PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is happening to our receivers?

sac2020
09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Now Jones is hurting!!!

Fritz
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
This is getting stupid. This is really, really bad NFL luck. It happens sometimes, but when it's your time it really sucks.

mraynrand
09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
This is getting stupid. This is really, really bad NFL luck. It happens sometimes, but when it's your time it really sucks.

Yeah, like in 2005 and especially in 2002. 1998 also wasn't so friendly - at least to the running backs. But when you look around the league, this is what every team struggles with - you have to have some luck to stay healthy and win it all.

packers11
09-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Holiday... Now Jones!!! :(

Hopefully this isn't serious but if it is JENNINGS NEEDS TO PLAY against the chargers...

Imagine going into the game on Sunday with:

Driver Martin and Chris Francies...

If they want to do a 4 WR set they'd have to bring up Clowney or Onrea Jones from the practice squad...

This is bad news... Really bad news...

Packnut
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Man, when it rains, it poors........ :cry:

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Lombardi the Healer

Read how Bill Curry, former Packer center, describes Vince's "old school" method of dealing with injuries...

"When I arrived in Green Bay to work for Lombardi, I quickly learned what the culture demanded. The second week I had a slight hamstring pull and went to the trainer for therapy. As I lay on the training room table, superstar Paul Hornung walked over. He was one of the few veterans that was nice to rookies. He asked, 'Whatcha got, kid?' I replied that my hamstring was pulled. He glanced around, leaned over in a conspiratorial manner, and said softly, 'The old man doesn't believe in hamstrings.'

"I stood, walked out of the training room and never returned while in Green Bay. Never."

(Above is an excerpt from Curry's article: "Injuries require intelligence, not toughness.")

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=curry_bill&id=2622535

Merlin
09-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I was wondering how many practices that Harris and Woodson miss throughout the whole year. I know they aren't big on OTA's and such. It seems that neither of them practice very much. Could that be why they aren't performing very well right now? Is that why they both seem to get better as the season progresses?

Partial
09-20-2007, 01:31 PM
I was wondering how many practices that Harris and Woodson miss throughout the whole year. I know they aren't big on OTA's and such. It seems that neither of them practice very much. Could that be why they aren't performing very well right now? Is that why they both seem to get better as the season progresses?

How are they not playing well? One is playing with one arm! They have given up, what 2 touchdowns in 2 games? Giving up 13 points a game against two of the most prolific offenses in the NFL is fairly impressive if I do say so myself.

And one of those TDs was a magical throw by Manning. Just a ridiculously perfect ball. No one in the league breaks that play up.

SkinBasket
09-20-2007, 02:07 PM
And one of those TDs was a magical throw by Manning. Just a ridiculously perfect ball. No one in the league breaks that play up.

Well, unless they're playing their coverage correctly any way.

Merlin
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM

How are they not playing well? One is playing with one arm! They have given up, what 2 touchdowns in 2 games? Giving up 13 points a game against two of the most prolific offenses in the NFL is fairly impressive if I do say so myself.

Harris has committed stupid penalties and Woodson has a case of the slips. Not to mention some blown coverages. They are playing "ok" but definitely not to the standard we are accustomed to.

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2007, 02:33 PM
They are playing "ok" but definitely not to the standard we are accustomed to.

The standards we are accustomed to are teams running right at KGB for big chunks of yardage, Poppinga getting burned in coverage, guys missing tackles, and the likes of Manuel and Carroll getting toasted deep.

You aren't going to have a game where you get pressure on every snap, miss a tackle, blow a coverage, or slip on the turf.

mmmdk
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
The hammy thing is on the coaches; they should stress warmups. It's a really silly injury that should easily be avoided; being a former soccer coach (kids) I cannot relate to dumbfounding approach by such coaches. Other than that; Packers coaches are doing better than expected with NFLs youngest team.

GoPackGo
09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
The standards we are accustomed to are teams running right at KGB for big chunks of yardage, Poppinga getting burned in coverage, guys missing tackles, and the likes of Manuel and Carroll getting toasted deep.

thats exactly what I saw last year! great call

Tyrone Bigguns
09-20-2007, 06:40 PM
The hammy thing is on the coaches; they should stress warmups. It's a really silly injury that should easily be avoided; being a former soccer coach (kids) I cannot relate to dumbfounding approach by such coaches. Other than that; Packers coaches are doing better than expected with NFLs youngest team.

OH, please. You aren't really comparing your soccer coaching to the packers coaches/trainer/etc.

Do you really think that all the NFL trainers don't know what they are doing?

LEWCWA
09-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I agree Tyrone, how lame....like professional athletes don't warmup and stretch....This is a tough fast physical game!

mmmdk
09-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I agree Tyrone, how lame....like professional athletes don't warmup and stretch....This is a tough fast physical game!

Listen, punk, of course (good) athletes do warmups...but apparently you've never been to an NFL game. Look at pre-game warmups by any unit - it's (at times) a joke! Some aren't even stretching out - even Favre has been notoriously lazy in pre-game warmups; Favre is lucky he's made of titanium but in resent years even he's had to get serious. McCarthy is all about pumping iron and it's not out the question that warmups get too little emphasis from Pittsburgh macho McCarthy. God, I hate you Online buddies who think they can "google" their way through life.

Rastak
09-20-2007, 08:47 PM

So which is it, shitty hamstrings or shitty warmups? Hamstring injuries are common in the NFL but if you don't warm up you are far more at risk. I think you are doing a diservice to our Danish friend.

mmmdk
09-20-2007, 08:52 PM

So which is it, shitty hamstrings or shitty warmups? Hamstring injuries are common in the NFL but if you don't warm up you are far more at risk. I think you are doing a diservice to our Danish friend.

Thanx!

mmmdk
09-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Listen, punk, of course (good) athletes do warmups...but apparently you've never been to an NFL game. Look at pre-game warmups by any unit - it's (at times) a joke! Some aren't even stretching out - even Favre has been notoriously lazy in pre-game warmups; Favre is lucky he's made of titanium but in resent years even he's had to get serious. McCarthy is all about pumping iron and it's not out the question that warmups get too little emphasis from Pittsburgh macho McCarthy. God, I hate you Online buddies who think they can "google" their way through life.

...maybe saying "punk" was uncalled for!?

4and12to12and4
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM
This is just shit luck. Running as fast as you can in real game speed can never be replicated in practice. Shit happens. The Cub's Soriano has had two hamstring pulls this year missing many games. The trainers and staff all say that he stretches and runs and trains more than anyone on the team. So, sometimes, great athletes get into the moment and push themselved just a step further than they should trying to make a play and end up with a pulled muscle. It's happened to all of us who've played sports. I had so many friggin' muscle cramps running bases in my early thirties it was ridiculous. Now I don't stretch like these guys, but my muscles are 1/4 the size and and not even close to as fast as they are. These are the greatest athletes playing against one another. Everytime I see a hard hit, I'm surprised the guy gets up. Let's just hope they come back healthy so they don't reinjure said muscle. That would be stupid coaching.

Partial
09-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Well, unless they're playing their coverage correctly any way.

That ball was thrown into double coverage. Watch the replay. It was a classic Favre toss, where he squeezes the ball where it ultimately shouldn't go and somehow makes an amazing play out of it.

Partial
09-20-2007, 09:23 PM

I actually agree with you. My guess is the players don't stretch nearly as much as they should. Keep in mind to get a complete body stretch it can take an hour per day. They'd be a hell of a unit if the all put in that time.

Partial
09-20-2007, 09:24 PM
This is just shit luck. Running as fast as you can in real game speed can never be replicated in practice. Shit happens. The Cub's Soriano has had two hamstring pulls this year missing many games. The trainers and staff all say that he stretches and runs and trains more than anyone on the team. So, sometimes, great athletes get into the moment and push themselved just a step further than they should trying to make a play and end up with a pulled muscle. It's happened to all of us who've played sports. I had so many friggin' muscle cramps running bases in my early thirties it was ridiculous. Now I don't stretch like these guys, but my muscles are 1/4 the size and and not even close to as fast as they are. These are the greatest athletes playing against one another. Everytime I see a hard hit, I'm surprised the guy gets up. Let's just hope they come back healthy so they don't reinjure said muscle. That would be stupid coaching.

Well said. I agree completely with this as well.

LEWCWA
09-20-2007, 10:40 PM
These guys make millions on the conditioning of their bodies. You can rest assured they do plenty of stretching and conditioning. Muscle pulls and strains happen and not just to the Packers....It is amazing to me that some would assume teams don't take this seriously when they are paying this kind of money!

LEWCWA
09-20-2007, 10:42 PM

Chill out dude! Your going to pull a brain string :P

Partial
09-20-2007, 10:44 PM
These guys make millions on the conditioning of their bodies. You can rest assured they do plenty of stretching and conditioning. Muscle pulls and strains happen and not just to the Packers....It is amazing to me that some would assume teams don't take this seriously when they are paying this kind of money!

I think the coaches and orgs take it seriously. I think the players take it for granted a lot. My guess is a lot of these guys are not in the best of shape coming into camp and are going full speed while unconditioned to do so. That is why pulls, strains, sprains and tears occur.

MJZiggy
09-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Sheesh....

From Kffl

Packers | Franks limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:46:53 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers TE Bubba Franks (knee) was limited in practice Thursday, Sept. 20, but he is expected to play Week 3.

Packers | Jolly limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:46:34 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers DT Johnny Jolly (heel) was limited in practice Thursday, Sept. 20, and his status for Week 3 is uncertain.

Packers | Woodson misses practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:45:28 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers CB Charles Woodson (hip) missed the team's practice Thursday, Sept. 20. His status for Week 3 is uncertain.

Packers | C. Williams limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:44:55 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers DT Corey Williams (ankle) was limited during the team's practice Thursday, Sept. 20. He appears likely to play Week 3.

Packers | Jenkins limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:43:57 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers DT Cullen Jenkins (wrist) was limited during the team's practice Thursday, Sept. 20, but he appears likely to play Week 3.

Packers | Kampman limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:41:48 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers DE Aaron Kampman (ribs) was limited in practice Thursday, Sept. 20, but he is expected to play Week 3.

Packers | Rouse limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:39:46 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers S Aaron Rouse (hamstring) was limited during the team's practice Thursday, Sept. 20. He could be another week or two away from returning.

Packers | Moll limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:38:55 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers OT Tony Moll (neck) was limited in practice Thursday, Sept. 20. He might be available for backup duty Week 3.

Packers | Spitz limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:38:34 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers OG Jason Spitz (calf) was limited in practice Thursday, Sept. 20. He should be available for backup duty Week 3.

Packers | Jennings misses practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:36:05 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers WR Greg Jennings (hamstring) missed the team's practice Thursday, Sept. 20. He will take part in practice Friday, Sept. 21, and the team will not know about his chances to play Week 3 until later in the week.

Packers | Morency unable to practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:35:21 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers RB Vernand Morency (knee) was unable to do anything during practice Thursday, Sept. 20. His chances of playing Week 3 appear slim.

Packers | A. Harris misses practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:33:31 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers CB Al Harris (back) missed the team's practice Thursday, Sept. 20, but he appears likely to play Week 3.

Packers | Montgomery limited in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:32:59 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers DE Mike Montgomery (knee) was extremely limited in practice Thursday, Sept. 20. He is out for Week 3.

Packers | J. Jones injured in practice Thursday
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:58:26 -0700

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports Green Bay Packers WR James Jones (hamstring) injured his hamstring during practice Thursday, Sept. 20. His availability for Week 3 is in doubt.

Partial
09-20-2007, 10:51 PM
They'll all be fine. He's giving them an easy week. Need to be at full energy for this week.

Anyone else think our receiving corps so far looks pretty good? Tight ends, as well.

mmmdk
09-21-2007, 07:33 AM

I think the coaches and orgs take it seriously. I think the players take it for granted a lot. My guess is a lot of these guys are not in the best of shape coming into camp and are going full speed while unconditioned to do so. That is why pulls, strains, sprains and tears occur.

Also very good arguments! Good posts!

mmmdk
09-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Chill out dude! Your going to pull a brain string :P

I love chill out music. :P

run pMc
09-21-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm sure they stretch and warmup..well most of them. Some people require a LOT of stretching, others can just stretch for 15 seconds and they're ready to go.
As a runner, I find that the older I get the more I have to stretch. I wonder if the youth of the roster has something to do with not stretching enough and getting muscle pulls. Certain positions (WR, CB) having more hamstring problems isn't surprising...all those sprints can be hell on your legs. With all the collisions they take, I'm amazed they're still able to run down the field and remember which play they're running.
My fear is that the hamstring pulls don't heal up and become a ongoing problem. Look at how many games Randy Moss has been hurt with hammy injuries. OK, so it may also be that he plays when he wants to, but still.

The Leaper
09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
As athletes become bigger and stronger, these injuries will be more common. The human body is an amazing design...but it still has its limits. 220 pounds of human moving at 20mph brings a lot of force on muscles that weren't there 20-30 years ago when the athletes weren't as finely tuned.

It isn't because players don't stretch or because trainers are incompetant.

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
As athletes become bigger and stronger, these injuries will be more common. The human body is an amazing design...but it still has its limits. 220 pounds of human moving at 20mph brings a lot of force on muscles that weren't there 20-30 years ago when the athletes weren't as finely tuned.

It isn't because players don't stretch or because trainers are incompetant.

I agree here. I can guarantee you when I was in high school we didn't lift weights, at least not like they lift weights today. We didn't have a weight room. Even in college there was no emphasis on "bulking up." The thought then was weight-lifting makes you muscle-bound. We had guys 220 and up then, but it wasn't 220 lbs. of ripped muscle, not by a long shot. It was mostly pizza and beer.

Nowadays athletes are ripped with little body fat. Yes, these guys are strong and fast and they can do things we never dreamed of back in my day. But by the same token I believe the price we pay today for extra-human performances on the field is more injuries. All that muscle puts a tremendous strain on the human frame. And that's not even getting into the whole steroid thing.

All you have to do to get my point is look at wrestlers 40 years ago and look at them today. Guys today are lifting weights and bulking up on nuturition (and drugs). Dick the Bruiser was a pizza and beer guy.

I know you have to bulk up to play today's game, but players back in my day -- I think -- were more durable. Of course, that might have something to do with attitude as well, and ignorance of what playing with injuries can do to your body in later life.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

First, idiot, do you not think that a team that has invested millions in players would allow them to do as they please. That is a joke.

Second, the cause of hamstring injuries is pretty unknown. But, with your extensive pee wee soccer coaching i'm sure you already knew that. Researchers have identified an array of risk factors, including muscle imbalance, lower back and hip problems, fatigue, insufficient warm-up, age and previous injury. The question is whether any — or a combination — of factors are to blame.

"It is complicated because there are so many factors. You roll your ankle and say, 'OK, that ankle is going in an abnormal position.' Hamstring injuries occur during normal activity," says Tanya Hagen, assistant professor of orthopedic surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center/Center for Sports Medicine.

Says Thomas Best, co-medical director of the Ohio State University Sports Medicine Center: "There could be multiple things going on. It is challenging and perplexing."

Some stretching exercises once thought helpful in prevention now are considered taboo. Many researchers question the value of stretching at all.

Some hammy injuries happen early..inadequate warmup (and warmup doesn't equal stetching chump) and some happen late..FATIGUE.

It might begin with muscle tears. A lot of sprinters (and those guys stretch all the time) will tell you it felt tight for a long period of time before the pull. So, maybe they already had a previous injury.

Or it can be an inbalance tween the quads and the hammies.

And, lets not even address the fact that research shows once you've had one you are way more susceptible in the future.

"Jogging, trotting, doing an activity that sort of replicates what you're going to be doing," says McKeag, who says that increases the blood flow to and nourishment of the muscles. But, what does he know considering he is director of the Indiana University Center for Sports Medicine...he isn't a know it all pee wee soccer coach.

Wait for it...wait for it...."From a psychological standpoint, a lot of people feel much better after they stretch," McKeag says. "But generally, all the data and the evidence would suggest our long-held belief that stretching is beneficial in preventing injuries probably doesn't exist."

Shocking then that to keep warm, some NFL players pedal exercise bikes on the sideline. Many wear compression shorts, tight across the thighs..why would they do this...TO KEEP WARM you euro dope.

And, finally...a word from guys who might know something about it..since they live the life.

Santana Moss, "Man, you can stretch all day. When it comes, it comes."

David Patten, "I stretch all the time," he says. "That's why for it to happen, it really blew my mind."

GAME, SET, MATCH.

Google: I have no idea what you are referring to. But, in this case, i would think you might try it once in a while. You might learn something.

Tyrone Bigguns
09-21-2007, 02:32 PM

Oops, posted mine before reading this.

wow. common sense. You would think everyone would have it.