. I have a feeling he is going to go off big against the Packers. but to shut down any running back you have to control the line of scrimmage and make the tackle the first time, you ahve to limit LT's yards after contact.

On offense the Packer have to be able to block the 3-4. they haven't shown the ability to match up against this type of defense in the past. Both in the running game and passing game the Packers are going to have to scheme with a short passing game. They need to build confidence quickly so they can't have mental mistakes like dropped passes or miscommunications on routes. I will take the 3 or 4 yard swing passes on 1st and second down but the Packers must be able to block for 3 seconds for this to happen and Favre is going to have to read coverages and watch for the zone blitz.

The Packers can swing momentum with another strong special teams performance. They have to stay aggressive and physical on the coverage teams, and sustain legal blocks during returns.

The bottom line is if the Packers play a perfect game in all three phases of the game they can win this game, but Break downs on defense and turnovers on offense will sink this team.

Final Score San Diego 27, Packers 13

[/quote]

hoosier
09-17-2007, 03:56 PM
San Diego has way more talent than GB, but against Chi and NE they weren't even close to the same team they were last year. A lot of that has to be Norv Turner. But I don't see SD moving on GB's defense the way NY did in the first half. It will be close, and maybe downright ugly.
SD 13
GB 9

MadtownPacker
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
6. Place AJ Hawk somewhere nice and safe from his wife.
Hahaha, oh shit, i wonder if that is what it is thats slowing him down?

http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/Mickey-and-Sox.jpg

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I am wondering how good the Chargers really are. They struggled to beat a bears team that looked like an average team against KC. They just got drilled against the Pats and now they have some major injury issues. Rivers looks awful from his usual bad mechanics to his decision making. LT is getting no where near enough touches on o(Norv Turner) and their WR's are pedestrian. Turner is a great assistant but as the HC, he is not very good.

CaliforniaCheez
09-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Are the Packers that good?

They won over a couple of winless teams at the bottom of the NFL.

The Chargers are a .500 team. The Bears were beating them 3-0 in the 4th quarter.

Beating the average Chargers won't prove that much.

The Packers real tests will be against the better teams during prime time.

Look at the Packers schedule. How many tough teams are on it.

If the Packers are better than beating up on winless dregs of the NFL we will find out soon enough.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Beating the average Chargers won't prove that much.

I hope this is a joke. BTW, San Diego did beat the Bears 14-3, and don't forget the goalline offsides that wasn't called. I think the three worst calls I've seen this year were that one and two in the Lions-Vikings game. There was a really bad roughing the passer penalty called against Minnesota. There was also a completion that they gave Minnesota that everybody watching knew immediately hit the ground--except for the refs and Rod Marinelli's "eye in the sky."

Merlin
09-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Shadow LT with Hawk and Shadow Gates with Barnett. Stack 5 men on the line of scrimmage, 2 LB's and play man-man coverage with one safety playing the deep ball. Rivers will be on his back and LT won't get 50 yards.

Ah if only the 5-2 defense was a viable alternative in the NFL

:)

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
I think Gates is going to be to hard to stop. The only way might be to put a corner is on him at all times because I don't think our LB's and S's are good enough. At the beginning of the season I would have said put Hawk on him, but he's been playing pretty bad in coverage the last couple games. Maybe we put Harris on him at all times and let Bush and woodson cover there WR's who haven‘t done much this season?

The most important thing on defense is to give LT his third average game in a row and hope Rivers keeps playing the way he has. If we stop LT, I will guarantee you that they will not score more than 20 points against us. And if our offense can get Jennings back and attack through the air, I think our Offense can put up 20.

run pMc
09-18-2007, 09:38 AM
SD is still getting used to Norv's playbook...the light will go on for this team. Norv likes to run the ball. You can bet they'll ram LT down GB's throat with lots of carries, especially after watching film of NYG's D.Ward ripping off a couple of long runs against the D.
I think the SD WR's and secondary are the weak links, so hopefully M3 gameplans around that. I think GB will continue to have trouble running the ball this week, but if they can pass protect that should help. I'd like to see Jennings get healthy again -- GB seems awfully thin at WR with Jennings hurt and Holiday on IR.

BTW, anyone else notice that Francies was activated off the PS and not Clowney?

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Passon offense, and stop LT.

Yes, I finally got something right in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

3-0 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

RashanGary
09-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Good call. You hit the nail on the head.