PDA

View Full Version : Whooooppppeeeee!!!!!

packinpatland
09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Don't know if anyone has posted this already, but Peter Kings says:

8. I think, with San Diego (home) and Minnesota (road) upcoming, it looks like Favre might pass Marino during the Sunday-night home game with the Bears on Oct. 7. What a stage. Break out the Leinenkugel that night, boys. He's four touchdown passes away from breaking Marino's record of 420 career scoring passes.

Would that be the best thing ever or what?????? :wow:

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
That would be the best thing ever!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-17-2007, 11:44 AM
I hope he breaks it next week.

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I Favre doesn't break the record until the Bears game, the Packers are not looking to good the next couple games.

packinpatland
09-17-2007, 12:17 PM
"If Favre doesn't break the record until the Bears game, the Packers are not looking to good the next couple games."

"I hope he breaks it next week."

You both are right...............I was thinking selfishly.........still would be cool tho. :wink:

Patler
09-17-2007, 12:17 PM
I Favre doesn't break the record until the Bears game, the Packers are not looking to good the next couple games.

Why? How many did he throw in the 5 wins previous to yesterday? A grand total of 3, two against SF, none against Detroit or Minnesota and one against Chicago last year; then none against Philadelphia this year.

If he throws two each of the next two weeks, I like the Packers chances, and he still wouldn't break the record until the Bears game.

Any week that Favre throws for two, if the running game, special teams or the defense scores one, or Crosby kicks a FG or two, the Packers should have a chance to win.

mngolf19
09-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Either way, I could see him break it at Vikes. Teams are just going to give up on the run against them and throw 50+ times. :( He could break 2 records that game.

Badgepack
09-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Why? How many did he throw in the 5 wins previous to yesterday? A grand total of 3, two against SF, none against Detroit or Minnesota and one against Chicago last year; then none against Philadelphia this year.

If he throws two each of the next two weeks, I like the Packers chances, and he still wouldn't break the record until the Bears game.

Any week that Favre throws for two, if the running game, special teams or the defense scores one, or Crosby kicks a FG or two, the Packers should have a chance to win.

Darn it Patler, don't be throwing stats and logic at me when I'm just shooting stuff off the top of my head. :D

Patler
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Actually, I was wrong. If he throws two each of the next two weeks he will break the record. 3 to tie, 4 to break the record, right?

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Either way, I could see him break it at Vikes. Teams are just going to give up on the run against them and throw 50+ times. :( He could break 2 records that game.

As long as he gets to 16-14 (and 17-14 later in the year) against the Vikes, I'm fine with that. It's inevitably going to happen. Fortunately, his W/L record against them has turned around nicely late in his career. Hopefully, he can get his 4th win in his last 5 games at Metrodome.

mngolf19
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I'll be interested to see if Packers go with a 4 wide spread against MN. That ought to be interesting. Can the Packers do it?

Patler
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Lots of possible new Favre records on the immediate horizon:

Next week he will tie Tinglehoff for #2 in consecutive starts;
God willing in two weeks he becomes #2 in starts;
Attempts - probably two more games;
TDs - within 2-3 games hopefully; and

Interceptions :(

Hopefully the TD record falls before the one for interceptions

Realistically he could set three records against the Vikings, attempts, TDs and interceptions. He would also pass a Viking to be #2 in consecutive starts to another Viking (Jim Marshall) who is #1.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I'll be interested to see if Packers go with a 4 wide spread against MN. That ought to be interesting. Can the Packers do it?

Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Ruvell Martin

Green Bay sometimes put a TE, notably Donald Lee, out wide in the 4-wide sets.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
The interception record will be downplayed by the media. They'll just praise him for being a gunslinger anyway.

Patler
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Once you get into the stratosphere of the QB records for attempts, where Favre and Marino are, you have to have been a successful quarterback for a long long time. As such, the records for completions, touchdowns and even interceptions will also be within reach. It's not surprising that all of the records are falling at about the same time.

People forget that Marino had 252 interceptions, about 1.5 per year fewer than Favre.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM

I wanted him to break it yesterday. :)

mmmdk
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Amen but my bet is that it happens at the Metro.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Once you get into the stratosphere of the QB records for attempts, where Favre and Marino are, you have to have been a successful quarterback for a long long time. As such, the records for completions, touchdowns and even interceptions will also be within reach. It's not surprising that all of the records are falling at about the same time.

People forget that Marino had 252 interceptions, about 1.5 per year fewer than Favre.

An illustration of ?:

''Every man leaving two drops of piss in his drawers while having a leek.''

but. . BUT. . BUTT.

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2007, 03:02 PM

An illustration of ?:

but. . BUT. . BUTT.
What in the blue hell does that mean?

Patler
09-17-2007, 03:19 PM

An illustration of ?:

but. . BUT. . BUTT.

I was afraid to ask!!

Green Bud Packer
09-17-2007, 03:32 PM
If Favre gets this team to the playoffs and can win a super bowl in the next three years he will almost assuredly be proclaimed the greatest yet.

Woodbuck must be into the Canadian whiskey. Again.

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 04:01 PM

An illustration of ?:

but. . BUT. . BUTT.

I was afraid to ask!!

As the person who does the laundry at my house, I am now a bit uneasy...

swede
09-17-2007, 04:04 PM

An illustration of ?:

but. . BUT. . BUTT.

I was afraid to ask!!

"Eric! I need a price check on Peeny Pads! They're next to the Depends!"

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 04:20 PM
That's it!! I'm no longer doing laundry for the males in this house!!! They're on their own!!!!

Cheesehead Craig
09-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Woodbuck has put a few headscratching posts on here before, but this one takes the cake. I gotta hear an explanation on what this means.

mraynrand
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Woodbuck has put a few headscratching posts on here before, but this one takes the cake. I gotta hear an explanation on what this means.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't about headscratching...OR WAS IT!!!????

BallHawk
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I think he'll break it in Minny.

I hope he breaks it at home, though. Doing it against the Bears would be that much sweeter.

Who knows, maybe a running game will develop and he won't have to throw so much the next two weeks. :D

Noodle
09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Regarding the Marino-Favre debate, there's an interesting aricle here [/http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/wordpress/?p=252]

I don't agree with the conclusion, as the guy favors Marino, a little, but the stats crunching is interesting (or at least Patler may find it so).

oregonpackfan
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
That's it!! I'm no longer doing laundry for the males in this house!!! They're on their own!!!!

As the man who does the laundry in the house with a wife and two daughters, I get PO'd when they don't pick up their air-dried bras!

Yes, they don't want the bras in the drier so I hang them on the knobs of the shelf doors of the utility room to air dry. The next day the bras are still hanging there!

It's up to me to either nag to the double X chromosome members of the house or try to sort them out and put them away--yes, all three females have different cup sizes!

A man's work around the house is never done... :(

MJZiggy
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Think of it this way, OPF, at least you can tell which chromosome to send to the laundry room...

cheesner
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM

An illustration of ?:

but. . BUT. . BUTT.

I was afraid to ask!!

"Eric! I need a price check on Peeny Pads! They're next to the Depends!"
Okay. I am going to take a crack at this.

'Every man leaving two drops of piss in his drawers while having a leek.''

The leek is the loosing of the ball on the turnover (I think his comment was generated from the intereception total statistic ie: there is a little bad in the good). Therefore, 'the man' in the analogy represents all of mankind. The drawers cover a man's privates - therefore it represents sheltering our personal areas, or, that is to say the facades we erect to hide our inner thoughts and emotions. The two drops is significant in that it is one short of 3, which is generally considered lucky. So mankind is short of being lucky, in that we are 'turning over' our fate to the self-actualizing realities of our inconsistent delusions of grandeur thereby negating our inner-selves in the complex under-comprehension regarding the espousing of our own inadequacies.

That is to say, even though Farve is great, but he sometimes throws interceptions.

or maybe when Woodbucket is drunk he has a bladder control issue.

gbgary
09-17-2007, 09:09 PM

8. I think, with San Diego (home) and Minnesota (road) upcoming, it looks like Favre might pass Marino during the Sunday-night home game with the Bears on Oct. 7. What a stage. Break out the Leinenkugel that night, boys. He's four touchdown passes away from breaking Marino's record of 420 career scoring passes.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/images/smilies/tapedshut.gif

Patler
09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Regarding the Marino-Favre debate, there's an interesting aricle here [/http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/wordpress/?p=252]

I don't agree with the conclusion, as the guy favors Marino, a little, but the stats crunching is interesting (or at least Patler may find it so).

I wonder if the writer is old enough to have watched Marino. Marino had virtually no mobility his entire career. His line was selected with the whole purpose of keeping him protected. That's one reason they mostly struggled at running the ball in his career. They had to pick linemen for pass blocking ability because Marino was so vulnerable. As a result, the offense centered completely around him. The Dolphins won or lost based on his arm. To suggest that he had any elusiveness that impacted his sack total is just not accurate. What he did have was an amazingly quick release that allowed him to get passes away when the pocket collapsed.

The writer missed the point about the receivers. I think the biggest handicap Favre has had is not that he hasn't had some good ones, he has. But for one reason or another he has not had any stay and be effective for a long period of time. Every few years it has been new ones. Driver is the only one he has really had long enough to develop a real relationship with, to the point that they improvise in the same way.

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Patler great points, Marino's best lineman was Dwight Stephenson who played C but injuries cut his career short. Walker was probably the second best in regards to talent that Brett ever had behind SS.

oregonpackfan
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Patler is correct that Marino had an amazingly quick release with his passes.

Even more important than his release, Marino had an uncanny quick ability to assess coverage once the ball was snapped, assess who was the open receiver, and THEN pass the ball with his quick release.

No one did that better, even Unitas, Starr or Montana, IMO.

packinpatland
09-17-2007, 09:56 PM

gbgary, I'm confused..............what is it you're trying to say?

gbgary
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM

gbgary, I'm confused..............what is it you're trying to say?

i'm normally not a superstitious person but we're "counting our eggs before they're hatched" and all the talk is making me nervous.