PDA

View Full Version : Defensive evaluations

packiowa
09-17-2007, 01:40 PM
This defense is cleary better than that from last year. Here is what I see:

Johnny Jolly looks to me like our best DT. He seemed just as stout as Pickett in both games and gets a better pass rush. Cole is kinda left out of the mix, since he's not really a third down player, but he gives guys a rest. Williams is much better in his new role. KGB played a really nice game against the Giants (the previous week he was not effective). Meanwhile, Hawk played his second straight unimpressive game.

I think Jolly is the key. Sure, Jenkins at end is a big help, and a DT rotation of Williams and Jenkins can get pressure on passing downs, but Jolly has been really good (not Tommie Harris or K. Wiliams good, though).

Fritz
09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
What's up with Hawk? He's Mr. Invivible.

Maybe he was better when he was single.

Packnut
09-17-2007, 01:50 PM

He sure was MIA yesterday. May-be we all annointed him all-pro way to soon.........

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:50 PM

Yup.

He's got to get off the tail detail starting thursday night.

Someone pass that along to the wife.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 01:52 PM

He sure was MIA yesterday. May-be we all annointed him all-pro way to soon.........

Did the Packer coach's forget to wind him up just before game time?

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Barnett and Hawk both suck.

woodbuck27
09-17-2007, 02:01 PM

NO and Harvey:

What was the scoop on that little Coach Mike McCarthy slam on Favre in practise last week sometime I concuded (assumed) ??

RE: Favre erercising (warming up) and when and with whom.

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Maybe we all are :lol:

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I thought all the linebackers played bellow their expectations and skill set. Hawk is just pressing too much.

Some things that have bothered me with the play of the linebackers which might lead to coaching mistakes was for the second consecutive week I saw several plays where the linebackers took on blockers with their outside arm allowing the blockers to block them in to the pursuit of the defense.

It honestly goes back to simple coaching that we all learned in high school.
Pursuit usually comes from the back side so keep your outside arm free and leverage for you to contain the play. 90% of the time if the linebacker takes on blockers with his inside flipper he is going to become a road block for the rest of his teammates.

packiowa
09-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Nah, Barnett is attacking the ballmuch more effectively than he used to. It used to be rare that he would step up in the right hole and stone someone. Now, he does it often. It's Hawk that is playing tentative and dancing around. You know, like Barnett used to do. The few plays a game that Hawk really messes up aren't even the problem, it's that he only seems effective in coverage (he seems pretty solid there but it's hard to tell) and on the occassional blitz.

You can't grade dbs from television angles, but Bigby sure seems to be in the picture a lot. I just wish he didn't tackle so high.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't know how anybody can feel like they can judge a LB from the TV broadcast. We don't see them in coverage. It's not like Hawk has blitzed a lot. He doesn't have a sack, but I remember him getting pressure a couple of times and he even got a holding call on one of them. He's also had solid coverage on the plays I've seen (the PI notwithstanding). It's not like TEs or RBs are abusing him. Brian Westbrook is going to make people miss in the open field. Jeremy Shockey is going to beat LBs at times. Is he playing great? Probably not, but I doubt he's playing poorly. Has he made any big plays? No, but I don't know how many opportunities he's getting to make them. I'm pretty happy with the defense. 26 points to two good offenses--without any glaring weaknesses. Guys make mistakes. Kampman jumped offsides and played a couple of runs poorly. Harris has been beaten a couple of times. Bigby and Collins have misjudged balls. Woodson has a couple of weak tackle attempts. Big deal. Defense is playing well, and I don't see any reason to complain just to complain. If Barnett has a standout statistical year and Hawk has quiet statistical year but the Packers allow only 13 points/game, I'll be very happy.

I'm sure Hawk will get his chances when the Packers aren't facing teams with TEs like Smith and Shockey and pass catching RBs like Westbrook and even that little jitterbug the Giants had. Considering those guys didn't really go off on us, I'd think the LBs are doing a pretty damn good job in coverage, and that might be where they were needed most the first two weeks.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 04:57 PM

Nah, Barnett is attacking the ballmuch more effectively than he used to. It used to be rare that he would step up in the right hole and stone someone. Now, he does it often. It's Hawk that is playing tentative and dancing around. You know, like Barnett used to do. The few plays a game that Hawk really messes up aren't even the problem, it's that he only seems effective in coverage (he seems pretty solid there but it's hard to tell) and on the occassional blitz.

You can't grade dbs from television angles, but Bigby sure seems to be in the picture a lot. I just wish he didn't tackle so high.

I also know this: not to take anything away from him because I think he has a shot at being solid, but I watched Chad Greenway struggle in coverage this week against Detroit. He wasn't atrocious from what I could tell, and I only bring him up because the two Packers games and this last Vikings game are the only ones I've really gotten to watch. He'll get better, but our LBs haven't had the same problems in coverage. That to me tells me that they are doing something right.

Merlin
09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
If Barnett has a standout statistical year and Hawk has quiet statistical year but the Packers allow only 13 points/game, I'll be very happy.

Um, Barnett has had stand out statistical years. The only year he didn't lead the team in tackles was 2006. I haven't checked but he has got to either be the leader or damn close so far this season. You can match those years up with Urlacher if you like. I assume you believe Urlacher is the real deal. They both play in the same division, against the same teams (accept for a few opponents each year) and their stats are very similar. But Barnett sucks right?

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
But Barnett sucks right?

Well, I figured I had enough posts that people might know that it was sarcasm. I defended Barnett against all the Barnett haters for many years. I see a new villain in their scopes, and he is Hawk. Apparently, somebody has to be a scapegoat--even if your defense rocks.

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Hawk doesn't suck but his best attribute is blitzing imo. he is woeful in coverage and he has had some whiffs in the openfield. In order for this team to beat the bolts on Sunday, all three LB's are going to need to play at the level Nick has been playing at. hawk does need to start making plays but so does Collins and Woody needs to pick his game up also.

Joemailman
09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
But Barnett sucks right?

Well, I figured I had enough posts that people might know that it was sarcasm.

Emoticons Harvey, Emoticons. :mrgreen:

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
One more thing, the defense needs to be called more aggressively. When your playing a QB with an injured shoulder, hit him as much as possible and as soon as possible. We need to develop a swagger on D ansd these guys need to realize that they are good and they need to dominate from the get go.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:26 PM
I like the way this defense hits. Jenkins, Hawk, Barnett, Bigby, Collins all seem like they want to hurt somebody out there. Woodson is off to a bit of a slow start--like last year. We have some guys that play mean, and I like that.

The Shadow
09-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Hawk will be fine.
One of the marks of a winning team is that different players step up in different games.
If he can contribute to keeping LT in check, it's all good.

Joemailman
09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I like the way this defense hits. Jenkins, Hawk, Barnett, Bigby, Collins all seem like they want to hurt somebody out there. Woodson is off to a bit of a slow start--like last year. We have some guys that play mean, and I like that.

Yep. That drop by Shockey near the goalline was influenced by the Packer's physical play. Bigby and Hawk are going to intimidate a lot of receivers this year.

Merlin
09-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Sorry Harv. I am a staunch Barnett backer. Hawk will come along just like Barnett did. He is suffering the same way Barnett did, over pursuing, etc. He isn't woeful in coverage and if he doesn't blitz from the outside, he sucks at it because he isn't big enough to take on the OL (Same for Barnett, Urlacher, et al.).

A year ago I defended Barnett come hell or high water. Everyone said Hawk was the better LB and that Hodge would push Barnett over. I said Hawk and Barnett are cut from the same mold and that Hawk will have the same learning curve as Barnett. Who would have thought that I was right. Wait it was me wasn't it? I don't see any of those people jumping on the Barnett wagon but I do see them looking for a scape goat.