PDA

View Full Version : tasteless newspaper ad

Partial
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
This was in a newspaper on 9/11 in Dubuai.

http://bp3.blogger.com/__XCWUd8FFjQ/Ru6kEpbBP3I/AAAAAAAABsQ/TOe60Q8Y_D8/s1600-h/9-11cigs.jpg

Partial
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
right click and go to view image. hotlinking must be disabled.

Jimx29
09-18-2007, 12:11 PM
http://i11.tinypic.com/4lpf12f.jpg

Zool
09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
mmmm classy and satisfying.

Kiwon
09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Right after 9-11, there were some cafes opened in Korea with names "bin-Laden" or "Osama" or the like. Very classy, indeed.

It's one thing to hold anti-American attitudes as an adult, but there's something really distasteful when you teach children to be prejudice.

http://maa999999.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ruri/anti-us-009.jpg

http://maa999999.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ruri/anti-us-013.jpg

http://maa999999.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ruri/anti-us-007.jpg

http://maa999999.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ruri/anti-us-015.jpg

mraynrand
09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
It's always bothered me how intense the Korean students' protests against the U.S. have been. What exactly are they protesting? In 1987, some student lit himself on fire and tossed himself off a building. Well organized, respectful opposition typically has more long lasting effects. at least that's been my experience on the local level. I've organized efforts to get companies to reduce pollution - you write to them and to representative and the papers and you get heard - and most important - you don't get dismissed out of hand for being a lunatic. Right now, in Cleveland, we're working on getting Mittal Steel to reduce emissions. I've written to the company several times explaining how they can turn their 'clean up' into a positive advertising campaign. People will actually choose a slightly more expensive product if they know the producers are being as green as possible. In the case of Mittal Steel, it's a little tougher, because you have to track who buys their stuff and put some pressure on/inform those buyers. half the time, they don't even know who are the higher and lower polluters. I think it will eventually work, and I won't have to set myself on fire to do it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2007, 10:26 AM
It's always bothered me how intense the Korean students' protests against the U.S. have been. What exactly are they protesting?

Come on, you can't be serious. How would you like Brazilian troops in Minneapolis for 50 years? People are emotional about their national identity, sovereignty. Foreign troops might be useful from a security standpoint, but of course it feeds resentment and conspiracy theories.

When I hear Bush speak lately about the "Korean Model" for Iraq, i get really angry. The idea that American troops are EVER going to be accepted there is ludicrous. Too much bad history now.

LL2
09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
It's always bothered me how intense the Korean students' protests against the U.S. have been. What exactly are they protesting?

Come on, you can't be serious. How would you like Brazilian troops in Minneapolis for 50 years? People are emotional about their national identity, sovereignty. Foreign troops might be useful from a security standpoint, but of course it feeds resentment and conspiracy theories.

When I hear Bush speak lately about the "Korean Model" for Iraq, i get really angry. The idea that American troops are EVER going to be accepted there is ludicrous. Too much bad history now.

Well said.

Patler
09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
I think it will eventually work, and I won't have to set myself on fire to do it.

Yes, but you will never know if self-immolation is more effective or not unless you try it! Wait...I guess YOU wouldn't know then, either! :lol:

There was actually quite a bit of that in this country in the 1960s, for and against various causes. There was amazing video footage of one protester back then who was doused with fuel, then lit himself and sat completely motionless on the street as he burned for the longest time, until he simply tipped over, still with his legs crossed, and obviously dead. Others I saw were visibly in pain as they burned, but not this guy.

BEARMAN
09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
With all the love other countries are showing the USA, why then do we still send them all aid is excess of 100's of BILLIONS of USA dollars ? Walk all over our colors (flag) yet have your hands held out for aid !? Bad mouth us and say how unholy the USA is all the while your hands are held out wanting USA aid !? "F*CKING USA", ... NO, "F*CK YOU" and your lame ass excuses for wanting the USA to hand you Billions in aid ! How dare you disrespect the USA then in the same breath ask for USA help. NO MORE ! STOP ALL AID ! Take care of ours and tell the rest of them to go to hell ! :evil:

OK, I'm done, anyone else feel the same as I ?

Zool
09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I do, but less emoted. I've often said that the good will we build with our own national debt might end up being our downfall.

hoosier
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
With all the love other countries are showing the USA, why then do we still send them all aid is excess of 100's of BILLIONS of USA dollars ?

Newsflash: we don't send foreign aid to be nice, and we don't do it to get a smile and thank you in return.

Freak Out
09-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Free speech can be very distasteful at times...but the alternative is China/Iran/North Korea and on and on........I'll deal with the occasional affront to my shining American moral standards.

mraynrand
09-19-2007, 12:47 PM

Maybe you can't be serious. The troops were there as a 'nuclear trigger' like in Germany to prevent an invasion and/or use of nukes. Any attack would have killed enough Americans to guarantee American involvement in a conflict started by China via N.K. And your Brazil comparison is flatly stupid, as is your reference to Iraq. If the U.S. were threatened by a foreign invasion or ruled by a despot like Saddam, I'd be frickin' ecstatic to have a country come in and protect and/or liberate. Brazil indeed! Don't be a fool.

Kiwon
09-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Note: The point I was illustrating is teaching children to be prejudice.

The U.S. military involvement has obviously been a boon to South Koreans by bringing peace and the opportunity to prosper.

Rumsfeld was planning for very significant US troop reductions and turning over the JSA and first responsive to South Korea. Leaders in the Korean military and government panicked and postponed any such moves.

Most South Korean males serve 2 years and 2 months of mandatory military service in their early twenties. There is a plan to cut this 2 years.

North Korea maintains its 1,000,000-person army by forcing its citizens to serve for 10 years (ages 16-26). Which place would you rather be a citizen of?

The satellite shot of the Korean Peninsula by night tells the whole story:
http://www.norajean.com/Blog/wp-images/N-KoreaDark.jpg