PDA

View Full Version : Official Winners & Losers of Week 2

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Winners and Losers by Deputy Nutz
Packers Vs. Giants
35-13

The Packers won decidedly in the second game of the season and their sixth in a row under Mike McCarthy. They started off slow, especially on the offensive and defensive lines respectively. Offensively, the line continued its free fall in the run protection, and the defensive line failed to pressure Eli Manning in the first half of the football game. The Green Bay coaching staff on both sides of the ball did a remarkable job...

Get the REST OF THE STORY (http://packerrats.com)

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2007, 10:37 AM
that shit's old news. I already read this at packerforum.com

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Tracy White & Charlie Peprah; their names should be in bold too.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
that shit's old news. I already read this at packerforum.com

Nice!

BEARMAN
09-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Da BEARS won ! :bclap:

Hester is the MAN ! :clap:

Who said Tommie would be slow and not recovered from his injury ? Who ? Common fess up ! Well, you were WRONG ! Tommie is BACK ! Two, yes, TWO sacks ! :bump:

Da BEARS are BAAAAAACK, and looking for some cheese ! :twisted: :duel:

Zool
09-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Edit: That was too much

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Da BEARS won ! :bclap:

Hester is the MAN ! :clap:

Who said Tommie would be slow and not recovered from his injury ? Who ? Common fess up ! Well, you were WRONG ! Tommie is BACK ! Two, yes, TWO sacks ! :bump:

Da BEARS are BAAAAAACK, and looking for some cheese ! :twisted: :duel:

It was the Chiefs at home for Petes sake, let's not get too excited.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Nice job Nutz.

I see some things different than you did and I made one of my very long posts in response but it went into0 the nether. I put a ton of work into it too.

The site timed out on that post.Haha. :)

Jon Ryan did just fine. Look at the punt return average after two game for the opponents. TWO (2) lousy yards on punt returns.

Last season his average was longer and the complaints rang out. Many people here can't believe that a canadian could possible win the punting job in Green Bay of the NFL. Good GOD what a shock. :)

If the Packer Scouts got their ass's up where the air is clean then the packers would gain a lot. See we have a lot of very talented Americans in the CFL as well. The real bonus is that from an entertainment standpoint the CFL is way ahead of the NFL. It's called excitement in offense up here.

Jeee and only 3 downs. How could that be? Jusy having at you 'my fella American'. . . Packer fans. . . because of the delusions that I can't help but see at times in my Packer home.

FLASH back to 2006. What did y'all see in that Dept.? Our ST punt coverage was terrible. NOT this season to date. Rather it's very very good.

Ryan punts 39.4 Avg. Opponents 41.4 Avg. Then we gain 3.3 yards on the difference bet. us and them on punt returns. WE had a long of 15 yards and they a long of only 8.

Again FLASH back to 2006.

That DAM Canadian punter :) is doing OK as he adjusts his style to fill his coach's needs. Just like that other Canadian on our team he'll be around a long time. Bank on it because Jon Ryan is a character guy and a very fine atlete. He has done nothing but prove that in his career. :)

Funny how quick some here jump all over him. Actually quite sad. :shock:

NO.

The OL

Has given us two great quarters and bth came in the second half of the Giant game. Thye other three halves colectivel7y the OL was horrible. 5 sacks on Favre in the eagles game and our center being pushed back too often onto Favre's boottops has to stop.

We need a center with some beans in his ass. We need two players that are natural guards and the solution isn't present in eithee College or Spitz.

TT has to get busy. NOW !!

The offense overall.

PTS 25.5 (9th); YDS 291.5 (24th); PASS YDS 227.0 (13th); RUSH YDS 64.5 (30th)

It's been a long while since I have seen Favre play as well as he has this year in TC and in the first two games when given any real opportunity.

Passing Statistics

Brett Favre

80 Att; 52 Comp; 492 Yds; 65.0 % Completions; 6.1 Yds/Att; 3 TD; 2 Int.; 2.5 INT. %; 46 = long; 5 SACKS; 38 YDS. SACK LOSS; 84.0 QB Rating; (that's better or back to what his TC QB rating was this season)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Fr. another post by HarveyWallbangers:

Green Bay 35, N.Y. Giants 13:

First conclusion: Brett Favre still has it.

Yes, yes, the strength of this Packers' team is its defense, which did a nice job of preventing Eli Manning from overcoming his sore shoulder and having another prolific performance as he did in a season-opening loss to the Dallas Cowboys. But Favre's ageless throwing arm was the story, as he shredded the Giants for 286 yards and three touchdowns on the way to becoming the winningest quarterback in NFL history. It should be mentioned that the Giants' defense, as it demonstrated in Week 1, is awful. Still, Favre did what a good quarterback should do against an awful defense.

Brett Favre is definitely surprizing a lot of Packer,NFL fans and so called experts.He looked as good in that second half yesterday as I've ever seen him.

It's DAM sad he didn't have some real support this off season.

Favre is doing just what I hoped he would. He's in our GM's face.

Screw you Ted.

'' I'll somehow win the best I can without you Ted.''

Ted Thompson should get on the same page as Favre NOW because he will somehow win and go on to 2008.

Surrender Ted!! Manage the Packer team to win with the best.Brett Favre and Donald Driver and the best young bucks. Have the parts to look hard and clear on what we have on our OL.Improve the OL ASAP.

It doesn't help to just sit still.

There are Packer fans here that want him (Favre) out. Those Packer fans can go to blazes. How could you buy a better more entertaining QB for only 6-8 $Million.

Favre is worth every cent he has come to or risen to earn. He can't as a whole be replaced so let's get 100% behind this great Packer while he's still in Green Bay.

Nice games on offense for DD (again) James Jones and our TE's Lee and Franks.

Welcome back to the offense Donald Lee and Bubba Franks.

THE PACKER DEFENSE.

PTS 13.0 (7th); YDS 304.0 (15th); PASS YDS 205.5 (14th);
RUSH YDS 98.5 (13th).

OK so we are not a top TEN Defense to date looking at the first two game but we will get better.

Al Harris had an off game as I saw it but he's not 100%. he started slow last season though and I hope he gets back to where we need him soon.

AJ Hawk isn't in the game yet. He has to hbe AJ Hawk and get the motor running not being Mr. Swivel head. Screw thge sophomore jinx AJ we need you to step up and show us potential PRO Bowl talent. Too many Packer fans expect that much from AJ Hawk.He was a number 5 pick. I certainly do.

Got a hate on for Nick Barnett?

Read these stat's then and look to see how well our first round pick from last April is helping our defensive line out. Whooops. I can't find him.

Did we really need a DT anyway? I didn't think so (don't think so) won't think so.

Justin Harrell was a waisted pick and certainly not a pick we needed for this season. With the wealth we have at DT not for any season soon.

On that topic.Anyone watching the play of Cory Williams. I might remind Ted Thompson of Javon Walker. TT should sign CW ASAP. Just in case I,m correct and Justin Harrell is a bust. Forget the EGO Ted. Sign Cory Williams. Thanks TED. :)

Who's the leader on our 'D'. Well none other that the man that wanted to wants to be.

Defense Statistics

Player Tot Solo Assist Sck Fumb

Nick Barnett 20 12 8 0 0

Atari Bigby 13 8 5 0 0

A.J. Hawk 9 8 1 0 0

Nick Collins 8 8 0 0 0

Aaron Kampman 9 7 2 1 0

Cullen Jenkins 8 5 3 0 0

Ryan Pickett 6 5 1 0 0

Charles Woodson 6 5 1 0 0

Jarrett Bush 7 4 3 0 1

Brady Poppinga 5 4 1 0 0

Al Harris 4 4 0 0 0

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila 4 4 0 0 0

Corey Williams 3 3 0 2 0

Johnny Jolly 5 2 3 0 0

John Kuhn 3 2 1 0 0
Jason Hunter 2 2 0 0 0
Charlie Peprah 2 2 0 0 0
Desmond Bishop 2 2 0 0 0
Bubba Franks 1 1 0 0 0
Chad Clifton 1 1 0 0 0

Will Blackmon 1 1 0 0 0
Frank Walker 1 1 0 0 0

Tracy White 1 1 0 0 2
Donald Driver 1 1 0 0 0
Colin Cole 1 1 0 0 0

Where is DT Justin Harrell? On vacation somewhere?

TOTAL 124 95 29 3 3

OPPONENTS TOTAL 139 110 29 5 2

GO PACK GO !!

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
As a big Ryan supporter who was very hopeful after his outstanding preseason, I must say that he has been poor. He's gotten lucky because it seems like half his punts have been so short that the returner hasn't fielded the ball (well, except for the goofball in Philly who fumbled it) and the roll has given him additional yardage. He needs to turn it around.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:22 PM
As a big Ryan supporter who was very hopeful after his outstanding preseason, I must say that he has been poor. He's gotten lucky because it seems like half his punts have been so short that the returner hasn't fielded the ball (well, except for the goofball in Philly who fumbled it) and the roll has given him additional yardage. He needs to turn it around.

Tell ya what Harvey.

YOU fire Jon Ryan for a trade that I FIRE Ted Thompson. :)

Fritz
09-17-2007, 01:36 PM
"It is still to be determined whether Colledge can be a left guard; to me he still looks like a left tackle."

You've got to like the man who knows how to handle a semi-colon.

Good work.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:45 PM
"It is still to be determined whether Colledge can be a left guard; to me he still looks like a left tackle."

Good work.

I just hope that he starts to look like something even resembling a decent offensive lineman with some consistency.

Bench him to start hin up. :)

Ballboy
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Agree with most of your stuff. James Jones had secured himself as a player on this team, I think Jennings may have lost his job. I see no reason why Wynn doesn't get the start this week vs Chargers, his play on the third and long play in week one and now his overall performance in week two has earned him the chance to be the every-down back.

DC better work up some better blitz packages this week, we are gonna need them. If the likes of NYG running backs can run all over this D, what will happen when LT comes to town? The only good thing the D has going is that besides Gates, do the Chargers have any other receivers? Man up the corners on whomever, stack 9 in the box to stop LT.

Offense will be a chore, DT Williams for Chargers looked hurt against NE, he's got some brace around his left arm. Cliffy better be ready for Merriman.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Tell ya what Harvey.

I don't want to fire either. WE are 2-0. Get over it.

Partial
09-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Jennings won't lose his job.

Driver plays the flanker normally, Jennings plays the split end. Driver is the better receiver and is better at beating jams so he lines up as a back.

Right now, Driver is playing split end and Jones is playing flanker. I guess it is probably helping Jones beat press coverage, but DD is their big play receiver and he isn't the first option on these passes with Jennings out.

Once Jennings is healthy, he'll be a great #2 option, and Driver/Jennings will play the slot, Jones will play the flanker, and the other will play the split end.

With Jennings smoothness, DDs effectiveness after the catch, and JJ's physicality, that is a pretty solid 3 receiver set.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Tell ya what Harvey.

I can't do that. Too much wasn't done for our team since the culmination of 2006.

You of all posters here shouldn't believe or pose otherwise.

You are such a disappointment Harvey.

Things to do, places to go, people to see.

That's all folks. .for today. :)

GREAT PACKER win yesterday and with a little more that was what we had in this season.

BLOWN AWAY. SO very SAD !!!

Patler
09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Woody;

I know your love for Ryan is strong, but I heard a Packer reporter this morning comment that the coaches ARE concerned about Ryan's inability to do in games what he does in practice. He said from what he hears coming from the coaches they are not pleased, at all.

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Good work.

I have an editor who is very good, I can't take credit for a semi-colon. I thought my colon was fine.

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Tell ya what Harvey.

I realize that we're 2-0, but also consider that no matter what excuse you want to make for the opposition, we have won 6 IN A ROW!!!

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Tell ya what Harvey.

I realize that we're 2-0, but also consider that no matter what excuse you want to make for the opposition, we have won 6 IN A ROW!!!

The last four don't mean a dang thing anymore IMO, unless you are wanting to split up our season into a first twelve games of 4-8 and a last four of 4-0. Those four wins just resulted in us getting stuck with Harrell :lol:

Hail to the start though; haven't been 2-0 for some time now. We should enjoy the start as long as it lasts.

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Driver plays the flanker normally, Jennings plays the split end. Driver is the better receiver and is better at beating jams so he lines up as a back.

Right now, Driver is playing split end and Jones is playing flanker. I guess it is probably helping Jones beat press coverage, but DD is their big play receiver and he isn't the first option on these passes with Jennings out.

Once Jennings is healthy, he'll be a great #2 option, and Driver/Jennings will play the slot, Jones will play the flanker, and the other will play the split end.

With Jennings smoothness, DDs effectiveness after the catch, and JJ's physicality, that is a pretty solid 3 receiver set.

Comletely agree; Jennings is a more fluent route runner and is faster than Jones. Jones should be much more effective when Jennings has the 2nd best CB covering him It will be nice when that day comes

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
The bottom line is I expected the Packers to be 1-2 after this week, and that is what I predicted, regardless of this weeks outcome I was wrong. I don't see the Packers beating the Chargers, but then again I didn't see them beating the Patriots three years ago, and I didn't see them beating the Ravens 5 years ago.

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
The bottom line is I expected the Packers to be 1-2 after this week, and that is what I predicted, regardless of this weeks outcome I was wrong. I don't see the Packers beating the Chargers, but then again I didn't see them beating the Patriots three years ago, and I didn't see them beating the Ravens 5 years ago.

I'd have happily taken 2-1
I expected them to be 1-2

superfan
09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
The OL

Has given us two great quarters and bth came in the second half of the Giant game. Thye other three halves colectivel7y the OL was horrible. 5 sacks on Favre in the eagles game and our center being pushed back too often onto Favre's boottops has to stop.

We need a center with some beans in his ass. We need two players that are natural guards and the solution isn't present in eithee College or Spitz.

TT has to get busy. NOW !!

I agree that the OL has really struggled (outside of the 2nd half of the Giants game), especially with run blocking. On the bright side, we seem to be doing a little less max protect than last year, and the pass blocking has mostly held up. This week against San Diego will be a true test.

The problem with telling TT to go out and get somebody now is that there isn't anybody to get. It's one thing to lament the lack of FA signings during the offseason, but at this point the best options are going to be washed up veterans or young players with less upside than the ones that we have. And anybody that we trade for or sign would need some time to learn the system.

I would prefer that we make a commitment to the young guys that we have. It's only been two games, and they improved steadily over the course of the season last year. Here's hoping for more of the same this year.

Merlin
09-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Sorry but I am just not sold on Jennings yet. If he can't stay on the field then having 4 good games last year doesn't quite make up for the ones he is missing and the ones he played like a college kid in. I fear he has a glass jaw and with the way we like our WR's to go over the middle, I just don't see Jennings as being able to take that beating game in and game out. Jones has stepped up his game and is a solid #2. Driver on the other hand needs to catch the damn ball!

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I really don't think it matters between the second and third receiver when it comes to opportunities to catch the football and make plays. It is more of a status thing.

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't think Al Harris played very well, and I'd have left him out of the winners discussion. Didn't he get two flags and get beat badly for the TD?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Woody;

I know your love for Ryan is strong, but I heard a Packer reporter this morning comment that the coaches ARE concerned about Ryan's inability to do in games what he does in practice. He said from what he hears coming from the coaches they are not pleased, at all.

Woody needs to take off the maple leaf glasses. Ryan has to pick it up or he'll be back in the CFL.

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
GREAT PACKER win yesterday and with a little more that was what we had in this season.

BLOWN AWAY. SO very SAD !!!

Can somebody translate this for me?

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't think Al Harris played very well, and I'd have left him out of the winners discussion. Didn't he get two flags and get beat badly for the TD?

Who brought up Al Harris as a winner? His play and Woodson's play was average on Sunday.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
The problem with telling TT to go out and get somebody now is that there isn't anybody to get. It's one thing to lament the lack of FA signings during the offseason, but at this point the best options are going to be washed up veterans or young players with less upside than the ones that we have. And anybody that we trade for or sign would need some time to learn the system.

I would prefer that we make a commitment to the young guys that we have. It's only been two games, and they improved steadily over the course of the season last year. Here's hoping for more of the same this year.

Well said, sir!

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:25 PM

Who brought up Al Harris as a winner? His play and Woodson's play was average on Sunday.

Under the Team Defense sub-section in Winners you wrote "Al Harris gave up a touchdown in the second quarter to Burris, but other than that had good coverage most of the day."

I thought Al's play was a little less than avearage for him.

Patler
09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

Comletely agree; Jennings is a more fluent route runner and is faster than Jones. Jones should be much more effective when Jennings has the 2nd best CB covering him It will be nice when that day comes

If Jennings doesn't get back soon he will have to win his job back before he can lose it. He has been a nonfactor since game 5 last season. It doesn't matter how fast or fluid he is if he is on the sidelines or hampered by yet another injury. At some point they will have to plan without him.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Ryan’s struggles: Punter Jon Ryan’s poor start has the Packers concerned.

Stock suggested this offseason that Ryan convert from a three-step punter to a two-step delivery with the hope that he would be more consistent than he was last season, when he ranked ninth in the NFL in gross average (44.5 yards) but tied only for 26th in net average (35.7).

After two games, Ryan’s gross average is 39.4 yards and his net average is 38.0 yards.

“The steps aren’t getting him in trouble,” Stock said. “Lining the ball up is getting him in trouble. It’s got to be in a position where he’s going to hit it properly off his foot. You want the foot to come over the right shoulder, and he’s not going up and through it because he’s not lining it up properly. The two steps was supposed to correct the problem because he had the same problem a year ago. The two steps was supposed to help him align better.”

Ryan punted well in training camp and during the first three preseason games but has struggled since.

“He’s in a little rut, and we’re trying to help him get out of it,” Stock said. “We’re not looking for 60-yard punts and 20-yard returns. We’re looking for 40-yard punts with no return. He’s just got to get the ball up in the air.”

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Anyone think that Ted might cut Ryan just to piss Woody off?

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:40 PM

If Jennings doesn't get back soon he will have to win his job back before he can lose it. He has been a nonfactor since game 5 last season. It doesn't matter how fast or fluid he is if he is on the sidelines or hampered by yet another injury. At some point they will have to plan without him.

And I think he's just one more injury away from being tagged with the dreaded "injury prone" moniker. I like Jennings a lot, but part of being a good player is playing.

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 09:41 PM

Under the Team Defense sub-section in Winners you wrote "Al Harris gave up a touchdown in the second quarter to Burris, but other than that had good coverage most of the day."

I think Burris is a tough match up for any corner due to his height and overall size. Harris plays a physical game and that can lead to giving up a play here and a play there against a big athletic receiver. Harris had to have his hands on him otherwise he would have been beaten like a mule all day. two penalties on a guy like Burris isn't great but it isn't horrible.

Scott Campbell
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM

I think Burris is a tough match up for any corner due to his height and overall size. Harris plays a physical game and that can lead to giving up a play here and a play there against a big athletic receiver. Harris had to have his hands on him otherwise he would have been beaten like a mule all day. two penalties on a guy like Burris isn't great but it isn't horrible.

I thought Bigby's help on the TD was terrific. That ball just barely got over him. I'd be tempted to lump Bigby in with the winners.

Joemailman
09-17-2007, 09:44 PM
We need a center with some beans in his ass.

I'm not sure Brett wants to line up behind a center with beans in his ass.

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 09:48 PM

Maybe I"m wrong, but I thought he was relatively healthy in college. But I agree he needs to step up and do so fast; my hope is if he's near health he takes off next week and comes back strong the last thirteen games

SkinBasket
09-18-2007, 06:53 AM
I thought Bigby's help on the TD was terrific. That ball just barely got over him. I'd be tempted to lump Bigby in with the winners.

I actually had the opposite reaction. Atari was playing the ball, not the receiver, and he missed it. He had plenty of time to adjust and he simply missed timed his jump or thought he was more athletic than he is and couldn't jump as high as he thought he could. I thought that should have been an easy play for him to at least get a finger on it, especially facing the play.

mraynrand
09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Anyone think that Ted might cut Ryan just to piss Woody off?

I can see this happening. Ted will be thinking: "I can't understand a thing that 'Woodbuck' guy on 'Packerrats' writes, but I'll cut Ryan and piss him off." It doesn't seem far-fetched when you write it out.

MJZiggy
09-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Actually, I don't think it really matters. Buck hates TT to the degree that nothing TT does could piss him off worse than he already is...

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 09:14 AM
That was a pretty damn good throw by Manning on the Bigby play. If that ball is in any other spot, he probably doesn't complete it. It happens. Look at the long throw from Favre to Jones. The defense wasn't bad. If the threw is off a little, it gets picked. Favre threw it in his breadbasket from 40+ yards away.

SkinBasket
09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
That was a pretty damn good throw by Manning on the Bigby play. If that ball is in any other spot, he probably doesn't complete it. It happens. Look at the long throw from Favre to Jones. The defense wasn't bad. If the threw is off a little, it gets picked. Favre threw it in his breadbasket from 40+ yards away.

I don't doubt the throw. It was spot on. I'm just saying I would expect our safety to come up with a PD on that play, given how he had time and was facing the ball. I wasn't heartbroken about the defense on the play. I just wouldn't praise Bigby was all I was saying.

4and12to12and4
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM

Maybe I"m wrong, but I thought he was relatively healthy in college. But I agree he needs to step up and do so fast; my hope is if he's near health he takes off next week and comes back strong the last thirteen games

Dead on. In fact, there were articles written with him quoting why he stayed injury free due to the way he moves and adjusts his body to avoid real hard tackles. However, these are bigger, stronger defenders running after him now. Time will tell. Hamstring injurys happen all the time. But, when you're injured in both years out of college, it does start to make you wonder if we've got another Fergy on our hands. Hopefully not.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Dead on. In fact, there were articles written with him quoting why he stayed injury free due to the way he moves and adjusts his body to avoid real hard tackles. However, these are bigger, stronger defenders running after him now. Time will tell. Hamstring injurys happen all the time. But, when you're injured in both years out of college, it does start to make you wonder if we've got another Fergy on our hands. Hopefully not.

I think this is fair.

Patler
09-18-2007, 03:51 PM

I think this is fair.

Young players in all sports also have to learn that as a professional, once the season starts, you are rarely ever completely healthy. They all have to learn to play with injuries both big and small. I'm not suggesting his hamstring is one that he could play with. This very well could be the medical staff being cautious with him. However, there were comments last year that the ankle injury he had and the way he allowed it to take him out of his game was a rookie's approach to being a professional and one that he needed to learn to get beyond. Luckily, he has a great example to follow in Donald Driver. In a walking cast on Wednesday, start the game on Sunday!

Fritz
09-18-2007, 07:46 PM

I don't doubt the throw. It was spot on. I'm just saying I would expect our safety to come up with a PD on that play, given how he had time and was facing the ball. I wasn't heartbroken about the defense on the play. I just wouldn't praise Bigby was all I was saying.

Skin that is one creepy avatar.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Young players in all sports also have to learn that as a professional, once the season starts, you are rarely ever completely healthy. They all have to learn to play with injuries both big and small. I'm not suggesting his hamstring is one that he could play with.

McCarthy said this week that Jennings had a setback last week because he wasn't honest with the medical staff (pushing to play). Sounds like a guy that wants to play through injuries--like he did last year. Unfortunately, that also means that, when you do play hurt, there are times you aren't going to be near the player you'd be at 100%.

Patler
09-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Young players in all sports also have to learn that as a professional, once the season starts, you are rarely ever completely healthy. They all have to learn to play with injuries both big and small. I'm not suggesting his hamstring is one that he could play with.

McCarthy said this week that Jennings had a setback last week because he wasn't honest with the medical staff (pushing to play). Sounds like a guy that wants to play through injuries--like he did last year. Unfortunately, that also means that, when you do play hurt, there are times you aren't going to be near the player you'd be at 100%.

Yes, he played last year, but I remember a comment from one of the coaches after the season that implied Jennings let the injury bother him too much. He let it change the way he played. It was sort of a "He needs to toughen up" type of comment.

That was the point I was trying to make. It's one thing to be on the field. It's another to play well, even when injured. Jennings played, but he did not necessarily play well the last 10 games or so last year.

The real test is not whether he wants to play, or even whether he actually does play. The test is whether he plays just as well when injured (or at least as well as the injury will allow). Jennings did not show that last year, at least based on the comment I read from one of the coaches.

Fritz
09-19-2007, 05:36 AM
I really liked what Jennings flashed at the beginning of last year, and so I am concerned that he cannot seem to stay on the field. I am reluctantly okay with him sitting out one more week if it means he's going to be back afterward and up to snuff, but I am concerned with this issue of his health.

Having him, Driver, and Jones in the lineup at the same time might actually create some matchup problems for other teams.

LaFours
09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Way to go Nutz! Looks like you ripped this stuff off of some dude on another forum.

:wink:

Joemailman
09-19-2007, 02:53 PM

According to Leroy Butler, Packers were in "Quarters" coverage, so Burris was Bigby's man to cover:

A: This is real easy. Quarters coverage is if you take the football field and split it into four quarters. Both cornerbacks have the outside quarters of the field and cover the two wide receivers. The two safeties are 8 to 12 yards deep. It's four across the board. I'll cover the guy who comes in my quarters you cover the guy in your quarters. For example, the Packers were in a quarters coverage when Plaxico Burress scored on that post route. He got behind Atari Bigby. He has to play deep to short. Everybody has a quarter and if Plaxico had gone back out to the corner it would have been the cornerback's man, Al Harris. But he was throwing it to Bigby's quarter. That's not on Al Harris, it's on the safety. There should be no deep passes completed in quarters coverage. Everything should be in front of you.