PDA

View Full Version : Observations when rewatching Giants game

Partial
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
1. There was a series of plays in the 4th quarter when the Packers had a solid hit on Eli (forcing him to get rid of the ball in a terrible pass, sack, fumble, etc) for 6 straight passing plays in the fourth quarter. That to me is a testament to the quality of our defensive line. That is a downright scary prospect for any opposition and shows that we'll be 60 minute men.

2. Juice Coston subbed equal amounts in the 4th for Spitz and Colledge. If you look, 72 is in the game for about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the 4th quarter. Whenever Spitz is in, Colledge is not. So much for Spitz's demotion coming from him being too injured to play!

3. By the 4th quarter, our defense and special teams are flying around still laying the wood, and with each hit, it seems to energize them even more. It seems that this team finally has a tough bad-ass side to it that likes to hit and takes pride in their ability to hit. I like that our team has an edge now.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
football season is the one time I really, really wish I had TIVO.

woodbuck27
09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
I certainly miss not having the means to record the game at the present, as I always did when I lived in the Maritimes.

That recording enabled me to look at the Packers more thouroughly for the finer stuff.

To study the efficiency of the OL and DL and to see when a Packer got stuck in his mud. :)

GO PACK GO !

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I certainly miss not having the means to record the game at the present, as I always did when I lived in the Maritimes.

Woody, I heard that TV has come to Canada, they set-up a satelite dish in every village or something. Are you saying they only have television on the coast?

Maxie the Taxi
09-20-2007, 03:36 PM
football season is the one time I really, really wish I had TIVO.

Football season is the one time I really, really wish I lived in Wisconsin instead of Florida.

mraynrand
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM

Woody, I heard that TV has come to Canada, they set-up a satelite dish in every village or something. Are you saying they only have television on the coast?

There's a old-fangled device called a VCR. If the tube is showing the game, you can hook up the VCR and record the images to a thing called a 'tape.' then you press 'rewind' then 'play' and you can see the game over again. But be careful, it can be disconcerting the first time you see the same images again. You might think it's a new game being broacast live, but it is not.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I decided that I'm too good for VCR, threw out my machine.

Trouble is, I'm not good enough for a DVR recorder and certainly not worthy of TIVO, so I'm stuck with nuthin. Ahhh, tech snobbery gets you every time.

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
2. Juice Coston subbed equal amounts in the 4th for Spitz and Colledge. If you look, 72 is in the game for about 1/2 to a 1/3 of the 4th quarter. Whenever Spitz is in, Colledge is not. So much for Spitz's demotion coming from him being too injured to play!

When did Clifton get hurt? Was Colledge playing LT on these 4th quarter plays?

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I think you are right, Harv. McCarthy said Spitz got them out of a bind. He praised Spitz for playing hurt.

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 04:54 PM

Trouble is, I'm not good enough for a DVR recorder and certainly not worthy of TIVO, so I'm stuck with nuthin. Ahhh, tech snobbery gets you every time.

WTH, HH. You seem like a well educated fellow. You telling me your post college salary can't afford you a $100 DVR? I went out and bought one just for the football season.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Can a DVR record an entire game?? (I guess the double-layer format would.) Can you record multiple times on the same disk without problem?

thanks for shaking me out of my complacency, JH.
Maybe I could splurge.

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 05:05 PM
You can record up to 6 hrs on one, one sided disc.

If you want the highest quality, you can only get an hour. I put it on the second to last setting and get 4 hrs.

I think I'm going to record on the 3 hr quality setting this week to see how it compares. I'll just stop it for half time and maybe a couple commercials if I remember.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Thank you for your report, JustinHarrell.

I need to know one more thing: Is your recorder compatible with any reusable disk formats?

I guess not, or you would be using them.

The single-layer disks are cheap. But then you can't get high quality on 2 or 3 hours. :(

But then the double-layer, use-once disks cost several dollars each, :evil:

It's these perceived frustrations that have kept me from pulling the trigger on a DVR recorder. Thanks for your help, if you haven't gotten bored and left already.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I think I'm going to record on the 3 hr quality setting this week to see how it compares.

OK, I will await your experiment.

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Mine just works with DVD R and DVD RW

I'm not aware of it recording any clearer with the double layer.

I've never recorded on top quality. I've only recorded on low quality. That said, it's good enough for me. It's not 1080p or anything, but it allows me to watch the game when I'm bored. It records as clear as a VCR and that is enough for me.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
OK, DVD-RW is good. But after looking around, DVD-RW is only available in single-layer, meaning it is stuck at 4.7 GB. That's just not good enough to make me happy, I want to be able to record for 3 hours in good quality.

I guess a unit with a hard disk is the way to go.

So I'm back to where I started: I'm too much of a snob to mess around with VHS tapes anymore. And I'm too cheap to buy a TIVO-like recorder.

Partial
09-20-2007, 06:02 PM

When did Clifton get hurt? Was Colledge playing LT on these 4th quarter plays?

No. Colledge was not in the game.

Clifton Juice Wells Spitz Tauscher

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I watch on my 19" TV before I go to bed or when I'm running on the treadmill. I don't think I could tell the difference if it were higher quality.

If you use it on a big TV I could see it being an issue.

Partial
09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Why wouldn't you get a hdd based one instead of an optical media one? Doesn't seem nearly as economical to me.

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I saw nothing from Orange Juice Coston Sunday to make me believe he should not be called a fruit

Partial
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I saw nothing from Orange Juice Coston Sunday to make me believe he should not be called a fruit

I actually thought he was pretty decent on many of the screen passes.

RashanGary
09-20-2007, 06:19 PM
Why wouldn't you get a hdd based one instead of an optical media one? Doesn't seem nearly as economical to me.

I wouldn't doubt if I made a mistake. That said, it works for me so I'm not going to complain. In three years I'll be able to get something 3X better for the same price.

I paid $125 for my DVR and 50 disks. It will take me 4 seasons to use them all up and I don't record anything but Packer games. The next time I make a tech purchase I'll ask people in the RR what to get as I don't read anything about technology EVER!!

I really don't care to know anything about technology except for times like this when I learn that I should have done something differently.

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then. I hate getting ripped off :(

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 06:27 PM
JH, you have a system that works perfectly well for you for very little money. You could do no better.

4and12to12and4
09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I have DirectTv and the NFL Ticket. It's awesome, I saw at least a good portion of every single game last week. I love it. I've got both first two games taped and have watched them both four times each. Every time I rewatch them I focus on a particular player or group of players. It's so cool. I feel like an NFL analysist. It's amazing the nuances you miss watching it just once.

The thing I've noticed more than anything about this year is that Favre is REALLY understanding what defenses are doing and doing a great job not allowing the defense to know when the snap is coming. He mixes it up great. The line is doing great not to jump offsides. He hard snaps and finds out little things the defense tells, and then he changes routes and other things. It has really helped our passing game, because Brett is prepared for who is coming at him and where the defense is gonna be. Let's see if he can do the same to the Chargers as Brady did.

KYPack
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I really feel we now have 3 mediocre guards instead of two. The only thing i saw that encourged me was Coston made a play or two in which he moved his man. On was on a screen and another was on a run.

Other than that, I haven't seen a guard make a physical play and push his man around. These guys just haven't progressed this year at all. It's early, last year they progressed as the season went on, but sheesh they are slow to get goin' this season

Partial
09-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I have DirectTv and the NFL Ticket. It's awesome, I saw at least a good portion of every single game last week. I love it. I've got both first two games taped and have watched them both four times each. Every time I rewatch them I focus on a particular player or group of players. It's so cool. I feel like an NFL analysist. It's amazing the nuances you miss watching it just once.

It is absolutely impossible to correctly determine what is going on in the trenches in one viewing. It just goes too fast. I normally watch about 5 times to really pick up on what is good and what is bad. This DVR is the greatest invention for football ever!

Partial
09-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I really feel we now have 3 mediocre guards instead of two. The only thing i saw that encourged me was Coston made a play or two in which he moved his man. On was on a screen and another was on a run.

Other than that, I haven't seen a guard make a physical play and push his man around. These guys just haven't progressed this year at all. It's early, last year they progressed as the season went on, but sheesh they are slow to get goin' this season

They need to hit the deadlifts and squats hard and improve their trunk size and strength. The gluteus maximus is one of the biggest muscles in the body and if you want to be powerful it needs to be strong.

Likewise, I feel part of it is the lack of a nasty streak. These guys don't seem to like contact and being physical.

In the off-season, I would have these guys eat up and put on 10 pounds a piece. Clearly, they're getting blown up at the line of scrimmage so the smaller linemen thing is not working.

I say put them on a full-out bodybuilder bulk. They'll add some fat but a lot of muscle.

4and12to12and4
09-20-2007, 09:29 PM

It is absolutely impossible to correctly determine what is going on in the trenches in one viewing. It just goes too fast. I normally watch about 5 times to really pick up on what is good and what is bad. This DVR is the greatest invention for football ever!

Agreed. I always come away from watching the game over and over with COMPLETELY different views of who is doing their job right or not. Example: There were at least three plays that Brandon could've stopped and cut right and ran forever as the offensive line had EVERYONE locked up to the left, he could've stopped, cut right and ran into the secondary bowling them over. Instead he just looked for a hole in the middle when everything was stuffed. I hope MM shows this to him, and he improves in this area. But, watching the game over and over, I was beside myself at the innovative second half play calls from MM on offense. I never knew what was coming, they used screens, slants, hot routes, tight ends, they passed on many certain run plays, thankfully as the Giants had 8 and 9 in the box. It helped sustain our drives. Shermy had a tendency to run, run, throw on third and long. Wow, really hard to figure out. MM mixes his game plan wonderfully, and I can see it open up more with less tight ends and lineman staying in to block. Very exciting. Our running game will take half the season for these young guys to get what the o-line is doing, but when they do, they will be a force, they are both very difficult to tackle in the open field and almost always make the first guy miss. They have very good open field juke moves and are very quick.

Harlan Huckleby
09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
All this talk has got me filled with digital envy. I went to Amazon, and you can get a SPLENDID TiVo recorder with 80 hours of storage for only $85 after rebate, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD649080-Series2-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000ER5G58/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-8191642-4493508?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190342697&sr=8-3

How do they do it? They buy right! (actually not, as you shall see.)

So I decided to buy the fucker. Got notion to read fine print of rebate form just before clicking the final BUY button - you have to sign-up for the TiVo service to redeem the rebate. :evil:

I bother to mention this here because it really is a great deal. I just don't watch enough other TV to make the TiVo service ($12/mo?) worth it.

Partial
09-20-2007, 10:45 PM
All this talk has got me filled with digital envy. I went to Amazon, and you can get a SPLENDID TiVo recorder with 80 hours of storage for only $85 after rebate, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD649080-Series2-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000ER5G58/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-8191642-4493508?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1190342697&sr=8-3

How do they do it? They buy right! (actually not, as you shall see.)

So I decided to buy the fucker. Got notion to read fine print of rebate form just before clicking the final BUY button - you have to sign-up for the TiVo service to redeem the rebate. :evil:

I bother to mention this here because it really is a great deal. I just don't watch enough other TV to make the TiVo service ($12/mo?) worth it.

TiVo is cool I hear but a rip-off. Just use a regular DVR from your cable provider. TiVo gives you a free 40 hour box if you sign up for their service as well.

DVR is 5 bucks a month from cable providers or if you have the dish its free

Merlin
09-21-2007, 09:03 AM

I don't know about you guys but I record it on my computer using Windows Media Center. Works just fine.

4and12to12and4
09-21-2007, 09:18 AM

I don't know about you guys but I record it on my computer using Windows Media Center. Works just fine.

I wish I knew how to do that, can you fast forward, pause, slo-mo and all that once recorded? How much of your hard drive space does it take?

For all those broke asses out there, my mom bought a $89.99 box from Shopko in Beloit, Wisconsin which allows her to tape (using a scheduler, so she doesn't have to be there when it starts) any program to a VHS Tape, it also comes with a disc player for play only, no recording on the disc. That's the cheapest way to tape and keep the games without getting a satellite company, IMO, unless this computer gig works with Windows Media Center. Don't you have to buy an NFL package online first before you can even do that, Merlin? Please explain in detail how that works. Pack4to84, feel free to add your "computer guru" .02.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2007, 10:56 AM
TiVo is cool I hear but a rip-off. Just use a regular DVR from your cable provider. TiVo gives you a free 40 hour box if you sign up for their service as well.

5 bucks my ass. (excuse confrontational tone, I am frustrated.) Charter wants $15 per month plus $30 installation to lease one of their stupid DVRs . Oh, they'll give it to me for $7/month if I also lease an additional reciever for services I don't want. :evil: :evil:

Damn you Partial! Damn you to hell! Whups, guess I'm taking out my frustrations on you again, sorrry.

All I want is a DVR with minimal capability. A small hard disk is fine. I just don't want to pay over $200 for it. It isn't availabe. I got nothin.

MJZiggy
09-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Check Directv...I have one dish, one box and DVR.

Harlan Huckleby
09-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Check Directv...I have one dish, one box and DVR.

Ziggy, I'm sure that's a good value. There are lots of good solutions, they just don't fit for me. TiVo does not sound like a ripoff, it would be great for most people. I'm happy with my Basic Cable plus internet. I don't watch much TV. JustinHarrell's solution, or getting VHS recorder at Beloit Shopko would work, but I was hoping I could get something a little more convienent for a little more money. Not available.

Partial
09-21-2007, 12:25 PM

5 bucks my ass. (excuse confrontational tone, I am frustrated.) Charter wants $15 per month plus $30 installation to lease one of their stupid DVRs . Oh, they'll give it to me for $7/month if I also lease an additional reciever for services I don't want. :evil: :evil:

Damn you Partial! Damn you to hell! Whups, guess I'm taking out my frustrations on you again, sorrry.

All I want is a DVR with minimal capability. A small hard disk is fine. I just don't want to pay over $200 for it. It isn't availabe. I got nothin.

Move out of madison, then. Charter blows goats.

Terry
09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
OK, DVD-RW is good. But after looking around, DVD-RW is only available in single-layer, meaning it is stuck at 4.7 GB. That's just not good enough to make me happy, I want to be able to record for 3 hours in good quality.

I guess a unit with a hard disk is the way to go.

So I'm back to where I started: I'm too much of a snob to mess around with VHS tapes anymore. And I'm too cheap to buy a TIVO-like recorder.

On a standard 4.7 GB single sided DVD+R or DVD+RW, most DVD recorders will permit 1 hr, 2 hrs, 3 hrs, 4 hrs, or 6 hrs. I seriously doubt if you'd have any problem with the quality of the recording at 3 hrs (LP) or 4 hrs (EP) . You'd be surprised at how good the quality is even with compression.

If you have a DVD player, I suggest you get someone you know with a DVD recorder to record any football game at EP (4 hrs) and check it out for yourself. Certainly LP (3 hrs) is very, very good quality.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Merlin, how do you watch and record Packer games on your computer? Did you buy a package from NFL.com or something? I'd love to know how this works, cuz I've got Windows Media Player.