PDA

View Full Version : LEROY BUTLER-Q&A after the Giants

Bretsky
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Week 2: LeRoy Butler analyzes Packers-Giants game
Posted: Sept. 17, 2007

LeRoy Butler
5 Questions

The day after each game this season, former Packers all-pro safety LeRoy Butler will team up with Journal Sentinel beat writer Tom Silverstein in our "5 Questions with LeRoy Butler" feature.
He'll answer five of our questions, and one from a reader. Following is the Q&A after Sunday's 35-13 victory over the New York Giants.

Q:Why do you think the Packers kept allowing the Giants' defensive ends to penetrate into the backfield and drop the running backs for losses?

A: When other teams face the zone blocking scheme the Packers run, the end, like Michael Strahan, when he goes into a different gap than he normally would it causes the problems. The tackle and guard are blocking in their areas and if he's not in their area they won't block him. If you're a man system, you always block the man instead of the area. The kryptonite to a zone blocking scheme are games and stunts, almost a disguise. What we used to do is shift and make them recount their blocking scheme. Sometimes you can be successful. You have to have an offensive line that is very experienced where it says it's going to block its area, but it's also going to have its head on a swivel to make sure nobody penetrates our gap.

Q: Who do you think should be starting at running back?

A: I relate the running back situation to basketball, you give the ball to the hot guy. And right now the hot guy is DeShawn Wynn. Now, I think it's his job until (Vernand) Morency can prove he can run the ball 15 to 20 times without injury. But DeShawn Wynn is a bigger guy so he can carry the load. And I'd love to see "25" (Ryan Grant) some more. I'd like to see him a little bit more on third downs and I'd love to see him on misdirection plays. He does look a little like Dorsey Levens. Dorsey was tough to bring down and Grant showed that on the screen pass. He's a positive runner and that's why I'd like to see more of him. He's got a chance to be very good. But I'm very high on DeShawn Wynn, not because he scored, but if you look at all his positive plays, the touchdown runs, he shows a lot of vision and has very good feet to avoid open-field tacklers. He made a veteran move on that long touchdown. I have all the confidence that Edgar Bennett will put the best guy out there and the hottest guy. I call it the Michael Redd syndrome. Get it to him until he misses.

Q: Do you think that Brett Favre can play the type of game he played Sunday - spreading the ball around short to all kinds of receivers - all season long?

A: The top three quarterbacks in progressions are Tom Brady No. 1, Brett Favre No. 2 and Carson Palmer No. 3. When I say progression, I'm talking patience. Brett realized that last week (Dallas tight end) Jason Witten killed these guys, so he went to Bubba Franks, he went to Donald Lee, he went to the fullback and I'll wait to go to Donald Driver in the back of the end zone. I'll wait until I get my opportunities. He was very patient. That's why Dallas killed the Giants, they killed them on the perimeter and with the backs. It was very exciting to see him play that efficiently. He did it because looking at the scoreboard you don't see them down 10 or 15 points the way he's used to. Now these games are close, he understands he has a great defense, he doesn't need to take a lot of chances. He understands the game a little bit more.

Q: How bad is the Giants defense and what does that say about the Packers' offense.

A: This is the pros and you have to win the games you're supposed to win. The Packers were supposed to beat them. They're a better team. The Giants defense is awful. The linebackers can't cover. The secondary doesn't cover very well in man-to-man. That being said, the Packers had a very good game plan and they deserve a lot of credit. The defense is new in New York with a new defensive coordinator, but the Packers attacked it well.

Q: Who do you think is the toughest player on the Packers other than Brett Favre

A: I'd say it's 74 (Aaron Kampman). He's the smartest guy first. But he's the toughest guy because you don't play end at 274 pounds and dominate the game. He doesn't get tired, he's smart, he understands the game and he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. When I think of tough, I think A.J. Hawk is there, but Kampman is just a tough guy. He's tough as nails.

Reader Question
Q: Please explain what the Packers' Quarters Coverage is. Specifically what are the DB's and LB's responsibilities? - John Bertuso, Kingsport TN

A: This is real easy. Quarters coverage is if you take the football field and split it into four quarters. Both cornerbacks have the outside quarters of the field and cover the two wide receivers. The two safeties are 8 to 12 yards deep. It's four across the board. I'll cover the guy who comes in my quarters you cover the guy in your quarters. For example, the Packers were in a quarters coverage when Plaxico Burress scored on that post route. He got behind Atari Bigby. He has to play deep to short. Everybody has a quarter and if Plaxico had gone back out to the corner it would have been the cornerback's man, Al Harris. But he was throwing it to Bigby's quarter. That's not on Al Harris, it's on the safety. There should be no deep passes completed in quarters coverage. Everything should be in front of you.

Badgerinmaine
09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
As I would have expected, Butler's analysis is well-informed and interesting. Thanks for putting it up there.

Joemailman
09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
What is Butler doing for a living these days? He should either be coaching or commenting on football full time. He puts clowns like Emmitt Smith to shame.

Carolina_Packer
09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Nice to hear an experienced player break it down. Thanks for sharing the transcript.

run pMc
09-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Another good article on defensive coverages (including quarters):
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5913750

And you wonder why it takes some QB's a while to figure out the pro game.

Badgerinmaine
09-19-2007, 09:29 AM
What is Butler doing for a living these days? He should either be coaching or commenting on football full time. He puts clowns like Emmitt Smith to shame.

Wasn't there some talk of him being a secondary coach in Green Bay a few years ago that fell by the wayside because he had too many other things on his schedule?

Carolina_Packer
09-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Sure would love to have him more than Kurt Schottenheimer! I understand they can't all come back and coach, but I think that LeRoy would be a good coach, and certainly would have the respect of his players.

Maxie the Taxi
09-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks. It's good to hear the scoop from a player's perspective.

Packers4Glory
09-20-2007, 01:36 AM
yes i want more Ryan Grant