motife
09-19-2007, 07:11 AM
Chargers lack spark
Though talented, San Diego off to a dull start this season
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 18, 2007
Bob McGinn

Green Bay - Before the season, just about everyone in Wisconsin chalked up the San Diego Chargers' visit to Lambeau Field as a loss for the Green Bay Packers.

But San Diego, 14-2 last season, isn't even close to being the double-digit favorite it probably would have been, given a start commensurate with its personnel.

Indeed, the Chargers' workmanlike 14-3 victory over Chicago coupled with a humiliating 38-14 defeat in New England have made them just a 4 1/2-point pick over the surprising Packers (2-0) on Sunday.

"It's on the road and they're struggling both sides of the ball," a personnel director for an AFC team said. "Things change. I'd take Green Bay right now. If it was in San Diego, I'd take the Chargers. They're too talented not to get it together here soon."

The Patriots spread the field, blocked the Chargers' heavy pass rush and Tom Brady tore apart a suspect secondary. Brady completed 25 of 31 passes for 279 yards and a pair of long touchdowns to Randy Moss. He was sacked twice.

"Their holes are in their secondary," the scout said. "The whole secondary. If the Packers can get mismatches and protect well enough to give (Brett) Favre enough time, their back end is vulnerable. Their front seven is as good as any in the league."

The key, according to the personnel man, is containing LaDainian Tomlinson. Quarterback Philip Rivers has limitations without the threat of play-action.

"They need to run to pass," the scout said. "The whole offense goes off Tomlinson. Chicago and New England controlled Tomlinson. I'm sure the Packers are studying both tapes very hard trying to adapt their personnel and not let LaDainian get going."

Embarrassed by their inability to compete on Sunday night, the Chargers made the long flight back to the West Coast. Now they'll turn around Friday for a 4 1 /2-hour flight to Green Bay, where they'll practice Saturday.

"The Chargers are a physical team and you've got to play physical against them," a coach for a recent San Diego foe said. "The Patriots played hard and physical and really well. It will really come down to how well the Packers play."

Another AFC personnel director was thankful his team wasn't catching the Chargers this week.

"It's a scary team to play," he said. "This team is so talented, and it's built to win right now. I keep waiting for them to explode."

OFFENSE
SCHEME

The coordinator is Clarence Shelmon, but Norv Turner, regarded as one of the game's sharpest play-callers, makes the decisions. Turner's biggest influence was Ernie Zampese, but his greatest days came in Dallas from 1991-'93. His history is to go deep off play-action three to five times a game. With this team, he uses a power ground game with mostly two backs, lines up Antonio Gates all over the field and works creatively to get LaDainian Tomlinson the ball in space. The results have been awful after two weeks.

RECEIVERS

The speedy, athletic Gates (6 feet 4 inches, 260 pounds) is the most dangerous TE in football. Most safeties, let alone a linebacker, cannot cover him one-on-one. All the attention on him provides opportunities for flanker Vincent Jackson (6-4 1/2, 241), rookie split end Craig "Buster" Davis (6-1 1/2, 202) and Malcolm Floyd (6-4 1/2, 225). Jackson, a second-round pick in '05 from Northern Colorado, is fast (40-yard dash time of 4.49 seconds), sells out inside and blocks powerfully. A first-year starter, he still lacks refinement. The other starter, Eric Parker, has been out since August with a toe injury. Davis, the 30th pick, has 4.42 speed, good quickness and makes acrobatic catches. He needs seasoning, too. Floyd has great size and average speed. Former Ram Brandon Manumaleuna (6-1, 288) has 64 starts and is solid.

OFFENSIVE LINE

LG Kris Dielman (6-3, 310), a one-time defensive lineman at Indiana, is Pro Bowl-caliber. He's almost never on the ground, is very athletic and punishes people. C Nick Hardwick (6-3 1/2, 295), a third-round pick in '04 from Purdue, did make the Pro Bowl in '06. Similar to Scott Wells, Hardwick uses his hands well and is light on his feet. LT Marcus McNeill (6-7 1/2, 336), a second-round pick in '06, has played much better in the NFL than he did at Auburn. He's smart (28 on the Wonderlic), athletic and showing more toughness all the time. RT Shane Olivea (6-3, 312), a seventh-round pick in '04 from Ohio State who has been a solid starter since his rookie year, hurt his back on the third play Sunday night and might not play. If he doesn't, there would be a huge drop-off to Jeromey Clary (6-6, 306), who was beaten like a drum by New England's Ty Warren. Clary is tough enough, but lacks horsepower and quickness. RG Mike Goff (6-5, 311), with 117 starts, is the worst of the five, but isn't a weak link because he's such a good technician.

QUARTERBACKS

Philip Rivers (6-5, 228) is mature, tough, smart (30 on the Wonderlic), charismatic and driven. His intangibles are off the charts. However, he just isn't all that talented. With slow feet and a 5.0 40, he doesn't avoid easily and is no threat to run. He has an unorthodox delivery. His arm strength is average to above. His accuracy is fine. Rivers went to the Pro Bowl last season and had a terrific summer, but in the first two games, he has looked very common. He's making too many bad throws and poor decisions. Former Titan Billy Volek (6-1 1/2, 214) is No. 2.

RUNNING BACKS

Tomlinson (5-10, 221), the '06 MVP, has gone nowhere in two weeks. His speed, quickness, hands, route-running skills, power, cutting ability, heart and durability separate him from all other backs. His backup, Michael Turner (5-10 1/2, 237), can run in the high 4.4s, punishes tacklers and makes big plays. He'll get big money and a starting job as a free agent in '08. FB Lorenzo Neal (5-10 1/2, 255) is 36, but plays extensively and packs a punch as the lead blocker.

DEFENSE
SCHEME

Coordinator Ted Cottrell, whose defenses in Minnesota ranked 28th in 2004 and 21st in '05, came back as Wade Phillips' successor after sitting out '06. Cottrell kept the base 3-4, but has been blitzing more, especially from the dime package. The Chargers, ranked 10th in '06, generally play soft zone coverage, with a single safety deep.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Thick, strong NT Jamal Williams (6-3, 348) stuffs the run as well as anyone in football. Plus, he can really pursue. He had to play with one arm against the Patriots after suffering a hyper-extended left elbow. Igor Olshansky (6-5, 309) was made to play LE in a 3-4; RE Luis Castillo (6-3, 290) is even better. The Ukrainian-born Olshansky, a second-round pick in '04, is strong as an ox and recognizes blocking combinations better every year. Castillo, the 28th pick in '05, also holds the point well, but is a much better pass rusher. He's quick, fast and smart (37 on the Wonderlic). The top backup is swingman Jacques Cesaire (6-2, 295), who had four sacks in '06 playing 58% of the snaps. NT Ryon Bingham (6-3 1/2 , 303) isn't bad, either.

LINEBACKERS

Shawne Merriman (6-4 1/2, 267), the 12th pick in '05, plays the strong outside and then end on passing downs. With 4.69 speed, remarkable explosion and great intensity, Merriman is a mismatch for backs and tight ends. Adequate in coverage, he is effective against the run, especially chasing from the back side. Shaun Phillips (6-3, 262), a fourth-round pick in '04 from Purdue, is more of a slippery, finesse type of rusher with 4.73 speed. He is better suited for coverage than Merriman, but isn't as stout against the run. After letting the aging inside duo of Donnie Edwards and Randall Godfrey depart as free agents, the Chargers start Stephen Cooper (6-1, 235) on the strong inside and Matt Wilhelm (6-4, 245) on the weak inside. The underrated Cooper is good against run and pass, blitzes well and finds the ball. If a calf injury sidelines the average Wilhelm, Tim Dobbins (6-1, 246) would have to start. Dobbins can mash the run, but is a liability in space.

SECONDARY

Neither of the cornerbacks, Drayton Florence (6-0, 195) nor Quentin Jammer (5-11 1/2, 204), play the ball well. Florence, a second-round pick in '03, is a better athlete than Jammer, the fifth pick in '02. Florence is fast and fluid, but doesn't like to tackle. Jammer is very physical and can be effective in bump and run, but when playing off the receiver he anticipates poorly and is late driving on the ball. Nickel back Antonio Cromartie (6-2, 203), the 19th pick in '06, is a raw, world-class athlete with 4.37 speed, but still gambles too much. Either FS Marlon McCree (5-10 1/2, 202) or SS Clinton Hart (6-0, 205), both of whom run about 4.65, might be replaced soon by the speedier Eric Weddle (5-11, 200), a second-round pick in '07. McCree, 30, is on his fourth team, but gets to balls by being alert. Hart, a nine-game starter as a rookie free agent for the Eagles in '03, is limited by speed and athletic ability, but does a decent job in center field. Weddle has done a lot of blitzing as the dime back.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Mike Scifres ranks among the NFL's top five punters. He has a great leg and generates terrific hang time. Nate Kaeding went to the Pro Bowl in '06, but is more of a top 10 kicker. He succeeds more by feel and timing than with raw power. Dangerous RB Darren Sproles or Davis will return punts, with Turner or Sproles handling kickoffs. Led by tough, talented Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood, the Chargers ranked ninth in this area in '06 and are good again.

hoosier
09-19-2007, 07:25 AM
No wonder they lack spark. Someone gave them the Giants' defense!

vince
09-19-2007, 07:30 AM
"It's a scary team to play," he said. "This team is so talented, and it's built to win right now. I keep waiting for them to explode."
My sentiments exactly.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I see a pile of dynamite that just lacks a spark.

fan4life
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
No wonder they lack spark. Someone gave them the Giants' defense! :lol:
I sent an email to McGinn. I wonder if the print edition has the wrong copy, too....

Joemailman
09-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Maybe the Chargers lack spark because they fired a guy who went 14-2 last year and replace him with a guy with a career mark of 59-83. They are talented, but there is a real chance they won't be as good as last year.

Patler
09-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Maybe the Chargers lack spark because they fired a guy who went 14-2 last year and replace him with a guy with a career mark of 59-83.

I've not seen much about it, but I wonder how that went over with the players.

motife
09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
The Defense is corrected now...

Sorry... I sent an email to Bob also.

He sounded "defensive" in his answer. "It wasn't my fault."

right.

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2007, 09:38 AM
I think we take a loss here. It doesn't appear we've figured out how to move the ball on a 3-4 team yet. We were shellacked by 3-4 teams last year, and we did nothing against Pittsburgh in the preseason. Personally, I'd be shocked if we won this game, but I know anything can happen in the NFL.

mraynrand
09-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Maybe the Chargers lack spark because they fired a guy who went 14-2 last year and replace him with a guy with a career mark of 59-83.

I've not seen much about it, but I wonder how that went over with the players.

Did they introduce him as 'Norvell?' I've always kinda liked the Chargers, but you have to wonder about bringing in Norvell. He's the offensive equivalent of Dave Wannstadt. McGinn just touched on the Zampese connection in Dallas. Zamopese and Norvell had a window there where they could do nothing wrong, but it was mostly due to overwhelming offensive talent. They had a great O-line, outstanding WRs, RB, FB and a decent TE. Offensive roster was littered with HOF guys. Charger fan has to be just cringing - all that talent and Shottenheimer and Norvell as coaches.. yechhh. Still, SD HAS plenty of talent and will likely win Sunday.

hoosier
09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
The Defense is corrected now...

Sorry... I sent an email to Bob also.

He sounded "defensive" in his answer. "It wasn't my fault."

right.

Too funny--you're apologizing and he's passing the buck :roll:

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I think it could easily be a very competitive game. The Packers defense can slow down any offense in the league.

The problem is the offensive line. I think they are stuck in neutral, I'm not sure they have 5 healthy guys right now. The Packer offense is running on fumes, they require Favre to have perfect accuracy on his throws to move the ball. The receivers aren't that open.

Packers will keep the game close if Farve has another hot day. He doesn't play great every game, you never know.

Patler
09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
A loss will not bother me...IF... the Packers look competitive. If they are blown out like they were too many time last year, I will be disappointed. It's not the final score I am concerned with, and I expect the offense might look over-matched against the SD defense. But, if GB's defense looks over-matched I will be disappointed.

If the defense looks competitive, and STs look decent, I will feel that progress has been made regardless of the ultimate result.

Harlan Huckleby
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I predict the Packers won't get blown out a single time this year.

Patler
09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I predict the Packers won't get blown out a single time this year.

I hope you are right about that. If you are, it will show significant improvement from last year. Good defenses have that effect.

I have to say, though the two-play length of the field scoring drive by the Giants was a bit unnerving!

The Leaper
09-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I have to say, though the two-play length of the field scoring drive by the Giants was a bit unnerving!

It isn't like the Giants are devoid of offensive playmakers. Manning is inconsistent, but talented. Shockey and Toomer are quality receiving threats. They put up a lot of offense against Dallas in the opener, and only got 13 against us.

Patler
09-19-2007, 11:00 AM

It isn't like the Giants are devoid of offensive playmakers. Manning is inconsistent, but talented. Shockey and Toomer are quality receiving threats. They put up a lot of offense against Dallas in the opener, and only got 13 against us.

I realize that, but knowing Schottenheimer is still on staff, seeing a 40 yard pass followed by a 26 yard pass for a TD conjures up old, unpleasant memories!

mraynrand
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM

I realize that, but knowing Schottenheimer is still on staff, seeing a 40 yard pass followed by a 26 yard pass for a TD conjures up old, unpleasant memories!

http://texasholdemblogger.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/ahmad-carroll.jpg

http://www.packersnews.com/legacy/photogallery/2005/game/091805/images/GNS_BROWNSTD2_091805DJP.jpg

Zool
09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Why pick at the scabs? I had totally forgotten about that play against the Browns. Although it was the first time I saw Collins in a flat out run. He ran past Carroll.

HarveyWallbangers
09-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Why pick at the scabs? I had totally forgotten about that play against the Browns. Although it was the first time I saw Collins in a flat out run. He ran past Carroll.

Is that Joey Thomas?

Zool
09-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Is that Joey Thomas?

Yup. I believe this was 2005 when he and Carroll had their war of words in the preseason. They both blew the coverage and Collins came out of no where to almost make the tackle.