PDA

View Full Version : The Rant Week 2

MJZiggy
09-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Happy reading!

The Rant Week 2
By Merlin

The Packers are 2-0 and it isn’t a dream. Not many predicted the Packers would win their first two games. In fact, some thought they would only win four all season. I was one of those who thought this team would be 1-1 right now. I thought they had a legitimate shot at winning the Philly game for a lot of reasons: READ MORE!! (www.packerrats.com)

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I was some what disappointed at the lack of aggressiveness by the defense in week two. I am sure if they would have blitzed a little more against Eli we would have created more turnovers. I think the players have played good, but Sanders needs to get to little more aggressive in his play calling. I think the defense played very well week one though.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Seems to me that Sanders made the right move by trusting his DL after halftime. It would have been easy to start blitzing a lot after the way the Giants moved the ball in the second quarter (we got good pressure in the first quarter). That would have opened up a lot of plays for Shockey, Burress, Ward, etc. Let's give Sanders some credit here. He had faith that his DL would get pressure and didn't panick. He was right. After the second quarter, I thought we should blitz more. I was wrong. Sanders was right. Blitzing isn't the cure all and end all. You are more likely to get pressure, but you are more likely to give up big plays also.

Merlin
09-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I think we need to disguise more, not necessarily blitz more. If we disguise our blitzes better then then little we do blitz will be more effective. Then when we show a blitz and come with it, it may be more effective. Our blitzes are also ill-timed. 3rd and 5 we blitz? 3rd and long we drop into a 2 deep zone? I think those should be reversed somewhat.

Our front four isn't getting much pressure against the run and we don't have a run blitz. Fortunately we have depth that allows our line to be fresh the entire game. I need to see how we handle the run late in the game, I already know we suck early in the game against it.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Against a great passing team, you take the pass away. We did that in the first two games with minimal damage in the run game. Very good defensive effort. I'll worry about our run defense if we play a team like Chicago or Minnesota and they run all over us. San Diego is a whole different monster, IMHO. I think we'll struggle somewhat against them in all areas.

packers11
09-21-2007, 10:27 AM
"The Packers rank 14th in pass defense (14th overall), but that doesn't tell the whole story. They rank first in lowest completion percentage allowed (47.9%), fourth in opponent passer rating (64.2), tied for sixth in fewest yards allowed per attempt and seventh in points allowed per game (13)."

Source: JS online

I agree they dont disguise enough, but to say the Defense is playing poorly is an exaggeration... They are defiantly holding their ground but COULD play a lot better...

Merlin
09-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I think that they are playing average and not worthy of all of the hype "just yet". I do have faith that they will improve. I am disappointed in a lot of areas that will bite us in the ass if we don't do something about them.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't know how any reasonable person could not be happy with the Packers defense after two weeks. It's been much better than average.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't know how any reasonable person could not be happy with the Packers defense after two weeks. It's been much better than average.

I'm happy with the defense, but I see Merlin's point. If they keep playing the way they have the last two weeks they will probably end up being a top ten defense, but if they are going to become an elite defense they need to take another step up. Hawk needs to start making plays, Woodson needs to be tigher in coverage, the saftey's need to start making some int's, etc.

Overall, very good defense, but yet not great.

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 01:01 PM
There aren't many defenses that are going to completely shut down those offenses that we played. We should very happy with the overall body of work, and realize good offenses will make some good plays on any defense.

Carolina_Packer
09-21-2007, 03:18 PM
It depends on what you expect as a fan. I am not as technical about the formations and strategies as some of you, so you can dig deeper on what you are seeing or hope to see.

I look more at 2-0, look at what we are giving up in scoring, turnovers being forced; a more general look. I think if are looking at it like that, you are happy to be 2-0, and that comes from hopeful (always), but realistic expectations that we might be 1-1 after the first two games.

The fan with the more discerning eye for formations and strategy will probably never be satisfied, sort of like the way the coaches look at it too, I guess. Why would you ever be completely satisfied, I guess, until you are hoisting some hardware at the end of the season?

Wins and and all competetive games regardless of wins and losses breed confidence, and that just keeps growing, and is the synergy that we need to get better as a team.

Maxie the Taxi
09-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I think it's a little too early to rely on season stats to tell us much. I could be wrong, but Philadelphia and the Giants didn't seem to put together a lot of sustained drives, hence they didn't score a lot of points against our defense. Didn't we win the field position battle in both games? Didn't we make a bunch of key 3rd down stops? Like I said, I could be wrong. I'm just going by my impressions.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I am very excited at how dominant our defense looks, but I expected Philly to bounce back and score over 30 points in week two, and they stunk it up. However, the Giants did score 35 points on Dallas, so, that's good. Our d will keep us in every game, as the young safeties get better, as long as we avoid the injury bug, but we really need to have, Ruvell, Jennings, and Holiday in there. It will change our entire offense. Here's to getting them back on the field.

Him8123
09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
I predicted us to be 2-0 so far this year before the season started. Predicted 10-6 on the year. So far so good...

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I predicted us to be 2-0 so far this year before the season started. Predicted 10-6 on the year. So far so good...

Wow, Him, you had us beating the Eagles? Good call. I had us at 0-3. Didn't think we'd win any of our first three and still end up 9-7. I still think we'll end up 9-7, but so far so good. I don't know what made you think we would beat the Eagles. Then again, watching them in week two, maybe you realized their offense wasn't as good as I thought they were gonna be. The only way we beat the Chargers is if we are plus 2 or 3 in turnovers, and if our line gives Rivers 3 seconds or less to find Gates and Co. Plus, Brett's gonna have to continue throwing to our TE's. I think that Brandon will have at least 6 catches in this game. He is gonna be key in getting rid of the ball to him as a checkdown while 13 defenders rush Brett. I hope he's up for the task.

Him8123
09-23-2007, 07:46 AM
well I figured week one in Lambeau, Mcnabb coming off another injury not a 100%, aging defense, Philly is just overrated now. Not what they used to be, plus I had been drinking tons of koolaid the day I made predictions :lol: