PDA

View Full Version : Chuck to back up the back up

Partial
09-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Odds and ends: Woodson always has wanted to play on offense, something he did in college, and he might get his chance. McCarthy today mentioned Woodson, who played cornerback and receiver during his college career at Michigan, and receiver Ruvell Martin as possible emergency quarterbacks. With only two quarterbacks on the roster, the Packers had designated receiver Carlyle Holiday as their emergency quarterback. Holiday, a former quarterback at Notre Dame, was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Saturday with a knee injury. Martin last played quarterback in high school. It’s not clear when, or if, Woodson played quarterback. … The Packers opened as a four-point underdog against the Chargers.

Partial
09-17-2007, 10:55 PM
I realize thats not exactly what they said, but I love Charles Woodson. The dude just wants to play ball and be part of every play regardless of the position. I hope he stays in G&G for a long time!

Lurker64
09-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I don't understand exactly how the emergency QB rule works, but are you allowed to designate multiple emergency QBs? Say if the unthinkable happens and the #1 and #2 go down, would they be able to alternate between Ruvell and Woodson at QB if they wanted?

I know in the Giants game after Lorenzen went down, and the other guy game in the announcer said something to the effect of "He is the only guy eligible to play QB for the rest of the game", how exactly does this rule work? Does it only apply to a guy you have on your roster designated "emergency QB" that isn't active on game day in the normal sense? You can line up any other active player at QB any time you wanted, otherwise, right?

Because you'd think that if the unthinkable did happen and we lost our #1 and #2 and we were close to winning a game, you'd trot out every guy you've got on the team until you found someone who stuck.

cpk1994
09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't understand exactly how the emergency QB rule works, but are you allowed to designate multiple emergency QBs? Say if the unthinkable happens and the #1 and #2 go down, would they be able to alternate between Ruvell and Woodson at QB if they wanted?

I know in the Giants game after Lorenzen went down, and the other guy game in the announcer said something to the effect of "He is the only guy eligible to play QB for the rest of the game", how exactly does this rule work? Does it only apply to a guy you have on your roster designated "emergency QB" that isn't active on game day in the normal sense? You can line up any other active player at QB any time you wanted, otherwise, right?

Because you'd think that if the unthinkable did happen and we lost our #1 and #2 and we were close to winning a game, you'd trot out every guy you've got on the team until you found someone who stuck.

IF your 3rd QB is listed as inactive and he plays, the other 2 qb's are ineligble to return once the 4th quarter starts. IF you activate your 3rd QB to your gameday roster before the game, the rule does not apply. And since Woodson and Martin most probably would be on the gameday roster. They could go back and forth as much as they wanted. At leat I think that is how it goes.

Badgerinmaine
09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
IF your 3rd QB is listed as inactive and he plays, the other 2 qb's are ineligble to return once the 4th quarter starts. IF you activate your 3rd QB to your gameday roster before the game, the rule does not apply. And since Woodson and Martin most probably would be on the gameday roster. They could go back and forth as much as they wanted. At leat I think that is how it goes.

I think you're right and that the third QB thing only applies to someone not otherwise on the gameday roster.