PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Bodiford waived by the Redskins

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I wonder if he's healthy. It would make sense to sign Bodiford (if he's willing to come back) and put Tony Palmer on IR. You have to figure Bodiford ranked higher than Chris Francies in the minds of the organization.

Carolina_Packer
09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Yeah, he would help, plus, he would provide depth for special teams.

Merlin
09-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I would assume Bodiford would know the offense somewhat. YOu would think he could at least step in situationally and be effective.

Lurker64
09-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I suppose the questions are:
1) Does he want to come back here?
2) Is he a better option than Francies?

Merlin
09-20-2007, 02:28 PM
I am trying to knock the dust out from last year about Francis. Didn't he play okay when he was on the team?

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 03:28 PM
1) Does he want to come back here?

Why wouldn't he, there is a roster spot open.

2) Is he a better option than Francies?

I don't know how anybody in our forum would know. Maye somebody saw them in college?

Brohm
09-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Francies is to the WR what Patrick Dendy was to the CB last year, but with practice squad eligibility left. He knows the system and is adequate to fill in but is someone you will be looking to replace.

If Bodiford is healthy I am guessing they take a look as he was in competition for the 5th spot, is good on ST and knows the sytem.

Badgepack
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Unless he is absolutely horrendous, the Packers should see what Clowney has to offer if Jones and Jennings can't go.

mraynrand
09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Unless he is absolutely horrendous, the Packers should see what Clowney has to offer if Jones and Jennings can't go.

Clowney wasn't ready, assignment-wise.

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
I am trying to knock the dust out from last year about Francis. Didn't he play okay when he was on the team?

I don't remember Francis standing out in any way. Boddiford and others caught my eye. When I see Chris Francis, I think NFL Europe (no offense meant to those fans) like we had at WR a couple years back

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 04:43 PM
As soon as Bodiford is healthy, he'd be the perfect replacement for Holiday. As far as the top 3 WR's go, we really need to get Jennings and Jones healthy. Martin, Francis, Holiday, Bodiford, whoever. . . Those guys don't make a difference. They are just guys on offense. We need our big three healthy for a good strech.

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM
As soon as Bodiford is healthy, he'd be the perfect replacement for Holiday. As far as the top 3 WR's go, we really need to get Jennings and Jones healthy. Martin, Francis, Holiday, Bodiford, whoever. . . Those guys don't make a difference. They are just guys on offense. We need our big three healthy for a good strech.

Exactly

Regardless of what happens Sunday we'd all have jumped at being 2-1 after three games.

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2007, 07:11 PM

I was excited when the Packers drafted Clowney. I think they saw him as the deep threat they needed, someone who could stretch the field for them. I've heard he didn't play as fast as he timed. Big disappointment. I'm hoping he steps up and turns his career around.

Incidentally, Clowney comes from the same school, Virginia Tech, as Carroll Dale, the man many think was their key acquisition in 1965.

"[Dave] Robinson [the best outside linebacker in Packer history] said the key to the Packers winning three consecutive titles was [Carroll] Dale.

"When Carroll came in 1965 (from Virginia Tech), he gave us the deep threat we didn't have,'' said Robinson. "He filled a big void for us.''

jramsey495
09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
well, they put palmer on the IR so maybe that's what they are thinking...

http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

KYPack
09-20-2007, 09:02 PM

I was excited when the Packers drafted Clowney. I think they saw him as the deep threat they needed, someone who could stretch the field for them. I've heard he didn't play as fast as he timed. Big disappointment. I'm hoping he steps up and turns his career around.

Incidentally, Clowney comes from the same school, Virginia Tech, as Carroll Dale, the man many think was their key acquisition in 1965.

"[Dave] Robinson [the best outside linebacker in Packer history] said the key to the Packers winning three consecutive titles was [Carroll] Dale.

"When Carroll came in 1965 (from Virginia Tech), he gave us the deep threat we didn't have,'' said Robinson. "He filled a big void for us.''

Love the Old School references, Maxie.

Carroll Dale was a huge addition to the Pack. He went to VT, but he was an established pro. He came to us from the Rams in a trade for LB Dan Currie. Vince then traded HOF center Jim Ringo and FB Earl Gros to the Eagles for OLB LeRoy Caffey and the rights to Texas Tech's Donny Anderson.

Lombardi re-tooled the team with a couple slick trades.

Vince was a HOF GM as well as a great coach.

Rastak
09-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Love the Old School references, Maxie.

Carroll Dale was a huge addition to the Pack. He went to VT, but he was an established pro. He came to us from the Rams in a trade for LB Dan Currie. Vince then traded HOF center Jim Ringo and FB Earl Gros to the Eagles for OLB LeRoy Caffey and the rights to Texas Tech's Donny Anderson.

Lombardi re-tooled the team with a couple slick trades.

Vince was a HOF GM as well as a great coach.

Maxie is an old dude (not there is anything wrong with that).

KYPack
09-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Chris Francies and Dendy were two examples of NFLE talent we had on the roster last year. Francies is a little guy and not much of an athlete. Bodiford impressed me. He's no finished product, but he's a physical guy who could at least help on ST.

Clowney? He needs a year on PS. He can't help on returns, a young kid who's two years away from playing WR in the league. He's track fast, but not so quick on the field. I saw him fall on his nose when he was wide open on one KR in PreSeason.

Carolina_Packer
09-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Glad to have you here Maxie. It's nice to have someone who remembers those days to help bring that perspective. One of my first Packer memories is a 1975 game where the Packers beat the mighty Cowboys. We were at my Uncle Bill's house in Fort Atkinson, WI at a family gathering and of course all of the guys were huddled around the TV. What a game. I was 9 and hooked from that time on. There weren't a lot of good times back then, as you well remember, but there were some. '78 was fun, '82 was fun, despite the strike, and that Monday Night game against the Skins in '83...wow.

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Glad to have you here Maxie. It's nice to have someone who remembers those days to help bring that perspective. One of my first Packer memories is a 1975 game where the Packers beat the mighty Cowboys. We were at my Uncle Bill's house in Fort Atkinson, WI at a family gathering and of course all of the guys were huddled around the TV. What a game. I was 9 and hooked from that time on. There weren't a lot of good times back then, as you well remember, but there were some. '78 was fun, '82 was fun, despite the strike, and that Monday Night game against the Skins in '83...wow.

Thanks. I remember that Skins game. Wow is right. I was sitting here trying to think of my earliest Packer memories. I guess it was when they hired Vince. Packers weren't much to remember before that.

As a kid, when getting together with relatives on Thanksgiving, I remember gathering around the TV too, as I suppose most families in Wisconsin still do. I think this year the Pack plays the Lions on Thanksgiving so that will be special.

KYPack, I remember that Carroll Dale trade now. Dale was one of those sneaky fast players, but he could run routes. He had a knack for getting open. Clowney, by the way, reminds me of Bob Long. I think it was Lombardi that brought him in to stretch the field. He did too. Mostly fly patterns. Sometimes the fast guys, like Bob Hayes, don't have to catch everything, just get behind the defense and make them know they're there.

Yeah, Rastak, I'm an old dude. Good thing there's nothing wrong with it cause there's nothing I can do about it. (lol)

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Boddiford could be the ticket to me losing my sig :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2007, 12:15 AM
ha!!! picking-up a former player who's out the street is not much of a free agency move. But technically I guess it counts.

Guiness
09-21-2007, 08:07 AM
why the hard-on for Bodiford? We had him here, and he didn't show enough to stick. I guess he's a body while we wait for the others to come back...

Bretsky
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
why the hard-on for Bodiford? We had him here, and he didn't show enough to stick. I guess he's a body while we wait for the others to come back...

He showed some very good special teams potential; he seems better than what we have in Francis. I was a bit surprised we cut him

run pMc
09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Didn't we cut him because he was hurt?

Anyone else wonder if he'd just be keeping the seat warm for K.Robinson? (Not that I expect KoRo to contribute after a long layoff.)

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Didn't we cut him because he was hurt?

I think that was a big part of it. Plus, it would seem that Bodiford was ahead of Francies on the depth chart. Bodiford got claimed by another team, and Francies did not.

Carolina_Packer
09-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Well, they liked him well enough last season to have a look at him, and then he got hurt. I'm sure it doesn't help that he's hurt again. We have enough of that. I'm sure if there was anyone that great out there, we'd have already tried to get them in the fold.