PDA

View Full Version : Chad Clifton

Joemailman
09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
A number of people here have stated that Chad Clifton seems to be an ill fit for the blocking scheme the Packers use. Nutz had this to say in his Winners/Losers Thread:

It is still to be determined whether Colledge can be a left guard; to me he still looks like a left tackle. Clifton and Mark Tauscher gave up plays in both the running game and passing game, but at least Tauscher got better as the game went on. Clifton simply doesn’t fit the zone blocking scheme and his pass protection has slipped in the last two games.

It has me wondering if this could be Clifton's last year in a Packer uniform. I don't think TT would release him outright, and you don't bench a guy like him, but there could be teams who don't primarily use zone blocking who would be willing to trade for a veteran LT. This would create a situation where Colledge would move to LT and Barbre would take over at LG.

As far as the salary cap goes the effect would be negligible. Clifton has about 3.3 mil of his signing bonus left, which is about what his bae salary is. Clifton's contract runs through 2009, and his total cap number this year is about 6 million. That is a lot of money if he is no longer getting the job done, especially in the running game.

BallHawk
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I do think that this is Clifton's last year in Green Bay. He just isn't fit for the scheme.

Patler
09-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Clifton was never great as a run blocker. Year after year under Sherman their goal was to make Clifton a better run blocker.

Clifton is there for one reason, to protect Favre's blind side. As long as Favre is there, Clifton will remain if he is better at that than anyone else on the roster. If he isn't he will be replaced. Run blocking won't be a big factor, in my opinion.

Lurker64
09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Clifton was never great as a run blocker. Year after year under Sherman their goal was to make Clifton a better run blocker.

Clifton is there for one reason, to protect Favre's blind side. As long as Favre is there, Clifton will remain if he is better at that than anyone else on the roster. If he isn't he will be replaced. Run blocking won't be a big factor, in my opinion.

Exactly, Clifton plays for Green Bay as long as Favre does or until someone else comes along and is better able to pass protect at Left Tackle.

ND72
09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Clifton is not a good fit for the scheme. He has never been the best run blocker, but has been more successful in a power running straight ahead scheme. Clifton is a very gifted athlete, so he makes up with his lack of some skill with just his athletic ability...but he has been struggling more and more every year. I have been very disappointed in both Clifton & Tauscher. I'm not a big fan of Spitz, I thought he deteriated a lot last season, and didn't show much during hte preseason, and Junius got bullrushed like mad on sunday, so I still don't think we have a true Guard on the right side, and I think Colledge is still a Left tackle.

Deputy Nutz
09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
My issue with Clifton has never been his run blocking. This season he just isn't moving his feet as well as he used to and at he seems to be standing straight up at times in pass pro.

Clifton has never been one that has been the most dedicated linemen on the team. I am not saying he is lazy he just has always relied more on his talent than his work ethic. Maybe this is a wake up call to Clifton that he can't just get by anymore on his talent, the game catches up to you after all those years and if you don't consistently condition your body to prepare for the 17 week beating then you get old before your time.

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Clifton will be the LT on this team next year--if he's healthy. You don't give up LTs that can pass protect like him. It's hard to find guys like that. Favre's been fortunate to not have to worry about his blindside for the last 8 years.

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:26 PM
As ND noted, both our vet OT's are playing under the level that they should be at. I know both REN'T SUITED TO THE CURRENT SCHEME WE ARE USING BUT THEIR PASS sets aren't very good at all. Cliffy has never been the same since Sapp knocked him on his butt.

CaliforniaCheez
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
For Clifton, Sunday was a great game. No false start penalties.

Brohm
09-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Heard Clifton is day to day with an ankle sprain (afternoon WSSP).

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 12:27 AM
If you look at their depth chart, they have a TOTAL of 3 injury-free offensive linemen. And then 3 guys who you hope can play. And that's it! They are really vulnerable.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Go watch the Brett Favre highlights on nfl.com and watch Clifton--going up against one of the best, albeit perhaps hobbled, DEs in the game. A guy who had 20.5 sacks in 27 games the last two years. No help and no real pressures on any of those highlights.

http://www.nfl.com/players/brettfavre/profile?id=FAV540222

You'll find the answer to the question: will Chad Clifton be starting at LT for Green Bay in 2008?

Your backside OT needs to be a very good pass protector. Chad is and always has been that.