PDA

View Full Version : Kegger

Partial
09-20-2007, 03:16 AM
Is there any way to throw a house party with the selling of booze but to circumvent any possible law infractions that might occur? It's illegal to sell alcohol period, and its very illegal to sell it to underagers. Is there a loop hole?

Any lawyers out there I am looking at you out of general curiosity.

Mazzin
09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
My suggestion is you would just buy the kegs, and than you would sell red dixie cups. If its your party, you just tell whoever is drinking out of a different cup to pay up or get out. Don't think its illegal to sell dixie cups for 5 to 10 dollars a pop. :wink:

SkinBasket
09-20-2007, 07:15 AM
And you call yourself a college student...

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 09:35 AM
My suggestion is you would just buy the kegs, and than you would sell red dixie cups.

I think dixie cups are considered drug paraphenelia.

Freak Out
09-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Is there any way to throw a house party with the selling of booze but to circumvent any possible law infractions that might occur? It's illegal to sell alcohol period, and its very illegal to sell it to underagers. Is there a loop hole?

WTF are you doing wasting time throwing a house party for minors? If you are going to break the law making $$$ you may as well just sell reefer. The profit margins are much larger and if you play it cool you will be fine. Unlike throwing a kegger and selling beer to minors..not that it will draw attention or anything.

Partial
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM
My suggestion is you would just buy the kegs, and than you would sell red dixie cups. If its your party, you just tell whoever is drinking out of a different cup to pay up or get out. Don't think its illegal to sell dixie cups for 5 to 10 dollars a pop. :wink:

No it definitely is.

Partial
09-20-2007, 12:11 PM

WTF are you doing wasting time throwing a house party for minors? If you are going to break the law making $$$ you may as well just sell reefer. The profit margins are much larger and if you play it cool you will be fine. Unlike throwing a kegger and selling beer to minors..not that it will draw attention or anything.

Not my thing at all.

Partial
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
And you call yourself a college student...

I am thinking there has to be a way to avoid getting an illegal tavern by forcing everyone to enter to give a mandatory donation of 5 dollars for our gift package.

Within that gift package, there is a thank you note and a cup.

Seems to me that that would effectively get me out of any charges of selling alcohol, especially if we post signs stating that.

Does the good old fashion "they told me they were 21 when I asked" work to avoid fines?

I am not looking to break any laws simply avoid any consequences that may come from a busted house party. Lots of people are over 21 but inevitably some are under and with the neighbors getting hit with 12k in total fines, it is definitely a risk not worth pursuing unless there is a loop hole.

Zool
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Does the good old fashion "they told me they were 21 when I asked" work to avoid fines?

no

SkinBasket
09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Pay one of your peeps to check IDs. Some little brats will be pissed, but fuck em for trying to put you in a bad spot. Unless of course your intention is to lure underage girls there in a beer-for-boobs scheme. But then you might as well just ditch the party and hire a hooker.

If you're selling cups make sure you mark them with something unique. Those wily kids tend to travel with dixies on party nights. You can always sell personalized art too, whereby your artist writes their initials on the buyer's hand.

It's all about rules and enforcement, Partial. There's a reason throwing parties is a pain in the ass for the person throwing it. You have to be the asshole while everyone else has fun.

Oh, and tell your "bouncer" to humiliate the underage kids. It will entertain the legals and word will spread quicker, meaning bigger profits for you.

Partial
09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
No no, we've done it a bunch of times and each time made over a grand profit. It is a very nice profit split 4 ways. We normally sell about 160-180 cups, and then sell out a whole bar. I would think the vast majority of the people there are freshman and sophomores, but we're in it strictly to make money and tap all 3 kegs at once so we're normally wrapped up within 2 hours.

Problem is now we think the cops are onto us. The last party we threw we found a police van staked out outside the house at about 1 am. I am not sure if they were there for us or what. The next night the upstairs neighbors through a party and were busted. No one there was 21, they got busted for operating an illegal tavern, etc. All in all, it was a very expensive night for them.

We are pretty smart about how we run it is terms of not getting caught. We have two people at the bar, two people at the door, and two people keeping things in line throughout the party. We pay two of the guys 20 bucks for helping us and give them a free cup. Not that it really matters, but we use a different color cup every week for the beer pong cups, the house cups, and the drinking cups. We have a selection of 12 colors from our local dollar store so it works out quite well. I've seen maybe 2-3 people sneak in cups but we take them away soon after. The bitch of it is all the girls who don't want to pay but come in saying they aren't drinking but end up playing beer pong. We normally get 3 kegs, sell 250 jello shots at a buck apiece, and then 4 1.75 cheapest bottles of booze we can find.

Because of the positioning of the house we'll never get a noise violation, but I am worried about having an undercover come in and buy a cup like what happened to the upstairs guys. Don't really know any way of stopping that so the goal would be to avoid those fines.

MJZiggy
09-20-2007, 01:33 PM

no

Not only that, if they leave and get into trouble, hurt or worse, you could end up responsible.

Merlin
09-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Not that I have done this in about 20 years but back then we used to sell carrots or apples at the door. And I might add we had the same people posted at every entrance the whole night so they knew who they let in. As far as minors, we only had to keep high schoolers out b/c the drinking age was only 18 - 19 back when I was in college. AS long as it didn't get rowdy, the cops left us alone.