PDA

View Full Version : A Few Random Observations

The Shadow
09-18-2007, 08:50 PM
1. I predicted a Packer upset over the Chargers in week 3 in a post some time ago & I am sticking by it. In looking over the schedule, I figured that the Chargers, opening with the Bears and taking on the Pats in an evening contest the following week, would have to be at least somewhat emotionally drained by week 3 - when they would face a Packer team that has been, until recently, looked upon by the national media as a weak sister.
And I stick by that prediction : I really expect the Packers to beat the Chargers Sunday.
The combination of our new stout defense (which may very well be capable of containing LT), a smart passing attack, and formidable special teams play may be enough to pull it off.
2. I am greatly enjoying the 'new' Brett Favre. I have always felt that Brett suffered from a kind of fatal flaw - that although possessed of truly rare physical ability, he refused to evolve as a true field general, ala Bart Starr. I believed he would retire almost exactly the same player he was when he entered the league - relying solely on arm at the expense of smarts. I saw a player that, even after many years of experience, was just as capable of a rookie mistake as a great play. Maddening!
After 2 games (early, I admit) I see a quarterback finally playing smart.
So for me at least, this could well turn out to be Favre's best year of all.
3. The whole team seems to have much more energy than the teams of the Sherman years.
4. Boy, what a great feeling to not have to dread punting the ball back to the opposition. A solid defense always seems to keep you in the game.
5. This team is clearly on the ascendency. After so many years of muddled management, what a great feeling to have a GM who really knows what he's doing and a coach who can mold the talent provided.

RashanGary
09-18-2007, 08:59 PM
These Packers are VERY exciting and they have the means to continue to get better and better with no financial wall in the near future.

The Packers are a team to be reckoned with for the next 5 years. TT is doing his job to a T. Ironic :). Maybe that is the third T in Merlins name :)

Speaking of Merlin, him and Retail guy have been awfully quite. You wonder if they'll admit being wrong if the Packers make it to the playoffs. I doubt they will. PB, gbpackfan and others have admitted they may have been wrong. RG and Merlin seem completely invested in defeat as Rush would say.

falco
09-18-2007, 09:06 PM
These Packers are VERY exciting and they have the means to continue to get better and better with no financial wall in the near future.

The Packers are a team to be reckoned with for the next 5 years. TT is doing his job to a T. Ironic :). Maybe that is the third T in Merlins name :)

Speaking of Merlin, him and Retail guy have been awfully quite. You wonder if they'll admit being wrong if the Packers make it to the playoffs. I doubt they will. PB, gbpackfan and others have admitted they may have been wrong. RG and Merlin seem completely invested in defeat as Rush would say.

Goddam left wing posters! They hate the packers!!!

Rastak
09-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Dude, it's week 2. Packers do look solid as hell but I'd wait a few weeks before calling those guys out.

b bulldog
09-18-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm excited about the Pack but we could easily lose our next two games.

Joemailman
09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
I agree with much of what Shadow said, but his claim that Favre has never emerged as a great field general like Starr is off the mark. I suspect that Starr himself would strongly disagree with that sentiment. A lot of people focus on Favre's interceptions, while at the same time thinking that Starr seldom made mistakes. Actually, Starr had about 1 out of every 23 passes intercepted, compared to 1 out of 30 for Favre. I'm sure some may point out that since Starr retired, there have been rule changes which favor the passing game, which would favor Favre. However, it is also true that Favre has had to face much more complex defenses than Starr had to face.

Bottom line is that Starr and Favre were both great quarterbacks, and both were great field generals. It is really only their styles that differed.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Did Starr really have 9 TDs and 17 interceptions the year of their second Super Bowl victory? That was 14 games, right?

oregonpackfan
09-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree with much of what Shadow said, but his claim that Favre has never emerged as a great field general like Starr is off the mark. I suspect that Starr himself would strongly disagree with that sentiment. A lot of people focus on Favre's interceptions, while at the same time thinking that Starr seldom made mistakes. Actually, Starr had about 1 out of every 23 passes intercepted, compared to 1 out of 30 for Favre. I'm sure some may point out that since Starr retired, there have been rule changes which favor the passing game, which would favor Favre. However, it is also true that Favre has had to face much more complex defenses than Starr had to face.

Bottom line is that Starr and Favre were both great quarterbacks, and both were great field generals. It is really only their styles that differed.

Starr also had many quality players around him both on offense and defense than Favre has had.

retailguy
09-18-2007, 10:28 PM

I've been around. I post here and there, but have been and continue to be damn busy at work.

I am grateful that they're playing better than I thought. I still don't believe they're a "force" to be reckoned with, the OL and RB's will destroy that. Funny, though, I was concerned about (in this order, I believe), OL, RB, TE, Safety and Special Teams. Other than special teams, and safety (tho the depth is very suspect), my concerns were right on. So far, they have been able to compensate, once due to our 2007 miracle, but we'll see. can they continue that for FOURTEEN more games? ahem. we'll see.

Last week is being touted as their "most complete game". If that's true, we're in for a bumpy ride ahead. NYG are no powerhouse and they averaged 5.9 yrds per rush attempt. Since we won, I won't talk about our ypc...

I'm patiently waiting.... and watching. I'm not going away. either way, I'm not going away. i'm just reading what you and others are writing. we'll see who eats their words. the fat lady is not even warming up yet, much less singing.

RashanGary
09-18-2007, 10:39 PM
haha, nice to see you are around, RG.

I'll eat my words if the time comes. For now, I'm just happy to see things going more my way than yours :)

There is a little stubborn pride in me that doesn't want to be wrong. I'm sure that is the same pride that you have. You know, the pride that has you invested in defeat :)

Enjoy the season man. Sherman sucks. Get over it :)

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Funny, though, I was concerned about (in this order, I believe), OL, RB, TE, Safety and Special Teams. Other than special teams, and safety (tho the depth is very suspect), my concerns were right on.

TEs have been pretty damn good. You might have been wrong about the majority of your concerns. The OL will play better. Who knows about the RBs. At least, they are young and have the potential to get better.

Bretsky
09-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Funny, though, I was concerned about (in this order, I believe), OL, RB, TE, Safety and Special Teams. Other than special teams, and safety (tho the depth is very suspect), my concerns were right on.

TEs have been pretty damn good. You might have been wrong about the majority of your concerns. The OL will play better. Who knows about the RBs. At least, they are young and have the potential to get better.

TE's stunk IMO in game one and were good in game two. The OL should get better; in reality their run blocking can't get much worse so that might not be saying much. Safety is still a big TBD as well.

That being said, I'm glad we're 2-0 and that's one more win than I expected us to be at right now.

HarveyWallbangers
09-18-2007, 10:59 PM
TE's stunk IMO in game one and were good in game two. The OL should get better; in reality their run blocking can't get much worse so that might not be saying much. Safety is still a big TBD as well.

That being said, I'm glad we're 2-0 and that's one more win than I expected us to be at right now.

Other than the drop by Bubba, how would you say they stunk? They did have 6 receptions in game 1, and 8 receptions and 2 TDs in game 2.

I think we're all worried about the run blocking and RBs at this point.

Safety? So far, so good. There haven't been too many of those terrible breakdowns--like you saw last year or see with other teams even. I haven't seen the safeties get beat much. There were two good throws. One by McNabb to Curtis in the first game. One by Manning to Burress in the second game. They happen. Plus, Collins misplay on the Shockey ball. However, they are hitting people. They are tackling. They've broken up some plays. They have been around the ball enough that if those first two throws had been off by a little bit, they would have been picks. I'd say the safeties would get at least a B up to this point.

Special teams would get an A- up to this point. Good coverage. Good returns. Turnovers. Ryan has to get his act turned around though, and so does Rob Davis.

superfan
09-19-2007, 12:58 AM
I wasn't terribly concerned about the OL following the draft, but their play in the preseason raised several red flags. Now, I'm definitely concerned. Pass pro has been OK, run blocking has been abysmal. Clifton and Colledge, especially, have been major letdowns.

TEs have exceeded my low expectations in the first two games. I haven't seen enough of the RBs yet to have an opinion on where we stand there. OL will play a much bigger role in the success of the ground attack.

Going into the draft, WR looked like a big concern. Now it looks like we might be able to manage even with Jennings out, although without him it is overall a position of weakness. If he remains unable to play and something happens to either Driver or James "Earl" Jones, then the offense is really in trouble. If Jennings can return healthy and contribute at his previous levels, then WR becomes a position of strength.

Irregardless, it is way too early to start suggesting whether anybody is "winning" based on their training camp and preseason opinions and speculations.

the_idle_threat
09-19-2007, 01:00 AM
I believe the proper word is "Irregardly." Please make a note of it. :idea:

Agree on all points, btw.

SD GB fan
09-19-2007, 01:02 AM
i just want us to stay competitive in this next games. chargers are frustrated and are waiting to explode some time.

FritzDontBlitz
09-19-2007, 01:12 AM
I wasn't terribly concerned about the OL following the draft, but their play in the preseason raised several red flags. Now, I'm definitely concerned. Pass pro has been OK, run blocking has been abysmal. Clifton and Colledge, especially, have been major letdowns.

TEs have exceeded my low expectations in the first two games. I haven't seen enough of the RBs yet to have an opinion on where we stand there. OL will play a much bigger role in the success of the ground attack.

Going into the draft, WR looked like a big concern. Now it looks like we might be able to manage even with Jennings out, although without him it is overall a position of weakness. If he remains unable to play and something happens to either Driver or James "Earl" Jones, then the offense is really in trouble. If Jennings can return healthy and contribute at his previous levels, then WR becomes a position of strength.

Irregardless, it is way too early to start suggesting whether anybody is "winning" based on their training camp and preseason opinions and speculations.

superfan, shouldnt your pic say "i'll be your huckleberry" rat?

heh

superfan
09-19-2007, 01:23 AM
I believe the proper word is "Irregardly." Please make a note of it. :idea:

Agree on all points, btw.

Thanks for the correction, Idle. Please disirregard my previous post.

the_idle_threat
09-19-2007, 01:24 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

superfan
09-19-2007, 01:28 AM
superfan, shouldnt your pic say "i'll be your huckleberry" rat?

heh

"Say when" 8-)

I could quote that movie all night.

So is your name a Shurmur reference? Always wondered about that.

Apologies to all for the :jack:

Fritz
09-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Irregardlessly, the offensive line is a concern. Still, there really no good alternatives at this point, so you have to hope that with time they will jell.

The punting is becoming a concern as well. What happened to Ryan?

I suppose if it means Jennings will be completely healthy then I am okay with him sitting out one more, but this is becoming worrisome.

I think the Chargers will be p.o.'ed about last week and will be too much for the Packers to handle.

Still, this is more fun than it has been for the past couple of years.

Carolina_Packer
09-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Did Starr really have 9 TDs and 17 interceptions the year of their second Super Bowl victory? That was 14 games, right?

You are correct, Harvey. And...your Brewers just keep laying waste to the Astros, who look completely punchless. Too bad about Sheets; they guy has no luck health-wise. Cubbies and Brewers tied. We'll see who can sprint to the finish. Sure would be nice to have some help from Zambrano.

retailguy
09-19-2007, 10:45 AM

Well, ok Harv, I'll take "MIGHT". In the pre-season and before the training camp started, I was definitively WRONG by the majority here, now you say "might".... Yeah, OK.

The OL has been HORRIBLE to this point, by anyones analysis. So has the running game. I acknowledged that the safeties were playing well, but that the backup depth was suspect. What, exactly, is wrong with that? Yes, spc teams has been a remarkable success.

Like everything Harv, we're 2-0. Who cares? I'm just concerned that things will turn around quick if we don't figure those things out. Asking the defense, spc teams, and the WR's to "cover" things for the next 14 games won't work. Players get tired.... the meat of the schedule is coming.

JH - Why do you have to be an ass? I just don't get it.. You say you aren't going to do this shit, then you do it.... Proclaiming victory either way after two games is STUPID. Let's let 'em play for a while, OK?

Edit - Oh by the way... TE's are still a concern for me. Yes, they've played well, but, there are only two of them, both have been unreliable with drops in the past two seasons. Things could go south in a hurry with the wrong defensive coverage... which we may see as soon as this week. Let's face it, right now, our "one-dimensional" offense is not really difficult to defend against right now. Thinking we're "healed" after facing the NYG dismal defense is not much of a test, really.

How did we look offensively against the Eagles? Not so hot as I recall. And, oh yeah, they got spanked HARD against the Redskins. So, them Eagles might not be so hot, and we couldn't move the ball against them worth BEANS. Jason Campbell looked like Warren Moon (in his prime) out there for a while Monday night. Doesn't that worry anybody besides me?

this place is starting to look like the guests on board the Titanic 15 minutes before it hit the iceberg.

We're doing great, but lets not lose perspective, OK? BTW - I'm enjoying the defense. For me, it was a surprise. If the secondary holds up long term it could become special, even without our inactive 1st round pick...

The Shadow
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
An effective short passing game can alleviate much of the running game angst.
I think opponents may begin to be so concerned with the short passing that they ease up more on protecting the run, and that might get our rushing attack back on track.

The Shadow
09-23-2007, 05:11 PM
1. I predicted a Packer upset over the Chargers in week 3 in a post some time ago & I am sticking by it. In looking over the schedule, I figured that the Chargers, opening with the Bears and taking on the Pats in an evening contest the following week, would have to be at least somewhat emotionally drained by week 3 - when they would face a Packer team that has been, until recently, looked upon by the national media as a weak sister.
And I stick by that prediction : I really expect the Packers to beat the Chargers Sunday.
The combination of our new stout defense (which may very well be capable of containing LT), a smart passing attack, and formidable special teams play may be enough to pull it off.

.................................................. ........................................
However, I think that we must be wary of not letting unreasonable euphoria now cloud judgment.
It's clear that Thompson has, despite all the outrage and opposition to his method, now gotten the team firmly on the upward path toward excellence.
Are the Packers all the way there yet? I think not quite yet, because in envisioning a game against New England, I don't see a Packer win.
Still, we have a very young team of talented players with their best football ahead of them. With the defensive improvements and the resurgence of special teams, I think we can look forward with great confidence.

digitaldean
09-23-2007, 05:35 PM
First off, I think Mr. Marlon McCree will be significantly lighter in the wallet after his personal foul in the first quarter.

I was pleased with the overall performance of the line today.

Shawne Merriman was a non-factor. I was concerned that Favre was going to run for his life today against Merriman.

The running game abandonment can't happen every week, but it worked for today. Brett wasn't totally protected today, but it was enough protection to deliver the final score.

The first and goal at the one playcalling was maddening. Juice's bone up at the goal line damn near cost us the game.

Now can we see the difference the WR corps makes with Jennings in there. Man he kicked on the afterburners for the TD!

There's room for improvement, but this is a statement game without a doubt.

:cow: :pack:

Brainerd
09-23-2007, 05:37 PM
It's clear that Thompson has, despite all the outrage and opposition to his method, now gotten the team firmly on the upward path toward excellence.

3-0 is great and I'm thrilled. However...

Where does all this TT love come from? TT has gotten the team firmly on the upward path? MM doesn't get any credit? What about the remaining vets? Who are the stars of this team and where did they all come from?

Everyone complained about Sherman's one and out in the playoffs and rightly so. They called for his head and got his head. And in year three of TT what do we have? We are all going to be thrilled just to make the playoffs. Yeah TT baby, you've succeeded in lowering expectations.

If you haven't already read this http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8466 please give it a read and explain to me what the players mean when they refer to TT as cold and dark.

TT gets credit from me for three things. 1) Hiring MM. 2) Not sucking as bad as Millen in the draft. 3) He does seem to learn from his mistakes.

Lurker64
09-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I think largely the TT love comes from the concern that Thompson hadn't set us up with sufficient talent in order to win games, so that we'd lose whatever McCarthy did or not. Since we've been winning games, a lot of folks have been recanting on "we don't have the talent to win."

I think as a rule fans of teams who are sure of their talent (e.g. Bolts fans) blame their coaches for failures, but fans of teams who are unsure of their talent (e.g. us) tend to blame the GM's failure to provide adequate talent for lapses.

With inadequate talent, good coaching can't make you a contender, but with contending talent, inadequate coaching can make you a joke.

The Shadow
09-23-2007, 05:47 PM

1.Where does all this TT love come from? 2. TT has gotten the team firmly on the upward path? 3.MM doesn't get any credit? What about the remaining vets? 4. Who are the stars of this team and where did they all come from?
5, And in year three of TT what do we have? 6.We are all going to be thrilled just to make the playoffs. Yeah TT baby, you've succeeded in lowering expectations.
7. explain to me what the players mean when they refer to TT as cold and dark.
.................................................. ..................................................
1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
3. Ted Thompson hired Mike McCarthy
4. Look at the roster. Notice the talent upgrade.
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are
7. Does 3-0 represent lowered expectations? Since we've only played 3 games, are you demanding that we be 4-0 right now? Sorry, but I don't think that's possible.
7. If being 'cold & dark' translates to 3-o, I'll take it - over warm and bubbly and 0-3

Brainerd
09-23-2007, 05:53 PM

1.Where does all this TT love come from? 2. TT has gotten the team firmly on the upward path? 3.MM doesn't get any credit? What about the remaining vets? 4. Who are the stars of this team and where did they all come from?
5, And in year three of TT what do we have? 6.We are all going to be thrilled just to make the playoffs. Yeah TT baby, you've succeeded in lowering expectations.
.................................................. ..................................................
1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are
7. Does 3-0 represent lowered expectations? Since we've only played 3 games, are you demanding that we be 4-0 right now? Sorry, but I don't think that's possible.
7. If being 'cold & dark' translates to 3-o, I'll take it - over warm and bubbly and 0-3

Thankyou for putting so much thought in your rebuttal.

The Shadow
09-23-2007, 06:15 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.
In all honesty, it was easy, and didn't require much effort.

Brainerd
09-23-2007, 06:44 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

It was obvious that you didn't want to tax your intellect. If you had I'm sure you could have come up with 7-0 a bunch of times. Would have made your argument so much more convinicing. Everyone would have been in awe.

At least now I know "what the shadow knows" and the shadow knows crap. I won't bother you anymore. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

The Shadow
09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

It was obvious that you didn't want to tax your intellect. If you had I'm sure you could have come up with 7-0 a bunch of times. Would have made your argument so much more convinicing. Everyone would have been in awe.

At least now I know "what the shadow knows" and the shadow knows crap. I won't bother you anymore. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I would have come up with 7-0 since we've only played three. But your statement dovetails nicely with the prior insights you've expressed.
Thank you for your offer to stop bothering me. The elderly must occasionally rest.

The Shadow
09-23-2007, 06:54 PM
At least now I know "what the shadow knows" and the shadow knows crap.

.................................................. ...............................................

PS : Were we properly introduced?

Brainerd
09-23-2007, 07:12 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if I would have come up with 7-0 since we've only played three. But your statement dovetails nicely with the prior insights you've expressed.
Thank you for your offer to stop bothering me. The elderly must occasionally rest.

The Packers won the final 4 games last year and now the first 3 games this year. That makes a total of 7. 4 + 3 = 7. Ok?

This was merely informative. To clear up a misunderstanding. I hope it wasn't a bother.

The Shadow
09-24-2007, 04:34 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

The Packers won the final 4 games last year and now the first 3 games this year. That makes a total of 7. 4 + 3 = 7. Ok?

This was merely informative. To clear up a misunderstanding. I hope it wasn't a bother.

.................................................. ................................................
Thank you. It was only a minor bother.

the_idle_threat
09-24-2007, 05:59 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

3irty1
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

.................................................. ................................................

Save this for the off season.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

I agree with what Brainerd said in the 3rd embedded quote. Shadow is full of it in his 2nd response.

The Shadow
09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
[quote:37b0d0832a="The Shadow"]

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

I agree with what Brainerd said in the 3rd embedded quote. Shadow is full of it in his 2nd response.[/quote:37b0d0832a]

You just possibly may have way too much time on your hands.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2007, 08:02 AM
[quote:edc287a2d0="Brainerd"][quote:edc287a2d0="The Shadow"]

1. We are 3-0
2. We are 3-0
5. We are 3-0
6. Yes, we are

You are quite welcome.

I agree with what Brainerd said in the 3rd embedded quote. Shadow is full of it in his 2nd response.[/quote:edc287a2d0]

You just possibly may have way too much time on your hands.[/quote:edc287a2d0]
Roger that, Shadow.