PDA

View Full Version : Favre in '08

Brando19
09-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Well the talks are already starting....will he or won't he. I found this on foxsports:
In a national conference call Wednesday, Brett Favre was asked whether the success of the Packers this season would affect his decision to play on for a couple more years. In no uncertain terms, he said yes. "If I play at a high enough level and we, meaning this team and organization, come close or get into the playoffs, have some success, but are just a little bit away, they still feel like I can play, want to pay me what they're paying me to lead this team, and I still felt like I have it left, yes, I see no reasons why (not)," Favre said.

So I guess if they asked him to play for less he'd walk?

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd say you're reading too much into it.

I think what he's saying is that he could be cut because of his salary (and Rodgers). If the team wanted him back and was looking like a contender, he'd come back.

b bulldog
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
But only for $12 million?? Am I reading that correctly?

HarveyWallbangers
09-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Somebody's reaching.

b bulldog
09-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Want to pay me what THEY ARE PAYING ME TO LEAD THIS TEAM! IS MY question a reach?? How am I incorrect?

BF4MVP
09-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Who the hell cares about playing for less....They're not going to ask him to play for less..HES UNDER CONTRACT.

He's saying that they may cut ties with him because his salary is so big, and that would obviously be a factor in whether he plays an 18th season..

RashanGary
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I think Brett knows that he's getting to a point in his career where he might not be worth his salary.

Sounds like he's not willing to take a pay cut. It's either play for 12 mil or cut him. He's basically letting eveyrone know that he knows his time is almost up.

If Rodgers takes another step, I'd be OK with cutting him after this year. I don't know the anwer to that and having Brett line up under center is a pretty comforting thing as a fan. The GM gets paid to make that decision. If they cut Brett I would feel like it was because Rodgers was the better player at 24 than Brett is at 39. I don't think that is a strech either. Brett is still a very good player but he's not irreplacable any more. I just don't know if the guy to replace him is Rodgers. That is TT/MM's call.

Bretsky
09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Is this the new AP thread; not sure how many will get the meaning of that :lol:

the_idle_threat
09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Want to pay me what THEY ARE PAYING ME TO LEAD THIS TEAM! IS MY question a reach?? How am I incorrect?

You are incorrect on principle alone. 8-)

Actually, the way I read it is that he thinks, if anything, that he might be overpaid under the terms of his contract. He's speculating---tongue-in-cheek, I gather---that the Packers may not wanna pay him "what they're paying" (under the terms of his contract) for him to come back.

To everyone other than bulldog: Yes, I know this is obvious and didn't really require detailed explanation.

RashanGary
09-21-2007, 05:41 PM
haha, B.

This conversation is eerily similar to conversations in a far away forum, a long time ago

b bulldog
09-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Well I say I'm correct and you are all wrong, so there :lol: I really do think as Nick pointed out that he will play for 12mil, the amount he is currently getting and no less but truely, both sides of this arguement is purely speculation and Brett is the only person that truely knows. Even the biggest favre fan must admit that he is not worth the money he is making but that point is moot.

Brainerd
09-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Well I say I'm correct and you are all wrong, so there :lol: I really do think as Nick pointed out that he will play for 12mil, the amount he is currently getting and no less but truely, both sides of this arguement is purely speculation and Brett is the only person that truely knows. Even the biggest favre fan must admit that he is not worth the money he is making but that point is moot.

Everyone expects players to honor their contracts but not management? If Favre isn't worth the money he's making then why did the Packers sign the contract?

LEWCWA
09-21-2007, 06:30 PM
He is under contract and knows that they are not guaranteed in the NFL. It is totally up to the Packers.

Partial
09-21-2007, 06:31 PM
They're not going to cut Favre. Likewise, unless he is terrible they aren't going to cut ties with Rodgers. I could see them trying to hammer out a long term extension with Rodgers next season if Favre comes back. He is making pretty good money to sit on the bench and honestly its not a bad gig. He's prolonging his career by avoiding injury and he'll still get paid. Plus, he'll have a better understanding of the game when his time in the spotlight comes.

LEWCWA
09-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Anyhow, the amount he gets paid isn't really that detrimental to the cap with its huge increases the last few years!

RashanGary
09-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Anyhow, the amount he gets paid isn't really that detrimental to the cap with its huge increases the last few years!

I agree. 12 mil isn't what it used to be. We havn't seen any elite players (Manning, Brady, ect) come up since the massive increase the last two years. I wouldn't be surpised to see 20 - 30 mil per year for top guys.

RashanGary
09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
7 year 200 mil wouldn't suprise me at all when the next superstar QB comes up. Who is the next superstar QB though? Jamarcus Russel? Brady Quinn? I don't know that there is a Manning or Brady in the bunch but as soon as one comes up, it will make Favres salary look small.

CaliforniaCheez
09-21-2007, 07:39 PM
As far under the cap as they are now, Ted does not want to be the man who cut Brett Favre.

Without a long term President Ted has as much power with the Packers now as he will ever.

Again, Brett gives an honest and forthcoming opinion and like the old E.F. Hutton commercials, everyone pays attention.

This is a nonissue.

I almost wish I had not said anything about it.

Freak Out
09-21-2007, 07:46 PM
He needs to start responding with "I'll retire when I'm 62" or something like that. WTF do they think he's going to say anymore? When he decides to retire and feels like telling the press he will.

b bulldog
09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I posted on this but I must say, this is truely a boring topic.

Joemailman
09-21-2007, 08:09 PM
There are 3 things, any of which would cause Favre to retire:

1. Packers win the Super Bowl this year.

2. Favre suffers a serious injury.

3. Packers decline in the 2nd half of the season and finish out of playoff contention.

I don't think any of these will happen. so look for him to be here in 2008.

Tony Oday
09-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I dont think he will quit at all. If this is a 9-7 team FOR SURE he comes back if its a 7-9 team he will STILL come back.

I took the way he said "what they are paying me" as damn are you kidding I play a GAME and get paid loot! BAHAHAHAHAHHA I will do this until they car tme off the field!

b bulldog
09-21-2007, 08:18 PM
For what these guys are getting paid, it would be real hard to walk away from. Once you are gone, that sense of stardom goes out a bit year by year.

MadtownPacker
09-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Before any talk even starts about Favre being overpaid, just look at all the recent high draft picks who have fizzled. If those chumps got the big money they got there is no reason for a player like #4 to take a pay cut.

b bulldog
09-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Good point but two wrongs do not make a right :lol:

woodbuck27
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Favre is saying just what he always says RE: Packer Management and his association (role) and salary (cost money wise) to the Packer organization.

"If I play at a high enough level and we, meaning this team and organization, come close or get into the playoffs, have some success, but are just a little bit away, they still feel like I can play, want to pay me what they're paying me to lead this team, and I still felt like I have it left, yes, I see no reasons why (not)," Favre said.

Favre is under contract through 2010. He won't take a pay cut with our CAP situation as it is or very healthy. Favre would defer payment to get a valued FA or new player by any means.

See Randy Moss.

The Packer management won't cut Brett Favre.

He will play very well this season inspite of few weapons overall on offense and a green backfield ( as oppposed to a GOLD and GREEN :) ). He will make the best of a poor situation talent wise on offense because he is becoming a different more patient QB. The influence of Mike McCarthy and Tom Clemens (or is it Clements? . . .I always forget and once he played up here for the Argos I believe) is helping us see that with Brett. He only threw the ball 38 times last week which is better too as we had some ground game in us.

Brett has to be estatic that we are 2-0 and I'll bet he believes we can beat the Chargers with the right game plan. That start and the fact he's having fun early this season has him pumped to return in 2008 and he will return as long as we win 7 or 8 games.

I'm starting to almost believe we could win 8 games or more. I want tom see how we perform in the three games before our bye week.

The clothes come off this Sunday. This is a dress rehersal against a top 3-5 NFL team. The next two games will tell us more about the NFCN.

I believe as long as McCarthy keeps Favre on the same page with hin and vice versa that Favre will be encouraged. If we start to loose then that's another can of beans with no pork.

Cost of Favre Vs cost of Aaron Rodgers with our CAP health good shouts Favre.

The issue is going to be will Aaron Rodgers stay in Green Bay and how will that rest on him to be back-up again. He'll not ever beat out Favre because Favre back means that he knows he still has it and isn't chalenged by Aaron Rodgers for NO. 1 QB.

In other words.That he is confident that he is a superior QB.

I treally believe that Brett Favre will play again in the NFL for the Packers in 2008 unless we take a really bad slide. I predicted a 7-9 record.

It looks more now to me like 8-8.

On the flip side.

It also looks like the NFCN may be closer to becoming the Black and Blue again. NFCN teams are 6-2 after 2 weeks. That signals respectability may be on the rise for the NFCN.

That takes me back to 7-9.

GO PACKERS !