PDA

View Full Version : Jason Whitlock compares Favre to Barry Bonds

GoPackGo
09-20-2007, 02:35 PM
What a poor excuse for a writer

8. It's not quite as bad as Barry Bonds surpassing Hank Aaron, but Brett Favre slipping past John Elway on the all-time career victories list strikes me as an injustice.

Brett Favre has had a nice career, but for now the list of great QBs in the last three decades starts with John Elway.

It's not that I think Favre did anything unethical to get the record. I just don't think Favre is in the same class as Elway as a winner. Favre is going to retire with most of the prominent quarterback records. He's the new Dan Marino, a fantasy-league, first-ballot Hall of Famer.

But when I think of all-time great winners, Elway, Joe Montana and Tom Brady top that list.

If Packers fans were honest with themselves, they'd acknowledge that Reggie White was the most important Packer during Green Bay's two Favre-quarterbacked Super Bowl appearances.

For the record, the five best quarterbacks of the last 30 years: 1. Elway; 2. Montana; 3. Manning; 4. Brady; 5. Marino/Favre.

Until Brady and/or Manning appear in five Super Bowls, I won't even entertain the idea of Elway stepping down as No. 1. In reality, Elway is the Thurgood Marshall of all-time quarterbacks; he has a lifetime position and can only be removed at his own request.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7245984?MSNHPHMA

Zool
09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
If Packers fans were honest with themselves, they'd acknowledge that Reggie White was the most important Packer during Green Bay's two Favre-quarterbacked Super Bowl appearances.

He's right. Randall Cunningham was great in his superbowl years. Those Philly D's werent that great with Reggie and Jerome Brown in the 5-2-4.

Huh? They didnt get to one at all? You sure? I'll have to go back and check.

mraynrand
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
This guy's a good modern journalist. Create controversy, insult people, etc. It's so much harder to craft an actual argument based on facts or observation. All commentary on the tube these days seems to be 2 heads yelling at over and around each other. Newspapers are learning this trick, especially through their online blogs, etc.

PackerTimer
09-20-2007, 02:51 PM

8. It's not quite as bad as Barry Bonds surpassing Hank Aaron, but Brett Favre slipping past John Elway on the all-time career victories list strikes me as an injustice.

Brett Favre has had a nice career, but for now the list of great QBs in the last three decades starts with John Elway.

It's not that I think Favre did anything unethical to get the record. I just don't think Favre is in the same class as Elway as a winner. Favre is going to retire with most of the prominent quarterback records. He's the new Dan Marino, a fantasy-league, first-ballot Hall of Famer.

But when I think of all-time great winners, Elway, Joe Montana and Tom Brady top that list.

For the record, the five best quarterbacks of the last 30 years: 1. Elway; 2. Montana; 3. Manning; 4. Brady; 5. Marino/Favre.

Until Brady and/or Manning appear in five Super Bowls, I won't even entertain the idea of Elway stepping down as No. 1. In reality, Elway is the Thurgood Marshall of all-time quarterbacks; he has a lifetime position and can only be removed at his own request.

This is retarded. He contradicts himself with his own criteria. He defines success by Super Bowl appearances? What the hell is that? Elway with five super bowls and only two wins cannot beat Montana with four appearances and four wins, with one of them head to head against Elway. His opinion about Brett Farve has no credibility.

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
How many Superbowl appearances/rings does Troy Aikman have?

BF4MVP
09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Jason Whitlock annoys the shit out of me..He did before I read this article, and even moreso now..

packinpatland
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Hey, when you title your article 'Ten Truths..........' how can anyone argue?

I like when you click on his name and it asks if you'd like to 'bookmark this experts page'. :roll:

One more case of bashing Favre='15 minutes'.....................in this case 14 minutes and 59 seconds.....if that.

woodbuck27
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Yea whatever.That is about what I would expect fr. a lot of the NFL experts.

All that matters to me is that I and the vast majority of Packer fans realize what Favre has been for us and will go on to being into another season.

Unless his back gets broken he will be back in 2008.

Hopefully he finally gets all the support his talent and dedication deserves in the next off season. Please Mr. Thompson.

Huhhaa ! :)

The absolute most exciting and competitive QB (and talentd with special skills and natural strengths) I have ever seen in almost 50 years following the NFL.

He is my ALL TIME favourite PRO athlete because I dig all that he has become.

Favre is very special. :)

GO PACKERS !

Brohm
09-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Didn't Reggie say that one of the biggest reasons he chose GB was because he believed in Farve?

woodbuck27
09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Didn't Reggie say that one of the biggest reasons he chose GB was because he believed in Favre?

That is the story or the biggest part of Reggiw White and coming to Green Bay. There was a lot of the other as well including $ of course. :)

Mike Holmgren did a fine job there as I re-call the story.

GO PACKERS !

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2007, 04:44 PM
How many Superbowl appearances/rings does Troy Aikman have?

Freak Out
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
....and of course Mr. Ed could not win a SB until the chop blockers showed Davis the way into the endzone. Another ESPN crack smoker.

LEWCWA
09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
RETARDED!!! One losing season in his career! :?:

MasonCrosby
09-20-2007, 07:35 PM
i never have liked jason whitlock's stuff. he's a first rate idiot. how, right now, can you put brady and manning above Favre??? till they play as many seasons all the way through like Favre they are well below him.

packinpatland
09-20-2007, 07:51 PM

I read this again and the first sentence is just so silly.

but Brett Favre slipping past John Elway on the all-time career victories list strikes me as an injustice.[/b]

Stats are stats. Black and white. There was no 'slipping'.

Rastak
09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Very odd story....

DannoMac21
09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
What a dumb article

Kiwon
09-20-2007, 08:04 PM
How much "injustice" can there be when contemporaries compete in the same era and under the same rules?

Just imagine if John Elway never won a Super Bowl? Where would he rank then? It's just his opinion so take it for what its worth.

Some Yankee fans were actively rooting against Roger Maris when he broke Babe Ruth's home run record for a season in 1961. The romance of nostalgia had taken them and they were adverse to anything that diminished Babe Ruth's statue.

Records are meant to be broken. Live with it and give credit to where credit is do.

mmmdk
09-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Very odd story....

I'm baffled how bad this article is! :shock:

VegasPackFan
09-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Would anyone know where to find a stat of QB's who played over ten years and what their winning and losing season totals are?

I would like to see those numbers to compare.

4and12to12and4
09-20-2007, 09:18 PM
....and of course Mr. Ed could not win a SB until the chop blockers showed Davis the way into the endzone. Another ESPN crack smoker.

So, Reggie won our Superbowl. Then why did Desmond get the MVP? If you're gonna bash Favre, do it with facts. Also, good post, about Davis, Brett was AMAZING in that second Superbowl, everytime "Davis" scored, Brett came back with an amazing passing drive. We lost that game because our d-line were on lifelines as Davis zipped by them. Elway just kept handing him the ball, and Brett, if not for a dropped pass, may have still scored the winning drive in that game. Give me a break. Elway was GREAT, I always loved watching him play, and Brett and his play are uncanny in their resemblance. Both could avoid sacks, throw on the run, rocket arms (Favre's stronger) and great at last minute comebacks. But, all in all, it's stupid to try to figure out which QB is the greatest, to me they are the best two to ever play, and everyone else is going for second. They both had and have that FIRE, that IT about them that made and makes everyone around them better. Let's just call it a tie. They are both awesome.

woodbuck27
09-22-2007, 09:10 AM
" Brett Favre has had a nice career, but for now the list of great QBs in the last three decades starts with John Elway. "

The TRUTH is in this:

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/individual_records/favre_watch/

Scott Campbell
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Brett Favre has had a nice career, but .............

I think that's all you've got to read here. A nice career. Nice. Yeah, and Babe Ruth had a nice career.

This is just a mediocre obscure writer trying to garner a little attention for himself.

Terry
09-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Well, then, I guess you'd have to list Bart Starr as #1 - he appeared in AND won 5 championship games.

As for Babe Ruth, when you take into account the number of games played AND the changed (circa 1930) home run rule regarding balls that curved foul, I don't know if anyone has even come close to the Babe.

the_idle_threat
09-22-2007, 10:53 PM

Well, then, I guess you'd have to list Bart Starr as #1 - he appeared in AND won 5 championship games.

Otto Graham

Played 10 seasons of professional football. Appeared in 10 championship games. Won seven.

Also played one season of professional basketball. Appeared in the championship game and won.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Only us Packer fans that have watched this football god play for 15 plus years knows that he is easily the best QB of all time. Payton is a product of his teammates. My god, can you imagine if Favre had the same four great receivers for 6 years in a row. Brett made Sterling Sharpe one of the best receivers ever. He would be considered up there with Rice if he played 12 years in the league. The strongest receiver that ever played the game. NEVER got tackled by one defender in the open field and unbelievable hands. Hell, if Brett even had Javon these past two years we would've probably won a playoff game last year at least. And this year, we would have an awesome offense. Brett has had ONE, count 'em, ONE losing season his entire career. That is ridiculous. But for a freak play in the Eagles postgame, and eightyfive fumbles by Green against the Rams, we may have had four Superbowl appearances. The fact that this man is 2-0 at his age throwing every pass that no one else is capable of throwing in their prime proves he is the Jordan of the NFL. Period. Interceptions? Sure, but usually only because of trying to keep a subpar team in the ballgame. Favre is the most exciting football player to ever put on a jersey. LT is a close second. Call me a homer. I sees it how I sees it.

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Maybe it is my age (46) but I do remember Unitas and Starr playing.

I don't know if there is anyone better at a 2 minute drill than Unitas.

Bart Starr threw beautiful passes. Always a nice tight spiral and back then QB's called the plays. Leadership meant more then. Only Warren Moon threw a ball close to the beauty of Starr's.

If the argument comes down to who is best all time, I think it is best to look at what each of them did best. Montana had a wide field of vision and always saw the open man. Nobody asks how he would do without Rice. Yet you saw some of it in Kansas City.

Elway had a strong arm but was the most selfish of the top players. I can't think of any clear cut strengths.

Marino had a quick release and no real faults in his game. Is it his fault he never won the big one?? He could made several Miami 6-10 teams into 10-6 teams and into the playoffs.

One guy who retired with many records that have since been surpassed is Frank Tarkington. He moved around buying time to throw but he is never considered one of the greats. Like Elway he had few strengths that surpass other QB's.

Brett always showed up for work, has the strongest arm ever, never quit in a game always playing to win. Brett is the best I've ever seen at threading a needle and putting the ball in a tight spot. Jerks who only read stat sheets will talk about INT's but it really is a sign of one of his strengths. Always trying to win. Only one losing season for Brett.

Brett is not anyone else but Brett. Had the Packers won the NFC championship game in 95 (some of you know how close that was), and had they won the SuperBowl as the favorites they were in 97, history would paint a slightly different picture. Why do the critics never mention 3 consecutive MVP's and then being the runner up in 2002?

Brett still has some more playoff success left in him. Next year perhaps moreso than this season.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, I can't compare the Starrs and Unitas's to Favre because the defenses Brett is facing are ridiculously more complicated and quicker than back in those years. Yeah, there were tough guys, the butkus', steel curtain, etc., but the average lineman was 260 lbs. I have never seen defenses as domimant as the best in the league these last 6 years. Not even close. So it's apples and oranges. Brett Favre is the best because he is not the best is every category, but he is in the top three in EVERY category. And his toughness and arm strength puts him over the top. Plus, guys, ONE losing record. ONE. That's unbelievable especially when you see the talent or lack of he had in the beginning of the 21st century and in the early nineties. He singlehandedly won so many games its ridiculous. The fact that we almost beat the Broncos in the Superbowl was ALL Brett, but our defense just screwed him. If Peyton loses his receivers and continues to play without getting hurt (good luck) and wins with shit receivers and a shit oline, then I will back down and give it to him. Brady is harder to judge because he has a genius coach, always great defense, and plenty of weapons. The one year he had no offensive weapons was last year, and see what happened. But, to me, I think Brady is the only QB i consider even close to Brett, and that's because of the Superbowl wins. But the teams he had to beat were weak those years. We won when Dallas and San Fran were still awesome teams. Ok, enoughs enough. I'm a homer, sue me.

esoxx
09-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Bart Starr won 7 Championship games in his career.

Back then, the Super Bowl was an after thought.

The NFL Championship Game was the one for all the marbles, per se.

Bart guided the Pack to five NFL Championships & the first two Super Bowls (of course, they weren't called Super Bowls back then either).

A true winner. As were they all.

4and12to12and4
09-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Bart Starr won 7 Championship games in his career.

Back then, the Super Bowl was an after thought.

The NFL Championship Game was the one for all the marbles, per se.

Bart guided the Pack to five NFL Championships & the first two Super Bowls (of course, they weren't called Super Bowls back then either).

A true winner. As were they all.

Yeah, but he had the greatest coach of all time, unbelievable talent, and only about 8 legit teams to play against and a bunch of upstart sucky teams. I've seen a lot of footage of Bart Starr, he is no where near the talent of Brett. Yeah, the Championships, but, Trent Green has a ring, and he didn't do shit in that game. If Favre played in that era with that team, he would've probably had 7 undefeated seasons. Maybe I'm wrong, it's hard to compare generations. Everyone was just so slow back then.

Kiwon
09-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Maybe it is my age (46) but I do remember Unitas and Starr playing.

Bart Starr threw beautiful passes. Always a nice tight spiral and back then QB's called the plays. Leadership meant more then. Only Warren Moon threw a ball close to the beauty of Starr's.

Ha! Remember Billy Kilmer's passes?

Quack, quack, quack :D They weren't pretty but they got where they needed to be. The guy played 16 seasons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/images/redskins/oldies/kilmer.jpg