PDA

View Full Version : "Pack Fans Might Learn to Love this Team"" JS

Bretsky
09-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Packers' fans might just learn to love this team
Posted: Sept. 16, 2007

Michael Hunt

East Rutherford, N.J. - OK, Mr. or Ms. Green Bay Packers fan, you who are rich in droopy giant Styrofoam No. 1 hands but are without overdraft protection at the First National Bank of Frustration. How much emotional energy are you willing to invest in this team now?

How far are you willing to psychologically expose yourself to the Packers, who have paid off only in their capacity to crush your spirit for who knows how long? Now that they're 2-0 - 6-0 if you go back to the end of last season - are you really prepared to entrust them with at least 14 more of your Monday morning moods?

You've got to admit, though, that the Packers are making a compelling case for regaining your confidence. Sure, maybe the New York Giants will turn out to be the dregs most thought they would be, yet the 35-13 beating the Packers laid on them Sunday was as comprehensive a game as they've played for Mike McCarthy.
A masterwork it wasn't, but it was more important to see that the Packers seem to be solving their most pressing troubles after only two weeks. Can't run the ball? Then how about returning to your most recent set of successful roots, the Mike Holmgren-inspired West Coast offense? It clearly cut the Giants down to a manageable size.

"Our concept worked well with 2- to 3-yard passes and running after the catch," Brett Favre said. "That's what I'd do if I were coaching. It's easier to scheme a 3-yard pass than a 3-yard run."

Opens up what running game there is, too. Even DeShawn Wynn - hold the phone! - ran for a couple of touchdowns. With a little pitching and catching, Korey Hall made his presence manifest and Ryan Grant had a chance to show everyone that those Dorsey Levens comparisons just might have merit.

Point is, if you can't have one Pavarotti, might as well have a half-dozen or so Bugs Bunnys singing Figaro. Getting eight receivers involved - even Bubba Franks, if your tortured memory will allow you to speak his name - certainly cured that which ailed a wanting offense against Philadelphia.

Afterward, the New York media were making a big deal of Favre's NFL record for career victories, and it is noteworthy in evaluating a quarterback's ultimate measure of success. But as Favre correctly, if ungrammatically, noted, "I didn't do nothing last week and they gave me the win."

Thing is, Favre is playing like a man 10 years younger, dinking and dunking like the vintage Favre and throwing last-second-decision fastballs to the back of the end zone to Donald Driver while maintaining a sense of control as the offensive line gives him room to maneuver. At one point he was 14 for 14 against the Giants, the kind of stretch in the short passing game that Favre and McCarthy decided would give them a chance during a midweek brainstorming session.

So here they are, with their quarterback clicking, the line growing up around him, the running game just productive enough, the defense making stops and the rejuvenated special teams forcing turnovers for the second consecutive week.

Are we to take it that the Packers just might be . . . good?

Excuse Favre's discretion, for he has seen far too much fluctuation in the last few years.

"Walls can crash down on you quickly," he said. "I'm no expert, but I can see people going, '2-0, but I really don't know.' I really don't know, either."

Of course, San Diego, a Super Bowl aspirant, will tell much. For now, McCarthy sees growing confidence, and that is important for a young team that hasn't lost in a long time.

"I'm getting way too much attention now. I never wanted to be this popular," McCarthy said. "If no one notices, that's fine."

Oh, they will, coach. They will.

Send e-mail to mhunt@journalsentinel.com

HarveyWallbangers
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Does Bretsky love this team?

Joemailman
09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
When the Packers beat the Chargers, even Bretsky and Woody will love this team. :wink:

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I've always loved the Pack

PlantPage55
09-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd love them even if they lost every game. But I'd love them more like you would still love your son, even if he busted your Brett Favre signed jersey out of its glass and rolled around in the mud with it.

b bulldog
09-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Packers are like family, everyone in here can put them down or talk bad about them but when a fan from another team does, it's war.

oregonpackfan
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Does Bretsky love this team?

Yes he does!

Not only that but rumor has it that he is developing a fondness for Ted Thompson! :)

CaliforniaCheez
09-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Another Mi kHunt article, wanting to be defeatist about the game this week.

VanPackFan
09-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I am REALLY interested to see how the Packers fare against San Diego.
Their best measuring stick game last year was against New England and we all know how that ended up.

Against San Diego, what is a successful result for you? Obviously we hope for a win, but if that doesn't happen, what is acceptable?

Brohm
09-18-2007, 12:51 PM
A win would be great, but I would be happy just being competitve (at this stage) against the upper echelon teams. That would be progress against the schlackings we got last year by NE, Jets and Bears.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree with Brohm. Realistically, I'm expecting a loss that isn't real close. Maybe something like 24-9.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm expecting a win.

fan4life
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
This game is much more of a test for Norv Turner and his new coaching staff than it is for GB. How will they respond?

Well, I've never been impressed with Norv Turner.... if that gives you a clue as to who I like.

oregonpackfan
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree with Brohm. Realistically, I'm expecting a loss that isn't real close. Maybe something like 24-9.

Harvey,

Think "App. St vs. Michigan" or think "Oregon vs. Michigan."

Maybe even take on the attitude of The Little Engine That Could, "I think I Can, I Think I Can..." :)