PDA

View Full Version : An Honest Bears Evaluation

Packnut
09-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I was forced to watch the whole Bears game do to the fact they were the last team in a 6 point teaser I had yesterday, (meaning I had the Bears -6), and this is an honest evaluation of what I saw.

First off, they are not getting the same kind of front four pressure that they had last season. They were forced to blitz more often and really did'nt get any kind of pressure until the end of the game and even then, the rookie QB from Bama (Huard left late in the 4th) was making them look bad. If not for a Bennet fumble at the Bears 15, KC would have scored again.

The Chiefs had a flea flicker td pass called back due to a questionable illegal shift call. Huard also underthrew a sure td that the Bears picked off.

Hester won this game for Chicago by himself. Anyone punting to him his insane. Just angle it out of bounds and make the Bears offense beat ya which leads to my next point.

The Bears offense with Grossman at QB is anemic. The Bears don't seem to have the patience to let Benson grind it out on the ground and he is'nt consistent enough to carry them. Losing Thomas Jones was a bad move on Chicago's part. Mark my words, Rexy will lose his starting job to Griese with-in the next 4 games. He threw 2 horrible picks that a high school QB would not have made. After the 2nd, the Bears faithfull let him have it. The look on his face on the sidelines was PRICELESS! He has zero confidence and if the Cowboys can pick one off early, Rex will have a looooooong night.

Stick a fork in MM cause he is done at the Bears #1 WR position. He is a non-factor in the pass game. Berrian is the only threat they have.

The Bears D while still good is no-where near last years team. Without that front four pressure, Chicago's CB's were exposed. The Packers quick rythem short passing game style that was on display against the Giants is exactly what the Bears stuggled with yesterday as the Chiefs used 3 step drops and quick slants. One KC WR dropped a short slant that would have been a sure 6.

My G&G friends, the Bears are vulnerable. Our only problem is no run game, but Chicago has quite a few glaring cracks in the armour. The only real question is when Griese takes over and how much more effective can he be? Our D is better than Chicago's and we obviously have the better QB. I would also say our WR's as a whole, get a slight edge. The x-factor will be the TE's.

The NFC North is wide open. All the predictions of it being a 1 team division are complete and utter nonsense.

RashanGary
09-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Wow, nice work, Packnut. I think you are right. The Bears are not as good as they were a year ago. They are relying on a lot of aging players. Teams like the Bears start strong and fade as their age is exposed.

I also think we have a chance at this division. Week 5 is a very big game for this Packer team. If we go into that game 3-1 and then take a chunk out of the Bears, we are going to have them reeling.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Wow, nice work, Packnut. I think you are right. The Bears are not as good as they were a year ago. They are relying on a lot of aging players. Teams like the Bears start strong and fade as their age is exposed.

I also think we have a chance at this division. Week 5 is a very big game for this Packer team. If we go into that game 3-1 and then take a chunk out of the Bears, we are going to have them reeling.

I would be SHOCKED :shock: , if we do not beat them.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 10:21 AM
when I tuned into the game, the Bears were mauling Huard yesterday. In fact, he was so beat-up, they took him out of the game.

Patler
09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
First off, they are not getting the same kind of front four pressure that they had last season. They were forced to blitz more often and really did'nt get any kind of pressure until the end of the game and even then, the rookie QB from Bama (Huard left late in the 4th) was making them look bad. If not for a Bennet fumble at the Bears 15, KC would have scored again.

The Chiefs had a flea flicker td pass called back due to a questionable illegal shift call. Huard also underthrew a sure td that the Bears picked off.

Hester won this game for Chicago by himself. Anyone punting to him his insane. Just angle it out of bounds and make the Bears offense beat ya which leads to my next point.

The Bears offense with Grossman at QB is anemic. The Bears don't seem to have the patience to let Benson grind it out on the ground and he is'nt consistent enough to carry them. Losing Thomas Jones was a bad move on Chicago's part. Mark my words, Rexy will lose his starting job to Griese with-in the next 4 games. He threw 2 horrible picks that a high school QB would not have made. After the 2nd, the Bears faithfull let him have it. The look on his face on the sidelines was PRICELESS! He has zero confidence and if the Cowboys can pick one off early, Rex will have a looooooong night.

Stick a fork in MM cause he is done at the Bears #1 WR position. He is a non-factor in the pass game. Berrian is the only threat they have.

The Bears D while still good is no-where near last years team. Without that front four pressure, Chicago's CB's were exposed. The Packers quick rythem short passing game style that was on display against the Giants is exactly what the Bears stuggled with yesterday as the Chiefs used 3 step drops and quick slants. One KC WR dropped a short slant that would have been a sure 6.

I didn't watch the game, so I am legitimately asking these questions.

1. The Bears had four sacks, two by Harris. Was this not indicative of getting good pressure? If not, why do you think not?

2. The Chiefs backs were 23/69. Total gross passing yards of 230. Net yards 281. Looks like a decent run D by the Bears, and decent overall, why do you think it wasn't?.

3. Bears D gave up one TD and just 10 points. Wasn't that a decent performance?

4. Did Hester play on offense? Did they throw to him? I see he had no receptions.

I agree, it looks like Hester on returns was their best weapon overall.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
The Bears D is not much better than ours, and I would take our offense over theres any day even without a running game. The only phase were they have a major advantage is on st. teams because of Hester. Overall we match up pretty good with them.

I agree with packnut, this is a team we can beat.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 01:44 PM

I didn't watch the game, so I am legitimately asking these questions.

1. The Bears had four sacks, two by Harris. Was this not indicative of getting good pressure? If not, why do you think not?

2. The Chiefs backs were 23/69. Total gross passing yards of 230. Net yards 281. Looks like a decent run D by the Bears, and decent overall, why do you think it wasn't?.

3. Bears D gave up one TD and just 10 points. Wasn't that a decent performance?

4. Did Hester play on offense? Did they throw to him? I see he had no receptions.

I agree, it looks like Hester on returns was their best weapon overall.

They had 2 sacks by their LB's Urlacher and Briggs. The one Harris sack came cause he grabbed Croyle's facemask and was flagged for it. 1 sack came on 2nd and ten and I believe 2 other's were 3rd and long situations.

KC could'nt run the ball against Houston either. They played LJ a lot and you can see he's rusty from no pre-season work. The Bears did'nt have to repect pass, (I mean we're talking Huard here.LOL!). Bowe is their best WR.

As I stated, a fle flicker TD was called back for illegal shift. One WR dropped a 6 yd slant that split the seam and would have went for a 60 yd td. Bennet fumbled on the Bears 15 cause he was trying to fight for extra yds in the 4th quarter. That's 21 pts the Chiefs SHOULD have scored.

Hester did play on offense but he's no threat except for quick screens.

Patler
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
As I stated, a fle flicker TD was called back for illegal shift. One WR dropped a 6 yd slant that split the seam and would have went for a 60 yd td. Bennet fumbled on the Bears 15 cause he was trying to fight for extra yds in the 4th quarter. That's 21 pts the Chiefs SHOULD have scored.

I did see the Bennett fumble, it was a good play by the defense pulling it out. Dropped passes are part of the game, and can be influenced by the defense. I think suggesting a 6 yarder would have gone the full 60 might be a bit of a reach, but I don't know for sure. A gimmick play called back because it wasn't run correctly. I'm not sure you can call those 21 points KC SHOULD have scored.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 02:20 PM

I did see the Bennett fumble, it was a good play by the defense pulling it out. Dropped passes are part of the game, and can be influenced by the defense. I think suggesting a 6 yarder would have gone the full 60 might be a bit of a reach, but I don't know for sure. A gimmick play called back because it wasn't run correctly. I'm not sure you can call those 21 points KC SHOULD have scored.

Bit of a reach? Both announcers said the same thing cause the replay showed him splitting the seam and there was NO ONE IN FRONT OF HIM. How much simpler can I put it for ya? As for the "gimmick" play, the illegal shift had nothing to do with the play or it's success. May-be you should actually watch the game before commenting cause you ain't gotta clue.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Listened to some of the afternoon radio stuff and Grossman is getting ripped. Our old buddy Yurko just ripped the Bears WR's. Good stuff!

Patler
09-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Bit of a reach? Both announcers said the same thing cause the replay showed him splitting the seam and there was NO ONE IN FRONT OF HIM. How much simpler can I put it for ya? As for the "gimmick" play, the illegal shift had nothing to do with the play or it's success. May-be you should actually watch the game before commenting cause you ain't gotta clue.

Relax, just having a discussion.

1. Tackles on plays like the dropped pass you described generally come from someone who might have an angle. You said it was a six yard pass. I have to believe there were defensive backs much deeper than that who may not have been in front of him, but might have had an angle to get him before he went 60 yards. Maybe not, but generally there is.

2. The illegal shift had nothing to do with the play? How can you be sure? Defenses read shifts and adjust coverages based on that. An illegal shift can in and of itself cause confusion to make the play succeed. Offenses stretch the limits of legality in shifts for that very purpose.

I have never been much of a believer in putting stock in scores anyone "should have had." Too much can happen before the ball crosses the goal line to think they wre really that close to a score most of the time.

Patler
09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Listened to some of the afternoon radio stuff and Grossman is getting ripped. Our old buddy Yurko just ripped the Bears WR's. Good stuff!

I have the "pleasure" of hearing Chicago radio a lot. They do like to beat up Grossman whenever they can!

4and12to12and4
09-17-2007, 04:04 PM

I have the "pleasure" of hearing Chicago radio a lot. They do like to beat up Grossman whenever they can!

I live in the Chicagoland area, and love how badly Grossman gets ripped on week in and week out. I can only imagine what Jay Mariotti would be saying if they didn't kick his ass out of Chicago for being a REAL broadcaster, and not a homer.

Look, ifs, ands, or butts, don't mean shit. He probably dropped the pass because he was afraid of getting hit. We saw some of that in the Eagles and Giants game. When an offensive player is used to getting annihalated, he tends to start swiveling his head a little early. It still is because of good defense. The Bears are no different then they have been the past four years. Great defense, great special teams, (Hester is the most electrifying player in the NFL, unfortunately), and a horrible offense. Rex Grossman is not the answer. He probably never will be. He just isn't very good. I watched the entire game, and when he passes under pressure, he's one of the worst QB's in the game. If he is given time, he has the tools to get it done, but when the defense is in his face, he loses his mind completely. You watch guys like Romo and Brees and other young QB's under the same pressure making plays. Grossman doesn't. Period.

Unfortunately, their defense is GOOD and to say ours is as good may be a bit of a reach, I think we have the POTENTIAL to be in their league, but they have done it consistently for years now. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I will admit, I love watching our defense fly around the field like wild animals, they look VERY similar to the Ravens, Bears, and Chargers. This Chargers game will be a GREAT test. The ONLY chance we have is that it is a home game. We will HAVE to win the turnover battle by at least two to beat them, IMO. By the way, not to toot my own horn, but in the Giants prediction thread, I said we'd win 28-13. Not bad, huh? I had to add that, I am very insecure, and I like to boost my own ego. :oops:

Great win for the Packers, as I went through the season schedule, I erased and erased and erased trying to predict our record, but NEVER ONCE did I have us at 2-0 against the east teams. This is unbelievable. We'll probably lose to the Chargers, but so what? The worst we can be going into week four is 2-1. This is awesome. I love watching this team, much more than when we had to outscore teams. Our defense is friggin' exciting to watch!! If we can get our running game going, "forget about it". Big if.

The Shadow
09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
The Bears are very much a beatable team.
The media 'experts' consistently ranking them around #4 fail to closely watch their games.
Throttle down their running game (1. that offensive line is really beginning to show its age now; 2 they traded away the much better Thomas Jones in lieu of Cedric Benson), apply a bit of pass rush, and invite Grossman to throw.
Now that our special teams are an asset rather than a liability, there is no compelling reason the Packers can't beat them with a solid gameplan.

packiowa
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
The Bears have 3 solid DEs and they get more pressure than GBs trio , plus they're still decent against the run.
At DT we are deeper, but Tommie Harris is the best and Walker has serious potential. Again, we're deeper, but those are two really good starters.
The teams re close at lb. Close at corner and safety.

The Bears have better special teams, but Croby could be really good.

On offense, who knows? Benson makes nobody miss and Peterson can't stop fumbling.

I don't exect to move the ball on the ground against the Bears (or Minnesota) so the games will be interesting.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
The Bears have 3 solid DEs and they get more pressure than GBs trio , plus they're still decent against the run.

I'm not so sure anymore. Ogunleye isn't what he was a few years ago. Anderson gets great pressure. Brown hasn't never really gotten huge sack numbers. Have you seen Cullen Jenkins this year? I think our three DEs could get similar pressure to those three this year.

Harris is the best DT on either team, and Chicago has two LBs that are better than our best. Their defense is still better than ours, but I think we've closed the gap immensely in all three areas.

BEARMAN
09-17-2007, 06:21 PM
The NFC North is wide open. All the predictions of it being a 1 team division are complete and utter nonsense.

Keep chugging that Kool-Aid ! :roll:

Your "D" is in NO way as powerful as Da BEARS "D" ! Our DL is better then yours, our LB'ers are better then yours, and the only place you are equal, NOT better then us is DB's.

If you were to take those rose colored glasses off you would see that Da BEARS "D" is the top two or three in the NFL. The packs "D" isn't even in the top ten ! I understand you are a homer, ok, ok, but to say the pack "D" is "better" then Da BEARS "D", you sir are nuts ! :roll:

Da BEARS will violate your pack just like our first meeting last season. :duel:

arcilite
09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
If you were to take those rose colored glasses off you would see that Da BEARS "D" is the top two or three in the NFL. The packs "D" isn't even in the top ten ! I understand you are a homer, ok, ok, but to say the pack "D" is "better" then Da BEARS "D", you sir are nuts ! :duel:

not even a top ten? Are you just saying that to troll on these boards or do you actually believe that?

BEARMAN
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't make the standings, some suposably smart guys do that. The facts maam, just the facts. :twisted: :duel:

Lurker64
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I think it's probably fair to say that the Bears team after week 2 of this year is not as good as the Bears team after week 2 of last year. Who knows what that means, though.

The Shadow
09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
At DT we are deeper, but Tommie Harris is the best and Walker has serious potential. Again, we're deeper, but those are two really good starters.
The teams re close at lb. Close at corner and safety.

The Bears have better special teams, but Croby could be really good.

On offense, who knows? Benson makes nobody miss and Peterson can't stop fumbling.

I don't exect to move the ball on the ground against the Bears (or Minnesota) so the games will be interesting.

No, Walker's ceiling was reached a while back.
He is serviceable, not special.

The Shadow
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Keep chugging that Kool-Aid ! :roll:

Your "D" is in NO way as powerful as Da BEARS "D"
Our DL is better then yours, our LB'ers are better then yours, and the only place you are equal, NOT better then us is DB's.

If you were to take those rose colored glasses off you would see that Da BEARS "D" is the top two or three in the NFL. The packs "D" isn't even in the top ten ! I understand you are a homer, ok, ok, but to say the pack "D" is "better" then Da BEARS "D", you sir are nuts ! :roll:

Until you get a quarterback the team will never make it.
You know it, we know it - so why play around? Kidding around is great, but come on!

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Wow, you just reminded me that the Bears haven't beaten the Packers in over a year.

the_idle_threat
09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Funny how he doesn't mention the second meeting last season. :lol:

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't make the standings, some suposably smart guys do that. The facts maam, just the facts. :twisted: :duel:

Standings:

Packers 2-0
Bears 1-1

So am I a smart guy?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Rex Grossman is not the answer. He probably never will be. He just isn't very good.

I agree with this. It's my hope that he keeps tantalizing Lovie with the periodic great game - playing just well enough to keep his job. I'd like him to have his great games in situations like last week, when they're likely to win anyway. That we he can continue play crappy against the better teams and take them out of games. The only thing that scares me about the Bears is that they might bench Grossman.

BEARMAN
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
If you were to take those rose colored glasses off you would see that Da BEARS "D" is the top two or three in the NFL. The packs "D" isn't even in the top ten ! I understand you are a homer, ok, ok, but to say the pack "D" is "better" then Da BEARS "D", you sir are nuts ! :duel:

not even a top ten? Are you just saying that to troll on these boards or do you actually believe that?

As of this post, on ESPN, Da BEARS "D" is ranked 7th. The packs "D" is ranked 14th. :taunt: :duel:

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 11:55 PM
In yards allowed (which by the way is ridiculous to only rank a defense by that stat), but the Bears have given up 24 points, but one game was against Kansas City, and it's really 31 points. The Bears cheated and the refs let them do it in the San Diego game. There's a big asterisk by that score. I have it as 21-3 San Diego.

Packers rank 9th in points scored--while Chicago ranks 28th.
:D

Merlin
09-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Honest assessment of the Bears?

They still suck!
:knll:

packiowa
09-18-2007, 01:02 AM
Walker still has a lot of life in him, and he looks special at times. In his first two peformances this year, Walker was disruptive. And in all honesty, the Bears D has an attitude that can inspire an underachiever like Walker.

Ogunleye and Brown have both played very well this year. On a per snap basis, I'd bet that Kampman has been the least effective of all 6 DEs (alright, KGB has been worse, but he looked alright against the Giants) when rushing the passer.

I also think that Barnett is as good as Briggs. It didn't used to be the case, but Barnett has been playing at a very high level recently.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Walker still has a lot of life in him, and he looks special at times. In his first two peformances this year, Walker was disruptive. And in all honesty, the Bears D has an attitude that can inspire an underachiever like Walker.

Ogunleye and Brown have both played very well this year. On a per snap basis, I'd bet that Kampman has been the least effective of all 6 DEs (alright, KGB has been worse, but he looked alright against the Giants) when rushing the passer.

I also think that Barnett is as good as Briggs. It didn't used to be the case, but Barnett has been playing at a very high level recently.

You saw the Eagles game, right? Kampman got excellent pressure against the Eagles. I don't think it's so much that Walker is an underachiever. He was solid in Philadelphia. He's not some superfreak athlete. He's just a good, solid DT. I think the thing with him is that he's over 30 now, and he showed some signs of slowing down in Philadelphia. The other problem is that he's not a Tank Johnson type that can plug the middle, so it may make it easier to run on the Bears. Considering their DT situation, it was an excellent pickup though.

BEARMAN
09-18-2007, 01:18 AM
You guys are making too much scence. It is funner when we are poking at one another. :duel:

Zool
09-18-2007, 07:30 AM
You guys are making too much scence. It is funner when we are poking at one another. :duel:

Fine, the word is supposedly. There's no B in the word at all.

Poke.

MJZiggy
09-18-2007, 07:42 AM

Poke.

And 'funner' isn't a word.

:wink:

packiowa
09-18-2007, 12:54 PM

You saw the Eagles game, right? Kampman got excellent pressure against the Eagles. I don't think it's so much that Walker is an underachiever. He was solid in Philadelphia. He's not some superfreak athlete. He's just a good, solid DT. I think the thing with him is that he's over 30 now, and he showed some signs of slowing down in Philadelphia. The other problem is that he's not a Tank Johnson type that can plug the middle, so it may make it easier to run on the Bears. Considering their DT situation, it was an excellent pickup though.

Jenkins got excellent pressure in the Eagles game, Kampman was decent. He wasn't nearly as good as Ogun and Anderson were that week against the Chargers.

Walker is a little small, but I don't see how Tank is a much better run stopper. Tank was always a pressure man, not too stout. Also, Walker is supposed to be freakishly strong and he's never played with this good of a front 7. They a dangerously thin at DT though.

cpk1994
09-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Poke.

niether is 'scence'.

Iron Mike
09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Poke.

niether is 'scence'.

Neither is 'niether'..... :P

MJZiggy
09-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Poor Bareman... :lol:

Iron Mike
09-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Poor Bareman... :lol:

http://sf.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/03/pwn3d.jpg

Joemailman
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
It doesn't make any scence for you peeple to make fun of Bareman for using a ward like funner. Ceese and delist.

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 08:13 PM
no wonder my mail keeps showing up at my nabor's

MJZiggy
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
At least it's your mail and not your male....

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 08:35 PM
not bad, Ziggy.

oregonpackfan
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM

Poke.

MJZiggy,

I always thought there was a little School Teacher hidden in you! :)
Now take your steel ruler and smack Bearman over the paw!

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
[ I always thought there was a little School Teacher hidden in you! :)

What a coincidence! That is the nickname Ziggy's man has for his little man.

weak

Bretsky
09-18-2007, 10:56 PM

Poke.

There are a boatload of disconbobulated posts that lack consistentspellingofwordsinthisforum.

I don't seeany realvalue in pokingfun of any postersmisspellings.

ButtoeachtheirownIguess.

GrnBay007
09-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Poke.

There are a boatload of disconbobulated posts that lack consistentspellingofwordsinthisforum.

I don't seeany realvalue in pokingfun of any postersmisspellings.

ButtoeachtheirownIguess.

Nicely stated.