PDA

View Full Version : McNabb plays race card

Zool
09-18-2007, 08:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308

Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
:bs:

Zool
09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
If I was black, I would hate like hell to have this moron as any sort of voice for me. Just because Rush Limbaugh is a lobotomized moron.

I'm going to interview with Gumble and complain that white fans are criticized more than black fans by black players.

"its like some people in the NFL dont even want me as a fan because I'm white"

cpk1994
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
McNabb needs to come to Green Bay to see the guff that Brett gets, and as far as I know Brett is white.

BlueBrewer
09-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Bill Cosby would slap that whining bitch!

rpiotr01
09-18-2007, 09:48 AM
He also plays in Philly, where failure to win the Super Bowl after the third game of the season results on booing.

cheesner
09-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I wonder what the reaction would be if say Kampman came out and said things were rough for white DEs.

I don't think he would get much pity but would be scrutinized as a racist.

McNabb is pathetic.

Kiwon
09-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Just because Rush Limbaugh is a lobotomized moron.

Here's a quick refresher on the scandalous comments Rush Limbaugh made on ESPN back in 2003. Here's the full transcript.
.................................................. ...............................................

Rush Limbaugh's Comments on ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown

September 28, 2003

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I've been listening to all of you guys, actually, and I think the sum total of what you're all saying is that Donovan McNabb is regressing, is going backwards --

TOM JACKSON: Mmm-hmm. (Nodding)

RUSH: -- and my... I'm sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well.

MICHAEL IRVIN: (Nodding)

RUSH: I think there is a lot of hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't really deserve. The defense carried this team, I think.

TOM JACKSON: But Rush -- But Rush somebody went to those championship games.

RUSH: Oh, they "went."

TOM JACKSON: Somebody made those plays that I saw running down the field, doing it with his legs, doing it with his arm. He has been a very effective quarterback for this football team over the last two or three years –

RUSH: Yeah, but you take –

TOM JACKSON: -- and they didn't have any more talent then than they do now.

RUSH: Oh yes they did: on defense. On defense, they did.

TOM JACKSON: (Nodding) Oh, on defense they did. I'm talking on the offense side of the ball.

RUSH: Well, that's what I'm saying. I think he got a lot of credit for the defensive side of the ball winning games for this team.

STEVE YOUNG: But I'll tell you what. I'll say it even more strongly, Tom. When they're winning, nobody makes more plays --

TOM JACKSON: Right.

STEVE YOUNG: -- with his arm than Donnvan McNabb. That guy is one of the best in the league at making plays, BUT making plays does not win championships. Running the offense does. So at some point --

TOM JACKSON: Gotta run the offense.

STEVE YOUNG: -- I think that Koy Detmer looks like a better option because he'll go in there, drop back, and throw the ball correctly.

CHRIS BERMAN: Isn't it odd that last year with the broken leg – I know it was Arizona – but the one time he was in the pocket he looked great. Right?

STEVE YOUNG: He had to run that offense.

TOM JACKSON: So Rush, once you make that investment though – once you make that investment in him, that's a done deal.

RUSH: I'm saying it's a good investment. Don't misunderstand. I just don't think he's as good as everybody says he has been.

MICHAEL IRVIN: Rush has a point.

STEVE YOUNG: Well, he (McNabb) certainly hasn't matured.

END TRANSCRIPT
.................................................. ........................................

Have you ever read such racial rantings? Rush just attacked Donovan McNabb over and over again for being a black man playing the quarterback position. It was just awful, horrible.

Or did Rush share an opinion criticizing the media for exaggerating the success and skills of Donovan McNabb because they wanted a black man playing quarterback to succeed?

Liberal bias in the media? You bet!

Rush said nothing about Donovan McNabb personally and he gets painted as a racist. But at the same time, Bryant Gumbel and Keith Olber-dork can say whatever they want about race and not get called on it because they fit the liberal template.

It's a really pathetic double-standard.

MJZiggy
What a whiner. This is a human being who has become an NFL QUARTERBACK and had success at it. There aren't too many people in the WORLD who are doing what he is doing. He has done this despite what anyone else had said or done; he's a multimillionaire and all he can thing to do is whine because he's black? Un-friggin-believable. Get over your skin color and enjoy what you've got, moron, because the rest of us could only wish to have what it takes to get to where you are.

Zool
I actually threw that line in just for you Kiwon. I went back and edited.

"What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Oct. 5, 1995

The guy used to say stupid shit on a daily basis, and STILL people try to defend him. Its laughable.

How's his oxycontin addiction coming along?

"If (Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders) wants to legalize drugs, send the people who want to do drugs to London and Zurich, and let's be rid of them.
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Dec 9, 1993

We're going to let you destroy your life. We're going to make it easy and then all of us who accept the responsibilities of life and don't destroy our lives on drugs, we'll pay for whatever messes you get into."
-- Rush Limbaugh show, Dec. 9, 1993

Aint it the truth.

Carolina_Packer
09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
There have been cracks forming in Donovan's veneer the last few years. I'm sure it's the mounting frustration of not winning the championship, having to deal with the injuries, having to deal with the T.O. situation. I still think he's a decent guy. He just needs to keep rehabbing on the job, getting stronger and not be Donovan McBlab.

Shut up and let your play do the talking and if that's not good enough, oh well. Why give an opinion on something that could be that easily misconstrued, plus, he looked like a guy who was into keeping it light and shying away from those kinds of controversies, even when Rush used him as an example; he seemed to take things in stride. Now he seems to have more of an edge.

Philly, like many places is a tough place to play because the fans exepect a lot, hope for a lot.

I could see him not being back there next year, going back to Chicago and signing with the Bears (assuming that McNabb shows signs of getting better physically and assuming Rex still has question marks).

Merlin
09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
:jack:

Rush isn't the issue even though his assessment of McNabb is dead on. The assessment that McNabb has become nothing more then a cry-baby who uses his race as an excuse for his poor performance. There have been a lot of great Black QB's, some mediocre ones (McNabb) and some down right aweful ones. Percentage-wise, it's probably the same as any white QB.

Time to face the music McNabb, you aren't that good and the team needs to have good skill position players around you to make a difference on offense.

MJZiggy
09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Maybe he needs to take a lesson from Jason Campbell who last night just went out, did what he had to do and whupped McNabb's ass. He even threw it to a white guy for a score...

Merlin
09-18-2007, 10:25 AM
I thought Campbell looked pretty good. Is Andre Woodson from Kentucky black? I can't tell and don't really care but I think the Pack needs to take a serious look at him. I would take Campbell over Rodgers in a heartbeat.

Kiwon
09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I actually threw that line in just for you Kiwon. I went back and edited.

No problem. I'm always ready to criticize the bias media. :P

The Rush thing is unbelievable because everybody cites it as evidence he's a racist but they don't even know what Rush said. When you actually hear or read what was said its just further evidence of how PC the media is.

Not like you, Zool. You're an unbiased moderator. What ever happened to my classic Helen Thomas thread? Maybe you and O.J. can go look for it. :wink:

http://th102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/rmkeeley/th_HelenThomas.jpg

Zool
09-18-2007, 10:34 AM
God man. I wanted to axe that thing just for the pic. I still have nightmares about it.

I like to poke fun at Rush cause he's such a blowhard who got caught with his proverbial pants down. Maybe they should send him to London?

McNabb is a whiner and extremely overrated (Partial). He's always been erratic on some throws that an NFL QB HAS to be able to make. Check the 4th quarter throw near the goal line Sunday with some pressure on him. That was at the very least a first down and possibly a TD. You can blame the knee, but Palmer had the same situation last year.

The Leaper
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Rush said nothing about Donovan McNabb personally and he gets painted as a racist. But at the same time, Bryant Gumbel and Keith Olber-dork can say whatever they want about race and not get called on it because they fit the liberal template.

Of course it is.

Look no further that Isaiah Thomas' current legal woes...where he claims he sees nothing wrong with a black man calling a black woman a bitch, but feels it is certainly wrong for a white man to call a black woman a bitch.

Where is Al Sharpton now to condemn Thomas? He was quick to the front of the line to criticize Imus...but is very silent with Thomas.

What about Kanye West and his whiney rant at the MTV Music awards. "Give the black man a break" Really, Kanye? You are a multi-millionaire in the music industry crying for a break? Please. Spare us your pity party.

Most celebrity African Americans are among the most coddled and ignorant people on the face of the planet. They want everyone to believe they have it so rough, but in reality their view is a load of crock.

I completely agree that Rush was well within his right to say what he did. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to say, but it was certainly not racist or demeaning to McNabb.

In fact, McNabb now seems to be AGREEING with Limbaugh in terms of the pressure the media is heaping on him to "succeed".

Ironic.

Deputy Nutz
09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Quite the hot topic. I really don't like to comment a lot on race because it can turn on you in a hurry, and I also either end up playing devils advocate, or I am on the fence with a a subject and can see it both ways.

The bottom line is that playing QB in the NFL is simply the most critiqued and criticized position in sports. Black, white or Green it is hard to escape serious criticism while playing the position, if McNabb feels he is more criticized for being black while playing the position then I think he is splitting hairs.

VanPackFan
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm just old enough to remember what a novelty it was to have Doug Williams quarterback a Super Bowl winner.
And I'm just old enough to remember Warren Moon spending five years in Canada because no NFL team would give him a chance.
Is the situation better for black quarterbacks 20 years later? Yeah, I'd say so. There's a large (and growing number) of black quarterbacks now holding starting jobs — and proving they can do the job just as good, if not better, than the next guy.
Is it perfect? Not by any stretch, and I do think black quarterbacks are scrutinized more than a caucasian counterpart would be.

Having said that, Donovan also has to take a few things into account. First, he's established himself as injury prone. That puts you under the microscope. Second, he's struggled early on. That puts you under the microscope. And third, he plays in a notoriously tough media town where they boo Santa Claus. Every sports star in Philly, black or white, is under the microscope.

I don't think he'd be pulling out the race card quite as quick if he played in an NFL city with less tenacious fans/media.

the_idle_threat
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Newsflash (for McNabb): If the league doesn't want black folks playing quarterback, then how does he explain who was drafted #1 overall this past spring?

For that matter, McNabb himself was drafted #3 overall 8 years ago, right behind another black QB--Akili Smith.

Steve McNair, Mike Vick, Daunte Culpepper ... heck---even unheralded guys like Aaron Brooks, Jeff Blake, Anthony Wright, Tony Banks. All of these guys have been starters in the league, and some have been very big stars.

Seems like teams are plenty willing to give quarterbacks a chance regardless of their race, and it's been that way for a long time now.

As Van mentioned above, there was a time when the league didn't give black quarterbacks this opportunity. Favre might be chasing Warren Moon's records rather than Dan Marino's if Moon had gotten a fair chance in the NFL. But that was 25 to 30 years ago.

McNabb's ideas on race and the quarterback position are outdated by about a quarter of a century.

mraynrand
09-18-2007, 12:48 PM
You know, I typically don't look to Charles Barkley for the most intelligent conversation on the planet, but I've met the guy in person, drank beer with him on the Marquette campus, and I've been extremely impressed by two things: 1) he's a genuinely great guy and 2) He understands what it means to be a great player in pro sports. kinda like LeRoy Butler always knew what you had to do to play well and win. So what does this have to do with McNabb? Well, last night Barkley said (and repeated himself over and over) the simple truth - when you are the star of the team (especially a QB), you will get too much credit for wins and too much credit for losses: "It's not right, it's not wrong, it's just the way it is" said Barkley. That's what McNabb is experiencing. It's unfortunate that the race issue is continually raised, because it seems pretty obvious to me that the criticism has to do with McNabb's throwing accuracy, mobility (both impacted by his playing on a not-fully-recovered knee), and the fact that Philly has lost two games. He's going to be criticized. He should be used to it.

Carolina_Packer
09-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Perhaps there's even less to this story than we first thought. The point of view of someone being scrutinized, real or imagined is hard to argue. If Donovan feels scrutinized because of skin color, then he does. However, I don't want anyone to cry wolf, because there are injustices based on race still out there and I want them to stand out and be taken care of, and I want trumped up issues (especially ones created by celebrities) to not get so much play as it clouds the bigger picture.

Noodle
09-18-2007, 01:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Why would McNabb think "people" didn't want African Americans to play quarterback? Friggin' Vick was the face of the league. If there's one thing we know, it's that Americans want to win. And there's nobody in America, outside some benighted Klansmen, who would give a rat's ass about the color of their team's QB as long as that QB got the job done.

This kind of paranoia is not healthy. I can understand where it comes from, but it is not healthy at all.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I DEMAND a full investigation into why there aren't any Mexican QB's in the NFL!!

Patler
09-18-2007, 04:07 PM
I wonder if Rex Grossman would agree that black QBs are scrutinized and criticized more than white QBs?

Patler
09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
It was just what, 3 years ago that the NFC Pro Bowl QBs were Vick, Culpepper and McNabb. I think black QBs have been accepted by the league.

Patler
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I DEMAND a full investigation into why there aren't any Mexican QB's in the NFL!!

Too short! :oops:

Him8123
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
That has been Mcnabb`s problem lately in his career. Earlier when he could play he wouldn`t make excuses, he would go out and shut up his critics with his play. Now that he is regressing and another year of not winning a championship, he is making more excuses than ever. Even resorting to pulling the race card, which is pathetic. I think Brett, Rex Grossman, Joey Harrington, Jeff Garcia all get more criticized than any other QB`s and their white. And of course Mcnabb is gonna get criticized alot, he`s in Philly for crying out loud, the meanest, nastiest, unhappy fan base in the world. Just shut up Mcnabb and play, time to grow up and stop making excuses.

BlueBrewer
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM

What about Jeff Garcia, so what if he is pasty white and has red hair, his last name is Garcia, it sounds Mexican. :lol:

oregonpackfan
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I would like to believe that most pro football fans are beyond the stereotype that African-Americans cannot be skilled quarterbacks. At the same time, I am sure there are fans who carry that anti-black, racist attitude towards black QB's.

As a couple of posters alluded to earlier, I think much of McNabb's problem is that he plays for a Philadelphia team. People there are different. The pro team fans there seem to be more short-tempered and demanding.

At one point the fans booed Charles Barkley, who was a six-time pro bowler for the 76'ers. Phillies fans would even booed Mike Schmidt--a white, Hall of Fame player.

McNabb also needs to remember that fans booed him when the Eagles drafted him. Some of them have never accepted him despite his many accomplishments for the team.

My first job out of college was working for 2 years in suburban Philadelphia. I worked in Devon, which is along Philadelpia's "Main Line" on its west side. For a year, I was involved in a close relationship with a grad stuent at Temple University. Temple is located on Broad Street, which is Philly's "Main Street."

Wherever I have lived, I have maintained the position that if you look for the good in people you will find many good people. There will always be a few undesirable people who make life unpleasant for you. Unfortunately, I felt that the Philly area is one place where I did not enjoy living.

Though I met some good people out there, I just did not like the overall atmosphere of that city. There just seemed to be more of a callous, in-your-face type of attitude among many of its citizens.

Perhaps after this season, McNabb needs to try to extend his career in some other city. I know that Chicago would much prefer him to Grossman.
A number of other teams would love to have him as well.

Him8123
09-18-2007, 04:17 PM
your right about philly oregonpackfan, I lived in south jersey for a short bit of time. Just right outside of Philly. Alot of people there are truly unhappy for whatever reason. They do nothing but talk crap about their team when their not having success. And praise them when their winning. Not like us Pack fans who still cheer our Pack on whether they are winning or losing. Philadelphian`s are just a different type of crowd. I mean come on they booed and threw snowballs at Santa! who does that??

Joemailman
09-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I think white wide receivers receive more pressure and criticism than their black counterparts because there aren't that many of them. Remember how people used to jump all over Bill Schroeder because he supposedly ran the wrong route? Poor Billy never really had a fair chance.

Joemailman
09-18-2007, 05:07 PM

NFL Playbooks aren't bi-lingual.

PackerBlues
09-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I was already disgusted by McNobb after hearing his post game interview. He never owned up to the fact that a large portion of his passes, were way off. He never admitted that he is no longer as mobile as he was before his injuries. Instead, he talked about how "we" need to get better, and how "we" need to learn from "our" mistakes. He himself was unable to do his job worth a shit, but he spreads the blame, how pathetic.

Now he brings up the race card. This asshole is just full of excuses, and nothing is his fault. When Favre said that Walker should play out his contract, Mcnobb publicly states in the media, that it is none of Favre's business........what a fucking hypocrite!!!!

At his best, McNobb was never anything more than an athletic guy playing QB. Take away his mobility, and look at what you have. In the past, if he didn't have a man open to throw to, he would simply run.........take away his ability to run, and he is nothing.

If it were not for his smart assed remarks about "interceptions" being the biggest difference between him and Favre, I would probably pity the jagoff enough not to even comment on how washed up he is. But his jealousy towards Favre is obvious every time he is asked about him, and he just seems to keep putting his foot in his mouth.

It won't be long, and the Eagles will realize that McNobb is holding the team back. Soon, he will just be another one of those guys that goes from one team to the next, collecting a salary as a back-up that the team hopes that they never have to use.

CaliforniaCheez
09-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Here's a quick refresher on the scandalous comments Rush Limbaugh made on ESPN back in 2003. Here's the full transcript.
.................................................. ...............................................

Rush Limbaugh's Comments on ESPN Sunday NFL Countdown

September 28, 2003

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: I've been listening to all of you guys, actually, and I think the sum total of what you're all saying is that Donovan McNabb is regressing, is going backwards --

RUSH: -- and my... I'm sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well.

RUSH: I think there is a lot of hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't really deserve. The defense carried this team, I think.

TOM JACKSON: But Rush -- But Rush somebody went to those championship games.

RUSH: Oh, they "went."

TOM JACKSON: Somebody made those plays that I saw running down the field, doing it with his legs, doing it with his arm. He has been a very effective quarterback for this football team over the last two or three years –

RUSH: Yeah, but you take –

TOM JACKSON: -- and they didn't have any more talent then than they do now.

RUSH: Oh yes they did: on defense. On defense, they did.

TOM JACKSON: (Nodding) Oh, on defense they did. I'm talking on the offense side of the ball.

RUSH: Well, that's what I'm saying. I think he got a lot of credit for the defensive side of the ball winning games for this team.

STEVE YOUNG: But I'll tell you what. I'll say it even more strongly, Tom. When they're winning, nobody makes more plays --

TOM JACKSON: Right.

STEVE YOUNG: -- with his arm than Donnvan McNabb. That guy is one of the best in the league at making plays, BUT making plays does not win championships. Running the offense does. So at some point --

TOM JACKSON: Gotta run the offense.

STEVE YOUNG: -- I think that Koy Detmer looks like a better option because he'll go in there, drop back, and throw the ball correctly.

CHRIS BERMAN: Isn't it odd that last year with the broken leg – I know it was Arizona – but the one time he was in the pocket he looked great. Right?

STEVE YOUNG: He had to run that offense.

TOM JACKSON: So Rush, once you make that investment though – once you make that investment in him, that's a done deal.

RUSH: I'm saying it's a good investment. Don't misunderstand. I just don't think he's as good as everybody says he has been.

STEVE YOUNG: Well, he (McNabb) certainly hasn't matured.

END TRANSCRIPT
.................................................. ........................................

Have you ever read such racial rantings? Rush just attacked Donovan McNabb over and over again for being a black man playing the quarterback position. It was just awful, horrible.

Or did Rush share an opinion criticizing the media for exaggerating the success and skills of Donovan McNabb because they wanted a black man playing quarterback to succeed?

Liberal bias in the media? You bet!

Thank you for bringing forth the transcript.

Some people just can't handle the truth.

The black racists really diminished Warren Moon's induction to the Pro Football (NFL, Arena League AFL, Europe and Canada) Hall of Fame.
"He is the only black QB, a day where the league gave the first one an honor, etc." made it sound like an affirmative action selection and not deserved.

Oh, and there has only been one Doug Williams who played on a Super Bowl winner. Must be racism also.

The more these black racists point at the situation the more the stereotype is reinforced.

Kiwon
09-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I would like to believe that most pro football fans are beyond the stereotype that African-Americans cannot be skilled quarterbacks. At the same time, I am sure there are fans who carry that anti-black, racist attitude towards black QB's.

OPF, I thought most everybody had moved past this point.

Last year's Super Bowl had 2 black head coaches in it. If the stereotype was that the QB position was too complicated for blacks then what reasonable chance was there for a black to serve as head coach? Last year's game exploded that myth once and for all.

People that want to focus on race will do so whether it is warranted or not.

I'm living overseas and based upon my experience I can tell you that Americans are the most accepting and tolerant people I'm aware of. We do tend to focus on the content of a person's character rather than the color of his skin.

Donovan McNabb may complain about extra scrutiny being a black QB and Kanye West may rant about not winning a music award due to his race but neither one will trade his American citizenship to live anywhere else.

gbgary
09-18-2007, 06:46 PM
mcnabb..."black quarterbacks are under more pressure..."

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

GrnBay007
09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
"I try to handle myself with class"

Then stop attempting to make excuses at this point in your career.

MadtownPacker
09-18-2007, 08:12 PM

What about Jeff Garcia, so what if he is pasty white and has red hair, his last name is Garcia, it sounds Mexican. :lol:Garcia is a Mexican last name but Garcia is watered down big time. I bet he doesn't even eat tortillas every day.

And like Patler mentioned, he is too short. Damn stereotypes!

Harlan Huckleby
09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
mcnabb..."black quarterbacks are under more pressure..."

I didn't read anything else about this. I don't have a big problem with McNabb's comment.

If he was trying to make a big stinking deal over it, that's another thing. But I expect it is just an honest statement about how he feels.

I often hear comments from women managers in the work world about how much pressure they feel as women. I don't see it. But they feel it.

ahaha
09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Tony Zendejas(famed brother of former Packer kicker Max Zendejas) threw two passes in his 10 year NFL kicking career. One was an interception and the other a minus 7 yard completion.

He ruined it for potential Mexican quarterbacks everywhere.

oregonpackfan
09-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Wasn't Joe Kapp part Hispanic?

run pMc
09-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Of the top of my head I can think of at least 6 starting QB's who are black. I don't really think it SHOULD be an issue, with a small segment of the population, it probably (and unfortunately) still is. I think the QB position gets scrutinized more than any other in the game, since they have the ball in their hands every snap. I also think Philly is a brutal town for sports -- sometimes the fans act like they eat their own children.
Throw in the fact that the mayor (of all people) complained about McNabb over Ricky Williams on draft day, the T.O. saga, allegedly barfing during the Super Bowl, being seen as too much of a company man, Rush's comments, his mama's rants, his mounting injuries, and a slow start to the season...and I guess he probably couldn't help vent.

GB is a pretty good NFL town...the fans are pretty rabid, but they don't turn on the team they way they do in Philly, and I hope they never do. Brett's taken a lot of heat for things he's said and done, so I think it's part of the game -- especially for QB's.

On the topic of Hispanic QB's, what's Moses Moreno up to these days?

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I've seen where race appears to be an issue at times. In Minnesota, I often wonder what percentage of those that are quick to run off Warren Moon, Daunte Culpepper, Tarvaris Jackson, etc. are racist. It's usually the likes of Brad Johnson (the first time he was here) and Jeff George that they want to start instead. I think there's a small, ignorant segment of the population that thinks a black QB just can't get it done. However, for most people I think it comes down to people wanting the team to win so bad. Culpepper put up gaudy numbers but the defense was poor, and they lost games. It's easy to pin the blame on the QB--no matter what types of numbers he puts up.

Some of the pro-McNabb arguments in this case are just silly though. I was listening to Fox Sports Radio this morning, and a caller cited Rex Grossman as an example where a white QB is less scrutinized then a black QB. The caller said that Grossman would have benched if he were black. James Washington agreed with the caller. That was befuddling to me for two reasons: 1) Rex Grossman is probably the most scrutinized QB in the league (he's also probably had enough good games to offset the bad games, and his team is winning) 2) isn't Lovie Smith black?

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2007, 10:21 AM

Wasn't Joe Kapp part Hispanic?

I thought it was American Indian. Is that the same thing?

Patler
09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
The number of black starting QBs has actually decreased the last few years. In 2001 there were 9 that were full-time starters or who shared starting time with some one based on performance, not injury. Now it looks to be about 6.

The Leaper
09-19-2007, 10:46 AM
The number of black starting QBs has actually decreased the last few years. In 2001 there were 9 that were full-time starters or who shared starting time with some one based on performance, not injury. Now it looks to be about 6.

The number just went up again with Leftwich going to Atlanta...and will continue to go up when Russell takes the reins in Oakland.

When was the last time Madden's cover guy was white?

I don't see McNabb's gripe. Rex Grossman takes twice the abuse McNabb does.

Patler
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM

The number just went up again with Leftwich going to Atlanta...and will continue to go up when Russell takes the reins in Oakland.

When was the last time Madden's cover guy was white?

I don't see McNabb's gripe. Rex Grossman takes twice the abuse McNabb does.

I would expect to see the number fluctuate. My point was that we have already seen wide acceptance of black QBs. 9 of 32 was petty good. Even six now, with Vick having messed up his own career, Culpepper dropping from the ranks of starters due to injury, etc. is not an insignificant number.

Merlin
09-19-2007, 11:17 AM

Ron Mexico is in a tad bit of trouble right now. Wasn't Jim Plunket hispanic? He didn't look white or black to me. Dude had a HUGE melon.

Carolina_Packer
09-19-2007, 11:27 AM
So, by Donovan's logic, if more blacks were starting QB's in the NFL, then there would be less scrutiny, or they would try less to make that extra effort to make an impact? I think there can be racial discussions in sports, but then there are trumped up issues. I don't doubt he feels this way, but is it based on reality or imagination? I seriously doubt that when any black QB is in practice, or in a game situation, in the huddle or dropping back to pass he's sitting there thinking, "I must represent my race well, so let me put a little extra something on my performance!" They are probably just thinking about how to perform well, their footwork, how they are dianosing a play, their timing, etc. It's not a black, white issue. Overall, I don't think fans care about black, white, green or indigo, they just want their guy to perform. Donovan rehabbing, not being able to do physically what he wants and it showing in his performance and the fans demeanor is what is under his skin, regardless of it's pigment or lack thereof.

The Leaper
09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Donovan's biggest problem right now is his accuracy, not his skin color.

MJZiggy
09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Donovan's biggest problem right now is his accuracy, not his skin color.

I think Donovan's biggest problem is his mouth. He won't close it.