PDA

View Full Version : Packers reward Tauscher by reworking his contract

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Packers reward Tauscher by reworking his contract
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have renegotiated the final two years of tackle Mark Tauscher's contract, giving him an additional $2.8 million in roster and workout bonuses, sources told the Journal Sentinel.

General manager Ted Thompson declined to confirm or deny the report, saying, "That's between us and Mark Tauscher."

Tauscher wasn't available Friday during the period when the locker room was open to reporters, and then didn't return a request for a telephone interview.

"Whatever it is, he deserves it," said cornerback Al Harris, who received a similar type of pay increase from the club in February. "I'm so happy for 'Tausch.' He's a very, very good and underrated football player."

According to National Football League Players Association salary figures, Tauscher signed the deal Sept. 8, one day before the regular-season opener.

In both 2007 and '08, Tauscher will receive roster bonuses of $1.3 million. In '08, he will get a workout bonus of $200,000.

The roster bonuses were structured the same each year, with Tauscher getting $600,000 for being on the 45-man active roster for the opener and then $700,000, divided into payments of $43,750, for each of the remaining 16 weeks that he's on the active roster.

A source close to the situation said Tauscher and his agent, David Cornrich, privately had registered their dissatisfaction with team officials about the six-year, $16.5 million deal that he signed in November 2002. Tauscher's point was that he had outperformed it.

That contract, which averaged $2.776 million, ranked Tauscher 14th on the team in average-per-year compensation. His new deal, which averages $4.515 million, moves him past Scott Wells, A.J. Hawk, Ryan Pickett, Cullen Jenkins and Bubba Franks and into ninth place.

Among the 64 starting tackles on opening day, Tauscher would have ranked 37th with his previous average-per-year compensation. With his new deal, he leapfrogged to 23rd. In July, Pro Football Weekly ranked him as the league's 22nd-best tackle.

Left tackle Chad Clifton, who has 97 starts in seven-plus seasons compared with 93 for Tauscher, leads the offensive line with an average of $5.392 million per year.

"If they did, I think it's very well deserved," said defensive end Aaron Kampman, who opposes Tauscher daily in practice. "They put him on an island a lot and people don't get production off him."

The Packers gave Tauscher the chance to earn the extra $2.8 million without getting anything in return. Because his contract wasn't extended, Tauscher still would become an unrestricted free agent in March 2009.

Whether the team even tried for a long-term extension that would have ensured that Tauscher ended his career in his home state is unknown.

"There's a lot of discussions that go on in a deal like that," Thompson said. "This is where the two parties felt comfortable."

It's possible that the Packers think Tony Moll will be ready to replace Tauscher in two years, if not sooner. Tauscher, 30, isn't as massive as many right tackles and, as a result, has left something to be desired as a run blocker.

However, the Packers also are well aware that Tauscher, a seventh-round draft choice in 2000, has allowed merely 12 sacks in his career mainly because of his resourcefulness, balance and technique.

"I think he's doing OK," Thompson replied when asked how Tauscher had started the season. "He's been a good pro here for a long time and we like him being here. Offensive linemen are pretty much in their prime about this time. We'll see. He's been relatively healthy."

Tauscher missed five games last season with a torn groin but impressed the coaches by returning for the final two weeks.

In September 2002, Tauscher blew out his knee in New Orleans and underwent reconstructive knee surgery. Two months later, with limited leverage, he decided to take a signing bonus of merely $1.5 million in return for a six-year extension. He had to wait until March 2004 to cash a roster bonus of $2.25 million.

Ever the good soldier, Tauscher didn't complain about his contract even as compensation for offensive linemen skyrocketed. In effect, the club probably was doing him a favor in return for his performance and loyalty.

Harris got $4 million in roster bonuses over the remaining three years of his contract but in return had to extend his contract two extra years.

In August, the Packers added one year to Donald Driver's deal. In return, Driver received $6.3 million in roster and workout bonuses from 2007-'09 and so-called "new money" totaling $4.2 million in 2010.

Like Tauscher, Harris and Driver must be on the 45-man roster to cash the roster bonuses.

"Philosophically, we feel like it's important for the club to recognize that the landscape changed a little bit with the collective bargaining agreement," Thompson said. "This is a mechanism that we've used to kind of help bridge that."

Not along ago, the Packers were averse to renegotiations. They refused to offer more money to Javon Walker in 2005 after he had outperformed the last two years on his contract, then traded the embittered wide receiver in April 2006.

"If you've got a happy locker room with guys that are happy about the business side of it and are enthusiastic about playing, you've got a really good football team," Harris said. "There's no bitchin'. None at all. Not that I know of."

Tauscher now counts $4.743 million against the salary cap, leaving the Packers $11.975 million of room.

"I think Ted's making a statement," Harris said. "They say there's no loyalty in the game, and in some cases that is true. But it really, really means a lot to players when they do come and take care of you.

"Money is a big thing, a real big thing. The thing about it is, if you're feeling you're underpaid, it's hard to go out every Sunday. Last year was hard for me. Ted really did (listen)."

woodbuck27
09-22-2007, 04:34 AM
If TT was going to start at the top and extend a Packer then Tauscher wasn't a poor choice.

GO PACK GO !

b bulldog
09-22-2007, 05:57 AM
I like Mark but he hasn't been dominating at T this year

woodbuck27
09-22-2007, 05:59 AM

He has not looked consistent or comfortable with the ZBS.

Bretsky
09-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Hail to the Badger !
Only given up 12 sacks in his career. Nice

woodbuck27
09-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Hail to the Badger !
Only given up 12 sacks in his career. Nice

That is very impressive. I can't knock this down to business blue collar style football player even if he seems a little less comfortable since the ZBS became his steady diet.

LL2
09-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I like this line.

"Money is a big thing, a real big thing. The thing about it is, if you're feeling you're underpaid, it's hard to go out every Sunday. Last year was hard for me. Ted really did (listen)."

I think we all complain about all the unused money under the cap, but TT has been showing a trend of rewarding players with extensions and bonuses. It's important to players to see that they will be rewarded. I wonder if Kampman will be next.

RashanGary
09-22-2007, 08:13 AM

Nope, and he's getting paid like the 23rd best so he shouldn't be.

Harlan Huckleby
09-22-2007, 08:29 AM
I have queezy feeling that Tauscher is big-time on the down side. Or maybe its just the fish I ate at Old Country Buffett last night.

Patler
09-22-2007, 10:01 AM
The Packers gave Tauscher the chance to earn the extra $2.8 million without getting anything in return. Because his contract wasn't extended, Tauscher still would become an unrestricted free agent in March 2009.

This is extremely unusual. Essentially giving him a few million for nothing in return, no extension. This is very unusual, to not have tied it to at least a team-option additional year or something.

It indicates they really felt his contract was grossly inadequate.

Spaulding
09-22-2007, 10:03 AM
As with any job, a few atta boys, monetary awards, etc. sometimes go a long ways towards toward motivation and attitude.

A team full of players who love the game and also respect the organization and coaching who take care them will almost always lead to better results than an organization with more talent but less chemistry/camaraderie.

I like it, even if he's on the downside of his career. I assume they see that he still has enough left in the tank to finish out his contract at a reasonably high level of play which will allow Moll and/or Barbe to mature and develop.

Patler
09-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Not along ago, the Packers were averse to renegotiations. They refused to offer more money to Javon Walker in 2005 after he had outperformed the last two years on his contract, then traded the embittered wide receiver in April 2006.

Who said Walker outperformed it? Some would dispute that one season, no matter how good, is outperforming a first round pick's contract.

RashanGary
09-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Ted Thompson said that it is an unusual enviornment with the CBA changing so drastically. It sounded like he was trying to do what is fair for the players in light of the changes.

He's not giving them the current UFA market value but he's upping it to a point where they are not getting hurt by the circumstances so much.

Patler
09-22-2007, 10:10 AM

Ted Thompson said that it is an unusual enviornment with the CBA changing so drastically. It sounded like he was trying to do what is fair for the players in light of the changes.

He's not giving them the current UFA market value but he's upping it to a point where they are not getting hurt by the circumstances so much.

It is still unusual to get nothing for the team in return.

Rastak
09-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Unusual but not unprecedented.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2007, 10:24 AM

I think they got something in return. Look how the deal was structured.

In both 2007 and '08, Tauscher will receive roster bonuses of $1.3 million. In '08, he will get a workout bonus of $200,000.

The roster bonuses were structured the same each year, with Tauscher getting $600,000 for being on the 45-man active roster for the opener and then $700,000, divided into payments of $43,750, for each of the remaining 16 weeks that he's on the active roster.

This deal is holdout insurance for the Packers.

Scott Campbell
09-22-2007, 10:32 AM
The original contract appears to be the exceptionally rare exception to the rule that Sherman grossly overpaid people.

Patler
09-22-2007, 10:43 AM

Unusual but not unprecedented.

Yup, that's what I said, unusual, not unheard of or unprecedented; but I can't recall the last time the Packers did it. Nor can I think of an example from another team, although I suspect that there probably are.

Who have the Vikings done it with?

RashanGary
09-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Yeah. About the only thing they get is the fostering of good will in the lockerroom. It might help fuel more positive and loyalty based discussions at the negotiation table.

The big picture concept of fitting talent under the cap is easy to grasp, IMO. Everyone has the same amount of money. The goal is to get more talent for your money than the next guy. The details are easy to get lost in, but everything gets tied back to this basic concept.

Getting guys to sign underpaid contracts to avoid injury is a very obvious way to fit more talent under the cap. However, it seems that guys start to feel a little betrayed and get a gereral sense that loyalty does not exist. They begin to look for a way out. If the team is going to be all buisness and ignore the personal aspect of doing buisness, then the team member might feel that it's best to just get the hell out of town at the highest ticket price. Guys like Green who were underpaid their whole career might feel the urge to get to the UFA market where he can do the smart buisness decision and go to the highest bidder. We raped him short term, but he left us long term. I'm not so sure the screwing him over short term was the best decision with the big picture in mind. Sure, it's part of the buisness, but a guy leaving to the highest bidder without early discussions is also part of the buisness.

Decisions like this might not be great for the short term salary cap health, but it might be good for the long term by building good will at the negotiation table in the long term. Maybe if we had paid Green a little more over the last 5 years that he would have been willing to stay here for the next two. Maybe there is some big picture thought here instead of just seeing the short term gain.

I slopped this together. I'm not a great communicator. Hopefully the concept that I'm trying to get accross, gets across. I think it might explain why this type of decision could be good for buisness and good for the people involved.

Patler
09-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Guys like Green who were underpaid their whole career might feel the urge to get to the UFA market where he can do the smart buisness decision and go to the highest bidder. We raped him short term, but he left us long term. I'm not so sure the screwing him over short term was the best decision with the big picture in mind. Sure, it's part of the buisness, but a guy leaving to the highest bidder without early discussions is also part of the buisness.

Decisions like this might not be great for the short term salary cap health, but it might be good for the long term by building good will at the negotiation table in the long term. Maybe if we had paid Green a little more over the last 5 years that he would have been willing to stay here for the next two. Maybe there is some big picture thought here instead of just seeing the short term gain.

I think your view on Green is overly harsh. Green may have been underpaid at times, and cumulatively for his time in GB may have been a little underpaid, but not a lot. In terms of cap value, Green was #7 among RBs in 2003, #6 in 2004 and #5 in 2005 behind only James, Tomlinson, Alexander and Johnson. Its hard to argue he was too much underpaid when he was in the top 10 for 3 consecutive years. However. some of the others had one or two elite years of income, when they were well-above the others. Green never had. That's what he rolled the dice for this time.

In 2006, I think the Packers were more than fair to pay him over $2 million when he was coming back from an injury that really no one knew much about.

MadtownPacker
09-22-2007, 11:16 AM
This is not a bad move at all. It shows that loyalty and hard work are rewarded. Maybe this will help the Pack start looking more appealing to FAs.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I didn't look at the structure, but I doubt it didn't benefit the Packers at all. Anybody know the structure of his old contract? Maybe his old contract would get expensive in the next two years, and this pushes more money into this year (when we have money). Considering that the Packers lost $2M in cap space, that's probably exactly what it is. Also, it looks like it's worth more money--only if Tausch continues to perform. Nothing wrong with that. Gives him more incentive, and makes him more likely to give the Packers a hometown discount when he does become a FA. I see nothing wrong with rewarding your own. This type of thing gets around the league, and the players will know that the organization rewards its players.

Maxie the Taxi
09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Guys like Green who were underpaid their whole career...

Underpaid is a relative term...

"Back in the days [Dave] Robinson was playing, he said there wasn't the big money there is today.

"When I was drafted,'' said Robinson, "Vince (Lombardi, who was the GM and coach) gave me a choice of signing a no-cut contract for $12,000 or a no-guarantee contract for $15,000. I took the $15,000 and made the team. I found out later that Ray Nitschke -- who was the league MVP the year before -- was only getting $12,000. The next year, Ray went to Vince with all his numbers and asked for $14,500. But Vince gave him $16,000. Ray found out it was because of what I had signed for and he told me: 'I like you, kid.' In those days, we had to work in the off-season because we didn't make that much money playing football. I worked at a beer distributorship in the off-season and later became a partner in it after I retired from football.

"By the time we got to Super Bowl I, I was making $35,000 a year and the check we got for winning that game ($20,000) nearly doubled my salary for the year. On my last contract, my base was $81,000.''

(from Tricities Sports.com)

Patler
09-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I didn't look at the structure, but I doubt it didn't benefit the Packers at all. Anybody know the structure of his old contract? Maybe his old contract would get expensive in the next two years, and this pushes more money into this year (when we have money). Considering that the Packers lost $2M in cap space, that's probably exactly what it is. Also, it looks like it's worth more money--only if Tausch continues to perform. Nothing wrong with that. Gives him more incentive, and makes him more likely to give the Packers a hometown discount when he does become a FA. I see nothing wrong with rewarding your own. This type of thing gets around the league, and the players will know that the organization rewards its players.

According to the articles I've seen, it is all new money and only part of it is based on him being on the active roster each game. Much of it is an initial season roster bonus, the first one of which has already been earned this year.

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2007, 11:48 PM
This is a situation that wasn't allowed to fester. The agent handled it the right way. The Packers have the money and the cap room. Tauscher is just the kind of guy you want on the team.

McGinn didn't beat the drum for his favorite guy, Coston. He only mentioned Moll.

Tauscher's deal was made right after his injury and was at a bit of a discount in 2002.

I think this is really a good deal for the Packers even without an extension.
There is some good politics in doing this deal and being perceived as fair to a nice guy who perfoms and doesn't complain.

He is a heck of a lot better than Mr. low back pain whom he replaced.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I have written a lot of posts saying we screwed Green, but as I remember some past games, I do remember he lost some big games for us by fumblong the football, the biggest, the playoff game against the Rams, three fumbles. Didn't he lose the Saints game last year on a goal line fumble? That kept us out of the playoffs ultimately. So, I'm backtracking on my stance on him. He got what he deserved. He will be injured before the end of the season, IMO. But then again i guaranteed Moss would suffer a career ending injury against the Chargers, so what the hell do I know? :oops: