PDA

View Full Version : Perceptions after the Chargers game

Cheesehead Craig
09-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I almost view this game as a Catch 22 for the Packers. If they beat the Chargers, it will simply be excused that the Chargers aren't that good this year and coming off of flying to NE last week affected them. If they lose to the Chargers, the Pack will be labeled as pretenders and that they can't hang with the elite teams. Anyone else sense that?

oregonpackfan
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't worry too much what others may think of the Packers. I care more about how they actually perform on the field.

Pacopete4
09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
the packers are gonna go 6-0 into the bye week.. just a gut feeling

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't get that; I think a lot of guys out there view the Packers as a legit "playoff" threat. That's several steps forward for the media

Here are the options I sense

1. I think if they get defeated handily we get labled as pretenders
2. I think if we are defeated in a competitive game we still are considered a threat
3. If we win then the media will start jumping on the contender wagon

At this point in the season that sounds reasonable.

Him8123
09-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I could care less about what the media thinks, the media doesn`t get you to the superbowl. Your play on the field does. This is a BIG test for this young Pack. To win this one everyone is gonna have to be on their A game. But if we lose, hopefully it will be a close loss, build up some more confidence. No matter how San Diego has played so far, they are still a deadly team that can strike at any moment. Nonetheless a win will be HUGE.
Go Pack!

4and12to12and4
09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I guarantee you that if the Pack beat the Chargers (and there is no way in hell this is happening, BTW) we will be getting all kinds of love. Our defense will be talked about in the same conversations as the Bears, Ravens, etc. assuming we win because of our defense, which is our only shot. A win against the Chargers will shift all the "experts" proclaiming Brett and the Pack defense as Gods.

I hate to be the party pooper here guys, but, come on, does anyone actually expect us to win this game? We are SO fortunate to be 2-0, let's just assume this is gonna be a loss, and hope for a competitive game with no Packers injurys. That will make me happy. Everything is going against us. There great defense, there great tight end, there bitter loss to the Patriots. They are going to try to make a statement. The only chance we have is to continue our unpredictable playcalling as in the first two games, especially against the Giants, I never knew what we were gonna do, and our RB HAS to block well and get open in the middle, and we need to use screens every drive, at least once a drive to keep them on their heels. Favre must be verym cautious in the middle, they just sit and wait for picks, and our pressure on Rivers has to be GREAT. We can't give him more than about 3 seconds per snap, or he will make us pay with those tight ends and LT in the middle. Especially when we blitz. These all have to go well to even have a chance, not to mention a couple more turnovers than them.

4and12to12and4
09-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Keep in mind, the reason the Patriots made them look bad is that they stretched the line of scrimmage with four receiver sets, and had success passing downfield. We don't have that threat, and they will have eight and nine in the box until we can prove a long game. Without that, we will go NOWHERE in the run game, unless we do some draws on third and 5 or more to keep them on their heels a bit.

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 10:36 PM
I guarantee you that if the Pack beat the Chargers (and there is no way in hell this is happening, BTW) we will be getting all kinds of love. Our defense will be talked about in the same conversations as the Bears, Ravens, etc. assuming we win because of our defense, which is our only shot. A win against the Chargers will shift all the "experts" proclaiming Brett and the Pack defense as Gods.

I hate to be the party pooper here guys, but, come on, does anyone actually expect us to win this game? We are SO fortunate to be 2-0, let's just assume this is gonna be a loss, and hope for a competitive game with no Packers injurys. That will make me happy. Everything is going against us. There great defense, there great tight end, there bitter loss to the Patriots. They are going to try to make a statement. The only chance we have is to continue our unpredictable playcalling as in the first two games, especially against the Giants, I never knew what we were gonna do, and our RB HAS to block well and get open in the middle, and we need to use screens every drive, at least once a drive to keep them on their heels. Favre must be verym cautious in the middle, they just sit and wait for picks, and our pressure on Rivers has to be GREAT. We can't give him more than about 3 seconds per snap, or he will make us pay with those tight ends and LT in the middle. Especially when we blitz. These all have to go well to even have a chance, not to mention a couple more turnovers than them.

I completely agree with nearly all of this. But if the Chargers are still adjusting to the new coaching....and honestly, there have not played up to their potential yet...........

but then reality hits.

Last week I noted to chalk up a win against the terrible Giants defense and if you were a better lay some green on Green Bay.

This week if I were a better I'd be taking the Chargers and the spread.

I just want to look respectable. A win would be a pleasant surprise for me

Bretsky
09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Keep in mind, the reason the Patriots made them look bad is that they stretched the line of scrimmage with four receiver sets, and had success passing downfield. We don't have that threat, and they will have eight and nine in the box until we can prove a long game. Without that, we will go NOWHERE in the run game, unless we do some draws on third and 5 or more to keep them on their heels a bit.

Our offense does not match up well at all with San Diego IMO; the Patriots have a ton of talent at WR. They have better RB's, a better OL, better TE, better WR, and a more effective QB at this point. At least three of their WR's would start for us and possible four. And then a pass receiving TE. We just don't have the firepower to expose them like NE did.

HarveyWallbangers
09-20-2007, 11:01 PM
We've struggled against 3-4 defenses also. Witness 0 first downs in 4 drives by the first team offense against Pittsburgh in the preseason and our struggles against 3-4 teams (Patriots, Jets) last year. I'm hoping for an ugly game--like the Eagles game. Otherwise, we probably get hammered pretty good.