PDA

View Full Version : ESPN--""CONTENDER OR PRETENDER""

Bretsky
09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Mark Schlereth was asked what he felt about the "surprise" 2-0 teams in the NFL.

Here are some comments

Houston - Contender

Talked about the Schaub/A. Johnson duo, veteran help from Ahman Green, and the improved play of the defense

San Francisco - Pretender

Likes the free agency moves and the D, but not sold on Alex Smith

Detroit - Pretender

Great passing game, but weak running game and average defense will hinder success in the long run

GREEN BAY - CONTENDER

Likes the play of the young rookies on offense (Jackson, Wynn, Jones) and thinks the offense can improve more than people think Also thinks the Packers will have a top rated defense this season. He likes the play of Cullen Jenkins at DE and the elevated play of Nick Barnett.

Nice to see a little Packer Kool Aide coming from ESPN

Kiwon
09-18-2007, 08:12 AM
2-0 makes you a contender at this point. Nobody can legitimately say otherwise.

Now to distribute more of those voodoo dolls to make our opponents fumble punt and kick-off returns. :P

Lurker64
09-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Packers v. Texans in the superbowl. You heard it here first, and probably last.

run pMc
09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Interesting coming from Mark Schlereth...I thought he was a GB hater.

BallHawk
09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Funny....on yesterday's Sportscenter on "Buy or Sell" he sold Green Bay. :?:

Zool
09-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Funny....on yesterday's Sportscenter on "Buy or Sell" he sold Green Bay. :?:

The guy was a Bronco. Talk to any of their fans, they think they would have won 3 straight had they not laid an egg against Jax in 95. No GB respect in the Rockies.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 10:46 AM

I never got that feeling. He seems pretty fair. Then again, I really don't watch ESPN for analysis anymore.

rpiotr01
09-18-2007, 02:22 PM

Whatever he is, I don't trust a man with so many consecutive consonants starting off his last name...

And I certainly don't trust an organization that employs and features the commentary of Emmit Smith, known for such gems as, "These are the two guys that's gonna take a lot of pressure off of Jason . . . Jay . . . off of the quarterback, Jason [Campbell]." :lol:

oregonpackfan
09-18-2007, 03:41 PM
I am as happy as any Packer fan that the Packers have a 2-0 start. As Harvey pointed out, the Packers haven't started 2-0 since 2001!

For me, it is too early to use either classification of "Contender" or "Pretender" to describe the Packers.

So many question marks remain:

--Can the OL provide a running game?

--Can the RB's consistently perform?

--Can Jennings finally get healthy enough to take some of the receiving pressure off of Driver?

--Can Bubba Franks continue his comeback rejuvenation?

--Can our critical players stay healthy and avoid season-ending injuries?

packinpatland
09-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Prisco rates GB #8................nice.

"Seeing them at 2-0 really shouldn't be that much of a shocker. They have an underrated defense and a good passer. That's a nice combination."

Joemailman
09-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Whatever he is, I don't trust a man with so many consecutive consonants starting off his last name...

And I certainly don't trust an organization that employs and features the commentary of Emmit Smith, known for such gems as, "These are the two guys that's gonna take a lot of pressure off of Jason . . . Jay . . . off of the quarterback, Jason [Campbell]." :lol:

That was funny as hell. He had another instance later where he just couldn't come up with the word he was looking for.

LL2
09-18-2007, 06:14 PM
If we can pull out for a win this weekend the Pack will gain a lot of respect. I'll be praying for a victory because I will be there. It sucks to leave the game after a loss.